A Grey Day

I have made my point.

Pandora, there’s a very simple solution to your problem.

You see, we aren’t in this thread to debate about what person thinks is beautiful and another doesn’t. It’s fine if you don’t like my photos, or Anita’s, or Tent’s. You think they are boring, I get that, but don’t worry – it doesn’t bother me, and I’m pretty certain it doesn’t bother Anita or Tent either. All you need to do is stop trying to argue with anyone who doesn’t see things the same way you do. It’s fairly simple. You don’t really have to say anything at all, considering how much it bothers you. You should probably just stay away. However, if you really feel so strongly about the issue that you feel you must say something, try starting a decent conversation rather than acting like an asshole. You’d be surprised at how much more you can get out of a conversation, even if you don’t agree with anything the other party says, if you just don’t act like an asshole.

I was being decent until people started resorting to sarcasm and condescension. I don’t see storm clouds as 'beautiful’ and inviting, and they don’t ‘tease’ me with mysteries. I said it straight up. Most people don’t see it that way, either. And those who do still have not explained to me why they perceive it this way.

The philosophy forum was not designed so that we can spend time complementing and agreeing with each other. This place was designed for members to contest other people’s views. If you can’t handle it, then maybe you should find another (friendlier) forum where people will spend more time complementing you than contesting you.

I believe we have somewhat answered your question, but you don’t seem to have much real interest in knowing our answers. Tent said storm clouds tease him with mysteries. That is part of the reason he thinks they’re beautiful. Get it?

So you don’t understand the difference between contesting someone else’s view, and acting like an asshole? Ah, now I see why you act the way you do. You just don’t know the difference. How sad.

Cool pics, Blurred.

Wait, is there more than one person posting under the Pandora handle? You know what? I think I’ll just stop myself here. Anyone into Maxfield Parrish is usually okay with me.

Anyway, yeah, cool pics Blurred.

Oh, and I like that middle one, Anita. [size=50](and by middle one, I mean the picture. Just making sure. I don’t know how you guys might run with that)[/size]

Tent, you’re just showing off. You have to realize that at some point the whole ‘look ma no hands’ thing makes the rest of us look bad. (not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just, you know, kinda hard to live up to. I guess I’m just asking you to quit messing with the bar. Okay, you can mess with it to inspire the rest of us, but don’t do it just to screw with us. That would just be mean. Then again…)

Okay, I’m done.

What kind of a person feels ‘teased’ by clouds when most do not? What kind of a person finds beauty in overcast skies, when most see beauty in sunshine and sunset colors?

This is not me being an asshole (I promise you). I think you are being way too sensitive.

Okay, why do you seem to equate “popular” with “beautiful”? And why does it not occur to you that a person may see beauty in overcast skies, and also in sunshine and sunset colors? Must it always be one or the other with you?

Oh I’m sorry, you’ve misunderstood me. An asshole doesn’t hurt feelings. An asshole just goes around saying asinine, obnoxious shit.

Some pics I just took. This is what the sky looks like right now.
DSC01044.JPG
DSC01045.JPG
DSC01046.JPG

What kind of a person feels ‘teased’ by storm clouds when most do not? What kind of a person finds beauty in overcast skies, when most see beauty in sunshine and sunset colors?

There are some things that people will look at and 99% of them will say “this is beautiful!” There are other things that people may look at and only 50% or so will say “this is beautiful”. There are some things that people will look at and only 1-2% will say "this is beautiful. So, there’s has got to be a somewhat objective quality of beautiful in a given thing, or phenomenon. Considering the perceptions of populace, some things are always seen as beautiful, some are sometimes, and some rarely. Have you seen people look at a beautiful-as-seen-by-most sunset and say “it is ugly”? I haven’t. Overcast skies and grey atmosphere are one of those things where only a small percentage find beautiful. Why? Do they, due to some corruption of the psyche, misplace their judgment of beautiful? This view would make sense from evolutionary standpoint. A person who feels teased by and is attracted to things like storm clouds is more likely to be injured or even die.

You are the one who have chosen one over the others. You have chosen the grey day. Why? Why not a sunny beach with happy people walking by, or a colorful sunset?

Much better.

Because, Pandora, I didn’t have a sunny beach with happy people walking by, or a colorful sunset. I had a grey, rainy day full of it’s own kind of beauty and wonder, and I chose to experience it rather than sit in my apartment. I have also experienced the sunny days full of bright colors. I appreciate them both, for different reasons. You’ve made it abundantly clear that you don’t agree that a grey day can be beautiful, and you find our reasons for feeling differently than you unsatisfactory, but they are the answers we have given you and I for one am not inclined to continue this back-and-forth. You can continue for the rest of your life to believe that anything you don’t understand is some sort of evil deviation from the norm that gives you a clear view of a sick, perverted mind. Coming from you, I would actually consider it a compliment.

So working for the Forest Service definitely has its benefits :laughing: That circle of mushrooms I found is marasmius oreadus, more commonly known as a fairy ring.

yum

Hey Pandora check out the vids I put up

this is the reason we have such interest in black and white… listen to the second list lmao

Damn! I thought this thread had been pretty much dealt with. Now I find that there are more beautiful pics by Blurred, and I’m being castigated for for using the term “teasing” when talking about nature.

First, those shots are knock dead beautiful, Blurred. You are so lucky to have an openess to the whole sky. The pics are panoramic majesty.

Second, just for pandora, a rambling explanation. I live in desert country with mountains north and south of me. In the summer, it can get hotter than hell here. every few days, moist air will come in from the south and because of the mountains, get pushed into the upper atmosphere where that moisture turns to clouds that push on into the valley I live in. Oh, for a few drops of rain to cool things off! But it rarely happens, It rains, but the rain evaporates befor it hits the ground. If that isn’t teasing, I don’t know what else to call it. I could go further and explain and expand on the meteorlogical phenomenom, but that isn’t necessary for me to connect clouds laden with moisture to the metaphor “teasing”. That you can’t envision the connection isn’t my problem. Beyond that, I see beauty in the latent possibilities of nature’s grand shows. Will there be lightning and thunder? Wind? Rain? Sometimes, the anticipation created by watching those clouds roll in is it’s own beauty. Just to confuse and alienate you further, I’ve seen clouds that are pregnant with rain. Huge dark rolling clouds that have yet to release their moisture but will soon. It’s watching the immanent birth of a rain storm, and to me that’s beautiful. Again, if you can’t appreciate that, it’s not my problem. But that is just part of black, white, and grey. Almost anyone can produce acceptable color pics. Everyone likes a kodachrome moment. What might fail in composition is masked over by the oooh, pretty colors! It takes a good eye to “see” in black and white, and to compose a photo that evokes what most see as beauty.

I suspect that you are attempting to call out the inane bullshit exclamations of “everything is beautiful”. I’d agree with that. I get tired of those who look at ticky tacky junk and call it beautiful so as to not hurt feelings. I hate fake “beautiful”. I think most here would agree with that. But the issue isn’t even color or lack of color. What is beautiful is whatever strikes that chord in us that we respond with the term, “beautiful”.

One more time, be careful with dissing the POV of others simply because you don’t understand or like what they’ve decided is beautiful.

FWIW, I’ve critiqued some of Anita’s photos not to diss her work, but to maybe give hints how to make them better. I haven’t critiqued any of Blurred’s photos. I’m afraid of her. :laughing:

Critique away, tent. Contructive criticism is a good thing.

Or what? You’ll seek AnitaS with her cartoon clouds on me?

I’m terrified.

Nope. Anita can fend for herself - quite well as she has demonstrated. She needs no help from me.

FWIW, I’ve taken cloud pics and un-retouched, look like faked photoshopped creations. You may need to get out a little more and observe what is going on around you. Nature provides some wild images from time to time. You also might think about the difference between an opinionated critique and an accusatory put down. There might be a teensy bit of difference in how you come off to others. But maybe not. You don’t seem to care who you alienate.

I’m headed out and about this weekend to catch some waterfalls and check out a place called Pictured Rocks, which is supposed to be absolutely gorgeous. I’m bringing the camera :slight_smile: Can’t wait to show you guys what I see.

be good or be safe