Gay High School

This could be very roughly political, I suppose:

New York to open gay high school

Does this strike anyone as incredibly stupid? There will still be bullies at a gay school. Segregation does not work. Does anyone support this? Why?

I oppose it for two reasons

1. It’s a public school. All public schools and public funding of education should be eliminated.
  2. It’s a public school, and thus funded by tax money. People should not be forced to provide money for an institution that serves to sanction an act they find to be distasteful (and like it or not, there are people who find homosexuality distasteful).

State schooling is necessary for equality of opportunity. If all schooling was private some would get better standards of education than others irrespective of the pupil’s ability but due to the parent’s wealth.

At almost every school there is probably a degree of homosexual (and hetrosexual) activity. Even if you didn’t oppose state schools this would still be invalid.

Have you ever heard of scholarships? Private charity? And even if those didn’t exist, that’s too bad. Need is not a valid justification for theft.

Well, it certainly makes it simple to indulge in one’s appetites.

Kurt Weber stated:

I find your apparent lack of compassion disheartening. Greed is not justification to cease caring about the needs of others. Secondly, it is in your best interest to have public education for the social and economic benefits. If everyone was not given atleast the chance to succeed, we would not have a society worth living in.

i think its rediculous. here in canada i heard that the catholic school board gets some of its funding from the goverment, which i think is just as bad. if you have a gay high school. it is no longer a public high school. unless you are alloud to attend without being homosexual. if that is the case then its all good. but its wrong to make a high school with a big sign on the front that says “gays only”

What was it Lenin called his work on limited free enterprise? One Step Forward, Two Steps Back? I think similar applies here. And Kurt, private charity has enough to deal with without adding schooling to the list.

I personally believe that the idea of an all gay high school is preposterous and hypocritical. Liberals have been preaching tolerance and inclusion for many years now. Tolerance is defined as: The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others (dictionary.reference.com/search?q=include). How can we be tolerating and including gays if we segregate them and move them into their own school? For some time now Liberals have been desperately pushing for us to accept everyone and now we are supposed to push them away by segregating them??? This seems to be a slight contradiction in policy to me. But you contend that “We are only moving them because they can’t function properly in a mixed public high school. They have become victims of hate crimes and are frequently bullied thus lowering their self esteem.” Well lets think about this for a minute…How is segregating them going to solve this? If we move them for the aforementioned reasones this sends them a message and that message is “You don’t fit in!” Telling them that they don’t fit in surely won’t raise their self esteem. And don’t think there won’t be some form of bully in this new high school of sin. Not only is this a high school for gays, but it’s also for transgender and bisexual students. Isn’t it possible for the bisexual students to say “We enjoy both sexes so we are twice as good as the gays!”? It’s only a matter of time before someone’s feelings are hurt again. If they can’t make it through high school how are they going to function in the real world when they graduate? Should we have gay colleges and corporations as well?!? Where will the line be drawn??? Why not have all Straight / White / Mexican / Black / Asian / Christian / Muslim / Hindu schools?

Matthew E stated: “I find your apparent lack of compassion disheartening.” Why should gays receive extra compassion?!? They aren’t the only ones who have troule fitting in. Why should they get the special treatment? If you don’t like your current situation you can’t just run away. You have to learn to deal with it.

Matt also said “If everyone was not given at least the chance to succeed, we would not have a society worth living in.” We gave them the chance to succeed in public high school. They failed! Why give them and only them a second chance?!? Tolerence and inclusion aren’t all the lies put out by the Liberals. They also are major advocates of equality. Despite what it says in the Declaration of Independence we are not all equal. Some are born into rich families and some into poor ones; some have physical deformities and some have mental short-commings; some are tall, some are short, some are skinny, some are fat. WE ARE NOT EQUAL! The gays had one chance in public high school like the rest of us. Giving them another one doesnt make us all equal. This resembles the famous line from George Orwell’s Animal Farm “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

We must stop this madness now!!!

Yeah, some people are born super strong :unamused:

Superstrongsteve-

I believe you have taken my comments horribly out of context! It is my fault and I apologize. Let me clear things up.

You quoted and responded to my following sentence:

I was referring to KurtWeber’s belief that all public schooling should be discontinued. I was alarmed by his “apparent lack of compassion” to underpriveleged citizens, i.e, those who would not be able to afford an education less the state provided it. You seem to think that I am advocating Gay Schools- an idea I think is aborrent- which I probably should have mentioned.

You also quoted me saying,

As I pointed out above, I was referring to the underpriveleged, not gays. With regard to Gays specifically, they deserve the same chance to succeed as anyone else. Enrolling them into segregated schools will only enlarge the schism that separates tolerance from our society.

I am inferring that the reason gays want a separate school is so that they do not have to deal with the stereotypical harassment they must receive. I am reminded of the recent fiasco in Georgia (I believe it was Georgia) with the segregated prom- another disgusting display of closemindedness. These people clearly do not want to deal with their differences, and instead opt to separate themselves as best they can from those they must learn to live with. There is no running away from problems of these sorts. Sadly, a gay school will only increase the amount of hate and bigotry, as no one will have any real contact with gays, making it easy to justify hating them; it’s alot easier to hate someone when you don’t know them.

Really? It always worked for me.
My attitude towards this is ambivalent. Although one the one hand I think it will be good to allow gay kids to hang around with other gay kids and be open about their sexuality, it is as everyone has said segregation. But then, are gay nightclubs discriminatory? By the common argument they could be. After all, voluntary segregation is different from forced. I am of course in favour of tolerance and inclusion, but you shouldn’t be forced to hang around with people you don’t like. We all choose our own friends don’t we?

Too bad. Decisions are based on reason and what is morally right–not what makes you “feel good”.

So need justifies FORCIBLY taking my money from me and giving it to someone else, whether I want it to go to that person or not?

That’s too bad. A desirable result does not justify a morally reprehensible means.

Although I love the idea of a school for homosexuals, as it would allow the individual to escape the torment of bigotry in high school, I must agree with Matthew, that it may only make the problem worse in the long run. The issue must be solved with education of students so that they will understand that homosexuality is not something to be regarded as negative; however, that is not a change that we will see happen over night.

Kurt, for some reason you fail to show any signs of understanding or compassion towards the issue, and I really wonder how you could be so cold? :cry: I really feel sorry for you.

You might want to back up your rational moral reasoning on this issue, because it seems that you are just trying to rationalize what makes you “feel good”. There is much more to life than money and your own selfish desires for self pleasure. May I ask if you went to a public school? If not, did you pay for your private education, or was it your parents? As far as class goes, I would guess that you grew up in the wealthy upper class? Am I right? Have you ever really worked hard for your money? I wonder if your mind might change if you were born into poverty as a minority and a homosexual. You should really think about your fellow man as someone with desires and dreams just as your own. “Too bad” just doesn’t cut it! I hope that one day you will see the error in your perspective.

Because I don’t like theft, I lack “compassion”? That’s ludicrous…

Of course…but that doesn’t justify robbing Peter to pay Paul.

No

My parents paid some of it, the rest was a grant from a local private fund established for that purpose. But no money was forcibly taken from anyone.

You couldn’t be more wrong. My parents made about $15,000-20,000/year each–this was in the late 80’s and early to mid 90’s

Hell yes! I’ve worked as a construction worker, a landscaper, on street crews, as a salesperson, and as a farmhand while I was in high school. In addition, I have had jobs that required little physical labor, but an incredible amount of mental labor and ability.

It wouldn’t. Convenience does not dictate right and wrong.

I do. But I don’t see why I should have what’s mine taken from me to pay for them.

Kurt,
I apologize as I probably went a bit far with my comments, but I am very passionate in regards to social policies and equality issues.

My point is that sometimes people need a helping hand. You had your parents and a little help from a local grant. Not everyone has that chance. I am only suggesting that everyone should have available opportunity, just as you did. And that help should be available regardless of sexual preference, age, financial status, race, sex, etc. Everyone should have equal opportunity. You may disagree, and that is fine, but I only wish that you could see the world from a less individualistic, self-serving perspective.

Thank you. I’m passionate, too, because I know I’m right :smiley:

I agree that sometimes people need help, and there’s nothing wrong with helping them. But my problem lies in the fact that some people want to FORCE people to provide help. I see no problem with limiting help to private foundations, grants, etc.–and I’d probably contribute to them if I could afford it. But just because I don’t mind doing something voluntarily doesn’t mean I want to force everyone else to do it. I don’t have a say in how many kids Mary Ann Smith of Peoria, Illinois has or how she raises them–so why should I be forced to provide or pay for help for them

because they are alive just like you.

Applause
Murray Rothbard may say egalitarianism is a revolt against nature but he still has to live a 24 hour day.

But again, whose fault is that? I wasn’t consulted. Why should I be forced to take care of someone just because someone else decided to have a baby? Being alive does not entitle one to a living–it must be earned somehow. Why must it be earned? Because living (physically) requires certain material items–food, shelter, etc.–that must be produced or obtained somehow. To say that one is ENTITLED to those items means that if that person is not willing or able to produce them, then someone else must and if no one can be found to produce them voluntarily, then people must be forced to produce them–in other words, they must be made into slaves.