philosophy in film

The man with no name is back. Only this time the name he doesn’t have is a different one: Monco. Why? See below**.

Ode to the ubermen.

Only back then the Uberman seemed like a more viable concept. A man who was good with a gun in a town that could barely scrape together a legal code really could be the fittest to survive. And then it becomes his way or the highway. Until another Uberman comes along with a better… argument.

Of course some just called them bullies. Or bulldozing bastards. It doesn’t necessarily have to be about philosophy, does it?

And up on the screen the ubermen are like the ubermen in here. They always win because it’s all done with the words. Just different kinds of scripts.

What makes this film unique is that the ubermen own it from start to finish. Practically all we ever see are ubermen. Two on one side of the law and all the rest on the other. But what it’s really all about is the money. Or revenge. And the way you tell the good ubermen from the bad ubermen is the part that revolves around treachery and betrayal. Again, it has practically nothing to do with philosophy. The philosophy of, say, Nietzsche.

Look for Aguirre.

IMDb

[b]Lee Van Cleef claimed to be faster on the draw than Clint Eastwood. He took three frames of film (one eighth of a second) to draw, cock and fire.

**“Monco” is NOT the same character as “Joe” in A Fistful of Dollars. This was the finding of an Italian court that adjudicated the lawsuit brought by Jolly Films, producer of “A Fistful of Dollars”. After the release of the first film, director Sergio Leone had a falling out with the producers and made this sequel with a different producer, ‘Alberto Grimaldi’. Jolly Films sued, claiming ownership of the “Joe” character, but lost when the court decided that the western gunfighter’s persona, characterized by the costume and mannerisms, belonged to the public domain’s folklore.[/b]

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_a_Few_Dollars_More
trailer: youtu.be/bgjiEtBlhnQ

FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE [1965]
Written in part and directed by Sergio Leone

[b]Title card: Where life had no value, death, sometimes, had its price. That is why the bounty killers appeared.

Railroad depot clerk [to the Colonel]: Guy passed by here in person and added on those two zeros. He was spittin’ mad when he saw what they was offerin’. He wasn’t flattered. He said, “A measly thousand bucks for me is much too little. I’m worth a lot more than that”. He said that, and then he added them zeros on the thousand.

Colonel Mortimer: Pardon me, Ma’am.

‘Baby’ Red Cavanaugh: I didn’t hear what the bet was.
Monco: Your life.

El Paso Bank Manager: To try robbing us would be so futile that only a complete fool would attempt it.
Col. Mortimer: Yeah. Or a complete madman.

Barkeep: Listen, mister, why did you choose my place to commit suicide? I know that man. It’s a miracle you’re alive.
Col. Mortimer: Why should a man walk around with a pistol and let himself be insulted? It’s mighty strange.
Barkeep: If the hunchback didn’t shoot you… he had a very important reason, that’s all.
Col. Mortimer: I was thinking that myself.

Kid: Just like the games we play.

Col. Mortimer: One from the outside one from the inside. There’s no other way. One of us will have to join Indio’s gang.
Monco: Why did you look at me when you said one of us?
Col. Mortimer: Because they don’t know you. Wild sees me and his hump will catch on fire.
Monco: Tell me Colonel. How do you propose that I join up with Indio? Maybe bring him a bunch of roses.

Monco: Tell me, Colonel…Were you ever young?
Col. Mortimer: Yup. And just as reckless as you. Then one day, something happened. It made life very precious to me.
Monco: What’s that? Or is the question indiscreet?
Col. Mortimer: No. The question isn’t indiscreet. But the answer could be.

Col. Mortimer [to Monco]: I was worried about you…all alone with so many problems.

Indio: You shouldn’t have shot the apples off that tree.

[Mortimer has just recovered the watch from Indio, which contains a picture of the woman that Indio raped]
Monco: There seems to be a family resemblance.
Col. Mortimer: Naturally, between brother and sister.[/b]

Tom Ripley. This is a man who embodies beyond good and evil. You can defend objective ethics until you are blue in the face to him. It won’t take. Or I suspect it won’t. For him what is right and what is wrong revolves entirely around his ego. And this is no more necessarily immoral than it is necessarily moral. It just is what it is. And it can be construed this way once one presumes that we live in a world without God.

Many might argue he embodies the attributes of the Uberman. But there will always be disputes regarding the extent to which his attributes are the right ones. Is he a true Uberman?

One thing for certain: Jonathan isn’t. At least not at the beginning. Not only that but he’s dying. He has leukemia. And he and his wife are barely afloat financially. But others are willing to take advantage of this—of him being a wanker with one foot in the grave.

And out of this comes one of the most improbable friendships you are ever likely to see. Or perhaps as close to friendship as Ripley is ever likely to come.

From the soundtrack. One of the most beautiful and stirring pieces ever composed. And [to me] it seems to capture the pathos embodied in Jonathan: youtu.be/EnJOH5PImrw

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripley’s_Game_(film
trailer: youtu.be/AxaIV897PkQ

RIPLEY’S GAME [2002]
Written in part and directed by Liliana Cavani

[b]Ripley: Your entire education comes from classic car magazine and you dress like you’re on a condom run for the mob. By the way, it isn’t a Correggio, it’s a fake Rembrandt and until you know that, you’re not coming in with me.
Reeves: Don’t fuck me over here, pratt.
Ripley: Don’t threaten me. I’m not the one wearing an earring.

Ripley: That is a lovely Icarus. He flew too close to the sun, no?

Guest: Have you seen Ripley’s place?
Jonathan: Bloody philistine American! He’s ruined that Palladian villa. Restored the heart and soul out of it. That’s the trouble with Ripley. Too much money and no taste.
[suddenly he sees Ripley standing in the room]
Jonathan: Oh, hi. You’re here, then. Excellent. We were hoping you’d come.
Ripley: Why?
Jonathan: Well, to… to add spice to the evening.
Ripley: Meaning?
Jonathan: You’re a bit of a local personality.
Jonathan: People have heard about you.
Jonathan: Nothing. Just…nothing.

Ripley: Didn’t I ask you to never come near me?
Reeves: Yes, you did.
Ripley: Ever.
Reeves: But I forgive you, Tom.

Ripley [to Reeves]: Do you want to tell me what you want or do you want some truffling pig to find you dead somewhere in a month or two.

Luisa: Why was he here?
Ripley: He wants me to kill someone.
Luisa: Why did he ask you?
Ripley: Because I can.

Luisa: How was the party?
Ripley: Smashing.
Luisa: I knew you’d hate it. Isn’t it sad about him?
Ripley: Who?
Luisa: The picture framer. He’s got leukaemia.
Ripley: Is drunken pomposity a symptom?
Luisa: No. He’s just English.

Sarah: He doesn’t talk about it, but I know he’s angry. He’s angry because he’ll probably die soon, while we go on living. He’s angry to be so young. He’s angry that he might not see Matthew grow up.
Ripley: And you? Are you angry?
Sarah: Sometimes. I love him completely…but there’s a part of me that will be glad when it’s all over with. And that’s a terrible thing to say.
Ripley: I don’t think you could even say anything that terrible. Or think it. What you feel isn’t terrible at all.

Reeves [to Jonathan]: Even bastards have friends…even dead bastards

Ripley [to Jonathan]: Hold my watch, because if it breaks I’ll kill everyone on this train.

Ripley [to Jonathan in the bathroom with three dead bodies]: It never used to be so crowded in first class.

Jonathan: Please, I realize I’ve had over 20 minutes to adjust to becoming one of Europe’s most wanted. I know I must look ludicrous to you with my heaving, and shaking and my shockingly awful normalness. I do hope that you will forgive me.
[he breaks down]
Jonathan: I can’t look at my son! I can’t look at my son! I can’t explain how I made these dollars! And I really fear I am in fact ill. I’m not well…

Jonathan: I know I should thank you, I wouldn’t be alive if you hadn’t helped me. But I can’t say thank you. I don’t know anything about you. Who are you?
Ripley: I’m a creation. A gifted improviser. I lack your conscience and when I was young that troubled me. It no longer does. I don’t worry about being caught because I don’t believe anyone is watching. The world is not a poorer place because those people are dead. It’s one less car on the road. It’s a little less noise and menace. You were brave today. You put some money away for your family. That’s all.
Jonathan: If you lack my conscience, why did you help me on the train?
Ripley: I don’t know, but it doesn’t surprise me. The one thing I know is we’re constantly being reborn.

Jonathan: One of them’s still alive.
Ripley: How do you know?
Jonathan: Well, I heard it on the world news.
Ripley: Jesus. I always figured you for a talk radio man. Okay, well, I guess I didn’t strangle him long enough. It’s not like a garrote comes with a manual.

Jonathan: What about my family? I’m just worried about my family.
Ripley: If they come for anyone, they’ll come for me. These Balkan types tend to take strangling quite personally.

Jonathan: Are you scared?
Ripley: No.
[pause, then, still calmly]
Ripley: I am fucking terrified.

Jonathan: Do you think we’ll get away with it?
Ripley: Sure, why not?
Jonathan: I don’t know. I’ve just never been the sort of person to get away with things. At school, other kids got away with all sorts. But not me. I always got caught.
Ripley: You know why you got caught?
Jonathan: Why?
Ripley: Because you didn’t think of just killing your teachers.

Jonathan: I can’t stand this waiting.
Ripley: When I was a little boy I waited on the beach for hours for my parents to come back from a boat ride. They drowned. I could wait for ever.

Ripley [to the gangster sent to kill him]: I want you to call the man who sent you here. I want you to tell him you got a very long look at the two of us, we were definitely not the people on the train. Do you understand? If you do that, you do it convincingly, you walk out of here, we give you half a million dollars, okay? If you don’t do it convincingly, I take you out back, and I run my fucking tractor over your head the rest of the day. Okay?

Jonathan [to Ripley with Reeves in the trunk]: I guess you were wrong about South America.

Ripley: You know the most interesting thing about doing something terrible?
Jonathan: What?
Ripley: Often after a few days, you can’t even remember it.
Jonathan: That makes me feel really, really good.

Ripley [to Jonathan who just took a bullet for him]: Why did you do that?[/b]

Todd Solondz again. So you know the characters here will [one way or another] be tettering and tottering somewhere on the road less traveled. And tettering and tottering on the road less traveled in their heads too. Pathetic, in other words. Only the heavily medicated can ever hope to endure them.

You wouldn’t necessarily want to be inside there with them perhaps but [one way or the other] the chosen [or accursed] few eventually are. And no need to ask, “Chosen [or cursed] by who?”

Abe drives a Hummer. And not just sub-consciously. He still lives home with mom and dad and his toy collection. But the guy is almost as cynical as I am about, well, the things that matter most.

And Miranda…

She’s the character who wants to be the creative star but [for whatever reason] she just isn’t able to pull it off. She doesn’t have what it takes to be The Great Writer. So all that is left for her is to down-size her expectations and somehow be just like everybody else. So, she’ll settle for Abe.

Oh, and she is infected with Hepatitis B. But then at one point in their lives 1/3 of the world’s population is too. Naturally, the first thing Abe does is Google it.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Horse_(2011_film
trailer: youtu.be/IsB2NyqQZr4

DARK HORSE [2011]
Written and directed by Todd Solondz

[b]Abe [to Miranda]: I really like the way you named your dog Dog. It’s so ironic.

Abe [after Dad fires him and kicks him out of the house]: And you can program the tivo yourself!

Abe: Mom, you never did pay up on my Backgammon winnings. $845 as of October 4th.
Phyllis [mom]: I’ll write you a check. You were always so go with dates and numbers. Hey, you wanna play a quick round, just for fun?
Abe: First the check.
Phyllis: Can I pay you in installments? I don’t want your father to find out.

Abe: I don’t need drugs. People should just face their problems head on. Face the truth.
Phyllis: What is “the truth”
Abe: We’re all horrible people. Humanity is a fucking cesspool. People look in the mirror everyday and lie to themselves about being caring and loving. But deep down they only care about themselves. People…people treat you like shit…every fucking day. And then act like other people are shit. So they get a pet that’s all cute and cuddly but even an animal knows the hard primal truth: It is all about what you want and if there is any kindness or generosity it all comes after being well-fed or having good sex or knowing that you weren’t wiped out like all the other suckers on Wall Street.[/b]

Wow. Mia Farrow [mom] must have thought she was back with Woody Allen again!

[b]Miranda: Please tell me something and I want you to be honest…are you for real?
Abe: Absolutely. 200%.
Miranda: You mean you’re not being ironic…like performance art or something?

Miranda: I want to want you.
Abe: That’s enough for me.

Miranda: I had a long talk with Mahmoud, my ex. I told him all about you. How different you are from what I’m used to. I want to down-size everything and he agrees. I should stop trying to slit my wrist, give up on a literary career, give up on hope, success and independence. I should just get married and have children…[/b]

Here’s the gist of it…

Abe [in his head subconsciously]: All this time my whole life has been lies!
Mom: No one ever lied to you, you just didn’t see the truth.
Abe: What fucking truth are you talking about, that I’m a failure?!
Mom: Sweety, we’d written you off as a failure years ago. Everyone knows, Richard’s the success and you’re the failure. Life just turned out that way, what could we do?
Abe: Why didn’t you screw Richard up? Why did he have to be the one to get all the praise, all the prizes, all the…
Richard: I worked for all I got in life, Abe. Nothing was handed to me on a silver platter.
Mom: That’s true. I treated you equally.
Abe: Except Richard was the favorite.
Richard: Is it my fault that I studied?
Abe: You cruised through school. It was always so easy. You never had to study.
Richard: I was born smart so shoot me.
Mom: It’s true he was gifted. But I still loved you both the same.
Richard: The problem was you were lazy. You had opportunities and you blew them.
Mom: You always had an attitude problem.

And…

Mahmoud: Abe, Miranda was never really serious about you. And she would have been far better off with your brother…with who she has so much more in common. He is very good looking, isn’t he? I know that life has been unfair to you but it has given you every possible advantage so your feelings of inadequacy are now endless and unrelenting. You’re a toy collector, a textbook pathology of western consumer capitalism.

0sama bin Laden was the religious equivalent of a Nazi. He set out to find the infidels and then he exterminated them. In this respect he got what he deserved and good riddance. I’m for any operation that rids the world of folks like him. Religious fanatics with guns and bombs and IEDs are some of the most dangerous folks anyone like you and I are ever likely to encounter. All you need be is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Boom. You’re gone.

But the number of innocent men, women and children he exterminanted does not compare – does not even really come close – to the number of innocent men, women and children that folks like Dick Cheney, George W. Bush and Barack Obama sent [and continue to send] packing to their graves.

But the controversy here revolves mostly around the use of torture. As though that were infinitely more important than an examination of the historical factors that led to the war in Afghanistan itself. As with The Hurt Locker, the director is more interested in nailing the operations down tactically than in examining the strategic nature of American foreign policy in the march up to war. In other words, the manner in which the military industrial complex was intimately interwoven into the sort of work done at the World Trade Center. How many Americans ask themselves: Why did they choose that target? Because they were really tall buildings?

The problem I always have with propaganda is the same. The extent to which those dispensing it are even aware that this is what they are dispensing. It’s not the parts they include but the parts they leave out. They either do is in cohoots with the folks behind the war economy or they don’t. Or it’s somewhere in the middle. In the muddle of human interactions around events like this.

And then there is that beautiful bit of irony when the Pakistani Air Force scrambles their F-16s, heading for the bin Laden complex. Now, take a wild guess: What country did Pakistan purchase those planes from? Hint: Lockheed Martin. My father once worked for them…back when it was Martin Marietta. In fact, I live less than a mile from the Lockheed plant right here in Baltimore: “For God and country! Geronimo!”

IMDb

[b]“Zero Dark Thirty” in military terms means 12:30 AM. Zero Dark is midnight, 00:00 on a 24 hour clock, 30 being added to connote 30 minutes past. In the scene during the raid you can see Maya look at the clock being shown as 00:30.

The movie was originally about the unsuccessful decade-long manhunt for Osama bin Laden. The screenplay was completely re-written after bin Laden was killed.

This movie depicts a high-level CIA official (known in the film as “The Wolf” and played by Fredric Lehne) as a devout Muslim. This corresponds with a March 24, 2012, Washington Post article titled “At CIA, a Convert to Islam Leads the Terrorism Hunt,” which (pseudonymously) profiles “Roger,” the chief of the CIA’s Counterterrorism Center and identifies him as an adult convert to Islam.

In an unusual step, acting CIA Director Michael Morell issued a statement about the film emphasizing that while the production team had met with the CIA, the film is a dramatization and is not historically accurate. Morell specifically contradicted the film’s assertion that “enhanced interrogation techniques”, also known as “torture”, had been of significant benefit in locating Osama bin Laden. Director Morell stated, “That impression is false. We cannot allow a Hollywood film to cloud our memory.”[/b]

Un, yeah, right.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Dark_Thirty

ZERO DARK THIRTY [2012]
Directed by Kathryn Bigelow

[b]Dan: I own you, Ammar.

Dan [to Ammar]: If you don’t look at me when I talk to you, I hurt you. If you step off this mat, I hurt you. If you lie to me, I’m gonna hurt you. Now, Look at me!

Dan: Right now, this is about you coming to terms with your situation. It’s you and me, bro. I want you to understand that I know you, that I’ve been studying you for a very long time. I could have had you killed in Karachi. But I let you live so you and I could talk.
Ammar: Then you beat me when my hands are tied.

Dan: Did you really think that when we got you, I would be a nice fucking guy?
Ammar: You’re a mid-level guy. You’re a garbage man in the corporation! Why should I respect you, huh? Why?
Dan: And you’re a money man. Paperboy. A disgrace to humanity. You and your uncle murdered 3,000 innocent people. Yeah. I have your name on a $5,000 transfer via Western Union to a 9/11 hijacker. And you got popped with 150 kilograms of high explosives in your house! And you dare question me?
[laughs]
Dan: Come on, man, I’m fucking with you.

[repeated line]
Dan: When you lie to me, I hurt you.

Dan: It’s cool, that you’re strong and I respect it, I do. But in the end, everybody breaks, bro. It’s biology.

Dan: This is what defeat looks like, bro. Your jihad is over.

Dan: You know, I can always go eat with some other dude, hang you back up to the ceiling…

Dan: You see how this works? You don’t mind if my female colleague sees your junk, do you?
[he pulls down Ammar’s pants]
Dan: Dude, you shit your pants.

Dan [to Ammar]: This is a dog collar. You determine how I treat you.

Dan [to Ammar]: This box sucks. I’m going to put you in it.

Jessica: How’s the needle in the haystack?
Mayas: Fine.
Jessica: Facilitators come and go, but one thing you can count on in life is that everyone wants money.
Maya: You’re assuming that Al Qaeda members are motivated by financial rewards. They’re radicals.
Jessica: Correct. You’re assuming that greed won’t override ideology in some of the weaker members.
Maya: Money for walk-ins worked great in the cold war, I’ll give you that. Just not sure those tactics are applicable to the Middle East.

Dan: We don’t know what we don’t know.
Bradley: What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
Daniel: It’s a tautology.

Maya: So what does this Baluchi guy look like?
Abu Faraj: Tall, long white beard, thin, walks with a cane.
Maya [smirks]: Kinda like Gandalf.
Abu Faraj: Who?

Dan: Look, Maya, you gotta be really careful with detainees now. The politics are changing and you don’t want to be the last one holding a dog collar when the oversight committee comes.
Maya: I know.

George Wright: If you thought there was some secret cell somewhere working Al Qaeda, I want you to know that you’re wrong. This is it. There’s no working group coming to the rescue. There’s nobody else, hidden away on some other floor. There is just us. And we are failing. We’re spending billions of dollars. People are dying. We’re still no closer to defeating our enemy. They attacked us on land in 98, by sea in 2000, and from the air in 2001. They murdered three thousand of our citizens in cold blood, and they’ve slaughtered our forward deployed. And what the fuck have we done about it? What have we done? We have twenty leadership names and we’ve only eliminated four of them. I want targets! Do your fucking jobs, bring me people to kill!

Dan [to Maya]: Okay, I’ll go and talk to the Wolf.

Dan: I need a favor.
Kuwaiti Businessman: Why I should help you?
Dan: Because we’re friends.
Kuwaiti Businessman: You saying we are friends? How come you only call me when you need help? But when I need something you are too busy to pick up the phone. I don’t think we are friends.
Dan: All right, fair enough. How about a new V10 Lamborghini? How’s that for friendship?

C.I.A. Director: What’s this - this cluster of buildings down here?
George: The PMA - it’s the Pakistani Military Academy.
[C.I.A. Director looks at him incredulously]
George: It’s their West Point.
C.I.A. Director: And how close is it to the house?
George: About a mile.
Maya: Four thousand, two hundred, twenty one feet; it’s closer to eight-tenths of a mile.
C.I.A. Director: Who are you?
Maya: I’m the motherfucker that found this place. Sir.

George Wright: I have to admit, I just don’t get the rhythms of politics.
NSA advisor: You think this is political? If this was political we’d be having this conversation in October when there’s an election bump. This is pure risk. Based on deductive reasoning, inference, supposition and the only human reporting you have is six years old, from detainees who are questioned under duress. The political move here is to tell you to go fuck yourself, and remind you that I was in the room when your old boss pitched WMD Iraq…at least there you guys brought photographs.

Maya [to the SEAL team]: There are two narratives about the location of Osama bin Laden. The one that you’re most familiar with is that UBL is hiding in a cave in the Tribal Areas, that he’s surrounded by a large contingent of loyal fighters. But that narrative is pre- 9/11 understanding of UBL. The second narrative is that he’s living in a city - living in a city with multiple points of egress and entries and with access to communications so that he can keep in touch with the organization. You can’t run a global network of inter- connected cells from a cave.

Maya: [to the SEAL team]: Quite frankly, I didn’t even want to use you guys, with your dip and velcro and all your gear bullshit. I wanted to drop a bomb. But people didn’t believe in this lead enough to drop a bomb. So they’re using you guys as canaries. And, in theory, if bin Laden isn’t there, you can sneak away and no one will be the wiser. But bin Laden is there. And you’re going to kill him for me.[/b]

In other words, bomb the whole complex into oblivion—including all of the women and children. Like we did with Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in Iraq.

The interconnected lives of women in modern day Tel Aviv. In some respects like the interconnected lives of people in any other part of the world. But in other respects – historically, culturally, experientially – unique and different. As co-director Etgar Keret notes below, they are lives in which each character only has so much control over the factors that push and then pull them in different directions. They are emotionally adrift in what can be the raging sea of humanity. A really, really bleak snapshot of modern day Israel. And this is at a considerable distance from the volatiile admixtures that encompasses the Middle East geopolitically.

Just like lots of folks over here [and no doubt where you are] there are many barely able to keep their head above water—financially and otherwise. Capitalism rules the roost there too. The things people are forced to do just in order to survive. But, as we all know [because they keep telling us], if you can’t make ends meet [or thrive and prosper] you have no one to blame but yourself.

And then out of the blue comes this little girl. She just seems to materialize out of thin air on the beach; Batya takes on the responsibility of caring for her. And then she loses her. And this is a very strange little girl. I mean really, really strange. For example, she says nothing at all. And don’t even think of taking the inflatable inner tube off.

IMDb

During a screening of the film in Albany, New York, in 2009, co-director Etgar Keret stated that the title of the film is a reference to the fact that jellyfish drift in the sea and do not have much control over their fate or direction.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellyfish_(film
trailer: youtu.be/auYqkwrnOho

JELLYFISH [Meduzot] 2007
Directed by Shira Geffen, Etgar Keret

[b]Boyfriend: So, should I stay or go?
Batya [after he has already gone]: Stay.

Batya: She disappeared.
Cop: Disappeared?
Batya: I looked for her all night. I took her to work and…I left her alone for a minute. I yelled at her. Sit down, relax. I lost her, I was responsible for her.
Cop: You’re not her mother, you just found her, right? So, that’s that.
Batya: What do you mean? What do we do now?
Cop: Nothing.
Batya: Nothing?
Cop: Unless someone comes looking for her. Her mother, her father. No one’s looking for her.
Batya: I’m looking for her.
Cop: You’re not her mother.
Batya: So what? The girl disappeared!
Cop: You know how many people disappear? Missing people are at the bottom of the list.
[he plops a stack of documents on the desk]
Cop: They don’t even get a folder. Eliyahu Zilka. No family. 83 years old. Hana Kelman. Alzheimer’s. Mois…What’s this? Moizo…Crozskazi…Can’t even say his name, so how are they gonna find him… Eliyahu Zilka. No family. Lost at sea. if you had her picture, maybe I could do something.
Batya: Like what?
Cop: Put out an all-points bulletin. Maybe someone would call.

Old woman [in Joy’s care]: What’s on a beach…dog shit and jellyfish.

Batya: They promised he’d come back.
Friend: Who?
Batya: The ice cream man. My mother promised he’d come back. Did they promise you anything when you were a child?
Friend: My parents are Holocaust survivors. I never asked anything from them.
Batya: You’re second generation?
Friend: We’re all second generation…of something.

Daughter: But did you like my acting?
Mother: Well, half the time you’re lying on the floor dead. And when you were acting, you and that Hamlet just kept fondling each other.
Daughter: We weren’t fondling each other. It’s physical theater.
Mother: Physical, yes, but why do you have to touch each other all the time?
Daughter: You don’t like touching at all.
Mother: What?
Daughter: Nothing, never mind.
Mother: No. What did you say? If you have something to say, say it. Even on stage no one understands a word you mumble.
Daughter [looking down at her…at the distance between them]: I’ll never come here again. Ever.

Keren [reading from a note left in the room by a woman she suspects wrongfully of having slept with her husband]: “I thought it would be simpler to die. I hate hotels. Maybe that’s why I chose to die in one. What am I waiting for? It’s all ready, the pills, my mood. So why doesn’t it happen? Is it because I’m not happy with the suicide note? I can’t find words to express my emotions. And I won’t do it until I find them. Or maybe it’s because I met someone who’ll save me. A ship inside a bottle cannot sink, or collect dust. It’s nice to look at and floats on glass. No one is small enough to board it. It doesn’t know where it’s heading. The wind outside won’t blow its sails. It has no sails, only a slip, a dress. And beneath them, jellyfish…”[/b]

I couldn’t draw a bunny to save my life. At least not one that looked like a bunny. But in the art world today that is not necessarily the point. The bunny can be seen as representing almost anything. And there may well be an infinite number of ways any one particular human mind might want to convey this in any one particular art form. Or a combination thereof.

The way Ray Johnson draws one really doesn’t resonate much with me. Maybe because I could have drawn it myself.

But I will always be drawn to anyone who is way, way, way off the beaten path. And then when the only thing more mysterious than his life is his death, well, I’m hooked.

But: My problem here is always the same. This “abstract”, “conceptual”, “avant-garde” art is not something that has any real impact with me. As with philosophy, my concerns always revolve around this: How Ought We To Live? Values and identity. The rest [like this stuff] is just too far removed from that. Or, rather, it is for me. But I’m sure any number of more sophisticated folks might try to explain why that is not really the case at all.

More to the point: He seemed to live inside his head. He lived in the world he created inside his head. That’s what I do. He gave others only bits and pieces. Peeks inside. That’s what I do. Only I never fully realized the advantages of going this way this until later in life. He seemed to pop out of the womb this way. One gets the impression he was not really self-conscious of this as a choice at all.

His equally enigmatic death. Did he jump in? A suicide? That’s how it was ruled. No note though. No explanation to anyone. He just left his house filled with hundreds of boxes packed with his work. Or did he? Were there clues left in the art? In one box in particular?

clip from the Ray Johnson memorial: youtu.be/8x-1_uBGWEg
ray johnson at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Johnson

HOW TO DRAW A BUNNY [2002]
Directed by John W. Walter

[b]Cop [who investigated Johnson’s death]: Starting with the initial phone calls, it was quite amazing and something I’ll remember from my whole police career. How a man who was 67 years old could go that length of time and still be a mystery to so many people. A lot of people knew this man. He made many, many phone calls to many, many people…and even more receiving calls from everyone around the world…Everyone had a story about Ray Johnson, but no one ever knew the whole Ray Johnson. It was like he would allow you just so far into his own being and that was it.

Richard Feigen: Ray was taken seriously by a lot of famous people in the underground art world…You started talking to Ray and you could be on the phone all day long…He was on this other planet…an inhabitant of this other planet and he was very hard to follow.

Frances Beatty: He was like a work of art. Everything he wore, everything he touched, everything he said…you could see the wheels going around and around and around all the time.

Frances Beatty: I’ll never forget. One day he said, “I think I have a show”. I said great Ray what’s it going to be. He said, “we’ll have nothing in the gallery”. I said, look Ray we could do nothing if we were downtown but uptown I don’t think we could do nothing. But you never knew if Ray was really going to do nothing or if his nothing was one of his “nothings”—his performances. They were called “nothing”. So you never knew if he was going do a] “nothing” or b] not do anything at all.[/b]

There’s one where he is in a gallery and he is just running around and around the room pushing a portable chalkboard. Finally, he stops and throws a stack of papers up into the air and they fall all around the chalkboard. Or “beat it, eat it” where he hopped around a cardboard box beating it with his belt.

[b]Richard Feigen: Once Ray asked me to hire an airplane to drop foot-long hot dogs over Rikers Island…and I got a bill from the company for the airplane…and the hot dogs.

Morton Janklo: He came to me and he said he would like to do my portrait. He said I had an interesting face and I thought that was very flattering. So we made an appointment at my home and he cast a shadow of light on the wall, put me in the light and he did an outline of my face on a large sheet of paper. And that was it. We had a drink and he left.[/b]

But that’s not where the story ends though.

[b]Gerry Ayers: You didn’t sit down and say, “oh Ray, how’s your love life or what are you gonna do about your career”. That’s just not part of Ray. So that when you get people to start describing him everyone is at a loss…everyone has a very particular fix on him from their own experiences with him.

Jim Rosenquist: In those days, all the artists very extremely hungry. They were very, very poor. They used to live on nothing. They were always really, really skinny. Nobody was concerned about money because none of us had it…I visited Ray when he lived on Suffolk Street. His apartment room was totally bare except for a stack of books going all the way up to the ceiling across the middle of the room. Oh, that’s a nice stack of books, I said. Yeah, he said, it holds up the ceiling.

Roy Lichtenstein: I imagine most people wondered how he existed. And he was thought of as an artist but very few people saw any of the art.

Malka Safro: Dorothy Podber was the wildest, wayout, wackiest, most extraordinary creature that ever walked the earth. She and Ray were an extraordinary pair and they would always go and visit people, doing things that were always unbelievable. She would carry out Ray’s concepts in her head…but her head was already there.

Billy Name. I was like a very good friend of Dorothy. She and Ray knew they could always be whereever I was. And under any circumstances. She came up to the Factory one day…Andy was working on a silkscreen when she opened her purse and took a pistol out. There was a stack of Marilyns leaning against the wall and she shot her right between the eyes and the forehead. She put the gun back in her purse, put her gloves on and left. It was a performance piece. So they’re now known as the shot Marilyns and are very valuable…She was dangerous.

Billy Name: Ray wasn’t into narcotics or opiates at all. Not at all. I mean zero. He was already high all the time. People would get high on things to try to get to where Ray was.

Jean-Claude [on Ray’s death]: Was it the last joke he played on the art world…to die without a word.
Christo: I don’t know.
Jean-Claude: Maybe he thought his death was a joke. We will never understand why he did that.

Friend: How if none of us can figure out his motive for living could any of us figure out his motive for dying? In terms of the way his life was set up, you could never ask those questions.[/b]

God is written all over this one. And yet He doesn’t make a single appearance. Do you doubt this? Then you are not alone.

Doubt is not an attribute God is said to have. How can He being omniscient. As such, there is not a single solitary instance of child sexual molestation [or rape] that could possibly have escaped His notice. And not just regarding priests either. Yet He did [does] nothing. But not to worry: He has His reasons.

And if the faithful really want to be smug they can always remind us that Divine Justice awaits the sinners. Even if they do get away with it down here.

The film unfolds right on the cusp between the old and the new. Before and after John Kennedy was assassinated. Before and after the Beatles. But to understand how that tugged some in conflicting directions you had to be there. Even the Catholic church wasn’t immune.

However, Sister Aloysius [the dragon] will be one of the last swept aside. She will go down swinging. Or is she just there to deflect any doubt about the good Father’s intention? Or his behavior?

Today of course we know just how widespread this sort of behavior was back then. And we know the role that the Catholic church played in sweeping it all under the rug. And it is the fact that this movie was made in 2008 which compelled the ending we got. Had it come out back then we know that the dragon would have been slain. Now, in a sense, they both are. But the crucial point is this: neither of these characters are cut from cardboard.

IMDb

[b]The play won the 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.

Oprah Winfrey reportedly lobbied for the role of Mrs. Miller, but John Patrick Shanley refused to even give her a reading.

Just as he did with the play, John Patrick Shanley only told the actor who played Father Flynn whether or not Flynn was guilty. None of the other actors knew.[/b]

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubt_(2008_film
trailer: youtu.be/edU2sxmJesQ

DOUBT [2008]
Written and directed by John Patrick Shanley

[b]Father Flynn: What do you do when you’re not sure? That’s the topic of my sermon today. Last year when President Kennedy was assassinated, who among us did not experience the most profound disorientation? Despair? Which way? What now? What do I say to my kids? What do I tell myself? It was a time of people sitting together, bound together by a common feeling of hopelessness. But think of that. Your bond with your fellow being was your despair. It was a public experience. It was awful, but we were in it together. How much worse is it then for the lone man, the lone woman, stricken by a private calamity? "No one knows I’m sick. " "No one knows I’ve lost my last real friend. " "No one knows I’ve done something wrong. " Imagine the isolation. Now you see the world as through a window. On one side of the glass, happy untroubled people, and on the other side, you.

Father Flynn [to Sister James]: The dragon is hungry.

Sister Aloysius [to Sister James]: Penmanship is dying all across this country!

Sister Aloysius: What have you seen?
Sister James: It is unsettling to look at people with suspicion. I feel less close to God.
Sister Aloysius: When you take a step to address wrongdoing, you are taking a step away from God, but in his service. What have you seen?

Sister James: But maybe it’s nothing.
Sister Aloysius: Then why do you look like you’ve seen the devil?

Sister Aloysius [to Sister James]: Years ago at Saint Boniface there was a priest. But I had Father Scully then. Here, there’s no man I can go to. Men run everything. We are going to have to stop him ourselves.

Father Flynn: It might be jolly to include a secular song.
Sister Aloysius: Secular?
Father Flynn: Yes. It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas. Something like that.
Sister Aloysius: What would be the point of a secular song?
Father Flynn: Just fun.
Sister James: Or Frosty the Snowman.
Father Flynn: That’s a good one.
Sister Aloysius: Frosty the Snowman espouses a pagan belief in magic. The snowman comes to life when an enchanted hat is put on his head. If the music were more somber, people would realize the images are disturbing and the song heretical.
Sister James: I never thought about Frosty the Snowman like that.
Sister Aloysius: It should be banned from the airwaves.
Father Flynn: So, not Frosty the Snowman.

Sister Aloysius: May I ask what you are writing down with that ball-point pen?
Father Flynn: Oh, nothing. It’s an idea for a sermon.
Sister Aloysius: You have one right now?
Father Flynn: I get them all the time.
Sister Aloysius: How fortunate.
Father Flynn: I forget them so I have to write them down.
Sister Aloysius: What is the idea?
Father Flynn: Intolerance.

Sister Aloysius: What happened in the rectory?
Father Flynn: Happened? Nothing happened. I had a talk with a boy.
Sister Aloysius: About what?
Father Flynn: Private matter.
Sister Aloysius: He’s twelve years old, what could be “private”?

Sister James: I don’t think Father Flynn did anything wrong.
Sister Aloysius: Yes you do. You just want things to be resolved so you can have simplicity back.

Sister James: How can you be so sure that he is lying?
Sister Aloysius: Experience.
Sister James: You just don’t like him! You don’t like it that he uses a ballpoint pen. You don’t like it that he takes 3 lumps of sugar in his tea. You don’t like it that he likes Frosty the Snowman and you are letting that convince you? Of something that’s terrible, just terrible. Well, I like Frosty the Snowman!

Sister James: They’re all uniformly terrified of you.
Sister Aloysius: Yes, that’s how it works.

[the intolerance sermon]
Father Flynn: A woman was gossiping with her friend about a man whom they hardly knew - I know none of you have ever done this. That night, she had a dream: a great hand appeared over her and pointed down on her. She was immediately seized with an overwhelming sense of guilt. The next day she went to confession. She got the old parish priest, Father O’ Rourke, and she told him the whole thing. ‘Is gossiping a sin?’ she asked the old man. ‘Was that God All Mighty’s hand pointing down at me? Should I ask for your absolution? Father, have I done something wrong?’ ‘Yes,’ Father O’ Rourke answered her. ‘Yes, you ignorant, badly-brought-up female. You have borne false witness against your neighbor. You played fast and loose with his reputation, and you should be heartily ashamed.’ So, the woman said she was sorry, and asked for forgiveness. ‘Not so fast,’ says O’ Rourke. ‘I want you to go home, take a pillow upon your roof, cut it open with a knife, and return here to me.’ So, the woman went home: took a pillow off her bed, a knife from the drawer, went up the fire escape to her roof, and stabbed the pillow. Then she went back to the old parish priest as instructed. ‘Did you gut the pillow with a knife?’ he says. ‘Yes, Father.’ ‘And what were the results?’ ‘Feathers,’ she said. ‘Feathers?’ he repeated. ‘Feathers; everywhere, Father.’ ‘Now I want you to go back and gather up every last feather that flew out onto the wind,’ ‘Well,’ she said, ‘it can’t be done. I don’t know where they went. The wind took them all over.’ ‘And that,’ said Father O’ Rourke, ‘is gossip!’

Father Flynn [to Sister James]: It’s me that cares about that child, not her. Has she ever reached out a hand? That black boy needs help or he’s not gonna make it. If she has her way, he’ll be left to his own undoing. Why do you think he drank the wine? He’s in trouble. And she sees me talk in a human way to these kids and she immediately assumes that there must be something wrong with it. Well, I’m not gonna let her keep this parish in the Dark Ages, and I’m not gonna let her destroy my spirit of compassion…There are people who go after your humanity, Sister, that tell you that the light in your heart is a weakness. Don’t believe it. It’s an old tactic of cruel people to kill kindness in the name of virtue.

Mrs. Miller: That’s why his father beat him. Not the wine.
Sister Aloysius: What are you telling me?
Mrs. Miller: I’m talking about the boy’s nature now, not anything he’s done. You can’t hold a child responsible for what God gave him to be.
Sister Aloysius: I’m only interested in actions, Mrs. Miller.
Mrs.Miller: But then there’s the boy’s nature.
Sister Aloysius: Leave that out of it.
Mrs. Miller: Well, forget it then. You’re the one forcing people to say things. My boy came to your school 'cause they were gonna kill him in the public school. His father don’t like him. He come to your school, kids don’t like him. One man is good to him, this priest. Then does a man have his reasons, yes. Everybody does. You have your reasons, but do I ask the man why he’s good to my son? No. I don’t care why. My son needs some man to care about him and to see him through to where he wants to go. And thank God this educated man with some kindness in him wants to do just that.
Sister Aloysius: This will not do.
Mrs.Miller: It’s just till June.
Sister Aloysius: I’ll throw your son out of this school.
Mrs. Miller: And why would you do that if it didn’t start with him?
Sister Aloysius: Because I will stop this.
Mrs. Miller: You’d hurt my son to get your way?
Sister Aloysius: It won’t end with your son.
Mrs. Miller: Throw the priest out then. Please leave my son out of this. My husband will kill that child over a thing like this.[/b]

Why do these things have to be so complicated? Why can’t everything be reduced down simply to Right and Wrong?

[b]Father Flynn: You haven’t the slightest proof of anything!
Sister Aloysius: But I have my certainty! And armed with that, I will go to your last parish, and the one before that if necessary. I’ll find a parent. Trust me, Father Flynn, I will.
Father Flynn: You have no right to act on your own! You have taken vows, obedience being one! You answer to us! You have no right to step outside the church!
Sister Aloysius: I will step outside the church if that’s what needs to be done, though the door should shut behind me! I will do what needs to be done, though I’m damned to hell! You should understand that, or you will mistake me.

Sister Aloysius: If you will not leave my office, I will. And once I go, I will not stop.
Father Glynn: Wait…
[long pause]
Father Flynn: I can’t say everything, you understand? There’s things I can’t say, even if you can’t imagine the explanation, Sister. Remember, there are things beyond your knowledge. Even if you feel certainty, it is an emotion, not a fact.

Sister Aloysius: You are a cheat. And that warm feeling you experienced when that boy looked at you with trust was not the sensation of virtue. That could be got by any drunkard with his tot of rum.
Father Flynn: I can fight you.
Sister Aloysius: You will lose.
Father Flynn: Where is your compassion?
Sister Aloysius: Nowhere you can get at it.

Sister Aloysius [to Father Flynn]: I have no sympathy for you. I know you are invulnerable to true regret.
[long pause]
Sister Aloysius: And cut your nails.

Father Flynn [his final sermon]: I never like to say goodbye, but there is a wind behind every one of us that takes us through our lives. We never see it. We can’t command it. We don’t even know its purpose. 'Cause I would have stayed among you longer, but that wind is taking me away.

Sister James: Did you ever prove it?
Sister Aloysius: To whom?
Sister James: Anyone but yourself?
Sister Aloysius: Nope.

Sister Aloysius: They made Father Flynn pastor of Saint Jerome.
Sister James: Who?
Sister Aloysius: The bishop. Appointed Father Flynn pastor of Saint Jerome Church and School. It’s a promotion.
Sister James: You didn’t tell them?
Sister Aloysius: Oh, I told our good monsignor. I crossed the garden, and I told him. He did not believe it to be true.
Sister James: Then why did Father Flynn go? What did you say to make him leave?
Sister Aloysius: That I had called a nun in his previous parish, that I had found out his prior history of infringements.
Sister James: So you did prove it?
Sister Aloysius: I made no such call.
Sister James: You lied?
Sister Aloysius: Yes. But if he’d had no such history, the lie wouldn’t have worked. His resignation was his confession.

Sister James: I can’t believe you lied.
Sister Aloysius: In the pursuit of wrongdoing, one steps away from God. Of course, there is a price.
Sister James: I see.
Sister Aloysius: Oh, Sister James.
Sister James: What is it Sister?
Sister Aloysius: [she begins to weep, then cry]: I have doubts. I have such doubts.[/b]

Think Fresh without the dope. In other words, a resourceful, street-wise kid [of color] living off his wits. Maybe the streets are a little less mean here but that’s always just a matter of perspective. When you’re living on them for instance.

It’s like you are watching a documentary. And when it’s over you think this isn’t the way things ought to be. Then [being more or less cynical] you think, this is the way it will always be. And the folks who are being ripped off by the chop shops never even make it onto the screen. They are sort of just out there invisible.

This is the way the folks who run the legit companies want the immigration problem “solved”. Let the poor bastards line up on the street somewhere so that, when you need them to work for peanuts, you can nab them. Then after the work is done they’re gone, out of sight, forgotten.

But this kid is, uh, lucky. The boss has him living right on the premises. The premises being a business smack dab in the middle of the Iron Triangle. The one in Queens, New York. But if you didn’t already know that, you’d think it was some slum in Mexico City, or Rio.

As with Fresh, Ale has a sister he helps to look out for. And the sister soon finds the most lucrative way to earn a living “in her situation” is the sex route. And, as with Fresh, he is saving up money [even hides it in the same sort of secret stash] for the future. Only the future can cost more than one bargains for. Especially for this kid. In some ways he is precocious far beyond his 12 years. But in other ways he is in way, way over his head. He’s just one more sucker to be taken.

Did the kid get what he deserved? Was he being exploited? Compared to what?

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_Shop_(film
trailer: youtu.be/5fUjusA87QI

CHOP SHOP [2007]
Written in part and directed by Ramin Bahrani

Somewhere in the middle of all this is Johnson and McNamara…the best and the brightest…the MIC…Wall Street. And the soldiers who fought there. And I was one of them. But it all quickly becomes simply overwhelming. You try to capture it in a narrative and you just become all tangled up in hundreds of them. The individual here is just a speck. All you can do is either know [and accept] it or not.

Almost everyone agrees this is an “anti-war” film. But really only in the most abstract [or, paradoxically, most visceral] sense. In fact, it could be argued it is basically neutral regarding our involvement in Vietnam. Instead, the focus [through Kurtz] is on the manner in which the war was fought. If we had fought it his way, we would have won.

All of these terrible things happen but there is no effort made to delve into why we were over there in the first place. It just seems to be the way folks [men, in particular] are. They clamor towards the heart of darkness and it’s almost pointless to try to explain it much beyond that. And maybe this narrative really is more applicable than my own. I have no illusions whatsoever regarding things like this. We piece them together into conflicting fabrications…and then we trade “the facts” back and forth until one of many conflicting consensuses are arrived at. Always here, always now.

I often complain about folks who reduce everything down to logos, forgetting the pieces that emanate from all the other parts of the brain…in particular the emotional and psychological elements. But here it is just the opposite. The narrative seems awash in subjunctive references…with hardly any attention given at all to the reasons people give for going to war. And how that is related to such things as subsistence and the distribution of wealth and power. They hint at these things in the French sequence [from Redux] but that was shelved from the orginal release. Their honest reactions to Communism and politics for example. Here it is the psychological tug of war between Kurtz and Willard. Kurtz actually being well on the way to insanity.

Watch this [especially the Kilgore sequences] and then revisit Obama, Biden and Kerry Inc. remonstrating against the Assad regime in Syria. Like Rumsfeld, Cheney and Bush remonstrating against Saddam Hussein. The sheer fucking hypocrisy of it all!!

IMDb

[b]Francis Ford Coppola believed that Marlon Brando was familiar with Joseph Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness” and had prepared for the role before the legendary actor arrived on the set. When Brando did come out, Coppola was horrified to find that Brando had never read “Heart of Darkness”, did not know his lines, and had become extremely fat (Kurtz had always been written as a tall but starvingly-thin man). After some panicking, Coppola decided to film the 5’10" Brando as if he was a massively built, 6’5" brute (to explain Brando’s size) and steered the camera clear of Brando’s huge belly.

The scene at the beginning with Captain Willard alone in his hotel room was completely unscripted. Martin Sheen told the shooting crew to just let the cameras roll. Sheen was actually drunk in the scene and punched the mirror which was real glass. Sheen also began sobbing and tried to attack Francis Ford Coppola. The crew was so disturbed by his actions that they wanted to stop shooting, but Coppola wanted to keep the cameras going.

Francis Ford Coppola lost 100 pounds while filming and threatened suicide several times during the making of the film.

Martin Sheen had a heart attack during the filming and some shots of Willard’s back are of doubles, including Sheen’s brother Joe Estevez who was flown out specially.

The total length of film printed for the movie was approximately 1,250,000 feet. That number roughly translates to a total of around 230 hours worth of footage.

The character of Colonel Kurtz is inspired by the story of the traitor Lope de Aguirre, sixteenth-century Spanish soldier.[/b]

Remember him? The wrath of God?

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Now

APOCALYPSE NOW [1979]
[Redux edition]
Written in part and directed by Francis Ford Coppola

[b]Willard [voiceover]: Saigon… shit; I’m still only in Saigon… Every time I think I’m gonna wake up back in the jungle. When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I’d wake up and there’d be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said “yes” to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle. I’m here a week now…waiting for a mission…getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter.

Willard [voiceover]: Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission. And for my sins, they gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service.

Colonel Lucas: Your report specifies intelligence/counterintelligence with ComSec I-Corps.
Willard: I’m not presently disposed to discuss these operations, sir.
Colonel Lucas: Did you not work for the CIA in I-Corps?
Willard: No, sir.
Colonel Lucas: Did you not assassinate a government tax collector in Quang Tri province, June 19th, 1968? Captain?
Willard: Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation…nor would I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in fact exist, sir.[/b]

A company man, in other words.

[b]General Corman [to Willard]: Walter Kurtz was one of the most outstanding officers this country’s ever produced. He was brilliant. He was outstanding in every way. And he was a good man, too. A humanitarian man. A man of wit and humor. He joined the Special Forces, and after that, his ideas, methods, became…unsound. Unsound.

General Corman: Well, you see, Willard, in this war, things get confused out there. Power, ideals, the old morality, and practical military necessity. But out there with these natives, it must be a temptation to be God. Because there’s a conflict in every human heart, between the rational and irration, between good and evil. And good does not always triumph. Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature. Every man has got a breaking point. You have and I have them. Walter Kurtz has reached his. And, very obviously, he has gone insane.

Willard: Terminate the Colonel?
General Corman: He’s out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field commanding troops.
Civilian: Terminate with extreme prejudice.
Colonel Lucas: You understand, Captain, that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist…

Willard [voiceover]: How many people had I already killed? There were those six that I knew about for sure. Close enough to blow their last breath in my face. But this time, it was an American and an officer. That wasn’t supposed to make any difference to me, but it did. Shit… charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets in the Indy 500. I took the mission. What the hell else was I gonna do? But I really didn’t know what I’d do when I found him.

Willard [voiceover]: The machinist, the one they called Chef, was from New Orleans. He was wrapped too tight for Vietnam; probably wrapped too tight for New Orleans. Lance, on the forward .50s, was a famous surfer from the beaches south of LA. One look at him and you wouldn’t believe he ever fired a weapon in his whole life. Clean… Mr. Clean… was from some South Bronx shithole and the light and space of Vietnam really put the zap on his head. Then there was Phillips, the Chief. It might have been my mission, but it sure as shit was the Chief’s boat.

Willard [voiceover]: At first, I thought they handed me the wrong dossier. I couldn’t believe they wanted this man dead. Third-generation West Point, top of his class…Korea, Airborne, about a thousand decorations, etc., etc. I’d head his voice on the tape and it really put the hook in me, but I couldn’t connect up that voice with this man. Like they said, he had an impressive career. Maybe too impressive. I mean, perfect. He was being groomed for one of the top slots in the corporation.

Lance: Hey, Captain, what’s that?
Willard Death cards.
Lance: What?
Willard: Death cards. Lets Charlie know who did this.

Kilgore: Charlie don’t surf!

Chef [in a helicopter]: Why do all you guys sit on your helmets?
Soldier: So we don’t get our balls blown off.

Kilgore [to soldier]: You can either surf, or you can fight!

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
[he kneels on the beach]
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn’t find one of ‘em, not one stinkin’ dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like…
[sniffing, pondering]
Kilgore: …victory. Someday this war’s gonna end…

Willard [voiceover]: If that’s how Kilgore fought the war, I began to wonder what they really had against Kurtz. It wasn’t just insanity and murder; there was enough of that to go around for everyone.

Chef: A tiger! A fuckin’ tiger!..Never get out of the boat! Never get out of the boat! I got to remember, never get out of the boat!!!
[he tears off his shirt…then his pants]
Chef: I’m done with this goddamn fucking shit! You can kiss my ass on the county square, because I’m fucking bugging out! I don’t fucking need it! I didn’t get on the goddamn eight grade for this kind of shit! All I wanted to do is fucking cook! I just wanted to learn to fucking cook, man!

Willard [voiceover]: “Never get out of the boat.” Absolutely goddamn right! Unless you were goin’ all the way… Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole fuckin’ program. How did that happen?

Willard [voiceover]: Kurtz could’ve gone for general, but he went for himself instead.

Willard ]voiceover]: Oh man…the bullshit piled up so fast in Vietnam, you needed wings to stay above it.

Clean: This sure enough is a bizarre sight in the middle of all this shit.

Willard [voiceover]: Charlie didn’t get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home: death, or victory.

Willard [voiceover]: No wonder Kurtz put a weed up Command’s ass. The war was being run by a bunch of four star clowns who were gonna end up giving the whole circus away.

Lieutenant Colby: [in his last letter to his wife, as read by Willard]: “Sell the house. Sell the car. Sell the kids. Find someone else. Forget it. I’m never coming back. Forget it.”

Willard [incredulous]: What are you talking about?
Chief Phillips: We’re taking her to some friendlies, Captain. She’s wounded, she’s not dead.
Willard: Get off there, Chef.
[Willard shoots the injured girl dead]
Chef: Fuck it!
Willard [to Chief]: I told you not to stop. Now let’s go!

Willard [after the boat crew kills everyone on the sampan…and he shoots the lone wounded survivor…a young girl…dead]: It’s a way we had over here for living with ourselves. We cut 'em in half with a machine gun and give 'em a Band-Aid. It was a lie. And the more I saw them, the more I hated lies.[/b]

But he’s perfectly okay with cold-blooded mureder.

[b]Willard: Hey soldier, do you know who’s in command here?
Soldier: Ain’t you?

Willard [voiceover]: He was close, real close. I couldn’t see him yet, but I could feel him, as if the boat were being sucked upriver and the water was flowing back into the jungle. Whatever was going to happen, it wasn’t gonna be the way they call it back in Nha Trang.

Willard: My mission is to make it up to Cambodia. There’s a Green Beret colonel up there who’s gone insane, and I’m supposed to kill him.
Chef: That’s fucking typical! Shit! Fucking Vietnam mission! I’m short and we gotta go up there so you can kill one of our own guys? That’s fucking great! That’s just fucking great, man! Shit! That’s fucking crazy! I thought you were going to blow up a bridge, or some fucking railroad tracks, or something!

Willard: Could we, uh… talk to Colonel Kurtz?
Photojournalist: Hey, man, you don’t talk to the Colonel. You listen to him. The man’s enlarged my mind. He’s a poet warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he’ll… uh… well, you’ll say “hello” to him, right? And he’ll just walk right by you. He won’t even notice you. And suddenly he’ll grab you, and he’ll throw you in a corner, and he’ll say, “Do you know that ‘if’ is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you”… I mean I’m… no, I can’t… I’m a little man, I’m a little man, he’s…he’s a great man! I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas…

Photojournalist [to Willard]: The heads. You’re looking at the severed heads. Sometimes he goes too far. He’s the first one to admit it.

Chef: This colonel guy, he’s wacko, man. He’s worse than crazy, he’s evil! That’s what the man’s got set up here, man! It’s fucking pagan idolatry! Look around you! Shit, he’s loco…I ain’t afraid of all them fucking skulls and altars and shit! I used to think that if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn’t make it to heaven. But now…fuck. I don’t care where it goes, as long as it ain’t here.

Kurtz: Did they say why, Willard, why they want to terminate my command?
Willard: I was sent on a classified mission, sir.
Kurtz: It’s no longer classified, is it? Did they tell you?
Willard: They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don’t see any method at all, sir.
Kurtz: I expected someone like you. What did you expect? Are you an assassin?
Willard: I’m a soldier.
Kurtz: You’re neither. You’re an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

Photojournalist [to Willard]: The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad. Oh, yeah. He’s dying, I think. He hates all this. He hates it! But the man’s a…He reads poetry out loud, all right? And a voice…he likes you 'cause you’re still alive. He’s got plans for you. No, I’m not gonna help you. You’re gonna help him, man. You’re gonna help him. I mean, what are they gonna sat when he’s gone? 'Cause he dies when it dies, when it dies, he dies! What are they gonna say about him? He was a kind man? He was a wise man? He has plans? He has wisdom? Bullshit, man! Am I gonna be the one that’s gonna set them straight? Look at me! Wrong! You!

Kurtz [reading a poem aloud]: “We are the hollow men and the stuffed men together filled with straw. Alas dried voices, when whisper together quiet and meaningless wind in dried rats’ feet over broken glass our dry cellar.”

Photojournalist: This is dialectics. It’s very simple dialectics. One through nine, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions. You can’t travel in space, you can’t go out into space, you know, without, like, you know, uh, with fractions - what are you going to land on - one-quarter, three-eighths? What are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something? That’s dialectic physics, okay? Dialectic logic is, there’s only love and hate. You either love somebody, or you hate them.
[Kurtz throws his book of poetry at him]
Photojournalist: This is the way the fucking world ends! Look at this fucking shit we’re in, man! Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I’m fucking splitting, Jack.

Willard [voiceover]: On the river, I thought that the minute I looked at him, I’d know what to do. But it didn’t happen. I was in there with him for days. Not under guard. I was free. But he knew I wasn’t going anywhere. He knew more about what I was going to do at I did. If the generals back in Nah Trang could see what I saw, would they still want me to kill him? More than ever, probably. And what would his people back home want, if they ever learned just how far from them he’d really gone. He broke from them, and then he broke from himself. I’d never seen a man so broken up and ripped apart.

Kurtz [to Willard]: I’ve seen horrors…horrors that you’ve seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that…but you have no right to judge me. It’s impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror…Horror has a face…and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with Special Forces… seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate some children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn’t see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember… I… I… I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn’t know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it…I never want to forget. And then I realized…like I was shot…like I was shot with a diamond…a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God…the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men…trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love…but they had the strength…the strength… to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, then our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral… and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling…without passion…without judgment…without judgment! Because it’s judgment that defeats us.

Willard [voiceover listening to the ship radio request bomb coordinates]: They were gonna make me a Major for this, and I wasn’t even in their fuckin’ army anymore. Everybody wanted me to do it. Him most of all. I felt like he was up there, waiting for me to take his pain away. He just wanted to go out like a soldier. Even the jungle wanted him dead. And that’s who he really who he took his orders from, anyway.

Kurtz [making a recording just before Willard kills him]: “We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won’t allow them to write “fuck” on their airplanes because it’s obscene!”

Kurtz: The horror… the horror…[/b]

This is a true story. It is the sort of thing that shows up all the time on programs like 48 Hours and Dateline and Discovery ID. Homicide documentaries, in other words. But few of those take us inside the events like this docu-drama does. Though some insist it is more in the way of a “black comedy”.

Bernie was one of two Ubermen in Carthage, Texas. There was practically nothing he couldn’t do. He was loved by everyone. The heart and the soul of the community. And other than Saint Augustine, towns don’t get smaller than this. The minds in them, for example. And God? Everywhere. Simply everywhere.

The other Uberman was Danny Buck. If you were a drug dealer and your number came up on his Wheel of Misfortune, it was all she wrote. Same with deadbeat dads. And, of course, murderers. But who’d of thunk that could ever be Bernie! After all, he was God’s gift to…everybody.

Indeed, after he knocked the old witch off he started donating large sums of money all over town. Stuff that made it a much better place to live. And nobody – and I mean nobody, not even her family – missed her. Though, admittedly, he did spend a bit of it on himself. He bought nine cars for example. But most of it [by far] he gave away to others.

Oh, and you learn a few things here about being an undertaker too. Fascinating stuff. Like how they keep the eyes shut tight with…super glue. Same with the mouth.

IMDb

[b]Real residents of Carthage, Texas who knew the real Bernie Tiede and Marjorie Nugent appear throughout the film providing commentary on the events.

The film is based on a 1998 article in Texas Monthly which was written by Skip Hollandsworth. This one: texasmonthly.com/story/midni … east-texas[/b]

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_(2011_film
trailer: youtu.be/YJuhWKcY_6U

BERNIE [2011]
Written and directed by Richard Linklater

[b]Bernie [cosmetizing the corpse] Even though the features have been set during the embalming, you have you reassess and readjust because of continuing emaciation and dehydration. Perfect expression of the mouth would be relaxed, natural, with a little bit of a smile. Can’r have him looking unhappy to be there. And we must always be on guard for the mischievous lip drift. Even the slightest hint of teeth can be disastrous. You cannot have grief tragically becoming a comedy.

Townsperson: He just made everybody look so beautiful. Except too bad you were dead.

Funeral Director: Oh, you name the song and he’d sing it. If country folks came in requesting an old gospel, he’d sing it. Or trailer trash came in requesting Loretta Lynn, he’d sing that too. But as great as Bernie was at performing a service, he was even better at sales.

Townsperson [on Mrs. Nugent]: She was just a mean old hateful bitch. There was just no other way to put it.

Townsperson [on Mrs. Nugent]: She wasn’t friendly. She–she really wasn’t, and she probably–there are people in town, honey, that woulda shot for five dollars, you know?

Townsperson [on Mrs. Nugent]: She would chew your ass at the drop of a hat. I mean, she’d rip you a brand new three bedroom two bath double wide asshole. No problem.

Townsperson [at Bible study]: Well, I know the Bible says Jesus turned water into wine, but it didn’t say liquor store wine. It had to have been non-alcoholic wine, because it didn’t have time to ferment.
Townsperson [at Bible study]: Well, if Jesus could walk on the water, He could make any kind of wine He wanted to, fermented or not. Right on the spot.

Townsperson: In a small town, people will always suspect the worst of someone. But they’ll also suspect the best.[/b]

Was Bernie [gasp] gay?!

[b]Danny Buck: He had a tendency to hold on to another man’s hands, touched too long after shaking it…and he had a subscription to men’s fitness magazines. Now if you’ve ever seen Bernie Tiede, you know darn well it wasn’t for the workout tips…and the kicker is he always wore sandals.

Townsperson: Nah. Our Lord and Savior always wore sandals and he never married. And He had 12 disciples and I don’t think any of them ever married. And the apostle Paul, he was a lifelong bachelor. And you never heard anybody in the New Testament say that they was a bunch of queers. Pfft. No.

Townsperson: Well, Bernie was so nice, so accommodating, so willing to keep from hurting other people’s feelings, he just couldn’t tell anybody to piss off.

Funeral director: Basically, it was like Bernie became her property. He was her sole source of entertainment, had to do everything for her. I truly believe the guy felt he was smothered, choked, unable to get his wind. I don’t know how the guy stood it.[/b]

Truly. I would have done her in weeks before. Well, hypothetically.

[b]Townsperson: Well, it was easy for her to disappear. Nobody was looking for her.

Townsperson [to Danny Buck]: It’s not as bad as people say it is. He only shot her four times, not five.[/b]

To the town, he was more like a hero for killing her.

[b]Danny Buck: Reverend, you are basically supporting a criminal act. You know, all I’m hearing is poor Bernie. Nobody’s talking about poor Marjorie. Hell, everyone seems to be forgetting that there’s a lady, a member of your congregation, shot in the back four times and put in the freezer.
Reverend: Danny, the Bernie you’re talking about is not the Bernie the church knows.
Danny Buck: The heck it isn’t. It sounds like the only Bernie you’re choosing to remember is the one that donated $100,000 to your church.

Lawyer: Well, trials are generally moved when the judge determines that the defendant can’t get a fair trial locally. But in all the years I’ve been doing this for a living, I have never heard of the state seeking a change of venue because the defendant was so well liked that they couldn’t get a conviction. So when I heard that the judge had actually agareed to move the trial, giving in to Danny Buck’s harebrained request, my first thought was, “Oh, shit,our donkey’s in a ditch.”

Townsperson: I knew Bernie was in trouble when I saw the jury. And Bernie was just going to have to get on the stand and explain himself to a bunch of Saint Augustine cousin-countin’ rednecks over there. I mean, they got more tattoos than teeth and there ain’t a brain in the whole dozen of 'em. And they’re supposed to decide big things like this? I mean, shoot, I wouldn’t let them work on my car.

Danny Buck: Ladies and gentlemen, after listening to all the evidence, I’m sure that you will agree that the defendant is a liar, a coward, and a backshooter. Now, come on. That’s got to be about the lowest thing a man could ever do, ain’t it? Shoot a little old lady in the back? Four times. There is no doubt in my mind that Bernie Tiede is a calculating, evil actor. He fooled a whole town for nine months. Now if he can do that, there ain’t no telling what he’ll do if you let him back on the streets. That poor woman stayed frozen stiff for nine whole months. In a freezer. It took two days to thaw her out. Just so they could perform a proper autopsy.

Scrappy Holmes: Your honor, counsel, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, all Danny Buck Davidson wants to do in this trial is get you to believe that Bernie is some kind of monster. That he is something other than a fellow human being. Look at him, ladies and gentlemen. There is not one hint of premeditation in this case. If there was, he’d have done it a lot differently. He mighta gotten away with it. Did he try to poison her slowly? No. Did he burn down the house? Say it was an accidental fire? No. He still knew he’d done wrong. He knew he was gonna get found out. He just did not have the courage to tell on himself. But like a good funeral director, he preserved the body so that she could have a proper burial. And in the meantime he did a lot of good for a lot of people. Till he finally got caught. He just doesn’t sound like any kind of monster I’ve ever heard of. [/b]

All part of the business. And in order to sustain the business all is permitted. Depending of course on where you fit into the hierarchy. And even this business has rules. If, for example, you are inclined to break them. If, for example, you have the balls to break them. Even if you don’t have balls at all.

But never in a million years would you suspect Violet of being the one to break them. Corky sure. But then when you put the two together…what a team. And a love story to boot. Maybe not one of epic stature but it sure held my interest. And what sparks it in part is the tension arising from all the parts that don’t fit. Trust has to be earned here to say the least.

But not Ceasar’s. Ceaser here is like the character he played in Risky Business. Only much more dangerous. This is the part of the business that scares the shit out of most folks. It is completely amoral. If you get between what these guys want you get eliminated. With the minimum of pain if you’re lucky. And maybe the criminal justice system will avenge you. But I wouldn’t count on it.

The plot is a bit fantastic. But you get sucked into it anyway. You want these grotesque bastards to be taken. You want them to turn on each other. You want the least bad guys to prevail. Especially these two.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bound_(film
trailer: youtu.be/gzAtuprN3tg

BOUND [1996]
Written and directed by Andy Wachowski, Larry/Lana Wachowski

[b]Violet: I’m in awe of people who can fix things. My dad was like that. We never had anything new. Whenever something broke he would open it up, tinker with it and it would work. His hands were magic … I bet your car is twenty years old.
Corky: Truck.
Violet: Truck. Of course.
Corky: '63 Chevy.
Violet: I knew it.

Violet: That’s a great tattoo. Beautiful labrys. Are you surprised that I know what it is?
Corky: Maybe.
Violet: I have a tattoo, would you like to see it?

Corky: What are you doing?
Violet: Isn’t it obvious? I’m trying to seduce you.
Corky: Why?
Violet: Because I want to. I’ve wanted to since I first saw you in the elevator. You don’t believe me. But I can prove it to you.
[she puts Corky’s hand between her legs]
Violet: You can’t believe me because of what you see…But you can believe what you feel. You see … I’ve been thinking about you all day.
Corky: You planned this whole thing. You dropped that earring down the sink on purpose, didn’t you?
Violet: If I say yes, will you take your hand away?
Corky: No.
Violet: Yes.

Violet [to Corky]: I’m not apologizing for what I did. I’m apologizing for what I didn’t do. Do you have a bed somewhere?

Corky: So, Ceasar’s Mafia, huh?
Violet: You have to ask? Funny. Nobody really calls it that anymore. They call it “the Business.”

Violet [to Corky who heard her and Shelly through the thin walls]: That wasn’t sex. That was work. You made certain choices in your life that you paid for. You said you made them because you were good at something and it was easy. Do you think you’re the only one that’s good at something? We make our own choices and we pay our own prices. I think we’re more alike than you want to admit.

Violet: Fuck it! I think you better leave.
Corky: I think so, too.
Violet: Try not to steal anything on the way out.

Mickey [holding a pair of pruning shears]: Shelly, I’m gonna ask you 10 times. You understand? 10 times.
[he puts Shelly’s thumb in the shears]
Micky: One. Where’s our money?

Corky: Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Do you have any idea what you are saying? You are asking me to help you fuck the mob.
[Violet nods]
Corky: These people are serious, Violet. If you want to know how serious, ask Shelly. They’re worse than any cop because they have lots of money and no rules.

Corky [to Violet]: You have no idea what you’re asking. How much trust two people need to do something like this. For me, stealing is a lot like sex. Two people that want the same thing sit in a room and they talk, they start to plan and it’s like flirting, a kind of foreplay, because the more they talk about it, the wetter they get. The difference is, I can have sex with someone I just met, someone I hardly know, but to steal I need to know someone like I know myself.

Violet: All night long I listened to that sound.
Corky: What sound?
Violet: The sound of money.

Caesar [to one dead Johnnie]: I’m a dead man, Johnnie? I’m a fucking dead man? Guess again, Johnnie. Who’s the dead man? Who? Who’s dead, fuckface? Who? Who? I can’t hear you, Johnnie. Guess again. Take another guess, Johnnie. Take another fucking guess!!

Caesar [to Violet]: Now, if you’re thinking about doing something stupid, remember I just killed Gino Marzzone. You understand what that means?

Corky [aloud to herself]: Two million dollars, Corky.

[Caesar is aiming his gun at Corky, who is tied up]
Caesar: Wake up, wake up. Wake up you fucking dyke. God. I should have seen this coming the minute I met you. Everybody knows your kind can’t be trusted. Fucking queers make me sick. But you made a fatal mistake. You tried fucking the wrong guy. And I swear to you that I’m going to kill you for it. Where’s my money?
Violet: Don’t tell him.
Caesar: Shut up, Violet!
Violet: He can’t kill you.
Caesar: Violet!
Violet: Not until he has the money.
[He fires the gun at the wall behind Violet to scare and silence her]
Caesar: Now. Where is it?
Corky: Lick me.
Caesar [jabbing her with the gun]: Where…Is…My…Money?
Corky: Either pull the trigger or get that fucking thing out of my face.

Caesar: Okay, you want business, I’ll give you the fucking business. I’ll give you all of it. I’m going to make you suffer, Violet. just like Shelly did. Just like Shelly!

Caesar [holding out the pruning shears]: Hey, Violet, remember these?
[he puts a gag in Violet’s mouth and looks down at Corky]
Caesar: Allright, I’m going to start with Violet…so you get an idea of what’s coming. I’m going to ask you ten questions. Everytime I don’t get an answer I cut off a finger. Where’s the money?

Corky: You can’t kill me.
Caesar: Oh really? Why not?
Corky: I could be lying.

Mickey: Cease, can I ask you something?
Caesar: Yeah, sure.
Mickey: Why’d you move all the furniture around?

Caesar: You don’t wanna shoot me, Vi. Do ya. Do ya? I know you don’t.
Violet [pulling the trigger]: Caesar, you don’t know shit.

Corky: You know what the difference is between you and me, Violet?
Violet: No.
Corky: Me neither.[/b]

I like those rare films that are totally unappreciated because a majority of people are so dim witted to understand the messages.

So many good films are wasted on a majority of the ignorant that can’t or are unable to appreciate great works fully.

The plot of this movie is derived from a bedtime story written by a ten year old kid. And it’s really more about the science of dreams than sleep. Though you might be wondering how much science a ten your old kid can pack into a bedtime story.

Take this one with a few grains of salt. Much like dreams themselves. On the other hand, they are derived from the lives we live. And only a fool wouldn’t take those with a grain of salt. A whole box of it, in fact. For some, a barrel or two.

Let’s face it. Our waking lives can sometimes be excruciatingly boring and routine. Especially those of us who work at jobs that have been rationalized down to either/or. How many of the same dots can you connect over and over and over again before you are crawling the walls. So you better be prepared to live as much as you possibly can in a dreamworld. Or pile up lots of distractions. Sex, for example. Only steeped in the vernacular of the hopeless romantics like…Stephane. They call it Love instead.

And tonight [and tonight only] you will dream of cardboard. Or dream in cardboard. If not that, than cloth.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours.” No, it was Bob Dylan not Abraham Lincoln who said that.

IMDb

Sam Nessim gave Michel Gondry the idea for the film when Gondry asked the then 10-year-old Mounier to come up with a bed time story. Literally the next day, Gondry began writing the script.

I believe it.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Science_of_Sleep
trailer: youtu.be/4kRfT5s05Ek

THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP [La Science des Rêves] 2006
Written and directed by Michel Gondry

[b]Guy: Fuck! An artist, he won’t last.

Stephane [on designing a calendar depicting disasters]: It’s called disasterology. It’s for the customer that needs a little bit of a sense of humor.
The Boss: My customers don’t need a sense of humor. They want puppies, trucks, flowers or nudes. That’s all.

Stephane: P. S. R. Parallel Synchronized Randomness. An interesting brain rarity and our subject for today. Two people walk in opposite directions at the same time and then they make the same decision at the same time. Then they correct it, and then they correct it, and then they correct it, and then they correct it, and then they correct it. Basically, in a mathematical world these two little guys will stay looped for the end of time. The brain is the most complex thing in the universe and it’s right behind the nose.

Stephane [shows the 3-D glasses he invented]: You can see real life in 3-D.
Stéphanie: Isn’t real life already in 3-D?
Stephane: Yeah but, come on.

Guy: Do you think Martine is pretty?
Stephane: Martine from work ?
Guy: No, Martin Scorsese.

Guy: Imagine if Martine comes and gives you a blowjob in the darkroom. I can arrange it.
Stephane. So getting laid is all that matters? It doesn’t matter who the person is?
Guy: You see, I’m not a crreative person like you. I don’t feel the need to leave a trace of me behind.

Stéphanie: I have big hands.
Stephane: That means you have a big penis.

Guy: Do you know “goat on the hill”? It is a sex position:
Stephane: I know it’s hard for you to understand but not every man is a sex maniac, you know.
Guy: Oh yeah? Like every woman is a romantic?

Stéphanie: Randomness is very difficult to achieve. Organization always merges back if you don’t pay attention.
Stephane: Death to organization!

The Boss: Six months ago a stranger came to see me with a terrible accent and a dumb project. The world and myself weren’t ready for it. But we’ve leaped into absurdity. And I regret to say our new calender, “Diasterology” by Mr. Stephane Miroux, is a huge success!

Stephane: This girl is at once all the women that broke my heart. She is so beautiful and generous, and she’s asking me to leave…because she is dumping me. She’s dumping me because I am a cheap drug dealer, and I am a drug dealer because she wants to leave me. [/b]

Here he may as well be dreaming.

[b]Stephane [to Guy]: I love Stephanie because she creates things with her hands. It’s as if the synapses in her brain were married directly to her fingers.

Guy [after throwing his TV set into the canal]: It floats!
Stephane: Yeah, it floats.
Guy: Now maybe the fish can enjoy all that crap.

Serge: It’s one thing to be called fags, but to be called dykes is unacceptable.

Stéphanie [to Stéphane]: You have a serious problem of distorting reality. You could sleep with the entire planet and still feel rejected.

Stephane: I like your boobs. They’re very friendly and unpretentious. Maybe someday you can show them to me.
Stephanie: There’s not much to see.

Stephanie: Why me?
Stephane: Because you are different. Because everyone else is boring.[/b]

Many years ago I walked away from my family and I never looked back. Then a couple of years back there’s a knock on my door and something was pushed through the mail slot. Turned out it was a letter [with some photographs] from my brother. He wanted to reestablish some sort of contact between myself and the family. But being even farther off the beaten path now, I imagined the distance between us was all the more problematic. So I never responded. But it’s not like I don’t wonder from time to time what might have happened had I done so. And somehow they did track me down. So anything might happen down the road I suppose. But not from my end.

Two brothers here as well. Or so it seems. And the gaps between them widening all the more over the years. Only the contact is made. A week later and he’s off again. But then events conspire against them. Or so it seems.

People mght abandon the present because they wish to rise above it. But then years later the estrangment can revolve more around their embarrassment at having failed to.

And there is this whole thing about birth families. Why should it be assumed that we are obligated to them in some inherent fashion when we did not even choose to become part of their lives? It is just through the accident of birth. At least later in life we can choose our friends, our lovers, our spouses. We can choose to have children. Or choose not to. But with brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins – even with mothers and fathers – it is all largely fortuitous. We are “thrown” in with them at birth. We chose none of it. And the implications of that needs to be acknowledged…and respected.

In a world where each individual becomes smaller and smaller fame and celebrity can loom larger and larger. But the past can loom larger still.

IMDb

Francis Ford Coppola’s take on the autobiographical elements of his film: “nothing in it happened, but all of it is true”. He claimed that this is the kind of film he set out to make as a young man, before he was sidetracked by fame and fortune.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetro
trailer: youtu.be/XJ_XTIsMKig

TETRO [2009]
Written and directed by Francis Ford Coppola

[b]Miranda [to Bennie]: He really doesn’t want to know his family anymore.

Bennie: You called her your friend. Why not your brother?
Tetro: People around here don’t know very much about me. Miranda doesn’t even know who our father is. I’d like to keep it that way.

Bennie: It’s going to be hard for us to have a conversation if I can’t ask questions.
Tetro: Who wants a conversation? Not me.

Bennie [referring to Tetro’s writing]: So what was it about?
Tetro: Brothers. Both gifted musicians. An ancient theme: Rivalry.
Bennie: You’re writing the story of our father…
Tetro: One brother goes to to New York City, becomes a big star, he does nothing to help the older brother, who taught him everything he knew.

Tetro: Listen, Bennie, I divorced myself from my family, okay? Fathers, sisters, all of it. All of it. All right? I don’t want to talk about it.[/b]

But Bennie is relentlessly officious. This would drive me insane. But it can take other paths. Every family is different.

[b]Bennie: What is with him?
Miranda: He is like a genius without enough accomplishments, you know?

Miranda [to Bennie about Tetro…whom she had met as a doctor in a mental institution]: When I met him, he said he was a writer. He held everything he ever wrote against his chest. It was the only copy that existed.

Bennie: Everything I’ve loved or been interested in has been because of you. You’re the one who took me everywhere and showed me books and those strange movies like The Red Shoes. and Tales of Hoffman. Then you disappeared, without even an explanation.

Bennie: Who is that?
Miranda: That is the most important critic and writer in South America. She uses the pen name “Alone”. She was your brother’s teacher and mentor, until…until she turned against him. There are different stories why. No one knows the truth. It’s a mystery. Like the mystery of your father, and who he really is.

Miranda [leaving Tetro and Bennie]: I’ll be at the other insane asylum.

Tetro [as a young man]: Dad, I don’t want to continue with pre-med.
Carlo: If not pre-med, then what?
Tetro: Philosophy.
Carlo: How do you make a living at philosophy?
Tetro: I want to be a novelist.
Carlo: Novelist? A writer?
Tetro: Yes, that’s what I want to do.
Carlo: Well, to make a living as a writer, you’d have to be a genius.
Tetro: So?
Carlo: There’s only room for one genius in this family.

Miranda [after Bennie has taken Tetros work, written an ending and gotten it published and produced…without his knowledge or permission]: This is exactly what I had hoped for, what will cure you.
Tetro: You think this will cure me?
Miranda: Absolutely.
Tetro: Am I not okay the way I am? Am I not famous enough? I had a girlfriend once who was very impressed with famous people. And one day, a very famous person took her away. Stole her from me.[/b]

And just because he could.

[b]Miranda: Success is what you need, Tetro.

Tetro: I’m gonna tell you straight, Bennie. I am not your brother. I’m your father.
Bennie: I don’t believe a word you say.
Tetro: Believe it it, Bennie. You know the ending you wrote in the play? The father gets killed? You’re looking at him.[/b]

More family ties. Again, the family you didn’t pick but are still entangled in in any number of ways. My reaction to this one [largely envy] stems no doubt from the fact I was never really entangled in one of my own. I could see we lived on different planets for all intents and purposes and I knew that as soon as I could I’d be gone. And I was. So maybe I do envy those folks who had more “normal” – more complex, nore nuanced, more intimate – relationships. The kind I saw on television, for example. Well, before “All In the Family” anyway.

And there is something about the death of one of the main characters [in any family] that can bring out either the best or the worst in us. But, again, it’s not something I have ever had to experience. I was around when my father died, but who the hell was he anyway. Here the relationship is more traditionally alienated. The culturally sophisticated father is estranged from a millionaire son who only reads stock portfolios. But things can change.

There are, in other words, barbarians outside the gate, and barbarians inside the gate.

But this particuar barbarian has lots of loot. Enough, for example, to buy the heroin. The dope that will keep his father considerably less pain-ridden. He even pays former students to visit his father at the hospital to pretend they are there by their own choice—to bid the professor adieu. And it works. Father and son are brought closer together as The End looms.

But is this the way to end it? Here he is dying while surrounded by the family and friends that make death itself all the more unbearable. It’s a trade off that [for better or for worse] I will never have to make.

IMDb

It is the first sequel ever to win the Best Foreign Language Film award at the Oscars.

It was the sequel to The Decline of the America Empire. This film is somewhere in my collection so look for it down the road. It was also nominated for an Academy Award. In 1986.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Barbarian_Invasions
trailer: youtu.be/nH6v62yp29Q

THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS [Les Invasions Barbares] 2003
Written and directed by Denys Arcand

[b]Louise [Remy’s wife to Gaëlle]: This is where he brings his mistresses. With any luck we will find panties.

Remy [to Sebastien]: You know the old saying, “Christmas in the scanner, Easter six feet under.”

Remy [father]: You may be a millionaire, but you know nothing!
Sébastien [son]: I know I won’t end up like you! She’s the reason I’m here. She raised me, not you!
Remy: Don’t you have a plane to catch to Hong Kong? I don’t need you, not for one second! Go to hell!
Sébastien: Fuck you!
Remy: Go to hell!

Mother [to Sebastien]: Until you’re a parent you’ll never understand. He changed your diapers. He called your teachers every month all through school. He so wanted you to do well. When you had meningitis at age he rocked you in his arms for 48 hours non-stop, without sleep, to keep death at bay.

TV talking head [with 9/11 as the backdrop]: There were, what, 3000 dead. Historically, that’s insignificant. As a U.S. example, 50,000 died at the Battle of Gettysburg. What is significant, as my old prof said, is they struck at the heart of the Empire. In previous conflicts–Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War–the Empire managed to keep the barbarians outside its gates, its borders. In that sense, people may look back on — and I stress may — as the beginning of the great barbarian invasions.

Rémy: Contrary to belief, the 20th century wasn’t that bloody. It’s agreed that wars caused 100 million deaths. Add 10 million for the Russian gulags. The Chinese camps, we’ll never know, but say 20 million. So 130, 145 million dead. Not all that impressive. In the 16th century, the Spanish and Portuguese managed, without gas chambers or bombs, to slaughter 150 million Indians in Latin America. With axes! That’s a lot of work, sister. Even if they had church support, it was an achievement. So much so tha the Dutch, English, French, and later Americans followed their lead and butchered another 50 million. 200 million dead in all! The greatest massacre in history took place right here. And not the tiniest holocaust museum. The history of mankind is a history of horrors.

Remy: My son is an ambitious and puritanical capitalist. Whereas I was always a sensual socialist.

Pierre’s wife: Did you get that book I mentioned? Inner Healing by Swami Rapudanthra.
Remy: No, unfortunately not.
Pierre’s wife: I’ll bring it. Your body’s in your head. Illness starts and ends in the head. I keep telling Pierre that. Well, we’ll be going. See you soon.
Friend: How old is she?
Friend: It’s not about age. Her breasts outweigh her brain. It’s true! The quantity of blood they require drains the brain. It’s physiological.
Pierre [poking his head back in the room]: No wisecracks. She’s given me two girls who’ve transformed my life. And a mere brush of her hand makes me as hard as a bull. Which we’ll all agree is a godsend at our age.

Sebastien: My proposal is that I pay for your supplies, as well as my father’s.
Nathalie: Do you want brown or white?
Sebastien: I’ve no idea.
Nathalie: To smoke or shoot up?
Sebastien: I trust you.
Nathalie: You shouldn’t.
Sebastien: Why not?
Nathalie: You should never trust a junkie. They make a habit of lying.

Remy: What’s that?
Nathalie: Heroin.
Remy: It comes from opium, right?
Nathalie: It’s morphine mixed with chemicals.
Remy: Will you inject it?
Nathalie: We’ll start inhaling and then see.
Remy: It’s incredible to…
Nathalie: Be quiet now. Try to concentrate. The first time is the best. It’s the one you long for over and over again. It’s called “riding the dragon”.

Remy: You don’t care much about living, do you?
Nathalie: Not really.
Remy: I was like you at your age. Ready to die at any time. I didn’t care. That’s why the young people make the best martyrs. It’s paradoxical, but living grows on you when you begin to subtract: I’ve got 20 years left, 15, 10. When you realize it’s for the last time. I’m buying my last car. This is my last trip to Genoa, Barcelona…
Nathalie: I won’t live that long.
Remy: How do you know?
Nathalie: Overdoses are pretty frequent.
Remy: But you can never tell. Maybe you’ll kick it and reach a ripe old age. We can’t decipher the past, how can we know the future? No one ever knows what’ll happen to them. Except me, now. I know.
Nathalie: Are you scared?
Remy: Sure am. I don’t want to stop living. I loved life so much.
Nathalie: What was it you loved?
Remy: Everything. Wine, books, music, women, above all women. Their smell, their mouths, the feel of their skin.

Nathalie [to Remy]: It’s not the present you cling on, it’s your past. That life is already dead.

Remy: Pius XII sitting on his ass in his gilded Vatican while Primo Levi was taken to Auschwitz…That’s not sad! It’s despicable! Hideous!
Nurse: If what you say is true, and history is a series of abominable crimes, then someone has to exist who can forgive us. That’s my belief.
Remy: I envy you…

Remy: I’m a total failure.
Nathalie: At least you realize it. So many professors are smug, unbearable.

Remy: I still can’t come to terms with death.
Nathalie: You know you have to.
Remy: I can’t accept it.
Nathalie: That’s how it is. It’s a law of nature. The very instant you shut your eyes, millions more will also die.
Remy: But I won’t be here anymore. Me. I’ll be gone for good. If at least I’d learned something. I feel as helpless as the day I was born. I haven’t found a meaning. I have to keep searching…

Rémy: We’ve been everything: separatists, supporters of independantists, sovereignists, sovereignity-associanists…
Pierre: At first, we were existentialists.
Dominique: We read Sartre and Camus.
Claude: Then Fanon, we became anti-colonialists.
Rémy: We read Marcuse and became Marxists.
Pierre: Marxist-Leninists.
Alessandro: Trotskyists.
Diane: Maoists.
Rémy: After Solzhenitsyn we changed, we became structuralists.
Pierre: Situationists.
Dominique: Feminists.
Claude: Deconstructionists.
Pierre: Is there an -ism we haven’t worshipped?
Claude: Cretinism.

Remy [to the whole gang]: I enter the dining room of her hotel. I spot her, and die. Beauty that could melt Emperor Qin’s terra cotta warriors. I order tea, we make small talk. I can see us doing Pekinese lotus. -The Szechuan dragon. To make myself appear intresting, I dive in: “Your country has achieved so much. We’re so envious. Your Cultural Revolution is wonderful!” Her lovely black eyes glaze over. I’m mortified to realize that she’s thinking, “He’s either a CIA agent or the worst cretin in the West.” So much for the lotus and dragon. For two years she’d cleaned pigsties on a re-education farm. Father murdered, mother committed suicide. And some dumb French-Canadian who’s seen the films of Jean-Luc Godard and read Philippe Sollers says that the Chinese Cultural Revolution, is wonderful![/b]

There are sports fans. Then there are football fans. Then there are football fans in England. Soccer football in other words.

People like sports because 1] there is a book of rules that [at least theoretically] are applicable to all 2] somebody clearly wins and somebody clearly loses 3] there is a team somewhere nearby to root for—even fanatically 4] it readily distracts folks from all the crap they have to endure in their lives.

Of course with so much celebrity and money riding on sports these days, winning may not have a whole lot to do with, say, sportsmanship. It may have more to do it with whatever it takes to win. And that’s the tug of war here. Bringing football back to the “beautiful sport” it was meant to be or yanking it over the pond to America—where any rabid citizen can easily explain to you why, “winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”. Our kind of football in other words.

All the stuff here happened [more or less] nearly 40 years ago. And not being all that knowledgable about football in England I have no idea how to factor it into the history of the sport there. But some things – the part about winning at all cost, the money and the celebrity, for example – seem here to stay.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Damned_United
trailer: youtu.be/G_QiKT-6hlo

THE DAMNED UNITED [2009]
Directed by Tom Hooper

[b]Title card: 1974. Leeds United is the dominant force in British football. The nation is in trauma having failed to qualify for the world cup. The manager of the England national football team is the most coveted job in the country. There’s only one obvious choice…

TV interviewer: You’ve been very vocal in your criticism of Leeds over the years. You’ve accused the players of dirty tactics… cheating, dissent, foul play. You’ve called Norman Hunter Norman ‘‘Bites Yer Legs’’ Hunter. Peter Lorimer falls when no one touches him.
Brian: And I was right.
TV interviewer: But I’m curious. Why do you now show such alacrity to joining them after such vituperative criticism of them for so long?
Brian: Goodness. It will take me half an hour to explain all those words for a start. Look, football is a beautiful game, Austin. It needs to be played beautifully. I think Leeds have sold themselves short. They’ve been champions, but they’ve not been good champions.

Manny: I hired you to do this job because I think you’re the best young manager in this country.
Brian: Thank you. I’m the best old one, too.

Manny: I also hired you under the assumption that you would be coming here wanting the best for this club. For the city of Leeds. So why do I get the feeling this is all about you and Don?
Brian: Of course it’s just about me and Don. Always has been. But instead of putting frowns on your foreheads you elders of Leeds in your blazers and your brass-fucking-buttons it should put big white Colgate smiles on your big white faces. Because it means I won’t eat, and won’t sleep until I’ve taken whatever that man’s achieved, and beaten it. Beaten it so I never have to hear the name Don-fucking-Revie again. Beat it. The only name anyone sings in the Yorkshire ale houses…raising their stinking jars to their stinking mouths…is Brian Clough. Brian Clough uber-fucking-alles. Understand?

Brian [to the assembled Leeds players]: Well, I might as well tell you now. You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Don Revie. But as far as I’m concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest fucking dustbin you can find, because you’ve never won any of them fairly. You’ve done it all by bloody cheating.

Longson: 170 grand for Colin-fucking-Todd? Correction, ‘‘The Almighty’’ Colin Todd.
Brian: Best technical footballer in the country.
Longson: And his salary’s 300 quid a week? We can’t pay a footballer that.
Brian: That’s the way things are going, Uncle Sam. Football’s all about money now. Let me ask you a question, Uncle Sam. What’d you come into football for?
Longson: To support the football club of my hometown. The club I’ve supported all my life. I didn’t come to be lectured by some cocky little twat from the North East.
Brian: The way I see it, there’s no point being in this game…not unless you want to beat the best. And be the best. That’s all the people of Derby want. If you really have their interest at heart—not just impressing your friends in the director’s box—I suggest you keep your eyes on your road haulage business. Keep your opinions to yourself and start signing some fucking cheques. Leave the running of this football club to the professionals.
Longson: Well, professionals don’t run the football club, Brian. The chairman does. If it’s true football is all about money…and that’s the way it’s going…well, that suits us chairmen just fucking fine. Because we’re the ones who’ve got it.

Journalist: How would you define your approach to management, apart from being brilliant?
Brian: Good lad.

Michael Parkinson: How do you react when someone says, “Boss, you’re doing it wrong?”
Brian: Well, I ask him how he thinks it ought to be done. And then we get down to it, and we talk about it for twenty minutes, and then we decide that I was right.

Brian [to interviewer]: I wouldn’t say I was the best manager in the country. But I’m in the top one.

Muhammed Ali [on TV]: Some fella in London, England named, some Brian… Brian Clough. I heard all the way in America that this fella talks too much. They say he’s another Mohammed Ali. There’s just one Mohammed Ali. Now, Clough, I’ve had enough. Stop it.
Peter: Are you gonna stop it?
Brian: No, I’m going to fight him.

Peter: The problem isn’t Longson. It’s you. This mad ambition you have to beat Revie and Leeds. It comes and it goes. Sometimes it’s good. Oh, yes. Like a fire that stirs everything up. Then there’s this. This thing that takes over. Destroys everything that’s good in your life. Please, Brian. Please tell me that this letter is just a draft. You’ve not sent it. I’ll be out in a couple of days. Let me talk to them.[/b]

Too late…

[b]Brian: What are you doing?! You weren’t supposed to accept our resignations!
Longson: Shouldn’t bloody well offer them, then, should you?
Brian: Look, you can’t get rid of us. It would be a disaster for the club. For the whole of Derby!
Longson: You can’t keep shooting your mouth off the way you have been and issuing these ultimatums. With great reluctance, your resignations have been accepted.
Brian: Look, you can’t do this. It’s madness.
Longson: The decision stands. Car keys on the table and out.
Brian: We’re gonna create a footballing dynasty here. Derby could be one of the greats. Alongside United, Liverpool, Leeds!
Longson: Now! And don’t dare show your face here again.

Don [answering the phone]: Hello?
Brian: You must be loving this. Loving every minute.
Don: Who is this?
Brian: Watching it all fall apart. It’s Brian Clough.
Don: What?
Brian: They won’t play for me. Your boys. Your bastard sons. And never will.
Don: What are you talking about? It’s-- It’s 2:00 in the morning. Why are you ringing here?
Brian: They’re loyal to you. Thought you might like to know that. Loyal to big daddy Don.
Don: For God’s sake, go to sleep, man. Where’s your dignity? And don’t ring here again.

Brian: We’re from the north, Pete. What do we care about Brighton? Bloody southerners. Look where we are! We’re almost in France.

Peter: Brighton’s a small club, I’ll give you that.
Brian: Bloody midgets!
Peter: But at least we’d be together! You and me, Brian. We can build them up. Make them our own, like we did with Hartlepools, like we did with Derby…
Brian: And then what? Bottle again soon as it comes to the big time? That’s always been the trouble with you, Pete. No ambition.
Peter: That’s the trouble with you, Brian. Too much ambition. Too much greed, too much everything!
Brian: Yeah, you knock it, but it’s done you proud over the years, hasn’t it? My ambition. Without me, you’d still be in Burton bloody Albion.
Peter: Yes, and without you, I’d still have a job in Derby! A job and a home that I love. Oh, yes, you’re the shop window, I grant you that. The razzle and the bloody dazzle. But I’m the goods in the back! Without me, without somebody to save you from yourself, Brian fucking Clough, you’re not just half. You’re nothing!
Brian: I’m nothing? I’m nothing? Don’t make me laugh. What does that make you then, Taylor? Something? You’re half of nothing! Nothing’s parasite! A big fat pilot fish that feeds on nothing. A bloody nobody! The forgotten man! History’s fucking afterthought!

Peter: So, what are you doing here?
Brian: Don’t make this difficult for me, Pete. You know why I’m here. I won’t bloody grovel. All right. Well, all right, I’m grovelling. I’m on me knees.
Peter [indicating what Brian has to say]: I apologise… unreservedly… for being a twat.
Brian: I apologise for being a twat…
Peter: Unreservedly.
Brian: Unreservedly. ’
Peter: Because I can’t do it without you.
Brian: Because I can’t do it without you. ’
Peter: I’m nothing without you.
Brian: I’m nothing without you. ’
Peter: Please…please, baby, take me back.
Brian: Fuck off. All right. Fine. Please. Please…baby…take me back.
Peter: Come on.
[Pete and Brian embrace]
Peter: You’re only gonna fuck it up again, aren’t you?
Brian: I love you, you know.
Peter: I know. But it won’t stop you.
Brian: So would you sooner go through it all without me?
Peter: Never.

Title cards:

Don Revie failed as England Manager. He went to the UAE where his career ended amid allegations of financial misdealings. Leaving him in football wilderness.

Brian Clough and Peter Taylor were reunitied. They took over a small provincial club, Nottingham Forest…going on to win the European Cup in 1979…and again in 1980. A feat that has not been matched by a British manager since.

Brian Clough remains the greatest manager the England team never had.[/b]

Actually, this is just a chunk of England. A very small chunk of the whole. Though not to the main characters. As far as they are concerned it is the whole fucking universe. And parts of this universe really, really piss them off. Mostly because they were dumped into it at birth and really didn’t have a fucking thing to say about it. And dealing with it, it is always easier to adopt the narrative of victim. But not like all the other victims because you are bent on doing something about it. Even if the solution is a pipe dream and thought up by others.

An impoverished and/or working class working class community in a world being inundated by all that is perceived to be “other”. This behavior is as predictable as the tides. Only these lads are no where near what you’d call hardcore skinheads. Not nearly akin to the folks that populated, say, Romper Stomper. More like “disaffected youth” looking for a narratve to “solve” all their problems. That’s where Combo and the National Front come in. For some of them. Crosses tattooed right on their foreheads. They’re pissed off at the ruling class too. But their solution is fascism.

Combo and Shaun! The powers that be are trembling in their boots.

All of this is intertwined somehow with the Falkland’s war. This is England at home. That is England abroad. Taking “pride” in the nation.

IMDb

[b]At a Q&A period following this film’s world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival, director Shane Meadows noted that the grim skinhead influenced upbringing of the 11-year-old protagonist was a true portrayal of his own childhood and many of the events depicted were drawn from his early life.

Thomas Turgoose had never acted before, had been banned from his school play for behaving badly and even demanded £5 to turn up for the film’s auditions.[/b]

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_England
trailer: youtu.be/H0jkv2bRFgQ

THIS IS ENGLAND [2006]
Written and directed by Shane Meadows

[b]Mr. Sandhu [after Shaun finally leaves the shop]: Oh, and you’re banned.
Shaun: Oh, and you’re a mong.

School Bully: How many people can you fit into a mini?
Shaun: I don’t fucking know how many?
School Bully: Six. Three in the back, two in the front, and your fucking dad in the ashtray.
Shaun [whose father died in the Falklands War]: You fucker!

Combo: But I’ve got one question to ask you, Milky. Do you consider yourself English, or Jamaican?
[there’s a long uneasy silence, as Milky looks around nervously to the rest of his friends]
Milky [eventually]: English.
Combo: Lovely, lovely, love you for that, that’s fucking great. A proud man, learn from him; that’s a proud man. That’s what we need, man. That’s what this nation has been built on, proud men. Proud fucking warriors! Two thousand years this little tiny fucking island has been raped and pillaged, by people who have come here and wanted a piece of it - two fucking world wars! Men have laid down their lives for this. For this… and for what? So people can stick their fucking flag in the ground and say, “Yeah! This is England. And this is England, and this is England.”[/b]

And then the rest of the racist spiel.

[b]Combo: There’s 3 and a half million unemployed out there. Three and a half million of us can’t find fucking work because the Pakis are taking them all 'cause it’s cheap fucking labor, cheap and easy labor. Which makes us cheap and easy. Three and a half fucking million. It’s not a joke. It’s not a fucking joke. And that Thatcher sits in her fucking ivory tower and sends us on a fucking phoney war. The Falklands? Fucking Falklands? What the fuck’s the Falklands?

Lenny [of the NF]: Some people say we’re racists. We’re not racists. We’re realists. Some people call us Nazis. We’re not Nazis. No, what we are, we are nationalists and there’s a reason people try to pigeonhole us like this. And that is because of one word, gentlemen. Fear.

Combo: What are you doing?
Gadget: I thought I’d take a shit.
Combo: Put your arse away, mate.

Combo [to Sandhu, after the gang robs him]: Picking on a kid, mate? Fucking hell. Picking on a fucking kid, was ya? Eh?
Mr. Sandhu: Just take what you want and go, OK?
Combo: SHUT UP! I’M talking! I’M your fucking size! Fuck with me!
Mr. Sandhu: You got what you want! Just go now, alright?
Combo: Don’t you fucking dare backchat me, or I will slay you now where you fucking stand, you fucking Paki cunt! Right? You listen to fucking me! That fucking kid’s Dad DIED for this fucking country! What have YOU fucking done for it? FUCK-ALL but take fucking jobs off decent people.
[he backs toward the door, pointing a huge knife at Sandhu]
Combo: Now listen, son. Listen good. We’ll be back here whenever we want, right? Cuz this is fucking OURS, now. This is OURS, this, fucking Sandhu. Don’t forget that. Any fucking time we want. And clean the place up, it fucking stinks of curry! Fucking stinks! REEKS of the fucking shit!

Combo: What do you think makes a bad father?
Milky: I don’t know. How about you, what do you reckon?
Combo: Niggers. You fucking coon.
Shaun: Combo, just leave him.
[Milky smiles. The smile that exposes everything]
Combo: Don’t fucking smile. Stop smiling at me.
Shaun: Milky, stop smiling at him. Please!
Combo: Stop fucking smiling at me because I’ll wipe that fucking smile off your fucking face.
[Milky’s smile widens]
Combo: You fucking cunt!
[he beats and kicks Milky to within an inch of his life…then he throws Shaun out of the apartment][/b]

And it’s really all about Lol’s rejection, isn’t it? Some revolution.

Not based on a true story but it is reflective of events that occured in the life of the screenwriter. And stories like this were all too true back then. And we still read of actual men like this from time to time. The details change but the history out of which such behaviors were born [and then flourished among the Nazis] is still making its impact. Eventually though the last of them will be gone. But there are always new atrocities, new fanatics accused of war crimes. But none quite like this one. At least so far.

Here we see how a man can be one way around those he loves and another way entirely around those he hates. What happens then when someone he loves discovers the man he is around those he hates. Or around those he once hated. What happens when the thought of hating someone simply because he or she is Jewish or black or gay etc. is utterly alien [even repulsive] to you. Yet you still can’t not feel love for the bigot who is your father or your brother or your Uncle.

But then you discover he was a rapist and a murderer…and that he did these things over and over and over again. That he was a mass murderer. And that he did this things with the sort of relish we reserve for the ones we call monsters. When do you turn your back on him; or even turn him over to the law? When are you morally obligated to?

at wiki: most wanted Nazi war criminals as of 2013:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mo … hal_Center

The youngest ones now are nearly 90.

IMDb

After the movie was released, screenwriter Joe Eszterhas’s own father, Istvan Eszterhas, was accused of war crimes in Hungary for printing anti-Semitic editorials and even organizing a book burning.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Box_(film
trailer: youtu.be/qcfMaMnr81E

THE MUSIC BOX [1989]
Directed by Costa-Gavras

[b]Ann: This Michael Laszlo must have lied when he got his citizenship. He’s accused of war crimes.

Ann: Papa, it’s not you. It’s somebody else. They made a mistake. We’ll clear it up. Don’t worry.

Ann [when Jack refuses to shake her father’s hand]: Look, this is a mistake. You have the wrong Michael J. Laszlo.
Jack: Like hell we do.

Ann: He wants me to represent him.
Dean: Well I wouldn’t represent him. Suppose he did it?
Ann: Oh Christ, Dean.
Dean: You still love him. He’s still be your dad. Bloods thicker than spilled blood. That’s just a fact of life.

Ann’s colleague: You know, Harry was in the OSS after the war. Then the OSS becomes the CIA and the CIA sets up its first little spy apparatus…putting a bunch of Gestapo guys on the payroll. Word is Harry sipped boubon with Klaus Barbie.

Mack: What do we really know about our parents?
Ann: Oh, I know him, Mack. He raised me.

Harry [to Ann]: You don’t have a prayer, you know that? The Holocaust is the world’s sacred cow. Holocaust survivors are the world’s secular saints. You’d be better off pissing on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier than to cross examine them.

Jack [to Ann]: You’re trusting your heart, you’re gonna get it broken.

Ann: I heard about your wife. I’m sorry. You must have felt very bad.
Jack: Yes, it was a terrible accident.
Ann: The police report said you were drunk. It must not have been easy to cover up.
Jack: You know, I like you Miss Talbot but I now I see I must have misjudged you. You are your father’s daughter.
Ann: Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you.
Jack: Yes you did.
Ann: So didn’t joining Legal Aid assuage the guilt, Jack? What if going after war criminals doesn’t do it either? Are you gonna find Jesus? Are you going to get yourself born again?
Jack: You honestly think you need a self-serving reason to justify prosecuting war criminals? I think maybe you should get another lawyer, Miss Talbot. A real lawyer. One who is not so emotionally involved. By the way, they never pressed charges because there was no case. I was innocent.
Ann: But they could have pressed charges, couldn’t they Jack? They could have built a case if they wanted just like you’re doing with my father.
Jack: I fail to see how you can equate one with other Miss Talbot but maybe you can in court.

Mikey [son]: I already know all about that stuff, anyway. Grandpa told me all about it.
Ann: What did he tell you?
Mikey: It’s a secret just between him and me.
Ann: You can’t tell me?
Mikey: He said it’s all a big exaggeration. The Holocaust and stuff. It’s all made up.

Ann: That was a stupid thing to say!
Mike: What did I say?
Ann: All that stuff about the Holocaust.
Mike: I didn’t say anything.
Ann: He told me, Papa.
Mike: I’m not lying to you!
Mikey: He didn’t! It was Grandpa Talbot!

Ann: Did you really drink whiskey with Klaus Barbie?
Harry: No. But I drank with a lot of others like him though. I was an intelligence officer. I interogated many after the war. Communists were Satan’s army on earth. The Nazi’s had the best anti-communist spy apparatus in the world…and we used them. We were right to use them.
Ann: You really did drink with those monsters.
Harry: None of them that I knew were monsters. They were all salt of the earth types.

Jack [to Ann]: You can’t tell me that after everything that has been said in this trial you don’t have any doubts about your father.

Jack: After the war we let in thousands of its victims. But we also let in some of the executioners. The war was almost over. We were in Germany and the Russsians were crossing the Hungarian border. But the Hungarians were still killing their Jews. They turned the fucking Danube into their own shade of blue. That’s what was happening.
Ann: Some Hungarians. But not my father!

Ann [To Magda Tibor while looking at a photograph of a young Tibor]: The scar…[/b]

And then she knows the truth. Next stop: Shelly’s Loans. The music box.

[b]Ann: It was you, Papa. You killed them all. I saw those photos. It was you, Papa. You killed that woman and her son. You raped that woman. That boy was seven. He was only seven years old! You shot that poor boy in the head while he was crying over his mother!

Ann: Tibor was blackmailing you.
Michael: No, he was a friend.
Ann: I saw the scar, Papa. I saw the scar.[/b]

But she still loves him. And she never wants to see him again. And she won’t let his grandson ever see him again. And she sends an envelope to Jack.

By Jove, she's got it! (Shaw, Pygmailion)

(Well, not quite, there is a nemesis, a double, sort of like the story of the double-forgot dostoevsky? Possibly. Used to be much more of a reader. At any rate double trouble nevertheless, a kind of crucifixion, as in dali’s crucified pseudo girlfriend. They say the girlfriend wasn’t real, but a projection of his alter ego, without which…well…there may have been some sudden de compensation there)

Junior high school. Big City. The classes are almost all black, the teachers are almost all white. So you know a teacher will either rescue a student here or a student will rescue a teacher. And/or [of course] both.

He teaches history. And history is the stuff of change. Some of it you have control over but most of it you don’t. In our personal lives there is change too. And you’d think that at least here we are more in charge of how the events unfold. And that is often the case. But not always. Sometimes things just come along and overwhelm you. And then you either have or do not have access to dope.

So there he is by day trying to inspire his students to out into the world politically and make it a better place to live and then by night smoking or snorting himself into oblivion—and so removing himself as far from that ideal as he possibly can. But that is only a contradiction though if you are convinced that others must choose the path you take. You have your reasons for what you do but they don’t have to be their reasons.

What I especially like about it is how little it delves into his reasons. Same with Drey. We get pieces of the puzzle. Clues. But we don’t really see the world as he does…as she does. Not the whole thing. That allows us to imagine all the more how it is that we might have our own reasons. And how others might not really be able to fathom them at all.

at wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_Nelson_(film
trailer: youtu.be/BNdg2Ds3Fpw

HALF NELSON [2006]
Written in part and directed by Ryan Fleck

[b]Jimbo [reading the paper aloud in the teachers lounge]: A man who was curious to know if a knife could penetrate his bullet-proof vest was killed yesterday by a stab wound to the chest. Witnesses say the man, Jeff Turner, 32, urged his brother, Scott Turner, 35, to stab him as hard as he could, believing the vest would stop the knife. It didn’t.

Jimbo: Gid you guys hear that they found a crack vile in the girl’s locker room?
Dan: Jesus. Do they know whose it was?[/b]

Bingo: It was his.

Mario Savio [on TV]: “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick ast heart that you can’t take part. You can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put you bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you are free, the machine will be prevented from working at all.”
Dan: What is this machine that he’s walking about? It’s keeping us down, what is it?
Jamal: Like, robots and stuff, right?
Dan: Umm… it could be robots. It could be robots, but let’s say it’s a metaphor. He’s saying this machine is keeping you down. Now, what is that? What keeps us from being free? Ms. Drey?
Drey: Prisons.
Dan: Absolutely. Absolutely, prisons. OK? Prisons are definitely a part of it. What else?
Terrence: White!
Dan: White is definitely a part of it. The Man.
Student: The school.
Dan: The school, exactly. The whole-the whole education system is part of the machine. What else?
Student: Aren’t you the machine then?
Dan: Oh, no, you didn’t. What’d you say?
Student: Aren’t you the machine?
Dan: You’re saying I’m the machine?
Student: Yeah, you’re white. You’re part of the school.
Dan: Oh, yeah, I guess you’ve got a point. All right, so I’m part of the machine. But if I’m part of it, then so are you. You are, too. We all are. And this is the thing, remember? Everything is made with opposing force. We may be opposed to the machine, but we’re still very much a part of it, right? I work for the government, the school, but I’m also very much opposed to a lot of its policies. You guys hate coming to school, right? Holler back if you heard me! You hate it, but you come anyway.
Student: Sometimes.
Dan: Sometimes. Exactly.

We’ve come a long way since Savio. Just don’t ask in what direction.

[b]Dan: Look, just because you know that one thing about me. One thing doesn’t make a man.
[Drey laughs softly]
Dan: What?
Drey: One thing doesn’t make a man?

Dan: I used to be so fucked. I used to be so fucked up. I was just out there. You know? But I fucking cleaned up. I cleaned up,
[snorts a line of cocaine]
Dan: For the most part.

Dan [to the class]: Change moves in spirals, not circles. For example, the sun goes up and then it goes down. But everytime that happens, what do you get? You get a new day. You get a new one. When you breathe, you inhale and you exhale, but every single time that you do that you’re a little bit different then the one before. We’re always changing. And its important to know that there are some changes you can’t control and that there are others you can.

Drey: You need some jokes.
Dan: Oh, yeah?
Drey: What do you call cheese that’s not yours?
Drey: Nacho cheese.

Drey: Hey, Coach, can I ask you something?
Dan: Mm-hmm
Drey: What’s it like when you smoke that stuff?

Isabel: Are you a communist?
Isabel: I was looking through your books. Che in Africa?
Dan: So?
Isabel: The Communist Manifesto?
Dan: If I had a copy of Mein Kampf, would that make me a Nazi?
Isabel: Well, you don’t have a copy of Mein Kampf, but if you did, then yes, I’d ask if you were a Nazi.
Dan: Maybe I’m hiding it.
Isabel: Why would you hide it?
Dan: 'Cause it’s just not cool to be a Nazi anymore, baby.

Terrance [a student to the class]: “On November 1st, 1977, Harvey Milk was elected to the San Francisco City Council. He was the first openly gay person to ever be elected to public office. A year later he was assassinatecd by another member of the City Council called Dan White. Dan White claimed he shot Milk because he ate too much junk food that day. This would later be known as the ‘twinkie defense’”.
[Terrance looks at Mr. Dunn incredulously]
Terrance: Is that for real?

Dan [to the class]: In Asia the idea that things are made of opposites, Ying and Yang, dates back 3,000 years. That was them saying change is the only constant…but that just died in the West. It just couldn’t be both, couldn’t be black and white. It couldn’t be right and wrong. It had to be one or the other. Who am I to say that Aristotle is wrong, right, but that doesn’t make any sense. These things need each other. The idea that…that all God’s creations are perfect, perfect…so just to suggest that…that a tree it’s…it’s crooked and it’s straight…it’s strong and it’s weak…is to suggest that…that God created something imperfect. They do however acknowledge it in people; we are sinners…but we can strive to be good…just not in nature itself I guess.

Dan: Man…I’m sweating like George Bush on Judgment Day.

Dan: Look, you don’t really see other kids coming up to my car, Drey, to talk to me…it’s uh…I’m your teacher, not your friend. Why don’t you go play with other kids your own age? I’m just trying to be alone.
Drey: Then be alone, asshole.
Dan [rolls up his car window]: Bitch.

Drey [to the class]: “On September 11th, 1973, the CIA helped overthrow and murder democratically elected Chilean president Salvador Allende. The military coup led to mass disappearances, assassinations and the torture of thousands of Chilean civilians under the leadership of U.S. backed dictator Augusto Pinochet. Secretary of Sate Henry Kissinger said of Allende’s 1970 election, ‘these issues are much too important for Chilean voters to decide for themselves.’”

Drey: You ever sell to Coach?
Frank: Why?
Drey: Just wondering.
Frank: Look, don’t you think you and Teach’s relationship is a little, uh…
Drey: What?
Frank: Inappropriate?
Drey: What do you mean?
Frank: He your teacher, Drey. Sometimes you act like he’s…
Drey: He’s my friend.
Frank: Look, he’s a basehead, all right, and baseheads don’t have frIends.

Dan: Knock, knock.
Drey: Who’s there?
Dan: The Interrupting Cow.
Drey: The Interrupting Cow, who?
Dan [realizing he’s blown the joke]: … Moooooo.
Drey [laughing]: That was horrible![/b]