Is anyone here a recovering atheist?

I believe in Jesus’s miracles because they were written about by historical sources.

Even Jesus’s enemies conceded he performed miracles; they just said they were works of sorcery.

I do wonder, again, why are you so interested in this topic as an atheist?

Do you ever think your world view could be wrong and you’re missing out on the most important truth there is??

Jesus’s “miracles” were not written about by contemporaneous sources. Do you understand that? Do you even know what “contemporaneous” means?

Answer my question, you empty atheist.

Actually, I am a recovering Christian who would very much like to bump into an argument able to persuade me to note that I am a recovering atheist.

After all, with morality here and now and immortality there and then on the line, sure, I’d like to be a true believer again.

A God, the god, any God that might allow me to reject a fractured and fragmented “I” that will one day topple over into the abyss that is oblivion.

On the other hand, among other things, the argument would have to revolve around…

1] a demonstration that in fact this God does exist. After all, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of Gods out there that are said to exist. Why yours?
2] I would need to know how you connect the dots existentially between morality here and now and immortality there and then. The part that revolves around Judgment Day.
3] I would need to be apprised of how you address the question of theodicy.

Just ask Jesus if He is real. Be patient!

He will come.

I do.

That doesn’t mean Jesus’s miracles were myths.

I guarantee you don’t hold other historical figures to that type of standard.

Now please stop following me around and go build an altar to yourself.

Me.

I think we should stop calling them atheists, like some goddamn academic word for a plant, and call them what they are: godless.

Please stop lying that I worship myself, you god-besotted narcissist.

It means that there are no eyewitness accounts of anyone named Jesus performing miracles. Therefore there is no evidence of any kind that he, in fact, performed miracles, and no direct evidence that he even existed.

That’s not true.

Also, you never answered my question:

“Do you ever think your world view could be wrong and you’re missing out on the most important truth there is??”

Do you believe the stories of Buddha or Muhammad, or any number of other figures, performing miracles? Presumably you do, if you believe that they are not held to the same standard as Jesus.

Mohammad was a pedophile warlord. Not my favorite.

Buddha never claimed to be God nor did He resurrect from the dead.

Jesus is unique.

Muhammad, in addition to being both those things, also, according to contemporary reports from those who were with him, stuck his hand up into the sky and split the moon in half. Do you believe this to be true?

The argument I am after:

The argument you choose to provide instead:

:laughing:

Come on admit it:

This is all just an exercise in irony on your part. You play this knee-jerk religious fanatic “FreeSpirit” in order to mock those who actually are knee-jerk religious fanatics. Even the name “FreeSpirit”!

But, just in case you actually are able in all sincerity to think yourself into believing the mile wide, inch deep stuff you preach here, I feel it is now appropriate to provide you with a new username. Feel free to use it yourself.

Do you?

But why should I answer your questions? Your ignore almost all my questions or points, or erect straw men of what I have said. This is typical apologetics. Apologetics = dishonesty, which is mystifying if your god is The Truth. Why does The Truth need to be carried by a battalion of lies?

If you have read even half my posts you would already have the answer to your question in any case.

What’s not true? That there is no evidence that Jesus performed miracles?

If there is, please provide the evidence. Paul claiming Jesus performed miracles is not evidence.

Just out of curiosity, do you actually believe that eventually your carefully reasoned arguments will sink into a mind like ShackledSpirit’s? And that some day he will “get” them?

After all, it didn’t work with me. :wink:

Though at least here we are more or less on the same page in reacting to philosophical buffoons like him.

You know, if that’s what he is.

No because he was a warlord pedophile.

I think he was a charlatan.

So the contemporary reports of this miracle are unreliable?

I may be a phisophocal buffoon but Aquinas wasn’t.

Neither was Pascal.

And here I was beginning to think we were becoming friends.

But, unlike you, they are not here to completely ignore the points I raise.