Successful Metamorphosis, Mostly

I took a bit longer than anticipated, but the site made it intact to new software. Most functions should be working, but let me know if you experience anything different.

Issues I’m aware of:

• DRAFT POSTS WEREN’T PRESERVED. If you had drafts you were working on, I’ve left the old site up at old.ilovephilosophy.com, so you can log in and copy them over manually. I can only leave that up for a week or two, so please copy what you need ASAP.
  • Emails notification aren’t live just yet, but should go live in about a day.
  • Reply by email might take a few more days to sort out.
  • There are some images missing, but those will appear over time, there’s some sort of robot helper that runs in the background and trues everything up post-migration.
  • The dancing banana may take yet longer to sort out.

I’ll be tweaking things over the next few days and weeks, so if you can’t see the site try again in 15 minutes. I’ll schedule the most disruptive work for low-traffic periods and I’ll try out the @here feature in chat to let people know.

Thanks for your patience, and let me know of any changes you’d like to see.

3 Likes

Thanks Carleas for caring for the site

Thanks for the heads-up on the ‘drafts’ issue… :ok_hand:t3:

There doesn’t seem to be an edit option… :thinking:

Is there a possibility of adding one?

Thank you, Carleas.

Is the privilege to edit unlocked after a certain amount of activity? I received a PM that said something like that.

…also, is there an option for different layouts for the site at your end?

@Carleas, the edit option seems to be turned off…

Users at trust level 0 cannot

• Send personal messages to other users
  • “Reply as new topic” via Link button (UI removed)
  • Flag posts
  • Post more than 1 image
  • Post any attachments
  • Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
  • Have actual links in the ‘about me’ field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
  • Mention more than 2 users in a post
  • Post more than 3 topics
  • Post more than 10 replies
  • Edit their own posts after more than 24 hours

Admins can change these limitations by searching for newuser and first_day in site settings.

Sorry, I’ll tweak the permissions. Obviously you shouldn’t be trust level 0.

Trust levels are based in part on on things phpBB didn’t track, like how much time you’ve spent on the site, so those were set to 0. I’ll figure out a way around that today, but also know that your trust levels should increase quickly.

There are lots, what do you have in mind? Some are adjustable on your end in the ‘Interface’ tab of your preferences, but there are many others, and I’d welcome your thoughts. This software has a different ontology from the old one, I’m still figuring out how best to arrange the site within it.

Update: you should be Trust Level 1, and should have edit permissions.

2 Likes

@MagsJ there are a few alternatives for how the home page could be laid out. The test site had something more like this:

This simulates the old software a bit better, encouraging engagement within categories more than does the ‘latest’ column that has topics from across the site. I think as we acclimate to this software, we’ll want to rethink how categories are used to organize topics, but maybe something familiar eases the transition?

I like ROYGBIV. Js. Talking so that this is at least 20 characters long (not having to do this would be nice).

For me, the topics button does what I need, and gives me an overview of latest entries, so I’m happy. Thanks @Carleas

Not bigger, simplified. ILP needs a simplified logo that looks good and legible at smaller sizes.

1 Like

True, it looks a bit insignificant at the moment.

I think that keeping the double-column home-page is not only confusing, but is also uneasy on the eye - navigating from a single-column/clean page using the 2 icons in the header [the ILP logo and the User’s avatar] would suffice, nicely.

… navigating the site is more agreeable, if you hide the categories panel on the left by clicking the 3-stripes at the top-left-side of the page.

Comme ça
:point_down:t3:

_
_
…and if you use the avatar icon on the top right-hand-side of the page, to navigate the user interface with.

_
_
Click on the ILP-avatar at the top of the page, to access all posts.

here… :point_down:t3:

I should be able to read the words in the logo in the header without scrolling/zooming in whilst sporting 20/20 vision.

Does it need to be redesigned because it isn’t scaling right?

I used to know how to ask for the right type of file and upload it to the website so it shows up correctly… But I do not have admin access here in order to tinker around with it to explain it to you. Something tells me you could probably figure it out.

…also:

Is it possible to add the ‘thread author/created date’ to the info on the left-hand-side… as was previously the case with ILP?

1 Like

…also: can the ‘quote’ function be activated rather than earned please, as it’s not like this is a new forum where the members have to be scrutinised for sincerity of quoting others.

…also: is there a ‘preview’ function, for posts and messages?

1 Like