I'm thinking of leaving this site...should I?

Sure.

He claims believing in God is like believing in fairies. He claims religion opposes science.

He claims raising children in a religion is mental abuse.

(He ignores the social sciences that show religion has huge mental health benefits. He ignores Jesus. Etc.)

Believing in anything may be both like and unlike believing in fairies.

Religious people have opposed science. They’ve also practiced science.

People do abuse children in the name of religion. They also treat them well in the name of religion.

So there seems to be some truth in those propositions and some falsity.

The issues aren’t as black and white as you made them out to be. You seem to want to make things simpler than they are.

Appealing to authority helps you deny the ambiguity, complexity and difficulties of life. You don’t have to think for yourself. Your superiors spoon feed you the answers.

That’s not the Richard Dawkins view. He doesn’t take a nuanced position towards religion.

His view is religion = bad. He is 100% black and white.

That’s why he’s so juvenile.

I deal with the ambiguity, complexity and difficulties of life everyday. I just have a doctrine I follow that I didn’t make up myself, unlike the atheists, who make up their own every day.

There’s truth in what you say about Dawkins. But, your view is black and white, my way or the highway, and un-nuanced too. You seem to be dealing with the ambiguity, complexity, and difficulties of life by rigid mindless adherence to an external authority that tells you what to think and what to do. How is it working for you?

“I just have a doctrine I follow that I didn’t make up myself, unlike the atheists, who make up their own every day.”

R u suggesting or implying that anyone who follows a doctrine they made up themselves, would be wrong? If so, what do you say about those writers of the old testament who in the very act of writing the material had to make it up.

On the other hand, you might be saying there was some special revelatory nature to the discovery of the truth - that certain people at certain times and places literally established communications with a divine being, and what they dictate as interpreters is the undisputed truth.

But, if that’s the case, you’ve also got several other folks claiming the authority of having true revelatory knowledge of God, and according to them, God’s tellin 'em something different.

Yeah run along.
You should be able to find a forum with someone who can massage your delusions, and not challenge you.
Afterall you are not really interested in debate, you only want to find your own weird ideas confirmed.

Pot calling kettle black

If he is juvenile then all 3 must be.
youtube.com/watch?v=bow4nnh1Wv0

I was gonna say.

If a theist cant handle the presence of atheists his gods must be feeble and gods aren’t feeble, so he likely isn’t a true believer.

I can handle it, its just sad it’s like 90% of the posters here.

Great.

It’s better to believe in God and live like a Christian rather than being a self worshipping atheist existentialist like Nietszche or Sartre.

Since you have to denigrate Friedrich Nietzsche and Jean-Paul Sartre, in order to feel good about your chosen path, I doubt that the way you’re going is as great as you say.

The my way or the highway attitude of your thinking blinds you to the significance of thinkers who are not in lockstep with you. It makes it difficult for you to carry on dialogue without becoming harsh and judgmental.

I can’t help but wonder what effect that attitude has on your personal life. How could that be “great”?

In my personal life, I try to be as charitable as possible, I work with the elderly and volunteer with them. I give to charity.

I try to be centered on others, unlike Nietszche and Sartre, who were undoubtedly centered on themselves.

So, I think I’m striving to be a better person, although I often fail like everyone else.

Also, the social sciences tend to show the religious are happier than the atheists are.

google.com/amp/s/www.pewres … n/%3famp=1

Living a self centered life only leads to emptiness.

Based on your assessment of Friedrich Nietzsche and John Paul Sartre, I doubt that you have read them.

Good that you’re striving to be a better person!

Felix,

I’ve read:

“Nausea”
“No Exit”
“Ecce Homo” a few times.
“The Gay Science”
“The Antichrist”
About half of “Thus Spake Zarathustra”
As well as 4 biographies of Nietszche and all of his letters a few times. (That’s how I know how self absorbed Nietszche was.)

en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Select … _Nietzsche

I’ve also watched a bunch of documentaries on Nietszche and Sartre.

Sartre was even worse than Nietszche; a sexual predator with his partner in crime Simone.

Thanks.

Here’s a good documentary on Nietszche I watched 40 times.

youtu.be/m5fEi5PR9Hs

Jesus, who you claim allegiance to, taught “judge not lest ye be judged.” Do you really suppose that you’re able to sum up and judge the lives of these men who contributed so much to philosophy? Isn’t the Christian thing to evaluate their philosophies and leave the ultimate judgment of the men themselves to God?

That quote doesn’t mean what you think it means. I know atheists love it.

We all judge behavior. Even you. You’ve judged me several times.

True, I can’t judge their final destination. That’s up to God.

If you judged rightly, I think you would realize that you are as wretched as the most wretched man and that only God can save you.