Philosophy ILP style

Topic: On/Off. What is binary choice?

Sorry, nothing as trivial as you’d hoped, Biggums.

I’ll start a thread inspired by Dan.

Okay, but I should warn you: As little respect as you have for my own trivial intelligence, I have at least ten times less respect for yours. :evilfun:

The fact that you can count to ten and multiply that, warms my heart. :smiley:

Someone here imagines that he is doing philosophy but doesn’t even know what “begs the question” means. :-$

I think that is pretty much par for the course here on ILP.

_
Try stay off that verbal paternoster of your’s, Iam… if you can.

Okay, first the “technical” meaning:

“In classical rhetoric and logic, begging the question or assuming the conclusion is an informal fallacy that occurs when an argument’s premises assume the truth of the conclusion, instead of supporting it.” Wikipedia

Now, the manner in which I used it above:

1] Sculptor comes into the thread making the point that philosophy ILP style is basically now just a joke.
2] so the first question that then popped into my head is this: if that’s how he feels why then is he here? That’s the question in my view that begged to be asked. So I asked it.

And then he noted he was in here just for the laughs.

And, sure, that’s a perfectly reasonable answer to give if you are in need of laughs.

So then I asked him to begin a new discussion.

Paternoster

1. (in the Roman Catholic Church) the Lord’s Prayer, especially in Latin.
  2. an elevator consisting of a series of linked doorless compartments moving continuously on an endless belt.

So, which one did you have in mind? You know, given a particular context.

:evilfun:

Right, Wendy?

The constant insults.

There is nobody here named Curly, Larry, Moe or Shemp.

Nice use of Google! =D>

Come on, I have been noting my own assessments of the manner in which you portray my own approach to philosophy at ILP. Substantive points allowing you to respond substantively in turn.

And I can absolutely assure you that to the extent that you do respond substantively to my points there will be no “Larrys” from me. In fact, I have used phyllo throughout on this thread, right? After all, it’s not exactly a science differentiating phyllo and Larry. It is wholly subjective.

So, do you have anything substantive to add to my points above…or not?

Thanks, but that’s what it’s there for. Now, on to my own wholly subjective intent above in regard to Sculptor.

As a relative newcomer, I do observe, unfortunately, that there is relatively little substantive philosophical discourse here, and a lot of personal attacks, backbiting, slurs, etc. I suppose I’ve done a bit of it myself, but mostly when certain people, such as someone who didn’t know until he used Google a few minutes ago what “begs the question” means, refuses to responsibly engage or even acknowledge the arguments of others. I do wish this were a better and more attractive place, but I think most message boards have deteriorated to this point. I used to post at the now-defunct iidb, which imploded spectacularly around 2010, and participation there was absolutely massive, including all kinds of working scientists, philosophers, and scholars of all sorts. Back then, however, blogs and youtube were embryonic, and the odious T*****r did not yet exist. Most people who actually know stuff have mainly migrated to blogs and other venues. Still, this could be a good venue even at this late date, if people who actually knew stuff and were interested in honestly exchanging views with others posted. There are some good posters here, and I am encouraged by Yazata, who is new here.

But if you knew anything about philosophy, you would have already known what “begs the question” means. You would also know what the Law of Non-Contradiction means. These are just such elementary things that one expects them to be known by everyone on a philosophy board.

A block of words this time only in order to say the very same thing: that I’m the problem here.

Think that yourself? Then don’t read the stuff I post. Let alone believe it, read it and keep responding to it over and over and over and over and over again.

It’s clearly a personal problem with him. The Karpel Tunnel Syndrome let’s call it.

Meanwhile, I have been doing my best to comment on the points that phyllo raised above. Anyone here inclined to do their best in an exchange of substantive posts relating to my own reactions?

Jesus Christ. :open_mouth:

Of course here you have a choice [binary or otherwise]: call her on polluting my threads or, sure, figure that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

You take no responsibility in this matter as expected. You came into my thread to Groot. I asked you to refrain, so instead you returned to insult. Repeatedly, typical Biggie.

You both deserve a time-out.

Stop bugging each other.

I wasn’t the original annoying bug. Biggie needs to own up to starting shit. I’ll definitely own up to finishing it.