PZR Translates De Bello Gallico (notes and discussion)

Is there any place other than Sumerian notation whence Roman numerals may have come from?

Haha the word for beast of burden is oath keeper.

Back to the current timeline:

No, my last thought was right. It is a kind of active ownership, an indication of one, of self and mind. A consul is one who shares his mind.

Aaaand, here we have it. CVIVS.

I’ve been translating PA as open, but there is something more to it than that. As in patent. There is a name, a representation. Also parar in Spanish, to stand. It is in some way to openly represent. Open as occupation, rather than receptacle. There fore PATER is he who represents you. By whose virtue you exist. Or in whose name even. Your father is your seal.

CI here is rather worked than works. The temptation to write works was by virtue of the progression, but more strictly it is:

AD to
FI made
CI worked
E to them
BAN does
TUR ongoingly

The conjugation of roots takes some acclimatization, but Oliver is right, it is essencial. Specially when you have no punctuation marks or spaces, it is what determines the direction of the text as it goes, what places things.

Tempted to translate PATER as representative. If representator was a word almost 100%.

And so we come to SE.

We already did the whole trajectory for TER, understood it to be space, the third coordinate by which space exists.

SE, then, we are postulating is the separation between two things, which determines the number 2. Separate, sequence. But then also sentence, seed. Seco, dry in Spanish. It seems to also imply discreteness, a unit is made from separating itself from its environment.

So, then, I give you:

SE
NA
TVS

Maybe

SE
NAT
VS

Troubling.

Discerened by birth, could be. Separated from the environment by virtue of their birth.

We know senators came from the closest thing there was to Roman nobility. They thought of themselves not as exceptional Romans, but as the real Romans. This reality determined by their lineage, their birth. Others who could maybe technically be citizens were maybe not of a pure enough Roman lineage to count as being se’d by their nat.

There is no actual Roman nobility because Roman aristocrats, like Japanese ones, see themselves simply as being the descendants of the original peasants. Their nobility is of being of peasants. The black teeth of imperial Japanese was probably a conscious appeal to an old peasant tradition. Tradition is the key here. Not blue blood, red, even brown blood, dirty blood from the dirt of the land, tradition. The continuity is what ennobles, tied to the land.

Because that is how superior Romans are. A Roman peasant beats a barbarian king. And from Roman peasant you get directly to God, there is no Roman nobility to traverse.

Because Rome, motherfucker.

Now a real riddle, though.

PO
PV
LVS

What the fuck is PV?

Is it POP?

POP
VL
VS?

My current theory is that word separation was innovated for the placement in public inscriptions, such that one didn’t have to stop to read it but it jumped already to the eye.

It is clearly inferior as a way to read a text. You rob yourself of the plot. Which spoon feeding is what makes it superior for inscriptions. But it cannot help but get in the way of understanding a text. Good for a snippet.

It also would have been decent for poetry, as it forgoes plot for establishing a pacing. And, in fact, the original Roman parchments I saw with separated words was of poetry.

The proper translation for SENATVPOPVLIROMANI is original Roman people, of which the formal senate would have been the representative.

The Roman way of thinking out a thought is just very different from the Gothic. English uses a lot of empty spaces, filling voids with inference and relying on the sturdiness of each word. Latin would find those words cumbersome and instead makes everything explicit in tight, versatile words that give a more continuous flow.

Going back in time I might translate
DEBELLOGALLICO
as
Of The War With Gauls Made.

Maybe PO means materialization, and PI is really a conjugation of the same root. So that POPVLVS refers to materalization. I don’t want to make definitive statements about PV but it could look something like this:

PO materialization
PV material that occupies
LVS Those who are of

Looking now at TEMPO which can only mean materialized time, or time over a material reality.

QVIEOTEMPOREPRINCIPATVMINCIVITATEOBTINEBAT

This is a really nice example of Roman grammar. Not which in that time, but which that temporal civic principality obtained.

Easily you could just write TEMPOREPRINCIPATVMCIVITATE as a single word if you were doing the word separation game.