Liberal or Conservative?

I really affiliate with no ideology, party, religion, or philosophy. You may call me liberal because i’m a God damned individualist. Without individuals, stupid paternal authoritarian groups would be grovelling in the dark, groping for some high-sounding ideas to steal from some great liberal mind. I believe my self-taught education and economic status have contributed to this. Liberal essentially comes from the Latin word Liberalis which originally mean’t a free and generous noble man. Today many people look to protection from groups instead of relying on themselves. They have forgotten what it is to choose one’s own values freely, the noblest and best part of their existence has been relegated to the decision of their country, church, family, or other superficial social group.

“Madness is rare in individuals-- but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule.” Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.

My inclinations are to the left, whatever that means. The problem with all this is defining the term ‘liberal’ or ‘left’ or ‘right’ etc. We have to give definintions if we are to know what people are talking about.

However, salient in my mind are issues dealing with capitalism and the environment, closemindedness, narcissism and egoism - all present disasters in the world. These are influenced, in my opinion, by individualist philosophies of liberals and the values espoused by capitalism, conservative and libertarian based philosophy.

“Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.” John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Welcome to the forum Theoria, and think you for that remarkable quote.