“Till We Have Faces” book discussion

Is this the appropriate forum for a book discussion? I have a list of books I want to read during my break between semesters. I may not have anything to say but I often do. If you happen to have this book or can quickly acquire it, maybe we can have something to say together. The rest of the books I have to read can be given in a list if you want to participate, but I go at my own pace.

Oh this is by C.S. Lewis.

I have read up to chapter 12. Just feel like quote dropping a couple that stand out.

• Psyche, 85
  • Psyche, 86
  • Psyche, 87
  • Maia, 111

Psyche is happy to be going to the more real of her longing, whereas Maia is angry at the gods she feels build things up to let us down. Two very different perspectives. Which is delusional? The Fox loves them both regardless what they think, but they both suspect he is wrong there are no gods.

Exciting setup!

Very beautiful but never read it.The parts may be reflected in Look Homeward Angel and Kerouac’s The Town and The City.

But the excerpts really hit home and somehow transcended Fox’s divisiveness

I haven’t read the ones you reference so I can’t comment to them.

I think I oversimplified the Fox’s view. I think he is doubtful of the authority or motivation of powerful priests, politicians, etc.

He is not in any way divisive relationally, and (as I keep reading), admits he doesn’t know everything and may be wrong. If he is divisive, it is against making an error in judgment/reason/nature. Delighted to see the three spheres appear together on page 168.

both quotes from the queen

My favorite thing is that the main character is a woman, a badass, and unattractive.

I have read up to part two and just begun it and I’m not surprised that part one had a false ending. How else is she going to resolve her conflicts with the gods etc.? Of course I am assuming. But, it’s not like it’s the first time I’ve ever read CS Lewis.

But… who is who in the cave “paintings” stories… and how it relates to Maia’s actual life. I think I understand the metaphor for bearing of anguish (of each other’s burdens)—if there is more to it, it escapes me.

Maybe I am up too late. I’ll take another look tomorrow. I can see how her eyes are opened to her faults. Just unclear how she sees it in the paintings.

Her complaint reminds me of the book of Job married with A Grief Observed (C.S. Lewis wrote it after losing his wife).

Pretty sure “love” is the last word.

Reminds me of Levinas.

Oh yeah… the key passage that gives the book its title… and the cover of the book in my possession… prolly help decode what still isn’t registering. I’ll sleep on it.

I get it now. :slight_smile:

I guess some parting instances of talking to myself… I love how in hindsight you can see the god nudging throughout the story (the stroke from without). And I love how it contrasts love with craving. And I love The Fox.

And I love that someone read this before I did and referred to it a bunch of times before I even read it. Cry. Again. The sky fell today lol. Cry

C.S. Lewis y’ol son of a gun. Every time.

The answers bit at the end sort of reminds me of the ending of a beautiful mind :slight_smile:

Good stuff.

Love covers over a multitude of hate and fear. Poof! Like a disappearing act :wink:

“Remember, my son, that you used to have the good things in your lifetime, while Lazarus suffered the bad. Now he is being comforted here, while you are in agony.”

HERE. HERe. HEre. Here. here. her. he. h. .

! h! he! her! here! Here! HEre! HERe! HERE!