Progressive Christianity

Does Christianity need God and/or Christ? Maybe love is all it needs.

Is Progressive Christianity the wave of the future or is it simply the throwing away God and Jesus in the name of love, compassion and inclusiveness?

If you stop talking about God and Jesus Christ, then differences and conflict will be reduced. And that’s a good thing.

Didn’t the Dalai Lama suggest that religion needs to be eliminated in order to move forward?

facebook.com/DalaiLama/post … 2842097616

This is how to make Christianity accessible to everyone:

progressivechristianity.ca/prc/w … n-worship/

If what you say is true, then you have no warrant to call it Christianity.

Yes. One would think that God and Jesus have to stay. The interpretation of what Jesus meant will change over time and new circumstances will require a creative reading of the texts (genetic modification, cloning, abortion, gender modification, WMDs).

A “Christianity without God and Jesus Christ” would not be a Christianity anymore. It would be a modern religion, thus an ideological exercise, an ideological training.

If spirituality is an exercise or a training, then it is something like a religion too (see above), thus “beyond religion” is a rhetorical term - used in order to get the global version of something like a syncretistic religion.

I imagine that ‘beyond religion’ means the elimination of specific dogmas. Ethics would not come from unique gods but from some universal human feeling (probably love) which would make it binding for all.

I hope that progressive Christianity would be able to focus on loving behaviors…kindness/compassion/forgiveness
and much much more…

Is it progressive to get rid of god? Heaven and hell?

Is it progressive to get rid of language that people do not accept or agree with?

That would mean a new and probably global version of a syncretistic religion.

why does Christianity need to hold on to heaven and hell…

Heaven and hell represent ideas which are fundamental to Christianity : afterlife and justice. Those are very attractive ideas.

attractive ideas…but are they JUST IDEAS to help people to cope with life and death

You cannot show whether they are real or constructs. That’s where faith and belief comes in. A Christian believes in the truth of what Jesus said.

You seem to think that heaven and hell can be removed from Christianity. Also god can be removed. And the result is ‘Progressive Christianity’. I don’t think that this stripped down religion can be called Christianity.

I’m questioning whether removing these bits is really progressive and desirable. If a person does not like god, Jesus, heaven and hell, then why not pick up another religion/philosophy which does not have those elements? That seems much more sensible and practical.

phyllo traditional Christianity is going down…the important thing to save is jesus…not heaven and hell…the new Christian church will have a little corner where you can worship…

If Christianity is in decline, then it should be allowed to die a dignified death. Why put a brain-dead Christianity on life support for centuries?

ROFL

the jesus way of love works…all you have to do is do it…people are no longer motivated by heaven and hell

I asked how love works in another thread but you did not respond.

People who live in areas with a robust justice system which produces fair results don’t get motivated by the justice of heaven and hell. Others do want it. When people are powerless, they turn to Christianity (and other religions).
That’s why upper and middle class males become atheists while the poor and lower classes stay religious.

ok phyllo----the way of jesus is very hard…you have to face yourself and who you are and what you are doing to other people…it is a 24/7 way of living and most people don’t get it…most church people are interested in just coasting along…that is why we need changes

And by taking God, heaven and hell, out of Christianity… you will change their behaviors?
I don’t think so.

Why don’t you just promote atheism or Buddhism or Jainism or Druze or Bahai ?

I think that you would like Bahai.

the problem phyllo is all the people waiting outside the church that want to return to jesus…
why aren’t they coming back…what do you suggest…

???

I have no idea what that means. :confused: