A Grey Day

Posting some pics from a grey day at the beach.
012.JPG
006.JPG
002.JPG

Breakers
030.JPG
027.JPG
031.JPG

A few more.
100.JPG
076.JPG
059.JPG

Okay, I’m done now. Had fun, though :slight_smile:
114.JPG
112.JPG

Why do you want to share a grey day with us?

Because it was beautiful.

Great photos, Blurred, I especially like the one with the clouds rolling in. Lake Michigan, right? (edit - oops sorry, I see you explicitly state that in one of the captions)

Lake Superior is one of my all-time favorite road trip destinations - most would probably consider it provincial compared to more “glamorous” places, but there is something about it, its vastness, its power, its stormy nature, its maritime history of tragedy, that has always captivated me. Whenever I’m there, I feel like I’m home - no idea why, I didn’t grow up there, but I just love it.

Thanks for sharing these. :slight_smile:

Anita, I love Lake Superior as well. It was only a 3 hour drive away from where I grew up, so I spent some time there when I was a kid, and then in my adult years with friends, past Duluth near like, Two Harbors. It’s absolutely beautiful.

I don’t think beautiful is the word I’d use to describe it. It’s overcast and void of color. (and although it is dynamic, it is not ‘inviting’). Most people would prefer to go indoors instead on a day like that, and I would certainly understand them. Most people would not find beauty in a day like that.

You don’t have to call it beautiful, Pandora - to each her own. Some of us find it both beautiful and very inviting, obviously.

Do you seriously go indoors just because it’s cloudy? That’s a shame.

Here in the Midwest, our summers are relatively short. Consequently, we try to make the most of it; we are outside every possible moment that we can be. And if you’re fortunate enough to be spending the day on the shore of one of the Great Lakes, you revel in the chance to observe the majesty and might of storm clouds rolling in over the lake - I can’t imagine why anyone would want to go indoors. It’s an amazing and awe-inspiring sight.

So is a tornado. It doesn’t make it beautiful.

Pandora

I can appreciate the subtle greys and blues (*edit - and browns LoL) of the water and sky on a day like this, the beauty of the clouds that threaten to unleash turmoil, the rolling of the waves and the sparkling of the water as it flies into the air when those waves break against the rocks. Also, I experienced what you cannot gather from these pictures, the fresh smell of the cool wind whipping across the lake, the roaring of such a large body of water being tossed about. Yes, as Anita said, when you live in this part of the country you take advantage of the summer. This week we’ve seen a break from the oppressive heat and humidity of the last month and a half, a truly beautiful summer day (yes, even with the clouds). I took to exploring at the insistance of a friend who would see me shake off the soul-rot I’ve been experiencing as of late, and I loved every moment of it. I’m sorry for you that you cannot appreciate the beauty of nature in all its moods.

Really?

And here I thought beauty was subjective…so comforting to know we have the Authority on Beauty right here at ILP.

:unamused:

Nice work. She has a good eye, doesn’t she, anita? There is something special about grey days… untold secrets, the promise of latent power as clouds tease us with the mysteries of what may come. The wind huffs, puffs, and swirls, adding to the mystery. It is a delightful anticipation… A grey day on any beach rivals a sunny day at the Louvre. Kodachrome is a splash of water, but black and white and greys are the mists of the mystical.

They do? Huh…they don’t tease me.

And I sure wouldn’t want to spend my day standing under one trying to find out what mysteries may come out of it. :confused:

Really.

Blurred does have a good eye. Hm, maybe we need to get a photography thread going… :slight_smile:

Some grey day cloud pics I took last year at one of my daughter’s soccer games - of course, the game was called as soon as the first bolt of lightning zapped the skies (yeah, I totally screwed up the exposure on that center image :blush: ):

[size=85](Pandora, just avert your eyes - the stunning lack of beauty might completely underwhelm you :laughing: )[/size]

Go troll a different thread, then.

Pandora,

We realize you struggle to have anything positive to say about much of anything, but lighten up. It might be hard to watch others actually enjoying themselves, but at least give it a try.

Anita,

The center exposure is perfect! Are we looking at clouds or smoke at the mouth of hellfire? The over-exposure wasn’t a mistake. You did it on purpose for dramatic flair, right? :wink: A good photographer NEVER makes a mistake. Every shot is inspired collaboration with the subject and a vivid imagination. Your vision of what was and what could be is marvelous! Truly a once-in-a-lifetime shot…