church attendance has fallen to less then 50% USA

So instead of getting to Heaven, at last –
I’m going, all along.

Here’s the Gallup report presumably referred to in the OP, which actually addresses church membership in the U.S not attendance.

K: thank you for posting this…my cut and paste skills are rather weak…
which is another way of saying, I am old…

Kropotkin

You’re welcome! The topic interests me for what it says and does not say. Here are the implications that the pollster sees in the poll:

What is religiosity? How would it be measured? What is its relationship to formal religion? Can religiosity be distinguished from spirituality and if so how?

It was nice to hear from a friend who is a Pastor after such a long time. The fact that we met again on a zoom church service was significant and had a meaning for me that people may not fully understand. We were in a church service for the first time in a long time, and we were encouraged by a friend after she noticed that we had distanced ourselves from the church. The reason was that when I was still working for the church I had been fully committed and had crashed into a burnout and received no support. After that, I struggled with depression until I finally could no longer work and retired.

Our presence at the service was, in a way, an attempt to start over. My wife and I shared afterwards and thought it was well done by dear people. However, we did not find ourselves in it. Perhaps it needs time. We agreed that we see Jesus as the embodiment of the meaning of life and think that love is the highest expression of that meaning. Well, if God is love, then perhaps we have arrived. I see a lot of meaning in the Bible, but does that mean that there is something supernatural who intervenes in peoples lives? The people on the zoom church service apparently thought, and so there was a long period of prayer.

I have a lot of time for loving-kindness meditation, considering those people around you, spreading outwards, loving all and sundry. I found it fitting somehow, more than intercessory prayer. Obviously, it is something I picked up from Buddhism rather than Christianity. It was a strange feeling to be doing something different to these people whilst they thought that we were part of what they were doing. But was it? Is there this difference, or are we all just guessing?
I think that the church has to encompass these thoughts as well, if they are going to get people back.

What do people want to get out of the experience of going to church these days?

Why go to church?

Why not go?

I suppose a good reason would be to connect with people who have a similar vision of love so that together you can serve each other and the community in which you live.

I thought that would be a major reason but since it’s so easy to join groups and connect via social media and internet I don’t see as bringing more people into the physical churches.

Maybe zoom burnout will prompt people to seek more direct contact when the pandemic is over. Who knows.

I think that it is mainly to have community. Here in Europe mostly elderly people fill the rows, some families are there too and of course, if the youth work is done well, you have some of those as well. I believe it is a social bond more than a religious one, and an identification with a particular parish. The working population may show up for special services, but especially so if they have had connections with the parish youth before.

Having said that, in the Protestant Church in our part of town, there has been a tradition of sermons that have been said to have a good quality. I think the Pastors try to make it interesting, and not like I heard said about an old Catholic Priest, who used to say, “on Sundays I need a new shirt and an old sermon!”

There is also the parish nurse who keeps people together and arranges transport for the infirm. Birthday visits for those over seventy try to gather the flock as well. One Pastor used to be known for turning up at the door with a bottle of brandy or schnaps and two glasses.

There’s no so-called “physical church” in the New Testament. So Christianity should be able to get along without them without losing its essence.

The question is whether the loving-kindness of Buddhist meditation is essentially a different than the loving kindness of Christianity. And if it is different how would we know? Or even if it is different, can it be received by, taken up and practiced in the context of Christian fellowship?

The sacred Christian texts talk about three kinds of love; agape, phileo and eros, with agape encompassing the other two. Why couldn’t agape encompass Buddhist loving kindness as well?

The Bible teaches that only God knows people’s hearts. Jesus said 'he that is not against me is for me." And “you will know them by their fruits”. If Buddhist loving-kindness meditation produces the fruit of compassion, it passes Jesus’s test.

A portion of Buddha’s discourse on love says
“Just as a mother loves and protects her only child at the risk of her own life, we should cultivate boundless love to offer to all living beings in the entire cosmos. Let our boundless love pervade the whole universe above below and across. Our love will know no obstacles, our heart will be absolutely free from hatred and enmity. Whether standing or walking sitting or lying as long as we are awake we should maintain this mindfulness of love in our own heart. This is the noblest way of living.”

How, if at all, is that ethic of love incompatible with agape which is said to be divine love? Let’s consider the ontology of love.

One aspect of love is unconditional acceptance. " Love ye one another." For love to be unconditional it must be universal. It is all too human to separate people into sheep and goats, wheat and tares. The church fails when it does this sort of us vs them preaching. So does the society to which the separatists preach.

I considered this for a long time and came to the conclusion that I wouldn’t know where to start. I am feeling insufficient at present.

I came across this some while ago:

I’ve always found the commandment to love perplexing. One loves what one loves. How can one obey the commandment to love something one doesn’t love?

Unconditional acceptance is perplexing as well. It would mean accepting what is unacceptable.

No wonder churches fail. Their mission is paradoxical. Something possible only for the god of agape and perhaps those who enter into his spirit if that’s possible.

Need-love versus gift-love. I can see that. It reminds me of an IVP tract which I read decades ago that differentiated because-of love from in-spite-of love. We love someone because of certain virtues that they possess. But God loves us in spite of our vices. Something like that.

What about love as the desire for union? The desire of the separated to unite and become one? That’s consistent with the parable of Plato which says humans were split into and desire their other half. It applies to sexual and romantic love. It applies less literally brotherly love, where the uniting is in terms of affiliation. It applies to self-love in the sense of the desire for wholeness. And it applies to divine love in the sense of the desire for oneness with the ground of being or conversely with the picture of God seeking oneness with his creation.

The mission of the church then becomes to overcome our essential estrangement from each other, ourselves and God which is grounded in the story that God incarnated and underwent crucifixion and resurrection in order to overcome estrangement from us.

In other words, the mission of the church is reconciliation. Given the splits and divisions, the factions and tribes that are present among humanity this is, needless to say, a superhuman task. To make matters worse, the manifest church is itself split.

DR FRANCIS ETIM also wrote the following:

I’ve heard that God’s love is universal and unconditional. Are we to strive toward that?

that’s what i’m doing

Overcoming the estrangement towards others is probably harder than accepting that God has drawn closer. It is especially difficult in the times of social media, where you only see a presentation and not real people (let alone in the COVID crisis), which is why the congregation of believers can’t be replaced by the zoom. We need to be with people in real time, experiencing the ups and downs, the good and the bad times.

I think that for this reason the “glue” of reconciliation has to be forgiveness. Accepting that the person opposite you is the best version you’re going to get and perhaps the only way to hope for that to get better is to be better yourself. If this became the norm for Christian societies, despite the difficulties, it would spread. Instead, we have societies that are made up of resentful people, envious of each other – which is caused by the psychology of consumerism.

I think that self-love is important, but it is the measure that society places on people that makes them feel bad about themselves. You need a loving community that helps people feel wanted to overcome that. A church needs to be an oasis in the desert with regard to this.

_
Church attendance has risen here, dramatically so… you had to book a space on the pews online, if you wanted to attend the Christmas holidays or Easter holidays services.

I think it’s to do with a need of being a part of the Community and of Community spirit, which is once again easier to achieve… now that the illegal immigrants and fake refugees have left our towns and cities and country, due to the lack of being in-receipt of benefits.