Hunger

These are not the statistics I found for a family of four. How did you come up with them? They would only apply in a place where food and rent are cheap. Such places are rare nowadays.

I made those number up. And why not?

You never provide references to back up the numbers that you post. We don’t know where you got your numbers. :confusion-shrug:

Again, you don’t give the expenses of your family of 4 with an income of $50,000. You just say that they live where rent and food is expensive and we are to believe you. #-o

Less than $50,000 a year - how much less than that?
Many people do not go on vacations. Is that such a big deal? We spend so much and come home so tired. What’s the big deal about vacations?
I like to look into people’s carts when I go food shopping just out of curiosity. I often see so much soda, so many sweets, et cetera. Money is squandered. What would be saved by having better nutritional food could send a family of four on a nice little vacation.
We need to be more discriminate with our money.
I have a friend who always complains about not having enough money; yet, every weekend they go out to eat. I see multitudinous images of her and her family on facebook eating, drinking. I bring it up to her and what does she say - well, we have to live, don’t we? :laughing:

People are really spoiled, hedonistic - spend, spend spend and yet they never seem to have enough money.

All of my references are from internet research, not made up. But we are getting off topic here.
When the rich blow money they are said to be helping the economy; when the poor blow money, they are accused of being hedonistic. Both believe in the American Dream–you can have it all.

That’s great but if you don’t provide a reference then you might as well be making up the numbers. Without a reference, there is no way for a reader to know the specific context, details or to evaluate legitimacy.

(Don’t take this personally. Most posters on ILP don’t provide adequate references.)

I did not realize I was back in English 101, where references made all the difference in validity of assertions. All you have to do is google wealth inequality in the US and similar searches, too many to mention here, and you’ll see how I arrived at my conclusions. The sites I mentioned were based on US census research. I’m not going to outline those here when anyone curious about wealth inequality in the USA can simply find information by Search of the relevant topics.

Are you saying that all references having to do with internet research are valid? None are made up or fudged? But phyllo’s correct. There are no references
Insofar as getting off topic goes, that happened quite awhile back.

But the rich have the money to blow albeit it would be a good thing if they “blew” lol it in the right direction - the poor do not. Granted it isn’t a just world…

Just for the record…

forbes.com/sites/kerryadolan … s-of-2012/

I suppose that we don’t always know who is contributing to charities - no matter what the intention, but I tend to think that we might be a bit biased against the rich unless we do our homework and sometimes even when we do our homework.

telegraph.co.uk/technology/b … -work.html

Just to name two…

Why should I wade through 8,940,000 results that google finds when you know exactly the source of your numbers? All you need do is cut and paste the address of a website and you save everyone lots of time and you strengthen your point.

Don’t you want give this information to others? Isn’t it important that they become aware of the truth of what you are saying?

If people have to waste time and effort on doing all the research themselves, then they probably won’t do it. But they might look at link to a site that you provide.

I don’t know how to cut and paste. I’m computer illiterate. So all I can offer are “Facts” I have found in research. No one needs to believe them. They are only used to illustrate the basic fact that there is gross economic inequality in the USA. If one does not believe that, all the references in the world will not convince them otherwise.
If one can believe that, then the legitimate questions become–what causes this?-- and what can be done about it?

According to Huxley, the idols that evoke insatiable hungers are patriotism and progress.

I prefer giving directly to those in need. Too damn many charities give too few pennies on the dollar to the problem they claim to be addressing. Salaries of those in charge of the charity tend to take the largest chunk of pennies. Then you get expense accounts, then you finally get to what should qualify as real expenses. If you want to help find friends, find those in need and just help.

Agree. I get mail from many so-called charitable organizations. They send me calendars, address labels and sometimes a coin or check to make me feel obligated to send them money. My mentor once told me that, since I did not request the “gifts” sent by these organizations, I am not obliged to pay for them. It’s emotional blackmail.

Do you think if I prayed really, really hard god could deliver me a burger and fries with a strawberry milkshake?

That’s what I got a hunger for right now.

Please god, hold the onions as they give me gas…

No food for trolls.

I thought your god loves everybody where it is taught his followers should love everybody as well.

Don’t you love me Ierellus?

Of course. I can love you without wanting to share in your disease, which is mockery, pure and simple. A friend once told me that a hamburger has more meaning than my philosophy. First things first. And, please learn to spell my name correctly–it is Ierrellus.

Dear god…

Since, apparently, you have the ability to bombard the net with a plethora of images, you have the intelligence to get a job and buy your own hamburger.

They outsourced all the good jobs to China and I don’t speak any Mandarin.

And your source for this information is—? Who are they? Wal-Mart is hiring. So is MacDonalds.