theodicy

Have you ever gone through anything that at the time was painful, but if it had never happened, greater joys down the road would not have been possible?

Have you never thought something difficult was worth overcoming, and were glad for the challenge?

Would you prefer no joy on the other side of challenge?

Would you prefer being a vegetable?

Or would you call God a bleeding heart, paternalistic helicopter dictator overstepping bounds and abusing his power?

When you were caught fighting when you were younger, did anyone ever say to you, “If you don’t solve it, I’m going to solve it for you, and you may not like how I solve it”?

Were you always … “Ok, go ahead” … or did you ever appreciate the freedom?

Do you want that freedom to end for everyone?

If God respects free will,
he would destroy mind control, slavery, abuse, etc.
But no.

The idea that God helping people negates their freedom.
That is a faulty argument.

Dictatorships reduce human freedom,
and thus should be stopped by the freedom-respecting-God.

Be as patient with them as God is with you.

God having patience for evil makes god evil.

We’re not talking about a human here. Humans can pass the little things by and say, “we all make mistakes”.

God has different standards.

God didn’t have to create and/or allow evil.

God can even accomplish that without making us mindless soulless zombies.

The moment you question the power of god is the moment you separate yourself from god.

But if you don’t question the power of god, the only conclusion is that god accepts evil as divine.

Evil doesn’t need to exist to give us freewill. Evil doesn’t need to exist as a contrast to give us joy.

Evil is just gods way of saying… “I like being evil”

So I guess patience is a vice now.

Charles says he’s a virtuoso of patience because of your hunger games.

It’s only an infinite vice if you’re god.

Well. In one sense it is infinite. In another sense it has its … shall we say … limits.

Just like a wizard arrives precisely yada yada.

Ichthus.

You’re a name-dropping sycophant with Stockholm Syndrome.

You’re brainwashed.

Suffering is unacceptable.

Oh, well…

Another actual philosophy thread here at The New ILP bites the dust…

It’s now just another adjunct of The Corner.

I mean. Was it not a fair test? Yours, or mine? By what standard?

Okay, if you can’t get them to leave [and you can’t, right?] join them…

I suffer. Why? Because those like you and her have polluted a thread of mine with The Corner blather.

But, here we go…

What makes me suffer here brings you satisfaction.

Conflicting goods. Mine rooted in dasein, yours in a “condition”.

All I can do then is to request that you take your blather here – ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop … 5&t=194822 – instead.

I will respect your request for as long as I remember it and henceforth refer to every post or comment you create as Biggy’s Chamber of EcHoes.

Just because.

Iambiguous wrote:

“ Okay, if you can’t get them to leave [and you can’t, right?] join them…

I suffer. Why? Because those like you and her have polluted a thread of mine with The Corner blather.

But, here we go…

What makes me suffer here brings you satisfaction.”

Ecmandu replies:

So said the rapist sent to prison by a jury. I gain no satisfaction dealing with twisted minds like yours iambiguous. I just know that you’re a crime against humanity. And I want to make it very apparent.

Uh, suppose I begged you to leave and take her with you. :laughing:

And you can’t prove it’s not God’s will, right?

Ec’s patch is a crime against humanity.

Proviso: I will stop replying in Biggy’s Chamber of Echoes when he stops referring to her.

You don’t even know how the patch is being constructed.

It’s being constructed so that anyone who still wants to live in existence where they still enjoy someone losing to make them feel good is not forced to leave.

People who don’t want that can leave.

And even if they leave, they can always come back.

In other words, as long as this is all unfolding “in his head”. =D>

Ecmandu wrote:

That is not necessarily true. It may be the moment in which you come to realize that perhaps God is not, in actuality, as you think/thought Him to be…as many others do also. Thinking “out of the box” may in a sense be bringing one closer to God since you are now “seeing” God in a truer light…albeit a more mysterious one.

We are stretching ourselves, going beyond our old and lazy beliefs, creating a new mindset and perspective, growing up spiritually, when we question the “real” power of God.

Three million Jews were destroyed, murdered, during the Nazi occupation and the holocaust. They were God’s chosen people supposedly. Who would at least not take a moment to question God’s power/omnipotence, while thinking of this? It really is not a “good fit” is it? So perhaps God is not so much about being all powerful but about being who knows what? Perhaps the all-powerful part has more to do with who WE are rather than with who God is.

Anyway, insofar as your statement is concerned, that might also depend on the individual and that individual’s faith, confidence and trust in God.