a thread for mundane ironists

[b]Helmut Newton

The desire to discover, the desire to move, to capture the flavor, three concepts that describe the art of photography.[/b]

You tell me: google.com/search?source=un … 66&bih=625

Photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture.

An inside joke, perhaps?

My women are always victorious.

Over what though?

I hate good taste. It’s the worst thing that can happen to a creative person.

On the other hand, you can take bad taste too far.

It’s that I don’t like white paper backgrounds. A woman does not live in front of white paper. She lives on the street, in a motor car, in a hotel room.

Next up: where men live.

Look, I’m not an intellectual - I just take pictures.

Fashion shots, they called them.

[b]Philosophy Tweets

“All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind.” Adam Smith[/b]

And of course capitalism has almost nothing to do with that.

“Even their vices and follies are fashionable and most men proud to imitate and resemble them in the very qualities that degrade and dishonor.” Adam Smith

Hey, a buck is a buck.

“On the road from the City of Skepticism, I had to pass through the Valley of Ambiguity.” Adam Smith

Yo, Mr. Objectivist! You’re up!!

“Man is not affected by events, but by the view he takes of them.” Epictetus

Unless of course they are somehow intertwined

“Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights.” Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

“Rival goods”, William Barrett called them. Want to know what I call them? :sunglasses:

“The existential and ontological constitution of the totality of Dasein is grounded in temporality.” Martin Heidegger

Time I’m guessing. And not just up in the intellectual clouds.

[b]George Sand

Let us accept truth, even when it surprises us and alters our views.[/b]

Just not mine of course.
You know, if it is true.

You may impose silence upon me, but you can not prevent me from thinking.

Like that concerns them. Right, Satyr?

The intellect seeks, the heart finds.

The rest, among other things, being history.

If people were not wicked I should not mind their being stupid; but, to our misfortune, they are both.

Pinheads we I call them.

Experience is always a trustworthy guide; it may not tell you everything, but it never lies.

Tell that to Jim Phelps and Dan Briggs. :sunglasses:

We cannot tear out a single page of our life, but we can throw the whole book in the fire.

I’m stoking it now.

[b]Philosophy Tweets

“Shakespeare is the happy hunting ground of all minds that have lost their balance.” James Joyce[/b]

You know, whatever that means.
Anyone here happen to know?

“Don’t do what you can do - try what you can’t do.” William Faulkner

Note to the pinheads: thinking for example.

“Given a choice between grief and nothing, I’d choose grief.” William Faulkner

Wow, just like Ed Rooney!

“To live without philosophizing is in truth the same as keeping the eyes closed without attempting to open them.” René Descartes

Uh, yeah, I guess.

“In order to seek truth, it is necessary once in the course of our life to doubt, as far as possible, of all things.” René Descartes

I think that’s true, therefore it is.

“It’s all right letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back.” Mick Jagger

Yo, Keith!

[b]Julius Caesar

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.[/b]

And, I suspect, not just on this planet.

Wine and other luxuries have a tendency to enervate the mind and make men less brave in battle.

Being shit-faced for example.

It is not these well-fed long-haired men that I fear, but the pale and the hungry-looking.

Bread and circuses in other words.

Cowards die many times before their actual deaths.

I know that I have, he boasted

It is the custom of the immortal gods to grant temporary prosperity and a fairly long period of impunity to those whom they plan to punish for their crimes, so that they may feel it all the more keenly as a result of the change in their fortunes.

Not much that doesn’t rationalize. Especially in the world today.

Which death is preferably to every other? The unexpected.

Well that’s certainly debatable.

[b]Philosophy Tweets

“No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself.” Thomas Mann[/b]

And that’s what I do here: bring you to that point.

“It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows”. Epictetus

Yo, Mr. Pinhead! You’re up!!

“What is the difference in being alone with another and being alone by one’s self?” Henrik Ibsen

Trust me: all the difference in the world.

“You see, the point is that the strongest man in the world is he who stands most alone.” Henrik Ibsen

Trust me: maybe.

“It is inexcusable for scientists to torture animals; let them make their experiments on journalists and politicians.” Henrik Ibsen

Or on the fulminating fanatics here. But don’t quote me on that.

“Serenity is when you get above all this, when it doesn’t matter what they think, say or want, but when you do as you are, and see God and Devil as one.” Henry Miller

Been there, done that of course.

[b]Walter Isaacson

“If we want to resist the powers that threaten to suppress intellectual and individual freedom, we must be clear what is at stake,” he said. “Without such freedom there would have been no Shakespeare, no Goethe, no Newton, no Faraday, no Pasteur, no Lister.” Freedom was a foundation for creativity.[/b]

Einstein addressing all the pinhead objectivists here.
Actually, me imagining that.

The sexual act of coitus and the body parts employed for it are so repulsive that, if it were not for the beauty of the faces and the adornment of the actors and the pent-up impulse, nature would lose the human species.

Let’s just say it’s not completely irrational.

There would be times when we’d rack our brains on a user interface problem, and think we’d considered every option, and he would go, “Did you think of this? " said Fadell.” And then we’d all go, “Holy Shit.”

That ever happen here?

One mark of a great mind is the willingness to change it. We can see that in Leonardo. As he wrestled with his earth and water studies during the early 1500s, he ran into evidence that caused him to revise his belief in the microcosm-macrocosm analogy. It was Leonardo at his best, and we have the great fortune of being able to watch that evolution as he wrote the Codex Leicester. There he engaged in a dialogue between theories and experience, and when they conflicted he was receptive to trying a new theory. That willingness to surrender preconceptions was key to his creativity.

You know, in the either/or world.

I don’t have any skeletons in my closet that can’t be allowed out.

Me? No fucking way they’re coming out.

Despite being a denizen of the digital world, or maybe because he knew all too well its isolating potential, Jobs was a strong believer in face-to-face meetings. “There’s a temptation in our networked age to think that ideas can be developed by email and iChat,” he said. “That’s crazy.”

On the contrary?
Or is it too close to call?

[b]Philosophy Tweets

“I think if the devil doesn’t exist, but man has created him, he has created him in his own image and likeness.” Fyodor Dostoevsky[/b]

The other side of the coin?

“Beware the man of a single book.” Thomas Aquinas

Like, say, the Bible?

“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that.” John Stuart Mill

We’ll need a context of course.

“Fortune, seeing that she could not make fools wise, has made them lucky.” Michel de Montaigne

Well, some fools anyway.

“There are years that ask questions and years that answer.” Zora Neale Hurston

Though, sure, some years do manage both.

“Speech was given to man to disguise his thoughts.” Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

Though, sure, some more cleverly than others.

[b]Laura Dern

I’m friends with Renny Harlan, who directed Die Hard 2, and I will say, I thought it was beautifully done. What I loved about it was that the bad guys are basically American political figures.[/b]

What today some call Trumpworld.

There’s something so accessible about heroes who have faults.

You know, the right faults.

There’s always a side of a woman that likes a man from the other side of the tracks.

Up to, say, a few miles.

I like movies about longing and desperation, and dark and light things, stories about people struggling to raise children, and to have relationships and be intimate with each other.

Like this one: youtu.be/CbcJWzZ60nc

I wanted to go to Jupiter. That was my plan from day one, and David Lynch gave me the ticket.

395 million miles and then back again.

I’d never done nudity in a movie; I’ve never sort of condoned it for myself, but David Lynch wanted it, and I was completely comfortable with it because that love story was so protected. There’s never a moment where you feel anything is exploited.

Next up: Isabella Rossellini.

[b]Elena Epaneshnik

Fyodor Dostoyevsky: Where is poetic justice?
Don DeLillo: Where is God?
Samuel Beckett: Where is Godot?
Franz Kafka: Where is Hope?
Marcel Proust: Where is Maman?[/b]

Now your turn!

I miss the time when the news could surprise me.

The “cynical age” let’s call it.

A gentle reminder for anti-vaxxers:
With the Delta variant spreading all over the world, getting infected is no longer a lottery, it’s a waiting list.

I’ll bet that changed their minds.

A philosopher is just someone who doesn’t know anything a bit more exquisitely than anyone else.

Or, sure, a lot less.

A pessimist is just an overqualified optimist.

Kind of, he admitted.

On a scale of ∞ to ∞ I’m waiting for godot.

No way.
Now ask me why.
Hint: google.com/search?source=un … 66&bih=625

[b]Charlotte Bronte

A depressing and difficult passage has prefaced every page I have turned in life.[/b]

And, no, not just in books he suspected.

The trouble is not that I am single and likely to stay single, but that I am lonely and likely to stay lonely.

Quite the opposite he insisted.

No mockery in this world ever sounds to me so hollow as that of being told to cultivate happiness. What does such advice mean? Happiness is not a potato, to be planted in mould, and tilled with manure.

Cultivate it anyway, Kids.

Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religion.

Tell the pinheads that.

I feel monotony and death to be almost the same.

Define almost?

Talented people almost always know full well the excellence that is in them.

Any talented people here?

[b]Werner Twertzog

When you are no longer needed to build wealth and power for the capitalist oligarchs, your numbers will be systematically reduced through healthcare policy, food scarcity, drug addiction, war, unheralded mass sterilization, and justified despair, as we all know.[/b]

Hey, survival of the fittest. And, for some, the fattest.

Everyone is a “survivor” until they die.

Yeah, that kinda makes sense.

Live.
Laugh.
Love.
Die.
Horribly.
And alone.

Tick, tick, tick, tick…

I like Generation X. They know they are human garbage and expect to be abused.

Next up: generation XXX.

Sometimes you just wake up bound to a cast-iron radiator with a bicycle u-lock.

And, sure, sometimes you don’t.

Dear America: You are waking up, as Germany once did, to the awareness that 1/3 of your people would kill another 1/3, while 1/3 watches.

Helter-Skelter some call it.

[b]Philip Seymour Hoffman

I’ve worked with a lot of characters that are unhinged. I’ve played characters that are unhinged. That’s, like, my job.[/b]

Here of course we work with unhinged fulminating fanatics and Kids.

I think Magnolia is one of the best films I’ve ever seen and I can say that straight and out and anybody that disagrees with me I’ll fight you to the death. I just think it is one of the greatest films I’ve ever been in and ever seen.

Especially this part: youtu.be/tIa77tZaHJA

I know I wasn’t as handsome as some other guys, but I was OK with that.

Or: I know I wasn’t as thin as some other guys, but I was OK with that.
You know, if he was.

Why you do something is always kind of a mystery to me.

And I suspect right up until the day he died.

Film’s hard when you don’t have any relationship with the director at all and you just show up. Then you really are just a gun for hire.

In other words, like the wage slaves out there.

I think I would have drank myself to death, literally, if I didn’t just stop, once and for all when I did. I am not ever going to preach to anyone about drugs or drinking. But, for me, when they were around, I had no self control.

What we call prophetic.

[b]Werner Twertzog

How was “my experience” at your store? Fine. But I shall never shop there again because of this harassment.[/b]

Next up: How was “your experience” here?

I shall not “Live. Laugh. Love.” You shabby chic fascists!

So, will it actually come to this?

It is important for professors to be arbitrary and deranged so that students may learn adaptability.

And, no, not just in the philosophy department.

“The Curse of Oak Island” should be narrated by Chris Rock.

A little help with this one please.

Dear American hotels: barn doors on bathrooms are stupid.

A little help with this one please.

"Behind every great fortune, there is a great crime.” Balzac.
“Being rich proves that you are one of God’s elected saints.” Calvin

Sounds like a conflicting good to me.

[b]Eugene Ionesco

No society has been able to abolish human sadness, no political system can deliver us from the pain of living, from our fear of death, our thirst for the absolute. It is the human condition that directs the social condition, not vice versa.[/b]

What if – gasp! – it is the hopelessly convoluted entanglement of both?!!

In the name of religion, one tortures, persecutes, builds pyres. In the guise of ideologies, one massacres, tortures and kills. In the name of justice one punishes…in the name of love of one’s country or of one’s race hates other countries, despises them, massacres them. In the name of equality and brotherhood there is suppression and torture. There is nothing in common between the means and the end, the means go far beyond the end…ideologies and religion… are the alibis of the means.

Yep, sounds like the human condition to me.

God is dead. Marx is dead. And I don’t feel so well myself.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Only the ephemeral is of lasting value.

Not much that isn’t empemeral of course. Given enough time.

It isn’t what people think that is important, but the reason they think what they think.

In a word? Well, you know the one.

Banality is a symptom of non-communication. Men hide behind their cliches.

And, for some here, objectively.

[b]Existential Comics

French philosophy is important because it is the only western philosophical tradition that isn’t dominated by the nerds.[/b]

Anyone here know why? You know, if it’s true.

my big takeaway from the pandemic is that right wing people apparently think “masculinity” means constantly whining like a child about having to put yourself through even the slightest inconvenience in order to protect your community

Rugged individuals let’s call them.

The United States corporate media assures us that the Cuban people long for the complete subservience to the interests of United States corporate interests.

Well, that and other things.

under communism, “affect” and “effect” will be merged into a single spelling

Yo, James?

Existential philosophy didn’t teach me that “nothing matters”, what it did teach me was that most things matter very, very little, and a few things matter a great deal. Learning to distinguish between the two is one of most important skills in life.

Of course: your priorities or mine?

[b]What conservatives think Marx’s writing is like: “I hate rich people. Incompetent people should make just as much money as competent people. Why? It feels right.”

What Marx’s writing is actually like: “in the next 200 pages I will discuss the various prices of linen vs yarn.”[/b]

No, really.

[b]Ernest Cline

We’d connected on a purely mental level.[/b]

Wow, just like the serious philosophers here!

I understood her, trusted her, and loved her as a dear friend. None of that had changed, or could be changed by anything as inconsequential as her gender, or skin color, or sexual orientation.

Let’s all think like that, he retorted.

"Lila!” she said, wincing again. “Such language, honey! Your parents don’t let you swear like that around them, do they?” Whoadie folded her arms. “Well, no, they didn’t used to,” she said. “But they both died in a hurricane when I was little, so now I get to say whatever the fuck I want.”

I know: we should all be so lucky.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos of cute geeky girls playing ’80s cover tunes on ukuleles.

So, what’s your own guilty pleasure on youtube?

In a way, these old role-playing games had been the first virtual-reality simulations, created long before computers were powerful enough to do the job. In those days, if you wanted to escape to another world, you had to create it yourself, using your brain, some paper, pencils, dice, and a few rule books.

Billy Jack!

Whenever I saw the sun, I reminded myself that I was looking at a star.

And not just in Hollywood.

[b]Doth

As your goth personal trainer, I urge you to stay in shape so that you can outrun your horrifying past.[/b]

Next up: outrunning your horrifying past.

Be the reason why your local woods are haunted.

No woods? Okay, your local neighborhood.

Take a moment to apologize to your body for your brain’s bullshit.

Or lots and lots and lots and lots of moments.

I only want to talk about sex, death and disappearing in the woods.

Oh, and demons of course.

Live somewhere you wouldn’t mind being murdered

In other words, anywhere these days.

Capitalism will stop at nothing to kill us

Not unlike the Grim Reaper himself.

[b]Paul Gauguin

…for Christ’s sake, were the mountains blue, then chuck on some blue and don’t go telling me that it was a blue a bit like this or like that, it was blue wasn’t it? Good - make them blue and that’s enough![/b]

Things that only artist say.

When the physical organism breaks up, the soul survives. It then takes on another body.

Things that lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of people say.

A critic in my house sees some paintings. Greatly perturbed, he asks for my drawings. My drawings? Never! They are my letters, my secrets.

On the other hand, there may not actually be the equivalent of that here.

Painting is the most beautiful of all arts. In it, all sensations are condensed, at its aspect everyone may create romance at the will of his imagination, and at a glance have his soul invaded by the most profound memories, no efforts of memory, everything summed up in one moment. Complete art which sums up all the others and completes them.

Bullshit said the musician.

Nail up some indecency in plain sight over your door; from that time forward you will be rid of all respectable people,the most insupportable folk God has created.

So, what would you hang over it?

How to re-light the fire the very ashes of which are scattered?

Uh, CGI?

[b]Jan Mieszknowski

Greek philosophy: Free your mind
German philosophy: Free your will
British philosophy: Free your senses
American philosophy: Free your debt ceiling[/b]

Pick one:
1] none of the above
2] all of the above

You were born free but are condemned to
Rousseau: live in chains
Lacan: love in chains
Sartre: die in chains
Camus: chain-smoke

Pick one:
1] none of the above
2] all of the above

Plato: Why?
Aristotle: Why why?
Leibniz: Why not?
Kant: Why not why?
Hegel: Why not not-why?
Nietzsche: Not.
Wittgenstein: Knot.

Wittgenstein, right?
Him and R. D. Laing:
amazon.com/Knots-R-D-Laing/dp/0394717767

Leibniz discovered calculus by accident, while trying to prove to a friend that his birthday was on July 1st.

You Google it this time.

The desk at which Goethe wrote Faust.
The table at which Wittgenstein wrote the Philosophical Investigations.
The rock at which Nietzsche first came up with the idea of the eternal recurrence.

Sorry, this time you’ll have to use your imagination.

Facebook: It’s Monday and I’m walking the dog!
Instagram: It’s Monday and I’m having pizza for lunch!
Twitter: It’s Monday, the void is ascendant, and my tortured soul vibrates with the horrors of undead hopes and dreams.

Next up:
ILP: It’s Friday and…