Feelings are often hidden until we give them a name.

They have words for very subtle experiences, like nostalgia. I wonder if people felt nostalgia before the word, the concept of it was invented. Or wunderlust, another one. I realized that there was no word for a feeling I have had on a few occasions. The feeling you have when, in the moment, you become aware that the experience you’re having is being inscribed deeply in your memory, and that you will be recalling this exact moment many years from now, and for the rest of your life, and you see these future remembrances in front of you, and know that something ephemeral in the moment is simultaneously a permanent part of your own being. As if memory and the moment, forward and backward in time, are harmonized in that brief moment. You suddenly become aware that you are living a memory. At any rate, I name this feeling promnesis. Greek, like the word nostalgia. Literally means ‘remembering forward.’

_
…a ‘coming to terms’ with something/acceptance of it.

Sounds… cathartic.

Not sure I would describe it that way. How would I describe it… I was just laying in bed with this girl and suddenly got overcome with a strange feeling I am not sure I had felt before, the feeling that this image I am in right now, with the room as it is, and her, and just this moment, I knew I would one day look back and remember it, and I knew I would always remember it. It felt like the opposite of nostalgia. Nostalgia is home-sickness for the past, but this was… home-sickness for the future.

I have experienced unnamed emotions many times, sometimes having to do with recollection as well. I think naming the emotion causes it to lose some of its potency. The name masks or hides the emotion behind some kind of veil of reasoning, the “word” becomes mistaken for the thing itself. At least this has been my experience.

Whenever I am experiencing a strong emotion I usually don’t bother giving it a name. Why name it? It’s not like I care that much to describe it to anyone else, and if I did I would describe the experience directly without taking a short-cut through meaning. Words often act like those short-cuts, subverting what meaning is actually present.

_
Promnesis… a sentiment shared, but preferably not wanted.

It’s a cool idea, nostalgia for something not yet happened. I’ve never quite experienced that, except in small doses when it comes to remembering something from my past that glows with happiness and meaning and at the same time knowing and anticipating that soon I will get to have another similar experience again. I mean that is just anticipation based on remembered meaning and desire, but still. Pretty nice emotion to have.

I call it pre-remembering, but not sure same experience.

I have only ever experienced something I could not name once in my life. Worst day of my life. My gut felt it. My mind couldn’t name it.

Ah, yes I have had that experience too. Worst feeling without a name. I could describe it but I’d rather not.

same

_
Promnesis is a positive way to look at such (a) feeling/emotion(s), for what the heart wants, the heart wants… with or without, regret(s).

_
My dream about Parodites, this morning… a non-sensical oddity of a dream.

Parodites declared that he was having an open-day at his house, and invited all to come and visit… I went along (with my late son, in tow), and joined the long queue of others, outside.

Once inside, I passed a very beautiful raven-haired female and continued on further inside via a large corridor -led by my late son- and on into a very large bedroom where I passed a man on a bed in a very compromising position and walked past him -again led by my late son- into the dark expanse beyond the back of the room… the dream ended.

Did you stay together or let the feeling pass, like MagsJ?

I never mentioned being with anyone…

Parodites knows of my predicament.

saying that only makes sense if you are parodites.

_
Not so…

Now I see why you quote others, over offering your own thoughts… in reply.

[just an observation]

It’s not over. It’s in addition to. I would ask you why you think I do that… but mostly I’m pretty sure you’re full of crap on purpose, so I’m not going to ask… because if you really wanted to have anything to say, you would’ve said it.

On purpose…? Is that because that’s what you do? :-s

I was correcting a [non] correlation, is all… because I can. Please do not see animosity towards you, where there is none.

…though you do reveal yourself, with each and every interaction and reply… is that why you hesitate to do so?

Ok. I’ll nibble… what are you hesitating about?

Nuthin

I wuv woo too.