Determinism

Duplicate

PG,

I honestly don’t know why people still humor you.

Obviously you’re making the belief in determinism a CHOICE!!!

And if we make that CHOICE!!!

The world will finally be at peace.

That’s it, debate over.

Choice does not negate determinism. Understanding brings wisdom!

Yes. It does. Fuck! I’m too lazy right now to type a longer post.

I’ll make a couple notes for you.

If you could travel back in time to your younger body with your future memories in tact. Everyone on earth would make a different decision.

I’ll just leave it there for now.

Again, I don’t often fully understand Ecmandu, but to the extent that I do understand him here, yeah, I agree. That’s basically how I see peacegirl’s argument too.

Just given my own “understanding” of determinism here and now.

Your agreement with Ecmandu doesn’t make you anymore right in your analysis!

What does this comment of yours prove?

PG,

You can’t even keep track of your own arguments?!?!

You said as proof that if we could make the same decision again that we’d always choose the same one!!!

Honestly!!!

What is wrong with that?

If it were the case that given the same situation we could make a different decision that would mean that none of our decisions were of any value. What would be the point of living with random decisions?

My scenario was specific to argue her point.

I stated: if we all went back 20 years in time (for example) with our older brains in the same scenario…

Every human on earth would make a different decision.

She made a claim, I reality tested it.

It’s absurd to think that if we lived 1000 years and went back to our 14 year old selves with the same thousand year old brain that anyone would make the same decision… thus disproving her claim.

Yeah. If you went back in time with the knowledge that you have now, then everyone would make a different decision.

But the concept is that you don’t have any information than you had before, so you always make the same decision.

In reality that never happens. Everything is a one-time event. There is no going back.

I disagree with you that it can’t happen.

Are you going to go back in time?

Leave it to the progressives - We’ll be back there before you know it. :smiley:

Spirit is not what you think it is.

A spirit can handle time travel, time changes…

It can obliterate or hold the “grandfather paradox” and still be in tact.

I’m considering it.

Alright enough is enough. Now you’re gonna go back in time and kill your own grandfather?

This has got to stop, ecmandu. I’m telling carleas.

I’m not talking about murdering my grandfather…

I’m just trying to explain that it’s not true.

The magnitude of a spirit holds all of this without effort. There is no time paradox to a spirit - it holds all realities as a container. Once you’re here, you’re here… and nothing will change that. No matter what you do.

Man you are so fucking confused!

She is not saying what you claim she is saying.
If we lived a thousand years it and went back it would not be “the same” brain, but one with a thousand years more experience. It would be impossible to make the same decision, because our brain would NOT be “the same”.

I think you just do not understand what is going on.

Yes.
Trying to explain something this simple to ecmadu is like trying to drill a platoon of cats.

#-o