Code is the new literacy now.

Does he mean code as in computer programming, or either of the above?

In any case, I think system’s theory is an important topic. I have a book on Social Rule Systems Theory and in it the hegelian dialectic is used in rule formation.

I was getting pretty interested in systems theory before, but it’s such a deep topic and really more of a technique or paradigm, and relies a lot on assumptions that philosophy attempts to move beyond and look at from above.

I found these links particularly interesting:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-organization

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_order

For a moment I thought that anarchism was being used purposely as a control mechanism (kind of ridiculous, although I still don’t know that it isn’t… but the burden is in the proof, after all.)

Cybernetics is also important in connection to system’s theory. In the book Fire in the Minds of Men, Billington writes, “In 1843, B.F. Trentowski invented the word “cybernetics” to describe the new form of rational social technology which he believed would transform the human condition. In his neglected work, The Relationship of Philosophy to Cybernetics, or the art of ruling nations he also invented the word “intelligensia”.”

In the book Sociocybernetics, edited by Geyer and Zouwen, it says cybernetics comes from the Greek word for “steersman” and relates to the art of steering nations. Later in the book it says total control is unnecissary and even undesirable.

Incorrect, “code” has always been the literacy, unchanged for thousands of years.

Just because it is “new” to you, doesn’t mean it is new to the creators and manipulators of this code, who’ve known about it all along.

So edgy.

17k posts.

There is nothing stopping you or anyone from being literate in this age. Resources abound. Regardless of how old u are.

Besides 17k posts.

It’s exciting to be part of something current, and alive. All these ‘systems’ you guys have hatched up are going nowhere. The relevant works of art to this age are all digital. I came to this conclusion after posting here for a long time. I have seen the light.

Join me.

Step into the light.

All the arguing. The bickering.

The feeling of, “why doesn’t everyone else get this?”

Let it fall away from you.

And go create something. Something transformative. Something disruptive. Something great.

Digital can be good, but analogue, that’s where it’s at. I presume luddites is ironic or this thread is.

I’m being 100% serious. Literacy is something relative to each Epoch. Being able to speak English isn’t what literacy means any more. I think you get that is the case. I mean, just look around you.

We live in a time where, if you have the right idea, and you have the ability to make it come to life, you can literally bend the world to your will.

Soon, if you do not know how to program, you will not have the (native) ability to enact your will in the same way.

I think the above is worth discussing.

There is certainly another kind of literacy present nowadays, but I don’t think it is the literacy. I mean, you can get a job with being able to program, but you have a much harder time with whatever the official language is, let alone without a language. I think also there is a movement away from reality, or, shall we say, analogue reality, and those who are heading out will either code or immerse themselves in virtual ‘things’ or both. I see no need to replace analogue reality and plan to stay. Call me a, well, luddite, or neo-luddite, or earth born mammal who does not want to replace everything or the guy who thinks that a computer generated image of silvery not quite, but quite amazingly almost real looking waves is boring and ugly compared to real waves, even photos of real waves, even digital photos of real waves. YOu can see people are not longer here. No longer participating as much. They are not as much with the one they are physically near, but staring into their phones and blackberries. Not quite on the road, but talking to someone not present but about nothing. (these examples just previews and while common not the most profound leaving taking place now) True, before, they might have driven along thinking pretty much nothing - though even that is better, because in that nothing you caught small whiffs of yourself or could. This may be taken as metaphorical, but I think it is literal. I think entities are choosing to leave, and while I view this decision with a smattering of sympathy, real life being fucking hard, I will also not be sad to see them go. Or not see them as they go more and more. So I don’t really see a replacement, but a bifurification. And the fence sitters will experience the most agony.

Tell more.
You are without a doubt on a fertile track. I have been interested in getting into coding for many years. Never found a sensible entry point.

I think this is just programmers going nuts with their passion. Someone’s giving them way too many compliments lately.

I’m not even a programmer. Not really.

But I recognize the above to still be true.

Do you disagree that literacy is relative to each epoch?

Sure. Where did I say you can’t use a computer and be in touch with… the beach?

She’s not in touch with the beach.

Sure, idiotic language literacy has been putting people out of touch with reality also, but the changes in the last ten years are still there. I never saw 20 year old couples out on the town together, spending a weekend at a hotel, sitting in a restaurant, at a club together, both reading the newspaper. I could give many other kinds of examples. That image looks posed with the woman on the beach, but people do this. And they take photos with their phones of everything. when you take photos, like that, you notice less details. They live in ideas/categories, not specifics. The new digital techs are hardly the only ways one can disappear, not something I asserted, but we now have more and more intoxicating ways to not be present and they start early and the dissociation is increasing in speed.

And a photo of what people do while commuting is not a good example. You could have shown me a photo of people watching TV. Sure, other types of tech have added to people disappearing a little here and a little there. New tech is more portable, more addictive and now endemic.

and they are probably also, while commuting, reading Metro or some other trash paper - iow one with less real journalism in them then the ones in those photos, but nice stories about entertainment figures and diet, sure. Reality is receding…

and from my empathy is declining thread…

sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 094240.htm

We should be waving to them, as if they were a ship pulling out from the pier, heading to what amounts to another world, a world not made of matter.

Shall we talk about the increases in sales of psychotropic medicines?

Bye, bye…