Define your faith...

my faith is in a lot of things, unfortunately. but i believe that no religion has it right. i like christianity because i think they definitely have their hearts in the right place (most of them). and i call myself christian for two reasons: one) because where i am, it’s predominantly christian and i want my ideas respected, and two) because i like christianity and i want my way of thinking (which tends to be more tolerant and acceptive of other’s viewpoints than stereotypical christianity) to be seen and recognized as christian by others, and to be seen by other christians as a way to live. after all, “you must be the change you wish to see in the world.”

im going to have to say arg caveman no! im going to say that the fact that time moves along its ‘x’ - ‘y’ axis at a relatively constant speed (relative to your observer, relatively), i just refuse to imagine that it is physically in the same category as up left and forward.

imagine you made a universe out of physical particles, little dots or little waves on a fabric. those dots can move in three dimensions so that we can eat food and poop out of different holes without having to cut our bodies in half (obscure reference high five). those particles can “:MOVE:” in three dimensions. your particles will move up left and forward and the definition of the word move will only make sense if you consider the concept of time. you dont need the concept of ‘up’ to understand moving left. time is an overarching concept that is not a ‘dimension.’ general relativity went too far.

im sorry its a huge pet peeve.

in a really cool movie called “Waking Life”, one of the random philosophy speakers mentions an ancient pseudo-christian religion that preached that at the year 50AD, a DEMIURGE, or some angel dude whos not quite god but almost, FROZE TIME right before jesus came back for the reckoning. and ever since then, we have been experiencing subsequent frozen moments of time. and before 50AD, there was a completely different crazy manifestation of time that we can only dream of, and it was totally different than the subsequent separate moments that we THINK we are smoothly transitioning through. wow dude man.

extra awesome dimensions are quite awesome. but why? why do you think that any of that stuff exists?

oh

depending on what origin? what defines which cosmological levels a life form can include. why do you believe this?

i like the sound of that! sign me up, as long as its cheaper than scientology.

what experiments?

ok i am now reading your whole link no matter how drunk it forces me to get, The Kybalion:

i dont like the word ‘probably’ here

BOOYA zero point field x3. i know that shit like the back of my hand (except for the math). science stupidly assumes that further exploration of the zero point field wont neatly wrap everything up in a completely intuitive package. thats why they dont know. i know.

i can see that. if you multiply certain units of matter by the speed of light squared you get a certain amount of units of energy each time. there is a direct correlation between the value of a ‘protons worth’ of matter and a ‘protons worth’ of energy. they are interchangeable. why is energy ‘higher’ than matter? is it because the huge field of energy that surrounds us all is a mysterious thing of which we know very little? refer to my previous paragraph.

teachings with a capital T

sigh

the thing goes on to talk about telepathy with a few big distracting words. i dont count that stuff out at all! i totally believe its possible (not the stuff on tv).

however, as i read that part i noticed what might be the appeal of this particular religion. the connectivity of various states of being. “everything vibrates” “if you vibrate a spinning top really fast it will make noise like a vibrating string and then light like a vibrating electron” and therefore the idea of matter and sound and light are all combined into one. and then, out of nowhere, boom zap all of our mental states are also vibratory and interchangeable in the same way.

the site segued away from the physics of the spinning top straight into telepathy and the connectedness of our minds without any reason at all.

i knew that! it has nothing to do with the laws of physics! this guys just said the word vibration on the same website he describes physics using the word vibration and the two separate concepts are supposed to be the same concept? why didnt he just say that emotional states are manipulatable and reproducible just like physical objects we are familiar with? why did he need the big fancy metaphor? because i already knew emotional states are just as explainable as the laws of physics, its intuitive; what i didnt know is that some jerk is saying that my emotions are directly related to the physics of the universe.

they arent directly related to the physics of the universe, they just follow the same law. when i say the same law i mean that they follow laws: thats the law. sad happens when bad things from outside affect you and you are afraid of what your life will be like now that it happened, electron goes towards proton when their charges are opposite. they are both exactly predictable, but its not immediately apparent that they are. and they really arent.

but when somebody says he figured it all out and hes got a big ol Solution with your name on it and it seems to make sense to you in a way that the competitors dont, because of his fancy descriptions of physical phenomena and you just cant imagine why he would lie to you (i cant), it becomes very easy to believe what some hack says about stuff you dont know anything about (see: most future man posts in the natural sciences board)

oh NO WAY!!! you got miracles!!! holy crap dude why didnt you say so!!! oh boy thank god you found these guys, i totally thought there was no such thing as miracles. praise thee O ambiguous one!

so, uh, what miracles is the writer refering to?