Actually it is the religious or the mystic that has the closed mind.
Someone says, “hey I believe that I know the cosmic just because I do.”
Then, the religious person responds with, “Oh, ok.”
Soon after is Cool-Aid time.

That’s a closed mind not a skeptical free-thinking one.

MZ,

It might be useful if you did some homework. You are attempting to dismiss something you obviously haven’t taken the time to study. Superficial dismissal is easy, even popular, but is a sign of ignorance. Many find their truths and their way in the Eastern philosophies. Your easy dismissal isn’t serving your credibility very well.

JT

Actually, I (in my younger years) was quite a fan of eastern thought. This changed when I gained a fuller under of the implication of the philosophy. That’s what is by the way. MOst eastern ideas are not religions, although the Tao does has that flavor at times.

Saying “I know because I know” is stupid any way you cut it and is an easy form of lying.

Couldn’t agree more, but for you to suggest that those posting to this thread are engaged in such behavior is a bit over the top. You wanna’ play? Then be specific, ask specifically. Don’t throw blanket generalizations around and expect everyone to roll over and play dead.

JT

Hi

But my dear chap, the mystic doesn’t say, “hey I believe that I know the cosmic just because I do” - the mystic leads his life in his own assured way and communicates to those who want to listen. I wouldn’t have remained here if I hadn’t found people with open minds, albeit with different ideas than myself which makes a conversation interesting. Mystics like to read and listen, but of course also to communicate.

I agree with tentative, be specific in your comments and we will reply to them.

Shalom

Please view the original Karma thread in either Mundane or Rant for the basis of my comments.

Question: how does one tell a false guru from a real one?

There have been plenty of pretenders in religion, both eastern and western, and many do not recognized them until something obvious is done. This is because some people are easily tricked by circular reasoning and loaded words such as “wisdom” and “peace” and so forth.

This is what I accuse liquid, Iron dog, some other people of doing. They bounce these terms around and their posts have little content.

Spirituality is existential and is best experienced in community with people. It is not possible to tell a false spiritual teacher from a real one without meeting them - although some people do tend to eliminate themselves very quickly. :wink:

A personal spiritual teacher is one you know, and thereby you know how trustworthy that person is.

Shalom

I feel ya Bob, but how many people drank the Cool-Aid?

What happened to all of those guys without testicles when the last comet swung by the good old planet?

I don’t expect you to answer such pointed questions, but there is a danger to the idea that individuals have accessed “wisdom” and do not have to explain it in ratonal terms. I see that kind of thing a little here and wish to confront it.

If you take time to note, some of the members who you have mentioned have been here for a while. Over time they have made their positions quite clear and have backed their statements with explanations. Not every post come’s complete with a detailed rational explanation for the umpteenth time. If you’re uncomfortable, do your homework before you charge anyone with deliberate malfeasance. You may access all posts by any other member in the forum by looking at their profile. Confrontation is fine, but it doesn’t hurt to know who, and what you are confronting.

You say their post have little content. Perhaps from you point of view, but does that make you the arbitor of content for everyone else?

JT

Certainly not, but then why should anyone be mine? :laughing:

Monsieur Zenith,

I think perhaps that the reason that you have trouble with my posts is because of my inadequate ability to express myself. I must admit, I’m not schooled in any traditional sense and I can be a bit hard to swallow at the best of times. My shallowness is obvious here.

My intention was certainly not to offend you and I do apologise if I’ve ruined your day(s).

A

Jumping to conclusions? I’ll take that on anytime. Play fair, play nice.

JT

Essence as Truth, am I understanding correct? Are you suggesting the dualist world of suerfaciality and essence? If so, I think that’s perfectly respectable. Thanks for your post liquidangel, I think it was very nicely done. I especially noticed the last point that you made, which is being yourself as what you really are - I concord with that with deeply my own existential experience. “Sei rein” - said Nietzsche (The Gay Science) - “be pure”. I suppose that’s also got to do with the phrase “know yourself”, that’s something any Nietzschean who believe in intelectual consciousness who strive to achieve. The “authentic swing” of golf, the “pastlife regression” of the thing that blonde does on ITV, and meditation of all religious practise… all related! I believe in the fantastic capacity ofthe human brains, I think we are utilising only a frantion of them. The so-called geniuses, people who work out 345 to the power of 6 in 7 seconds, are merely normal onions. Ja, I have the rather pleasant belief that the rest including me are all but a bunch retards in the strictest sense of the word. I might classify you out of the herd like I did to Nietzsche, if I have evidence that you experience abnormal spiritual events. Last night while I was on the brink falling asleep I heard a wonderful mellody in my mind, now I know why some composer prefer to compose when boozing. It almost makes my mind feel like repressed during the days, every brain function of my mind, every normal judgment that I make is probably being let astray by my day-to-day humanity. Is that why we have to think in silent solitude to really come up with something? I bet Tiger already found his authentic swing. What about you liquidangel, do you know what I’m talking about?

Yet another Thursday! Hope things are alright there in London.

Well, it’s not shallow if it’s real.

While it’s not required it would be nice to share how one arrives at certain conclusions so that others might learn how to do that too, or at least understand why and how you did. I assume that many of us are here to learn about such things.

Fair enough MZ. Ask me a question and I’ll try my best to observe the rules of rationality, if not, I’ll ask one of the other posters who understands my thinking to help me out. Will that suffice?

A

My path of wisdom tells me that it is! :unamused: :laughing:

Exactly!

You’re welcome. Now you will understand how it is that I say that all things are connected and how it is that it appears that I jump from one school of thought to another.

Unfortunately I am really ordinary. Nothing special here. And I don’t like heights very much.

When your silence is at one, when it permeates the universe it brings depth, peace and understanding.

I have a vague recollection…nothing in my rational mind (not that my mind is rational at all as others have pointed out so directly). Tiger, is that Lao Tse? I don’t think I’m good enough to fit the bill Yi. Still there is something that I’m remembering…

London is as London does. I was in Gloucester this weekend. It rained.

A

Tell me a palce in England that fails to rain, I’ll move over immediately. Tiger Woods I was talking about, the authentic swing as in swinging the golfclub, sorry shoud’ve made it clearer. :slight_smile: Thank Essence that finally you and me had a productive conversation. Hope there sahll be more in the future. Also, if you have good advise on how to be yourself as the way your essence is, please share it with me the 20 year old who wants to cheat experience out of turning ripe.

Actually Uniqor, all our conversations have been productive. They have all led up to this moment! :wink:

A

So you dont practice the way then?