Poll: According to this chart, what religion are you?

According to this chart, what religion are you?

• Atheist
  • Buddhist
  • Spiritual but Not Religious
  • Pagan
  • Hindu
  • Sikh
  • Deist
  • Jewish
  • Muslim
  • Christian
0 voters

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTDXlIw8i20[/youtube]

It’s been a long time since I post here, but I’ve been wanting to make a thread/poll about this chart that Redeemed Zoomer made online. According to Redeemed Zoomer, there are ten large basic theological premises that can be made if you ask certain theological questions. The list of different results include: Atheist, Buddhist, “Spiritual but Not Religious”, Pagan, Hindu, Sikh, Deist, Jewish, Muslim and Christian. Hinduism seems to be unique in this chart because there’s two ways to become Hindu: be polytheistic and believe in reincarnation or be monotheistic, believe God is not separate from the Universe, and worship idols.

I asked my best friend, the moderator of this forum, @Dannerz, and my therapist what my result would be, and both of them thought it would be Deist. It isn’t. My result is actually Sikh. Given my result I have actually bought a Sikh audiobook of their complete scriptural work on Audible. I’m investigating the religion to see if there is more in common between myself and them than just our panentheism.

Taking part of this chart is so easy and it only takes a few moments of looking over it to see where you fit. Of course, there are more religious positions than ten, and it is still highly unlikely that I’m going to convert to Sikhism from a simple chart. Still, it’s nice to see that there is a religion that believes in my same theological premise. I honestly know almost nothing about the religion, but I’m trying to learn more about it.

What is your result? Are you surprised at your result or does it make sense to you?

_
I have been going with the 3rd option since I was 17… though I was born straddling between East and West/Sindhuism and Roman Catholicism [I still consider myself a Catholic though, due to family engagements and such].

Someone [you] here identifies as Sikh? …who knew. :-s

Some religions are syncretistic when you can’t really blend the beliefs of the religions that it attempts to blend because there are conflicting essentials.

So while you may adopt certain parts of certain religions, if you can’t adopt all of their essentials, you should not adopt that religion, or (therefore) any religion that does not adopt their essentials (even a syncretistic one).

If you are dismissing the essentials, you are dismissing the religion.

One cannot just pronounce themself a Sindhu/Hindu, as it is an indigenous way-of-life pertinent to only those of ancient Indian-Subcontinent origins who belong to 1 of 36/7 clans, so technically not a religion at all.

The idols they worship -along with their one-god- are not idols, but ancestors… so paganism, if you will.

Actually, I made it very clear from my post that I do NOT identify as a Sikh, only, that if you watch the video and let Redeemed Zoomer explain the religions for you, that according to his own chart I would be a Sikh. Actually, I identify as someone from a very new religion called Earthseed, and I’ve been a very vocal proponent of such. Both Sikhism and Earthseed are pantheist or panentheistic religions. Obviously you barely read anything I wrote and completely took what I said out of context because according to my original post I said that I’m not Sikh and I’m not going to convert because of the results of a chart RZ made.

_
I read everything you wrote, but you still identified -the closest- to Sikhism.

I’ve not heard of Earthseed… will have to investigate it.

Heh, I doubt I could even be a Sikh, even if I wanted to be, because if I don’t cut my hair my mom bitches at me until I do. Plus I love to eat meat. And I’m not entirely sure that karma/reincarnation is a thing. Really the only thing Sikhs and I have in common is panentheism. Besides that you’d never see anything else in common between me and them. And it’s not like RZ is going to make an adjustment to his chart to include a religion with approximately 400 followers worldwide. I’m just interested in Sikhism because I agree with its basic theological premise. That’s it. I’m not letting my hair grow long, or wearing a turban, or becoming a vegetarian because a chart told me I have one thing in common with an Indian religion I have very little knowledge of.

Out of ten common religions. If you were given ten choices of favorite ice cream but your ice cream wasn’t on the list, you’d have to pick the one you tolerate the most. Sikhs and I share a common theology but besides that we couldn’t be any different. I am part of Earthseed, and I am a very vocal person for the religion. I made an Earthseed Discord server, I talk about Earthseed all the time and I actively tell people that Earthseed is my religion. Given the fact the religion has 400 followers, RZ isn’t going to include it in a list of top ten largest religious belief systems. You are completely taking everything I say out of context. In fact, I haven’t even read or listened to their scripture so I can’t even really tell you if I agree with the whole concept or not. All I really know is I refuse to live a Sikh lifestyle. I enjoy hair cuts and eating meat.

Also, if you are “spiritual but not religious” did you even look at the chart to determine that? I don’t want self-assigning here, I want people to watch the video, look at the full chart and then assess themselves based on the chart. So, I have to assume based on the chart that 1 - you don’t believe in God, 2 - you are spiritual and 3 - you don’t practice self-denial. Does that sound like you or did you just look at the poll and answer based on your own feelings? The thread title says, “according to this chart”, so I hope you used the video I provided as a reference.

_
Relax brudda!

Atheism is not a religion.
Religions are a system of beliefs designed literally to “bind” people in a common “faith”.
Atheism has no beliefs, no creed, no ceremonies, no rituals, and no canonical systems.
It does not entail any behaviours.

Why does it have the root word “theos” in it rather than something like “paradigm”… aparadigmism?

The aparadigmistic creed:

We do believe we believe nothing.
We do see we see nothing.
We do put together we put together nothing.
We do gather we gather nothing.
We do produce we produce nothing.
We do know we know nothing.

A little wink^ from monotheistic Socrates.

…what makes you think I didn’t?

So in-light of all that^, my initially-correct reply still stands…

I am a Christian, believing in God and Christ. But my beliefs also include panentheism and universal salvation.

First of all: Nobody is a religion. I am not a religion, you are not a religion and all the others are not religions. Religion is something else. A religion is practised. You can perhaps also say that you “have” a religion, but you can never say that you “are” a religion.

Have a look at my comment pinned to your picture.

Your picture, which is allegedly supposed to explain “all religions in 10 minutes”, is good for nothing - typically nihilistic -, and contains even more than the six errors I listed in my comment.

“Just because you are a character, doesn’t mean you have character.”

• The Wolf, Pulp Fiction

That how that goes?

Cuz you totally messed it up…on purpose, by the looks of it.

First I must note that Adobe Flash, which is the format that this question was put-forth in,
is a file format that is designed to hack viewers’ browsers and collect information on people’s
video-viewing habits. Therefore, people who value their internet security, and have some savvy
in that regard, such as myself, have flash disabled in their browser.
I woud not have been able to see this flow-chart if not for Alf having posted it in jpg format.

Second, I must point-out the fundamental insanity of using the word “god” in the capitalized
form, with no definite article (“the”) or indefinite article (“a”) in front of it, as if it were a
proper name. I do certainly believe in the existence of God; his full name is God Shamgod,
and he is a basketball player for the Washington Wizards.

To answer the question at hand, my result is “pagan”.
However, the sort of gods that I believe in are very different from the pagan and abrahamic
ones, which are anthropovocal gods that tahk like humans and think like humans.
The sort of quasi-gods that I believe in could be described as “higher conscious forces”,
which affect things according to their will and their moods, affecting things like weather and
natural disasters, in a seemingly random fashion.

I looked into it and this is what I found:

Sikhism, founded by Guru Nanak in the 15th century in the Indian subcontinent, is generally considered a monotheistic religion. Sikhs believe in one formless, timeless, and omnipresent God. The Sikh scripture, Guru Granth Sahib, emphasizes the oneness of God and rejects the idea of multiple deities.

Earthseed, on the other hand, is a fictional religious system created by author Octavia E. Butler in her science fiction novels, particularly in the “Parable” series. Earthseed is described as a religion that emerged in a dystopian future where people follow the teachings of a character named Lauren Olamina. Earthseed’s beliefs include the idea that “God is Change,” and it encourages adaptation to change as a central tenet.

While Earthseed incorporates a different set of beliefs than Sikhism, it can be characterized as panentheistic, as it suggests that God is both immanent within the world and transcendent beyond it. Sikhism, being monotheistic, focuses on the oneness of God without necessarily emphasizing God’s immanence or transcendence in the same panentheistic framework.

I have been swaying between Mysticism and Advaita Vedanta for some time, probably because I regard names as cultural indicators above all. On my cushion, it is all one.

-Irrellus , MagsJ, Ishthus , Ec, and everyone

Long time see or hear
I am like a lot of people here, Roman Catholic but recently about 6 months ago took up Lotus Sutra chanting, and it came to me through SGA , and not really concerned about a possible problem with that. Christ came before Nichiren Daishonin but way after Shakamuni . I think after realizing the intersection between their journeys, the similarity is stunning, both proclaim their own deaths, yet insist their eternal presence here on earth.

Hi Meno,

I can understand your fascination with chanting, I use several mantras myself, although I have not used the Lotus Sutra because it isn’t familar to me. I have recited English translations of Sutras, but probably not in the way you have. Interesting to hear from you.