Coffee and introversion...

…explains why I can have only one coffee upon rising, and why narcotic stimulants, aka opiates, have never appealed to me and of which the temptation to try them has never even surfaced in my own mind.

Explains why I don’t drink it hardly ever.

I can see how this could be true in social setting, such as if an introvert had to make a presentation in front of a group. Too much caffeine can cause coffee jitters and for an introvert who’s self conscious around people, this overstimulation could make him even more nervous around others. But for just working on projects under deadline, I don’t see how it would affect an introvert more than an extrovert. In such a case no social self consciousness is really required, only sustained focus while working on a project. An introvert may worry what his colleagues would think about him if he doesn’t get the project done on time, which may interfere with his work, but so would an extrovert. Right?

Because according to the below extract we are already awesome. :smiley:

MagsJ,

You?.. An introvert?

I am indeed young Pandora… did you think otherwise? and if so, why so?

What would you say you are? and how’s your daily coffee consumption? :smiley:

Well, based in your pictures you appear more of a social butterfly, MagsJ, often seen at social gatherings, surrounded by other people. I thought you were an extrovert.
Most people say I’m outgoing and friendly, although given a choice I’d probably prefer my own company. But this above effect does not apply to me: excess caffeine makes me even more outgoing and funny, not more nervous and self-conscious. And I consider myself an introvert for the most part.

In regards to coffee, I don’t drink as much coffee as I used to. Nowadays, only the minimum as is necessary. Getting good sleep is a important for me, so I have to cut my caffeine intake. I think many people get addicted to coffee buzz which is way above the level necessary to function. I’d call it caffeine abuse.
I had a co-worker once who was addicted to 5-hr energy drinks. He would always be super buzzed at work, in fact, so buzzed that his mind was tripping over itself. He was impatient and easily distracted, and his mind would jump all over the place. If I didn’t know he was addicted to energy shots Id think he was high on crack or something. He was a perfect example of overstimulation, and it reflected in his communication with others. I don’t know if he was an introvert or an extrovert (or maybe even bi-polar or had ADHD) because I haven’t seen him in his normal state, but he served as a good deterrent for me reminding me just how far people can go with caffeine. I think being calm and alert is a better way to go, but this delicate balance often gets pushed. One doesn’t have to be turbo charged all the time.

Coffee used to just make me more tired honestly.

Coffee wakes me up or helps me sleep. I can drink it all day or just a couple of cups.
My family and friends
call me introverted or hermit. I think it has to do with my dyslexia rather than personality. Its hard to socialize without getting speech problems.

I wonder if that’s really true - if introverts ARE more alert to their environment? I might think that an introvert might or could shut him/her -self away from seeing surroundings.

Now a social butterfly might be quite aware of their surroundings. It’s necessary that they don’t miss a thing.

I’m both an introvert and an extrovert, depending on “where I am” [not physically speaking] in in the moment.

And no one will tell me to stop drinking my coffee. I only have around 3 1/2 cups a day. I’m an epicurean about it. lol

I might be wrong but I think coffee affects children in that way, Artimas. :mrgreen:

My sister drinks it all the time, I hardly drink it at all. I’m 21 in Jan, she is 16.

_
Or… coffee and introspection. :-s

Do I make having a coffee a daily routine? No, no I don’t… the odd day here or there throughout each month suffices, so not overburdening the nervous system, so ensuring that it keeps running optimally.

…and for ensuring maximal optimality, I make it an Organic, strength 3, single origin purchase.

Actually it’s because extroversion is a kind of mild ADHD, and stimulants help people with ADHD focus.

Can we count barrel-aged stout in place of coffee? At least some of the time. Early mornings notwithstanding.

Speaking of which, or at least in terms of the clarified understanding about extroversion, let us be also equally clear: introverts are by no means perfect.

In fact it would be difficult to try and say in full honesty that supposed introverts are not the primary cause of many failings and major errors of the world. “Supposed” ought be emphasized here, of course. Because sometimes who really knows. Most major problems and errors are caused by weird barely human creatures for whom it would seem to make little sense to apply such clearly human-level meaningful categories as introvert and extrovert.

An over-representation of extroverts among the so-called ‘world leaders’ and major influencers can be explained easily by what extroversion means and implies, but that’s not really the end of the story. For example, did you know many high-functioning introverts learn to adopt extroverted personas and habits? Why though? Because, as I said, being an introvert doesn’t also mean that one is perfect. Errors abound in either direction. And the world is what it is.

Maybe relativized ADHD-like impulse-traits are a small price to pay for having a clear authenticity. For being ABLE TO have that. Super-tectonic depths notwithstanding, perhaps. Or perhaps not, come to think of it.

Cmon now, anyone here able to follow elevated philosophy into its end-points, along the furthest edges where philosophy merges with and becomes …spirituality?

No? I doubt that. Let’s have faith in each other and see where it takes us.

Bearing in mind obvious cautions, of course.

One would… if you weren’t so inclined to keep scattering ad-hom at the end of your posts. So nah!

Funny how you, Ichb*tch, and Sculpture, all share that same [annoying] trait. I’d rather not interact, with that.