Think about it

I agree. In large scale farming, it’s cheaper to treat animals poorly then inject them to keep the diseases away. We’re just beginning to find out the effects of this is having on human consumers.

I’ve been a veggie since the 70’s but I think there’s a place for ethical meat eating. For me, the issue revolves around reducing the suffering to a bare minimum. I don’t see a huge problem with ethical hunting. If the animal is free its entire life then bang!!!.. gets a bullet in the head… then there’s little suffering. Sometimes it’s necessary to keep herds down to protect other animals or the environment.

There are meat-eating hippies I know who treat their animals like pets then, when the time comes, they remove the animal from sight of the other animals, calm it down, do a little gratitude ritual, then a quick bullet to the head or a knife to the throat and its gone.

This, to me, is the way it should be done if it need be done at all. The conscious or mental state of those who are about to consume the animal is just as important as the animal’s state. If you’re going to take a life, the least you can do is to express gratitude and/or thank the animal. That animal will soon become your flesh. That idea is quite awesome. It’s a form of reincarnation of sorts. One body becoming another. The experience should be savoured and appreciated for what it is.

Just look at the packages, DS. Who approved those images?

Most hunters suck and do not put bullets “in head”.

Could explain the large scale of mental retardation in society, whereas I seem unaffected by it, because I don’t eat those products.

Reread my explanation, DS, and stop derailing the thread with your right-wing xtian gun-nut conspiracy garbage.

PS: Tell Alex Jones I said ‘Hi’ :laughing:

A lot of our commercial Turkey breeds are nearing extinction, because consumers who want them want them not factory bred, it’s people willing to pay a bit more for a fancier breed… so end result is, they aren’t necessarily organic, but are treated better and not caged as bad… but this means every specialty breed of Turkey combined doesn’t even match the Max population of a single large scale Turkey farm.

Luckily, we can clone these creatures here soon, it just isn’t economically profitable, but we can forestall “extinction”.

When it comes to turkeys and chickens… they are stupid to begin with, and I can care less if they can’t walk or are caged all their life, as I desire any traits of intelligence progressively wiped from them generation after generation. The only use for their heads are it’s a instrument for them to pick at their food and eat. I would prefer to go the route of “Mike The Headless Chicken”, because we know through Mike, chickens don’t really need their heads, just a bit of brain stem.

I just don’t see farms starting up beheading chickens and slapping eyedroppers daily into chickens. But if we can genetically engineer a chicken without legs, a head, and feathers, and just stick a tube in it’s head after we force hatch them (doubt such a creature could hatch on it’s own) I would prefer my chicken like that.

Chickens do stupid shit, I’ve seen them Peck their ass to death. I was asked to watch some caged chickens in hawaii for a week, they started killing themselves through ass attacks… I freaked the fuck out. Not smart creatures. Better no head and just a feeding tube in it’s neck, immobalized.

Such a creature would have the IQ of a cucumber, and require less care once tubed up and caged.

I think we can do it, they’ve been genetically engineering chickens to look like dinosaurs. Why not a headless, legless, fetherless one, stacked in cages 100 high, 100,000 deep isles. Tubes everywhere coming off the curling, Turkey-Cumber droppings below harvested for farm fertilizers.

Mike proves we really don’t need the damn head. Its the one source if meet I think we can achieve a source of non-sentience in a decade. Hell, a chicken farmer could start this year with strategic cutting of a baby chicken’s head off, eyedroping it, selling it for several times it’s usual cost as more ethical meat. Ill lend free of charge the name Chicken-Cumber and Turkey-Cumber Chicken for free. I refuse too allow it to be trademarked, it’s public domain.

Honestly, if you saw a otherwise healthy chicken, just lacked a head, would you have qualms eating it? Would you have a “gratitude ritual” for something without a head, unable to hear you, much less the impossibility to understand you, because it has no brain? Whats the point, it’s a mobile cucumber, stab and eat it.

Obviously you are the conspiracy theorist.

i’m not sure what this last sentence means or is responding to. Was someone suggesting they intentionally torture animals? I am sure individual workers do this, but yes, I doubt that any boards of directors have decided to increase the suffering of animals for the sake of increasing the suffering of animals. They would do it if it increased their profits of course.

:smiley: I’ll wear that but let’s move on. You think X, I disagree but let’s leave it at that. Peace.

If a healthy dog had a similar accident to what befell poor Mike the Chicken, would you cook it up? Why not? It wouldn’t have a brain. It’d just be a mobile cabbage with fur so, stab it and eat it.

:animals-chickencatch:

And to think I once believed in a God who gives a damn. What a fool I was.

PLEASE PRAY FOR THE CHICKENS

And if there is no god to raise a stand for the farm animals, who will stand for them? How about you homo sapiens? No, you’ll watch the video, and then go to the grocery store and buy your New Year’s turkey. But think about this homo sapiens: If someday you realize that you yourselves are just rats in a cage, who will stand for you?

PLEASE PRAY FOR THE HOMO SAPIENS

I don’t eat dog period Chakra. Its a carnivore.

Good rule of thumb: Whatever you think is OK to do to animals, it should be OK to do to you (you’re an animal).

Now does this apply to eating you?

I think that was one of the premises behind the movie The Matrix. It’s OK for us homo sapiens (“wise men”) to put a biological organism in a cage for its entire existence, until it is sufficiently fattened to be slaughtered. So what does happen when a more advanced form of life comes along and decides that the only thing homo sapiens are really good for is food? Will we be able to speak to this more advanced intelligence about things like the ethical treatment of animals? Or if this more advanced intelligence is a product of our own creation, will it also adopt our style of morality: "Ethics is something you pay lip service to, but in the real world you just do whatever is most convenient. Or maybe if we can design an intelligence capable of seeing through all the hypocrisy and twisted logic of humans, it will be hard for homo sapien, “wise man” to convince this intelligence that he too is an intelligent life form, worthy of the respect that he doesn’t give to non-intelligent beings.

No, absolutely not. Not only that, I would not like any such person watching it who is not concerned with all this in one way or other. I think that vid has the capacity to disturb grownups also.

But, as I asked in my last post, what is your suggestion for preventing people from seeing that vid in the modern era of free speech and expression?

With love,
Sanjay

But Gib,

If there is nothing truly good/ bad or moral/immoral in the reality, why we all are supposed to follow goodness!

Means, why we teach our children what is good and bad! And, why the world is now so concerned about climate change! Why we do not follow the premise of " natural flow of water" in all cases!

Let the future unfold naturally. Why try to change it!

With love,
Sanjay

That already is happening. And you can speak of pretty much anything … because it won’t change anything. And no, they don’t accept your morals.

If one species is the natural food of another, I don’t think there is anything unethical about the latter eating the former. Would you say a lion is acting immorally by eating a gazelle?

But I think if a species is intelligent enough to understand the moral implications of what it’s doing, there will come some moral responsibilities with eating another species. I’m in agreement with Turds (if that’s a surprise) in that the death of the animal should be as quick and painless as possible, and that would be any intelligent species’ obligation to its prey.

I think the idea of being harvested for food would be horrible, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the predator species is “evil”. However, it doesn’t mean we have to passively lay down our lives for them either. It would be natural for us to want to escape or rebel, and we would have every right to do so.

A more difficult question is: if we knew we could survive on a vegan diet and remain relatively healthy, and it was within our means, would we have a moral obligation to do that?

Is vegan more ethical than vegetarian?

What’s wrong with drinking a cow’s milk? Or eating a chicken egg?