The "real" truths Dan Brown uncovered?

Satori, by your remarks you apparantly know even less of Christianity than I do of buddha. But do not feel bad. Even most Christians know very little.

Basic tenet as set by God. No Faith, NO Salvation. This is regardless of how “fuitfull”, “Blessed”, “Kind”, Charitous", or any other nice thing you can peg on a human they are.

Did you somehow miss this? I am a Christian, and you keep ignoring very fundament tenets of Christianity.

Tell me if I am wrong o’Wise Buddha… but you seek as a buddhist to clear your mind correct? Well as a Christian, thoughts should be on God, and the mind NOT cleared! (did you miss that part?)

Salvation is through Christ alone and no other, this is a very big aspect of what Christianity is. Do you require Buddha’s approval prior to gaining enlightenment? Yes or No? As a Christian you do require God’s approval prior to obtaining greater wisdom! Why is this? Because it is stated that if you work and harbor in your own inequity God will refuse you wisdom and instead place a stumbling block before your feet!

You can attack the Bible all you want. Whats the difference between that and me attacking your mind? Here is the difference… a group of people came up with mine… and yours is… well yours!

The bible imparts no wisdom. It is only an instruction guide on how to get it. This will tell you that regardless of what is written in the book after you obtain wisdom you no longer require its words! Otherwise after all that the Bible simply makes a great reference book.

The reason that I consider the Bible as truth is because of its history and because of its prophecy. You guys have not a clue that 5 trumpets of Revelations has happned.

When Christ was asked what prophecy was all about and He said it was for proof… that one might see and believe.

When a religions prophecies are coming true… I take heed. Now there have been some rants about Islams prophecies coming true as well… but I have trouble finding good resources on theirs to know for sure.

I have not ready any other prophecies but I am surely interested in knowing them if you have any available.

An exchange:

And so on.
Such hateful SOBs, these Enlightened. At least Nick was joking! I have to say, a discussion of facts (including the nature of ‘facts’, and if such things exist) is always more peaceful, more educational, and overall more satisfying, than a discussion who ‘deserves’ to be talked to, doesn’t it?
I mean, when you turn up your nose at a Christian, atheist, mystic, Taoist, or what have you, and remark snidely to the effect that they aren’t worth your time, one supposes it’s an excersise in ego. But really, doesn’t it make you feel a little dirty, too? Isn’t there some side of you, that upon reading those words, is feeling let down- thinking “Well, I could have handled that better”, or ‘Guess I’m not quite as objective and intelligent as I pretend’. Or am I the only one who feels like that from time to time?

I certainly did not doubt that faith in God is a maxim for proper Christian channels but rather that if Christianity is wrong I doubt the Supreme Being would punish you if you lived a wholesome life. That was all.

I know enough of Christianity to understand the stories and the ideals. Since I am not a devot Warshiper…oops typo I am not perfect in regards of the knowledge within the Bible but the harsh God you speak of is within the Old Testament which is more so a Judaic book.

Salvation in Christ is in reference to the idea that Jesus is the only one who can pardon your sins not that you HAVE to believe in him. But rather as long as you accept him at some point you would be fine.

Astral:Let me point something out for you. The unwise seek to learn and acheive by absorbing everyone elses ideas and conforming themselves to them!
Astral:You can attack the Bible all you want. Whats the difference between that and me attacking your mind? Here is the difference… a group of people came up with mine… and yours is… well yours!

Yet you attack my mind while you defend ideals of men whom you never knew intimately. So, very noble and Christian. Protect ideas of men that shape you and say one who thinks of his own accord is evil and an enemy. Apparently according to your logic you are wise because you think freely yet when someone else thinks differently they are automatically an enemy. Rather profound thinking, you are a true testament to individual thought!

Astral:Otherwise after all that the Bible simply makes a great reference book.

I love how you say it is the word of God at times…ok back to the subject.

Astral:The reason that I consider the Bible as truth is because of its history and because of its prophecy. You guys have not a clue that 5 trumpets of Revelations has happned. When Christ was asked what prophecy was all about and He said it was for proof… that one might see and believe.When a religions prophecies are coming true… I take heed. Now there have been some rants about Islams prophecies coming true as well… but I have trouble finding good resources on theirs to know for sure. I have not ready any other prophecies but I am surely interested in knowing them if you have any available.

OK…now I see what Vintage was talking about…except I choose to substitute scary with crazy. How many before us have explained the end of the world was near? Too many, and how many have been right? So, I will respect your right to believe it but it certainly does not mean I will not think you are certifiable. Reason is a gift of man for being a higher evolved creature but apparently that and logic have slipped from your grasp looooong ago. So, on that note when the End of Days comes, Ragnarok, Apocalypse, Rapture, whatever you wish to call it. Man will be long gone, your god will be forgotten, many will take his place, and nothing will have been gained from your dogmatic stance. Accept your’s and every man’s ignorance before you condemn yourself to a realm of loss of your mind. Best of luck with your sanity.

-Satori

Then I can only say one thing. I shall pray for you!

Wisdom is known by the least and just as the bible has said, Do not cast pearls of wisdom before swine, they trample them underfoot and then turn on you.

In so many words I cannot say how saddened I am to not be able to show you what I know and why I know it.

And from your post it is painfully obvious that you really dont know jack about the Bible Judaism or Christianity. Who is closeminded? At least I learned of 2 buddists sects(I felt there was no more need to learn more)… You didnt even catch one Iota of Chrisitianity or Judaism.

Ucc,

The key word is argue. I’m so bored of arguing. I will not argue with a Christian or a Taoist, or a whatever. I’m open to discussion, I don’t come here to be preached at.

EDIT: Astral was telling me that Jesus is god. Well I’m afraid I disagree, so what should I do? Should I argue about it?

Argh, it would be nice to see a Christian practice what he preaches and yes, I can think of quite an obvious example. Bob.). Until then…

A

You didnt come here to be preached at? Your a hypocrit are you not?

You preach to us but its somehow bullcrap when you get it right back? You are nothing but a hypocrit. Did you forget this was religion?

That post IS a shining example of why you are so ignorant! Its good for you, but wrong for me!

I will pray for you!

I will not argue with you.

A

Liquid is right…Astral you are not worth the time because you use your religious deiontology in an abusive manner and I would prefer to let you shrivel away as none of us speak to you. =D>

sigh Very bad. Need more wonderful thoughts, more lovliness.

Must get rid of the bad; send to Siberia or Timbuktu. Keep the good and write wonderful thoughts. How simple. Yet we never learn.

Hi Angel,

I wish I was as even-natured as you make me seem - but thanks :blush:

Shalom

Hi Bob,

I beg to differ brother.

Interesting how preachers and polititians reveal one face at the front door and quiet another at the back door. People with two faces are dangerous.

A

Hi Angel,

True, but it is a sign that they are split in themselves and don’t have anybody to tell them - or they reject such advice. We all need a mirror, preferably one that won’t allow itself to be ignored … :wink:

Shalom

Ouch. Too true.

A

Dan Browns books are great literature, complete BS, a pick of twisted lies and half truths, but a captivating read no doubt.

After a while his plot gets predictable. I was able to figure out the 5 lettered password to the cipher way before the main characters found out. And yet I await his next book… :unamused:

You have got “Property of a the nuthouse” just tattooed all over you.

I’ve read this thread, and see a couple questions that I want to put my 2 cents in for.

1. How could anyone’s faith be wavered by a popular book in the fiction section of the library?
    As I see it, the only way this could happen was if their faith was based on nothing more than another book, or even something of lesser nature, which would indeed be a pity.

2. Why do so many Christians make such an outcry about The DaVinci Code?
    Apparently they have a really low opinion of their fellow man (or woman :slight_smile:and think that if they don’t yell at the top of their lungs, then their fellows will run straight to the devil. Unfortunately, when yelling so loud, you can’t hear what anyone else is saying, and everyone just thinks these Christians are stupid.

3. Is the Bible the word of God?
    No, I think most of the contributers would agree with this, but it is important to point out that it was written between the period of the greek myths (ending in about 20 BC from the website I checked) and Beowulf (written in about 1100 AD.) During this time it was common practice to greatly exagerrate the abilities and achievements of “great” men.

4. Was Jesus human or divine?
    All signs point to human. First, I refer to the previous question, just because it was written that he walked on water and raised the dead, doesn’t mean he actually did. Second, God sent him to earth (which doesn’t necessarily make him divine, he could merely be a prophet) to break the Old Covenant and sacrifice himself to save all humanity. Unfortunately, his sacrifice would mean nothing if he was not subject to all the same weaknesses that humans were, which points to the fact that Jesus was fully human.

5. Did Jesus wed?
    Given the historical facts about his culture, odds are that he did. And I dug this up:

(from http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/CN610CHRONO.htm)
It seems that the comparison to the founder of Buddhism may have been a good one, as this period in Jesus’s life, before his ministry even began, would have been more than enough time for his father to appoint a wife for him and for him to marry.
Also, it is important to note that marriage was a very different matter in this time that it is today. If Jesus was married, it would be highly unlikely that it would be deemed necessary to include in a history of his ministry, and a written record of such an event even less likely.

I see that it is the common belief that Christians should be the ones who are required to stop following their faiths for the sake of everyone elses inequities.

Jesus said He came not to bring peace, but to bring division. The very nature of speaking truth brings division. Why? Because its an afront to the lies. When people live a life of lies they are threatened by people who bear the truth!

Because of this and my Religious duty to speak truth only and to cry out when I see evil, I will always appear to be abusive. Jesus said you would hate me for His sake. You guys certainly provide the examples Christ was speaking of.

You dont have to chat with me. There are plenty of other fish in the sea.

But I will make mention of this. Why is it that you require everyone to chat in the mood you set and refuse to chat in the mood they set? What are you afraid of? Truth?

Where are you getting this? I read the Bible and I see:

(Acts 10:34-36)

(Corinthians 1:10)

The only division I recall being mentioned in the Bible is in revelation when the author is describing how the world will end when God seperates his followers from the rest, and I don’t think the end of the world is quite here yet. Even still, the authority to divide people rests solely with God, his followers must do their best to get along and tolerate eachother so that the God’s kingdom may expand.

The end of the world was the start of the world , of course it isn’t here yet.

An end is simply a new beginning.

Of all things, energy is invincible.
We are made of matter.
Matter is made of energy.