My Plan for Killing Off Ebola.

See, James is opposed to it, so it’s a good plan. I’m feeling more and more confident about this.

Simple minded is, what simple minded does.

Don’t put yourself down like that James.

Hmm, my screen reeks of testosterone. :slight_smile:

Testosterone doesn’t do that Kris, your associating other neurotransmitters. Look at Rush Limbaugh… next to no Testosterone in his pathetic flabby worthless body, but can rant and insult and make endless comebacks.

What gets done to insects, gets done to you in today’s world.

There is another option.
Find a way to medicate bat food with an antibiotic. I was also thinking that killing off the carrier could possibly transfer the disease to new carriers, rodents, insects, etc. We know the carcasses won’t all be disposed of safely. It would be decades before the disease pop backs up and chances are it would have evolved to be worse. Leave the carriers and work on cures. Control carriers , not eradicate the carriers. Germs and viruses mutate quickly naturally when faced with toxins. Sure wish we could adapt that quick.

Absurd to the extreme.
Not only would it be impossible to exterminate all fruit bats; even if they are a vector, they are not the only vector. And the carrier state of the virus is not known.
Pigs and monkeys are also vectors for Ebola. Are you going to exterminate them and any other species that is recognised. Then, of course, you would have to scorch, or nuke trillions of acres of Africa in the poor hope of removing any trace.

All to save the life of a handful of Ebola victims, running at a average of under 100 per year.

Ebola is a virus and not affected by antibiotics.

Ok find a virus treatment for the food.

Heaven forbid the use of virucides, antiviral drugs, or even nanomeds. :astonished:
That would be unnatural. :confused:

It would far more natural to just wipe out the more common carrier species. 8-[
“How do you kill out the love-gene?”
“Just kill out those who carry it.”

And antibiotics do actually help a little against viruses indirectly, in the same way that exercise helps with many diseases.

Well if they have rabies vaccine then Ebola vaccine is not impossible.

Lev, not a huge area, and bats roost.

And yeah, if pigs carry it, kill the pigs too- they are all destined to be killed anyway. Monkeys… Do we have evidence they carry it?

Uum, contra, the pigs would be used to create a vaccine . You infect them… instead of human blood transfusion or creating human Guinea pigs.
And yes I think there is a breed of monkey that does, I could be wrong…

You can only infect pigs if they are carriers. Are they? And will the islamic population on the region accept it?

Well then how the hell did they use blood transfusion from one human to another to cure if humans are not carriers?
I believe there would be issues only with hard orthodox Muslims. You would not be consuming the blood.
If there are severe qualms then find another compatible animal.
Either way, the ability to make humans immune is out there. The problem is with profit. Is it more profitable to immunize or cure?

No, the problem is not profit but rather weakness of our science… The World Health organization attracts the very best, and isn’t profit motivated.

A herd immunity would he great, if the numbers of muslims were minuscule, some areas have a sizable population, and are very conservative… I follow the conflicts in the region. They like their Fatwas.

Killing the bats is currently the only option, within a time table that can be set and controlled by local governments.

What your asking Kriswest, is that via the power of the invisible hand, I pull out a new revolutionary understanding of curing deeply complex and lethal viruses magically from my ass.

I can’t do that. However, perhaps its a tad bit racist, but I see the Africans totally mastered slaughtering countless endangered species… so I think this is within the skillset range of at least a portion of the population. With a little training and licencing, the bats can be eradicated. Hell, I think they could hunt down every rat in the woods if you offered them a buck a piece… 1 billion dollars = 1 dollar for every person in that billion population threshold we are approaching. A buck per life… but rats aren’t carriers that I can see.

Humans, dogs, cats are not carriers of rabies. Yet give them rabies vaccine and they do not get rabies… What the heck is the difference? The science exists, the tools exist.
You do realize that it would be impossible to hunt down and kill all the bats, your proposal will not eliminate the problem, it will slow it down or cause mutation. Creating a vaccine is the best idea.

Yes Kriswest, creating a vaccine would be best. However, just lumping Money + Scientist does not = Cure. If it was the case, the Soviet Union would of cured every fucking disease on the planet under Stalin.

A scientist needs to have a philosophical grasp via some profound insight you and I are lacking. Clearly, they do not have it, due to the fact this damn disease is very much rampaging.

And no… it will be easy.

Topographically, the first places consistently targeted would be the core areas around residential zones, hitting where the bats roost. They are mammals, not birds… have a higher metabolism and longer gestation period… will base out of similar location, and given they are a unique species of bat, will have a uniquely shaped body, and thus slightly different sound given off in Echo Location that we can fingerprint on a parabolic level using trigonometry, upon sunset to determine the direction the bats come from. This azimuth determines within a small range of error where they roost.

Such tech is very cheap, I could build it under ten bucks… programming it a little more expensive, but well within reason for licence authorities.

Less exposure to human habitation the better. After this, a asymmetric crunch knocking out the roosting cells on a spiral overlapping between primary communities would be most effective, as well as local knowledge of deep woodland caves and rock shelters, and other roosting quirks.

Hardly impossible. The side effect of the cold war is, we learned several highly effective, scientific tactics to systematically come into contact with evasive guerrilla cells on broken terrain, under circumstances previously thought impossible under older tactical systems.

This is not a hard one to do. It is not trillions of acres. Its a subregion that overlaps a few small states with high unemployment. It is easy to organize something like this on their level, and may very well be the only workable solution. Your Kriswest, literally has no underlining basis to your point of view. If it is that easy, I will get you some pig money and a ticket to Sierra Leone, and Lev will send you very supportive postcards from far, far away.

Boy you are just stuck on pigs even after I said use another. Let it go, jeez.
Ebola has been known for decades. Samples of live Ebola are in every pharmaceutical laboratory across the world and in government labs. They all have scientists studying these samples since the beginning. Do the scientists share findings? Oh hell no! It would be against their employer’s interests. Deadly disease is profit and control for both government and pharmaceutical. I would bet heavily that Russia and USA have a cure/preventative , at least one of those. What would happen if either government stepped up and said they could stop this? Both govts have bad reputations as it is.What would the world say or do?
And pharms? Lord knows they just want money.
Bats breed fairly quickly. They will breed back.