Trump enters the stage

POLITICO

IMPEACHMENT

Trump on path to acquittal despite stunning evidence
Rand Paul engineered a strategy that put all but six GOP senators on the record saying former President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial is unconstitutional.

Marco Rubio leaves impeachment trial
Sen. Marco Rubio leaves at the end of the second day of the second impeachment trial of Donald Trump on Wednesday. | Joshua Roberts/Pool via A

Rand Paul engineered a strategy that put all but six GOP senators on the record saying former President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial is unconstitutional. And even after visceral new footage of the Jan. 6 insurrection rattled fellow Republicans, he’s feeling pretty good about Trump’s whip count.

“There will be at least 44. Or more. I think we might get one or two back on acquittal,” Paul (R-Ky.) said in an interview. “Everybody objects to that violence. Everybody is horrified by that violence. But the question is: Did the president incite that?”

To Paul, the answer is clearly no. And interviews on Wednesday evening revealed that the raw emotions stirred up by the day’s never-before-seen footage of violent rioters ransacking the Capitol hadn’t moved Republicans any closer to voting to convict Trump on a charge of inciting the mob.

Most Republicans are publicly unshakable from the hard line they’ve taken on their party’s process argument: How could they convict on the merits after saying the Senate shouldn’t even hold the trial?

The dug-in GOP resistance to considering conviction illustrates the same phenomenon that has torn the party asunder for years under Trump: The former president’s power over the Republican base still eclipses his political toxicity for most members of his party.

The compelling presentation by House Democratic impeachment managers, which featured images, videos and audio clips that forced senators to relive the harrowing day, even handed several GOP senators a clear argument for acquitting the ex-president. The trial tests whether Trump incited the riot, Republicans said, not the widely acknowledged calamity that Jan. 6 became.

“This is not a vote on whether what happened that day was horrifying because it most certainly was,” said Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.). “This is not a vote on whether the president bears any responsibility, which I’ve said all along.”

Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.) said the impeachment managers took a “pretty polished approach.” But he concluded that they’re asking the Senate to provide a “solution that we just don’t believe we have available.”

“Their focus is on the actions of the day and they have still to reckon with the fact that most of us don’t believe we have the constitutional authority to impeach a private person,” said Rounds, who was just re-elected. “I don’t think they’re going to be able to overcome that based on the direction of their discussions today, as chilling as the events of Jan. 6 were.”

GOP senators went as far as to praise the House impeachment managers for delivering an effective and compelling case on the Senate floor Wednesday. Senate Minority Whip John Thune (R-S.D.) said they had connected the dots effectively.

But many in the GOP argued that the managers have not proved their incitement charge against the former president.

“We all knew the elements of the case coming here. Putting it on video and spending the time to accentuate it,” said Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.), who has all but ruled out voting to convict. “For any of us who don’t think the whole process is constitutional, it makes it difficult to go beyond that point.”

And there were moments of backlash against the impeachment managers, most notably on the presentation of a call that Trump accidentally placed to Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) when he was trying to reach Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.). Lee said in a brief interview that the presentation from Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.) “consisted of statements that I did not make,” and they were stricken from the record.

Sen. Mike Lee objects to House Impeachment managers using a telephone call Lee reportedly fielded from former President Donald Trump on the day of the Jan. 6 Capitol attack. | congress.gov via Getty Images

In recounting Trump’s actions as the insurrection unfolded, Cicilline said that Lee answered the phone and Trump was on the other line, and referred to him as “Tommy.” According to Cicilline, Lee then handed the phone to Tuberville. Trump subsequently requested that Tuberville “make additional objections to the certification process,” Cicilline said.

Tuberville said that he wished the presentation “had been correct.”

“I don’t know if you’ve ever talked to President Trump. You don’t get many words in, but, he didn’t get a chance to say a whole lot because I said ‘Mr. President, they just took the vice president out, I’ve got to go,’” Tuberville said in an interview.

The Republican stance perplexed Senate Democrats, who praised the House impeachment managers’ case against Trump.

“Watching the footage of how they treated the police officers was so much worse than anything I personally saw that day,” said Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.) “I don’t know how you could watch that and acquit this guy."

Securing a conviction is a steep uphill battle for the House managers, especially after the vast majority of the Senate GOP conference reaffirmed its view this week that putting a former president on trial is unconstitutional. It takes 67 votes to convict the former president — requiring 17 Republicans to cross party lines and vote against Trump — and Democrats would then move to bar him from running for office again.

Still, Democrats said more Republicans may be privately reconsidering their votes. Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) told reporters his conversations indicate more than six GOP senators may be weighing conviction, though that might be wishful thinking.

Trump’s defense team starts presenting its rebuttals on Friday. Some Republicans expected the team to contend that Democrats offered their own encouragement of violence by cheering on last summer’s protests across the country in the wake of George Floyd’s killing by police.

“If we’re going to put into context what was happening for months before the attack on the Capitol and what all kinds of political figures on the other side were saying about that, that would be one of the ways I’d respond," said Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), the No. 4 GOP leader.

Several Republicans are withholding judgment until hearing both sides — even those thought to be amenable to the managers’ case. The House managers will present again on Thursday, and they appear to be making in-roads with at least one senator who first found the trial unconstitutional in January.

“It was very powerful. It was of course more complete than what I saw, because it had videos from all over,” said Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.), who voted to uphold the trial’s constitutionality this week. “I cannot comment on how it addresses conviction because we have not heard from the other side.”

© 2021 POLITICO LLC

"fox8.com

Trump welcomes impeachment acquittal, says his movement ‘has only just begun’

fox8news and Associated Press
1 day ago

(WJW/AP) — Just after the Senate voted 57-43 to acquit former President Donald Trump on the charge of inciting an insurrection, Trump released a statement saying his movement “has only just begun.”

Senate acquits former President Donald Trump in second impeachment trial
Read the whole statement below:

I want to first thank my team of dedicated lawyers and others for their tireless work upholding justice and defending truth.

My deepest thanks as well to all of the United States Senators and Members of Congress who stood proudly for the Constitution we all revere and for the sacred legal principles at the heart of our country.

Our cherished Constitutional Republic was founded on the impartial rule of law, the indispensable safeguard for our liberties, our rights and our freedoms.

It is a sad commentary on our times that one political party in America is given a free pass to denigrate the rule of law, defame law enforcement, cheer mobs, excuse rioters, and transform justice into a tool of political vengeance, and persecute, blacklist, cancel and suppress all people and viewpoints with whom or which they disagree. I always have, and always will, be a champion for the unwavering rule of law, the heroes of law enforcement, and the right of Americans to peacefully and honorably debate the issues of the day without malice and without hate.

This has been yet another phase of the greatest witch hunt in the history of our Country. No president has ever gone through anything like it, and it continues because our opponents cannot forget the almost 75 million people, the highest number ever for a sitting president, who voted for us just a few short months ago.

I also want to convey my gratitude to the millions of decent, hardworking, law-abiding, God-and-Country loving citizens who have bravely supported these important principles in these very difficult and challenging times.

Our historic, patriotic and beautiful movement to Make America Great Again has only just begun. In the months ahead I have much to share with you, and I look forward to continuing our incredible journey together to achieve American greatness for all of our people. There has never been anything like it!

We have so much work ahead of us, and soon we will emerge with a vision for a bright, radiant, and limitless American future.

Together there is nothing we cannot accomplish.

We remain one People, one family, and one glorious nation under God, and it’s our responsibility to preserve this magnificent inheritance for our children and for generations of Americans to come.

May God bless all of you, and may God forever bless the United States of America.

Donald J. Trump
His son Donald Trump Jr. also weighed in on the Senate decision saying the following:

Barely a month since the deadly Jan. 6 riot that stunned the world, the Senate convened Saturday for a rare weekend session to deliver its verdict, voting while armed National Guard troops continued to stand their posts outside the iconic building.

The quick trial, the nation’s first of a former president, showed how perilously close the invaders had come to destroying the nation’s deep tradition of a peaceful transfer of presidential power after Trump had refused to concede the election. Rallying outside the White House, he unleashed a mob of supporters to “fight like hell” for him at the Capitol just as Congress was certify Democrat Joe Biden’s victory. As hundreds stormed the building, some in tactical gear engaging in bloody combat with police, lawmakers fled for their lives. Five people died.

7 Republicans voted to convict Trump at the Senate trial. This is the most impeachment defections ever from a president’s party.

This was Donald Trump’s first statement since the impeachment trial started this week."

( the Associated Press contributed to this report)

The world watches, stunned as Trump is cleared

Updated 1:57 PM EST, Sun February 14, 2021

Editor’s Note: (David A. Andelman, a contributor to CNN, twice winner of the Deadline Club Award, and executive director of The Red Lines Project, is the author of “A Red Line in the Sand: Diplomacy, Strategy, and the History of Wars That Might Still Happen” and host of its Evergreen podcast. He formerly was a correspondent for The New York Times and CBS News in Europe and Asia. Follow him on Twitter: @DavidAndelman. The views expressed in this commentary belong solely to the author. View more opinion at CNN.)

(CNN)The whole world watched the second impeachment of former US President Donald Trump and his acquittal. In many cases, if media coverage is an indication, the global audience paid rapt attention. The BBC was one of many outlets that carried the Senate proceedings live. France24 television broadcast much of the proceedings on their English and French services, with simultaneous translation into French, including the final vote and subsequent responses by Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer and Republican Mitch McConnell – both of whom condemned Trump’s actions, but with McConnell nonetheless voting to acquit the former President.

At the onset of the proceedings, the leading Paris daily newspaper Le Monde carried an enormous photo at the top of its front page of the House impeachment managers marching across the Capitol Rotunda to the Senate floor. The French publication then followed the proceedings closely, concluding within minutes of the final vote with the headline on its website: “Donald Trump acquitté à l’issue de son second procès en destitution.” (“Donald Trump acquitted at the end of his second impeachment trial.”)

The German national daily paper Süddeutsche Zeitung carried a headline, “Trump also acquitted in second impeachment proceedings,” on its website above a large photo of a grimly smiling Trump holding up a USA Today frontpage from his first impeachment, last year, with the headline, “Acquitted”. In Nigeria, the Tribune quickly led its website with the headline: “Breaking: With 57-43 Votes, US Senate Quashes Impeachment, Acquits Ex-President Donald Trump.”

It’s likely that much (but not all) of the world has watched not out of pure curiosity or voyeurism but out of horror and fear, that Trump’s actions and the fact that only seven of the 50 Republican senators were willing to vote for his conviction – too few to cross the two-thirds majority threshold needed to convict – have only accelerated the dimming of democracy and freedom America represented. Indeed, just as President Joe Biden was announcing he would sanction Myanmar’s military leaders for seizing power by force of arms, the House impeachment managers were describing in brutal detail how then-President Trump sought to strongarm himself into a second term he’d failed to win at the ballot box.

The one thing impeachment accomplished
The one thing impeachment accomplished
The great fear in many quarters abroad is that Trump’s budding autocracy was not simply a brutal interregnum, and that Biden’s administration is but a brief interlude before America plunges again into the deep spiral that has marked the last four years. Although UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson claimed Sunday that US democracy remains “strong” in spite of the impeachment “kerfuffle,” Biden himself has warned that democracy is “fragile.”

And as German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas pointed out on Jan. 6, “The enemies of democracy will rejoice at these inconceivable images from Washington DC. Seditious words turn to violent actions…Contempt for democratic institutions has devastating effects.” In some even quite liberal quarters abroad Trump’s acquittal now simply reinforces a fundamental belief that America has strayed off course.

The Senate’s vote “speaks to something increasingly problematic about the American political system’s ultimate ability to curtail presidential abuses of power: for many the impeachment process no longer presents much of a threat or deterrent to bad, or even illegal, behavior by the most powerful figure in the land,” noted The Guardian newspaper.

This was no triumph for Trump
This was no triumph for Trump
Certainly, the Biden administration is doing its best to reassure the world that the American system can and will be made to work. As House Democrats were presenting images that were horrifying much of the world, President Biden was dialing up China’s Xi Jinping, reading him the riot act as Trump never did – warning him that America would no longer ignore gross human rights abuses from Xinjiang to Hong Kong, nor its military’s threats from the South China Sea to Taiwan.

Still, Patrice de Beer, a former editor of Le Monde, said he believes that the world’s view of America has only been reinforced by the chilling images displayed by House managers in the impeachment trial. “I don’t think that this has changed our vision of the US as an unpredictable and violent country,” he told me via email from Paris. “But we hope Biden has put a stop to this. For now.”

At the same time, Claude Corpechot, a consultant in “big data” and professor of global management at the Paris Dauphine and Paris V universities, observed that while “Trump did not change my perception of America and Americans, he showed all of us the two faces of America, while many until now had seen only one.”

Throughout the week, the world’s press has been fixed on the vivid images streaming across televisions on every continent. In Hong Kong, the South China Morning Post led with the news, quoting Trump saying that the trial had been “the greatest witch hunt in the history of our country.” And Saudi Arabia’s Arab News reported the acquittal, adding Trump’s comment that “his movement had ‘only just begun.’”

The conclusion from French journalist de Beer was the kind of deeply felt plea that seems to be all but universal across broad swaths of the world. “Good luck [now] muzzling Trump and his Trumpets.”

© 2021 Cable News Network. A Warner Media Company. All Rights Reserved.

As it appears world wide, as a schizophrenic country with two faces:

youtu.be/w05w1XbZTG8

Opinion, Analysis, Essays

POLITICS & POLICY

Trump’s impeachment trial shows why Presidents Day should only honor Washington
The Senate spectacle is the latest reason why we should return this holiday to a celebration of the father of our country, not his mostly middling successors.

Image: President Donald J. Trump
President Donald Trump gestures as he speaks in front of a painting of George Washington during a “Pledge to America’s Workers” event in the East Room of the White House on July 19, 2018.Jabin Botsford / The Washington

Feb. 15, 2021, 11:12 AM EST
By Robert Schlesinger, author, “White House Ghosts: Presidents and Their Speechwriters”
We interrupt your regularly scheduled Presidents Day weekend sales for the impeachment trial of our newest ex-president.

There’s something ludicrous about celebrating our chief executives after the world’s greatest deliberative body just pondered whether to ban Donald Trump from ever again becoming president, over a charge that he incited a riot in order to stay in that office.

That “Presidents Day” is not actually the name of the federal holiday we observe on the third Monday in February only makes the situation more bizarre. As the Christian Science Monitor has observed, the proper answer to the query “When is Presidents Day this year?” is “never.”

Within a couple of decades, “Washington’s Birthday” morphed into the featureless holiday-that-launched-a-thousand-sales, Presidents Day.

In fact, on Monday we technically only commemorate George Washington’s birthday — which is Feb. 22, a week after the 2021 federal holiday for Washington’s Birthday. If you don’t believe me, you can check the Office of Personnel Management’s official listing of federal holidays, which denotes that it is designated such in no less than “section 6103(a) of title 5 of the United States Code.”

“Though other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names,” the site adds rather punctiliously, “it is our policy to always refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.”

But perhaps OPM is on to something, and the sad spectacle just concluded in the Senate is just the latest reason why we should return this holiday to its roots and celebrate the father of our country rather than his mostly middling successors.

Related

Trump’s response to getting Covid makes you wonder if he believes his own lies
How did a presidential pastiche supersede the singular Washington?

The first president’s birthday was observed as a federal holiday starting in the 1880s with a law signed by the immortal Rutherford B. Hayes, whose victory in a contested Electoral College vote many Americans likely heard about in great detail last November. Just shy of a century later — as the historian C.L. Arbelbide has recounted in exhaustive detail — Congress enacted a law designating that certain federal holidays would be observed exclusively on Mondays so as to create long weekends. It was a boon to retailers who could build sales around them and also to manufacturers, who no longer needed to worry about floating days off interrupting production.

The celebration of Washington’s birth was thus moved to the third Monday in February — which, as it happens, can never fall on the 22nd of the month because of math. The sponsor of the Mondays-only holiday bill was from Illinois and thus undoubtedly didn’t mind that the presidential holiday would fall closer to the Feb. 12 birthdate of the Prairie State’s favorite adopted son, Abraham Lincoln (an anniversary then widely celebrated in Northern states).

Related

Here’s what the founders actually thought about masks and quarantines
The same august member had unsuccessfully pushed to formally change the holiday’s name from Washington’s Birthday to “President’s Day.”

He failed in part because critics of separating Washington’s birthday from his birthdate presciently foresaw that the two great presidents’ celebrations would merge in the public consciousness, diminishing both men.

They were right: Within a couple of decades, “Washington’s Birthday” morphed into the featureless holiday-that-launched-a-thousand-sales, Presidents Day, while Lincoln’s is now largely neglected. A comparison of how often people search Google for “Presidents Day” vs. “Washington’s Birthday” illustrates how completely our first president has been subsumed into the humdrum whole. The third Monday in February has become the holiday equivalent of a presidential participation trophy.

Related

Republicans don’t want to work with Biden. They don’t even want to work in a democracy.
(A popular misconception has Richard Nixon proclaiming “Presidents Day” as a “holiday set aside to honor all presidents, even myself” — but while Washington allegedly could not tell a lie, the internet can and, in this case, does.)

It is no mistake that presidents generally became the presumed object of celebration during an era in which the office has grown largely without check or balance both in terms of public perception and actual power.

“It speaks to is the extent to which the presidency has become such a dominant political institution in our country,” the distinguished presidential historian Robert Dallek told me. “Anyone who becomes president can be folded into that name and association with it. … It speaks volumes about our political culture.”

OPINION
Only one Founding Father would be worth listening to about the coronavirus
That trend of a more imperious presidency, and the American people’s acceptance of it, has dramatically accelerated in recent decades. The road from a disgraced Nixon preposterously telling David Frost that “when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal” to Trump’s lawyers essentially making that case in court has been harrowing. And a polarized and tribalized Congress has done little to check or balance its own slow slide into irrelevance, either abdicating responsibility through gridlock or, when the president’s party is in charge, supinely acceding to its own marginalization. (See, again, Trump and congressional Republicans — even now.)

Both the office of the president and the holiday of the presidents need to be right-sized. One small way to start doing both would be to put Washington back at the center of his own birthday party. A renewed focus on his life might serve as a useful reminder that the presidency was not intended to be the dominant, nigh-monarchical office it has become.

The Constitutional Convention, over which Washington presided, produced an executive whose power was to be deliberately circumscribed by the other two coequal branches, while doing the same to them. Finding that balance was considered critical. “The first man put at the helm would be a good one,” Benjamin Franklin said, referring to Washington. “Nobody knows what sort may come afterwards.”

Well, we now do know: forgettable mediocrities occasionally distinguished by greatness (Lincoln, for example) and malevolence (Trump). We are fortunate that the first man “at the helm” was conscious of the standard he set in office, whether in abjuring fancy titles (Vice President John Adams floated “His Elective Majesty” and “His Highness, the President of the United States of America and the Protector of Their Liberties”) or voluntarily returning to private life after two terms in office, for example. He was aware that he “walk[ed] on untrodden ground,” as he often put it.

A renewed focus on his life might serve as a useful reminder that the presidency was not intended to be the dominant, nigh-monarchical office it has become.

We would do well to study his steps.

The Senate’s sad spectacle is one more reason to change our current ‘Presidents Day’
It’s worth noting, too, that we can do so while acknowledging that pre-eminence is not the same as perfection. A man of his times, Washington is tainted by our country’s original sin: slavery. He owned other human beings as chattel. But we can celebrate him in all of his dimensions, acknowledging both his greatness and his great flaws. Even our best Americans can exhibit some of our worst national traits. That contrast can serve as a reminder of both how far we have had to come as a country and the magnificence to which we should all aspire.

And no — contrary to right-wing hysteria — we’re not going to impeach Washington. Let’s just wish him a happy birthday.

© 2020 NBC UNIVERSAL

What you could see and hear in the Senate as Republicans broke wi…
OPINION
Block Trump from office with the 14th Amendment’s aiding an insurrection exclusion
Republicans subscribed to Trump like he was a cable package, and paid an extraordinary price to be the governing party. They can bring an end to this soon.

CHRIS DEATON | OPINION CONTRIBUTOR | 34 minutes ago

False rumors swirled that President Trump invoked the Insurrection Act after riots at the U.S. Capitol. Here’s what you should know about the act.
USA TODAY
Taking Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell at his word, the buck for former President Donald Trump’s incitement of the U.S. Capitol mob should stop somewhere — just not in his house.

“He didn’t get away with anything yet,” McConnell said on Saturday evening, after enough Republican senators voted to acquit the former president of an impeachment charge. “We have a criminal justice system in this country. We have civil litigation.”

Stipulated. But we still have a Congress, too.

McConnell made the case that Trump was guilty of an offense punishable by more than a Senate floor speech. The upshot of the top Senate Republican’s remarks is that he believes Trump is the but-for cause of the Jan. 6 insurrection, whose participants assaulted the Capitol “in his name,” carried “his banners,” hung “his flags” and screamed “their loyalty — to him.” His assessment was plain: “There’s no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day.”

Options beyond censure, conviction
The question was left open, though, of who is responsible for penalizing the provocation. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi dismissed the idea of a congressional censure: “We censure people for using stationery for the wrong purpose. We don’t censure people for inciting insurrection that kills people in the Capitol.”

McConnell’s suggestion that district attorneys’ offices could take it from here if they choose is accurate — but it also reveals his perspective that Congress’ work is finished in the meantime.

It shouldn’t be. By the GOP’s timid standards, McConnell’s comments and the surprising seven Republican votes for conviction were an authorization for use of political force against the former president. Now, more than at any point in the previous four years, there appears to be a window for bipartisan accountability on Capitol Hill.

If Congress lacked accountability mechanisms other than impeachment or censure, it’d be one thing. But it’s not wanting for options.

President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence with leading Senate Republicans in 2019 at the U.S. Capitol.
ALEX BRANDON/AP
One of them is enforcement of Section Three of the 14th Amendment, which states that no state or federal office holder “who, having previously taken an oath … to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.”

In other words: No second chance to place your hand on the Bible and repeat after the judge if you were an insurrectionist the first go-round. This novel idea was floated by Sens. Susan Collins, R-Maine, and Tim Kaine, D-Va. It merits widespread consideration now, given how it meshes with the emerging Republican position on Trump’s culpability for Jan. 6 and Congress’ capability for responding to it.

The idea moots three Republican concerns: procedural, constitutional and political.

First, is there a procedural problem? No. Forty-four Senate Republicans voted that Trump’s most recent impeachment trial was unconstitutional, but a Section Three vote is entirely different. There is no constitutional roadblock to taking up congressional enforcement of a constitutional provision itself.

Acquitted: Shared identity and fear of Trump kept most Republicans in line

Second, is the idea constitutionally unassailable? Yes. Section Three, about aiding an insurrection, relates to a judgment of Congress, not a criminal court. The House and Senate could pass a resolution that states the facts about Trump’s conduct leading up to and on Jan. 6, for example, and concludes that Section Three disqualifies him from holding office in the future.

The implications of this would be political, not criminal. It would allow state officials to call into question the legitimacy of a hypothetical Trump campaign or complicate his ballot access. Congress could approve a similar measure that permits the attorney general to render an opinion about an office seeker’s eligibility under Section Three. These are not judicial branch judgments originating from the legislative branch, and do not create constitutional problems.

Trump is not a cable package
And finally, is this politically feasible? It is. Congress already voted on language to bar Trump from future office. Such a section was included in the House’s impeachment article.

Seventeen Republicans voted in favor of it: 10 in the House; seven in the Senate. That should represent a floor, not a ceiling, for Section Three legislation. Only three more Senate Republicans would need to support the measure for the chamber to surpass a required 60-vote threshold to consider legislation of this type.

Congressional action on Section Three is the natural endpoint of Republicans’ distinguishing between Trump’s legacy and Trump the person. For the entirety of his presidential term, most Republicans subscribed to him as if he were a cable package. Many just wanted the tax reform. But to remain in his good graces, they supported him not only for signing legislation.

Trump’s two impeachments: Republicans can’t be trusted with our democracy

They also signed up for the international and science bundle. They defended him through the Russia investigation and Ukraine impeachment, the bullying of governors and pushing of pseudo-medicine during the coronavirus pandemic, “the tweets” and “very fine people” and, ultimately, “stop the steal.” This was the extraordinary price for Republican governance.

Those days can end soon. As presidential hopeful and former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley said to Politico: “Take the good that he built, leave the bad that he did, and get back to a place where we can be a good, valuable, effective party.”

Congressional Republicans should make the distinction now — and not just “leave” the bad but punish it. “Good” political parties keep their houses in order.

© Copyright Gannett 2021

<<<<>>>>>>>><><>>>>>>>>><><>><><>>>><<<><>>>>>>><>>>>>>>
<<>><>>>>>>><>>>><>><>>><<>>
<><><<<<><><<<

The Guardian - Back to home

Supporters wait for Donald Trump to drive by in West Palm Beach, Florida on 15 February 2021.
Show caption

Trump remains 2024 candidate of choice for most Republicans, poll shows
59% of Republican voters said they wanted Trump to play prominent role in party, but tens of thousands left after Capitol riot

Tue 16 Feb 2021 10.01 EST

If the 2024 Republican presidential primary were held today, Donald Trump would be the clear favorite to win big. That was the message from a Politico-Morning Consult poll released on Tuesday, three days after Trump’s acquittal in his second impeachment trial, on a charge of inciting the insurrection at the US Capitol on 6 January.

Wall Street Journal warns Republicans: ‘Trump won’t win another election’
Among Republican voters, 59% said they wanted Trump to play a prominent role in their party, up a whopping 18 points from the last such poll, taken in the aftermath of the Capitol riot. A slightly lower number, 54%, said they would back Trump in the primary.

Tens of thousands of Republicans left the party after the Capitol insurrection, and a majority of Americans have told other pollsters they would like to see Trump banished from politics.

Though the 45th president will be 78 by election day 2024, he will be able to run again if he chooses, having escaped being barred from office after a 57-43 Senate vote to convict – with seven Republican defections but 10 votes short of the majority needed.

Mike Pence’s life was threatened by Trump supporters at the Capitol, as the vice-president presided over the ratification of electoral college results confirming Trump’s defeat by Joe Biden. He placed second in the Politico-Morning Consult poll, with 12%.

Name recognition is a powerful force so far out from the contest concerned. Donald Trump Jr shared third place, with 6%, with Nikki Haley. The former South Carolina governor and United Nations ambassador has tried to distance herself from Trump since the Capitol riot.

“We need to acknowledge he let us down,” Haley told Politico shortly after the attack. “He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again.”

She also said Trump was “not going to run for federal office again”. Trump has not committed either way. After his acquittal, he told supporters: “Soon we will emerge with a vision for a bright, radiant and limitless American future.”

In a message seen by the Guardian on Monday, one former Trump White House insider said a run was “gonna happen … or he will be drafted”.

Mitt Romney, a figure from the Republican past as the 2012 nominee but now a Utah senator who has twice voted to convict Trump on impeachment charges, scored 4% in the new poll. Ted Cruz of Texas, one of the senators who backed Trump’s attempt to overturn his election defeat, scored 3%. Josh Hawley of Missouri, the other prominent Republican in objections to election results, was in a pack of names lower even than that.

The battle for the soul of the party is on. On Monday, Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell followed an editorial in the Wall Street Journal which said Trump would not win another national election with a column of his own.

McConnell restated his argument, made in a Senate speech in which he otherwise excoriated Trump, that Trump’s acquittal was a matter of constitutional law. Scholars, and the Senate twice, have rejected the argument that Trump could not be tried because he had left office.

McConnell has also made clear that he will oppose pro-Trump candidates seeking Republican nominations in the 2022 midterms, if he thinks they would damage chances of beating a Democrat

© 2021 Guardian News & Media Limited

Impeachment is over. The 2020 election? Not yet
Donald Trump rips Mitch McConnell as each seeks to exert leadership after impeachment trial

Moments after voting to acquit Donald Trump of the impeachment charge, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Trump was “practically and morally responsible” for the deadly Capitol riot. Still, he said conviction would be unconstitutional. (Feb. 13)
AP
WASHINGTON – Seeking to keep control of a divided Republican Party, Donald Trump on Tuesday attacked Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell – the GOP’s highest-ranking elected official – after comments he made about Trump’s culpability for the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

“The Republican Party can never again be respected or strong with political ‘leaders’ like Sen. Mitch McConnell at its helm,” Trump said in a written statement put out by a political action committee called the “Save America PAC.”

In a stark statement that laid bare the party’s fractiousness over Trump, the ex-president described McConnell as a “hack” who will not be able to lead the Republican Party back to victory. Division within the party has been on full display since the Capitol riots, after which 10 House Republicans voted to impeach him and seven Senate Republicans voted to convict him at his impeachment trial Saturday, when he was acquitted.

The statement came three days after McConnell criticized Trump over the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, even as he voted to acquit the former president at the impeachment trial. McConnell said he did so because he did not think it was constitutional to hold an impeachment trial of a former president.

The Senate Republican leader did, however, hold Trump responsible for the attack, saying Trump’s false claims of fraud in his election loss to Joe Biden inspired extremist followers to commit violence.

“This was an intensifying crescendo of conspiracy theories, orchestrated by an outgoing president who seemed determined to either overturn the voters’ decisions or else torch our institutions on the way out,” McConnell said on Saturday.

Trump has not spoken on camera since leaving the White House. His office has put out written statements under his name, as it did after the Senate acquittal vote on Saturday.

Trump thanked Republicans who supported him and, suggesting a future run, said the political movement he began with his 2016 election has “only just begun.”

So far, at least, Trump is winning the internal battle with Republicans who want him to go away. A Morning Consult/Politico poll released Tuesday said that “a majority of Republican voters (54 percent) said they would support Trump in a hypothetical 2024 presidential primary election.”

Republicans who back McConnell said Trump is the one who caused the GOP to lose control of Congress and the White House during last year’s elections.

“I love Trump warning about the demise of a party that just lost the House, Senate, and White House under him,” tweeted Brendan Buck, a former spokesman for GOP House speakers John Boehner and Paul Ryan.

Buck later added: “I am so here for this conflict and so Team Mitch.”

Then-President Donald Trump and then-Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in 2017.
CHIP SOMODEVILLA/GETTY IMAGES
More: Mitch McConnell votes to acquit but says Trump’s actions were a ‘disgraceful dereliction of duty’

More: Republican leader Mitch McConnell: Attack at the Capitol was ‘provoked by the president’

In his written statement on Tuesday, Trump did not mention McConnell’s impeachment comments. He instead accused McConnell of practicing “business as usual” politics, and failing to stand up to Chinese trade practices.

Trump also blamed McConnell for Republicans losing control of the Senate, something for which McConnell holds Trump responsible. The Senate Republican leader has suggested that the party needs to move past Trump as it tries to regain control of the House and Senate in the 2022 elections.

Trump has vowed to support primary challengers to Republican lawmakers who either supported impeachment or refused to help him overturn the election. The latter group includes state officials like Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, who Trump criticized as “inept” in his statement.

More: A bloody insurrection, a deadly pandemic: Historians weigh in on Trump’s legacy after his acquittal

More: ‘Tribalism is a hell of a drug.’ Trump impeachment trial reopens GOP battle lines even as he is acquitted

Trump also plans to get involved in the congressional elections, and may seek to win the presidency again in 2024.

“Mitch is a dour, sullen, and unsmiling political hack,” Trump said, “and if Republican Senators are going to stay with him, they will not win again.”

Seven Republicans were among the 57 senators who found Trump guilty of inciting the riot, but conviction required 67 votes, two-thirds of the Senate.

If the Senate had voted to convict, it could also have disqualified Trump from holding office in the future, nullifying a 2024 presidential run.

As the Democratic-led House moved to impeach Trump in mid-January, McConnell at one point said he had not decided on the president’s guilt. After his acquittal vote, McConnell made clear he based his decision on the belief that the trial was unconstitutional, not Trump’s guilt.

“Former President Trump’s actions preceding the riot were a disgraceful dereliction of duty,” McConnell said in his speech.

© Copyright Gannett 2021

Impeachment is over. The 2020 election? Not yet
Donald Trump rips Mitch McConnell as each seeks to exert leadership after impeachment trial
DAVID JACKSON | USA TODAY | 7 hours ago

Moments after voting to acquit Donald Trump of the impeachment charge, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Trump was “practically and morally responsible” for the deadly Capitol riot. Still, he said conviction would be unconstitutional.
AP

WASHINGTON – Seeking to keep control of a divided Republican Party, Donald Trump on Tuesday attacked Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell – the GOP’s highest-ranking elected official – after comments he made about Trump’s culpability for the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

“The Republican Party can never again be respected or strong with political ‘leaders’ like Sen. Mitch McConnell at its helm,” Trump said in a statement put out by a political action committee called the Save America PAC.

In stark terms that laid bare the party’s fractiousness over Trump, the ex-president described McConnell as a “hack” who will not be able to lead Republicans back to victory. Division within the party has been on full display since the Capitol riots, after which 10 House Republicans voted to impeach him and seven Senate Republicans voted to convict him at his impeachment trial Saturday, when he was acquitted.

The statement came three days after McConnell criticized Trump over the attack on the Capitol, though he voted to acquit at the impeachment trial. McConnell said he did so because he did not think it was constitutional to hold an impeachment trial of a former president.

The Senate Republican leader held Trump responsible for the attack, saying his false claims of fraud in the election he lost to Joe Biden inspired extremist followers to commit violence.

“This was an intensifying crescendo of conspiracy theories, orchestrated by an outgoing president who seemed determined to either overturn the voters’ decisions or else torch our institutions on the way out,” McConnell said Saturday.

Trump has not spoken on camera since leaving the White House. His office has put out statements under his name, as it did after the Senate acquittal vote Saturday.

Trump thanked Republicans who supported him and suggesting a future run, he said the political movement that started with his 2016 election has “only just begun.”

Trump is winning the internal battle against Republicans who want him to go away. A Morning Consult/Politico poll released Tuesday said, “A majority of Republican voters (54 percent) said they would support Trump in a hypothetical 2024 presidential primary election.”

Republicans who back McConnell said Trump caused the GOP to lose control of Congress and the White House during last year’s elections.

“I love Trump warning about the demise of a party that just lost the House, Senate, and White House under him,” tweeted Brendan Buck, a former spokesman for GOP House Speakers John Boehner and Paul Ryan.

Buck said, “I am so here for this conflict and so Team Mitch.”

While Donald Trump was in office, he and Republican leader Mitch McConnell were allies for the most part. After election losses, the Capitol riot and the former president’s impeachment, their relationship has soured.
CHIP SOMODEVILLA/GETTY IMAGES
More: Mitch McConnell votes to acquit but says Trump’s actions were a ‘disgraceful dereliction of duty’

Republican leader Mitch McConnell: Attack at the Capitol was ‘provoked by the president’

In his statement Tuesday, Trump did not mention McConnell’s impeachment comments. He accused the Kentucky senator of practicing “business as usual” politics and failing to stand up to Chinese trade practices.

Trump blamed McConnell for Republicans losing control of the Senate, something for which McConnell holds Trump responsible. The Senate Republican leader suggested the party needs to move past Trump as it tries to regain control of the House and Senate in the 2022 elections.

Trump vowed to support primary challengers to Republican lawmakers who supported impeachment or refused to help him overturn the election. The latter group includes Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, whom Trump criticized as “inept” in his statement.

A bloody insurrection, a deadly pandemic: Historians weigh in on Trump’s legacy after his acquittal

‘Tribalism is a hell of a drug.’ Trump impeachment trial reopens GOP battle lines even as he is acquitted

Trump plans to get involved in the congressional elections and may seek the presidency again in 2024.

“Mitch is a dour, sullen, and unsmiling political hack,” Trump said, “and if Republican Senators are going to stay with him, they will not win again.”

Seven Republicans were among the 57 senators who found Trump guilty of inciting the riot, but conviction required 67 votes, two-thirds of the Senate.

If the Senate had voted to convict, it could have disqualified Trump from holding office, nullifying a 2024 presidential run.

As the Democratic-led House moved to impeach Trump in mid-January, McConnell said he had not decided on the president’s guilt. After his acquittal vote, McConnell made clear he based his decision on the belief that the trial was unconstitutional, not Trump’s guilt.

“Former President Trump’s actions preceding the riot were a disgraceful dereliction of duty,” McConnell said."

© Copyright Gannett 2021

Some Republican bigwigs say MCconnell is dead in the water without Trump, who now wants him out.

NewsWorldAmericasUS politics

Fauci on the differences between Trump and Biden administrations
Dr Fauci says Trump did ‘terrible things’ to him and now has to live under armed security
The doctor said he has been living under the protection of armed security since last April

The Independent employs over 100 journalists around the world to bring you news you can trust. To support truly independent journalism, please consider making a contribution or taking a subscription.

Donald Trump would do “terrible things” anytime Dr Anthony Fauci disagreed with him publicly, the doctor revealed in a recently released interview.

The Mr Trump’s antagonistic behaviour towards Dr Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, inspired his supporters to do the same. Now, Dr Fauci has to live under the care of armed guards since last April.

During an interview with The Telegraph, Dr Fauci - who became a household name thanks to his press conference appearances in the early days of the coronavirus’s spread throughout the US, often times looking dismayed by Mr Trump’s comments - said the former president was vindictive and used his loyalists in other government offices to undermine him.

“Like he allowed [White House trade adviser] Peter Navarro to write an editorial in USA Today saying that almost everything I’ve ever said was wrong,” the doctor said. “He allowed the communications department of the White House to send out a list to all of the media, all of the networks, all of the cables, all of the print press, about all of the mistakes I’ve made, which was absolute nonsense because there were no mistakes.”

Read more
Dr Fauci says Trump gave up fighting the pandemic once he lost the election
Dr Fauci laughs after learning the meaning of new dating term ‘Fauci-ing’
Fauci awarded $1m Israeli prize for public health career and ‘speaking truth to power’ during pandemic
Mr Trump’s frustration with Dr Fauci quickly became apparent as the doctor regularly contradicted him and quickly became liberal Americans’ preferred source of information regarding the pandemic. Dr Fauci became a minor celebrity, while Mr Trump faced mountain of criticism for his botched response to the pandemic.

Eventually, Mr Trump sidelined Dr Fauci, barring him from further public appearances, and replaced him with Dr Scott Atlas, who was loyal to the president.

Mr Atlas had no expertise in infectious diseases and often parroted whatever talking point Mr Trump was pushing at the time.

your@email.com
Please enter your email addressPlease enter a valid email addressPlease enter a valid email address

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent.
Read our privacy notice

Dr Fauci - who has worked with six presidents - said Mr Trump was not the first president he struggled to work alongside.

In the 1980’s, Dr Fauci was serving under former President Ronald Reagan, and recalled the Republican’s reluctance to take the AIDS crisis ravaging the LBGT community seriously.

Even still, Dr Fauci felt his relationship with that president was significantly better than the one he shared with Mr Trump, claiming Mr Reagan “never did anything to obstruct what I was trying to do.”

He said Mr Trump’s reliance on bunk “science” and insistence on repeating conspiracy theories directly undermined his attempts to let facts guide the country’s coronavirus response.

“I was trying to let science guide our policy, but [Mr Trump] was putting as much stock in anecdotal things that turned out not to be true as he was in what scientists like myself were saying,” Dr Fauci said. “That caused unnecessary and uncomfortable conflict where I had to essentially correct what he was saying, and put me at great odds with his people.”

Mr Trump became fed up with Dr Fauci questioning and correcting him, and disparaged him both privately and publicly.

“People are tired of hearing Fauci and all these idiots,” Mr Trump said during a call with his staffers last year. “Fauci is a disaster.

The president also complained about the positive media attention Dr Fauci received.

Near the end of his time in office, Mr Trump - who was still convinced he would have a second term - openly pondered firing Dr Fauci.

Dr Fauci admits he worried about contracting Covid-19 in Trump White House
Double-masking: Should you wear two face masks to protect against Covid? Dr Fauci suggests it ‘makes sense’
The fight against vaccine hesitancy is more important than ever
Mr Trump’s former strategist and ally, Steve Bannon, agreed with the idea and wanted it to be taken an extreme step further; he called for the doctor’s head to be posted on a spike outside the White House.

“Now I actually want to go a step farther, but I realize the president is a kind-hearted man and a good man,” Mr Bannon said. “I’d actually like to go back to the old times of Tudor England, I’d put the heads on pikes, right, I’d put them at the two corners of the White House as a warning to federal bureaucrats. You either get with the program or you’re gone – time to stop playing games.”

Dr Fauci called the comments “very unusual.”

Merrick Garland: What to know about Biden’s Attorney General pick
Trump’s fate hangs over attorney general nominee Merrick Garland’s confirmation hearing
KEVIN JOHNSON AND BART JANSEN | USA TODAY | 2 hours ago

Merrick Garland, Biden’s attorney general pick, has a long history with the Justice Department. Here are three things to know about Judge Garland.
USA TODAY
When Merrick Garland accepted President Joe Biden’s nomination to serve as attorney general, the federal appeals court judge said he looked forward to a Justice Department “homecoming” where he first began in the Carter administration.

Yet any celebration marking his return to Main Justice – 24 years after departing for the federal bench – could be short-lived.

Not since Watergate has any attorney general nominee faced the kinds of questions awaiting Garland as he prepares to take his seat Monday for a confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Opener: What Garland plans to say at anticipated confirmation hearing

DOJ: The Justice Department urgently needs a reset. Enter Merrick Garland. Is he up for it?

The rolling crisis that defined the Justice Department and its relationship with former President Donald Trump, who repeatedly sought to bend the agency to serve his political interests, is now just one of many challenges facing the nominee.

Attorney General nominee Merrick Garland speaks during an event with President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris at The Queen theater in Wilmington on Thursday, Jan. 7, 2021.
Attorney General nominee Merrick Garland speaks during an event with President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris at The Queen theater in Wilmington on Thursday, Jan. 7, 2021.
SUSAN WALSH, AP
Last month, a resurgent domestic extremist movement was thrust into public view during the deadly Capitol siege. The stunning assault has launched federal law enforcement authorities on one of the most far-reaching investigations in history while raising deeper concerns about the government’s capacity to contain the threat.

Conspiracy case: 6 more associated with Oath Keepers charged

As senators weigh confirmation, Garland is certain to be confronted with pointed inquiries about whether Justice should investigate, and potentially prosecute Trump, for inciting the Jan. 6 riots that left five dead, including a Capitol police officer.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., all but threw Trump’s fate to the Justice Department last week when the former president was acquitted by the Senate at his impeachment trial.

“There’s no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day,” McConnell said following the Senate trial. “No question about it … He didn’t get away with anything, yet. We still have a criminal justice system in this country. We still have civil litigation and former presidents are not immune from being held accountable by either one.”

More: Donald Trump rips Mitch McConnell as each seeks to exert leadership after impeachment trial

While there is little open opposition to Garland’s nomination, a striking departure from 2016 when President Barack Obama’s pick for the Supreme Court was blocked by a Republican-controlled Senate, the contentious nature of the challenges before him now make Monday’s hearing perhaps the most anticipated of any Biden Cabinet nominee.

What to know: Who is Merrick Garland, the attorney general nominee?

Should DOJ pick up where Trump’s Senate impeachment left off?
At virtually every opportunity since the close of Trump’s impeachment trial in the Senate, the Biden administration has deflected questions about the former president’s potential criminal vulnerability for inciting the Jan. 6 riots.

More: Trump impeachment trial vote acquits him in historic second impeachment proceeding

“We’re doing something new here,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said last week, adding that an “independent Justice Department (would) determine what any path forward and any investigation would look like.”

Aside from the not-so-subtle dig at the Trump White House, which routinely intervened in some of the most politically sensitive matters at Justice, Psaki effectively put the department — and Garland — in the hot seat.

Pending confirmation, it now will be largely Garland’s call on a criminal investigation and the resulting shadow Trump may cast on the new administration.

As much as Biden has sought to rid Justice of the kind of politicization that marked the Trump Justice Department — from the dismissal of FBI Director James Comey for his management of the Russia investigation to dropping the prosecution of former national security adviser Michael Flynn — any decision involving Trump is fraught with political implications.

William Yeomans, a former Justice official whose service spanned the administrations of Jimmy Carter and George W. Bush, said that if the facts ultimately lead to Trump, the former president “must be held accountable.”

House prosecutors ended their arguments Feb. 11, the third day of former President Donald Trump’s historic second impeachment trial.
House prosecutors ended their arguments Feb. 11, the third day of former President Donald Trump’s historic second impeachment trial.
GETTY
“It has been and must remain a fundamental tenet of our adherence to the rule of law that we do not tolerate the use of the prosecution power to target individuals simply because they are political opponents,” Yeomans said. “That generally means we must proceed with care in prosecuting a former president, particularly one of a different political party. But, it does not mean that a former president whose crimes are uncovered by a fair and full investigation should escape accountability.”

Alberto Gonzales, who served as attorney general in the George W. Bush administration and faced difficult questions about the administration’s torture policies during his Senate confirmation hearing, said Garland should not commit “one way or the other” on the possible legal jeopardy facing Trump.

“Given the political nature of the case and the public interest, he may commit or at least say he would consider appointing a career prosecutor to make an initial assessment (on) whether a formal investigation should be commenced,” said Gonzales, one of two Republican attorneys general who have announced their support for Garland.

More: Gonzales, 3 other ex-attorneys general sign letter of support for Garland

At the same time, Gonzales said Garland “may be pressured by Republicans to formally recuse himself from the final decision whether to prosecute.”

“I am not aware of any legitimate reason he would be required to do so under DOJ regulations if he wants to make this decision,” Gonzales said. “There is no financial, political or personal reason I know of to recuse. But he will be pressed about this.”

Can DOJ rebuild White House firewall?
On the campaign trail, Biden said the Justice Department had been transformed into the “president’s private law firm” under Trump, who casually penetrated the institutional firewall with a well aimed tweet.

“I want to be clear to those who lead this department (about) who you will serve,” Biden said when introducing Garland as his nominee Jan. 7. “You won’t work for me. You are not the president or the vice president’s lawyer. Your loyalty is not to me. It’s to the law, the Constitution, the people of this nation, to guarantee justice.”

Merrick Garland: Biden’s pick for attorney general
View | 9 Photos
Garland has taken his lead from Biden, drawing stark parallels to the post-Watergate era when Justice faced a similar challenge to separate itself from the raw political interests of a president.

While accepting the nomination, he invoked the name of Edward Levi, the revered former attorney general nominated by President Gerald Ford to restore the department’s credibility following the Watergate scandal that led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon.

“As Ed Levi said at his own swearing in, ‘Nothing can more weaken the quality of life, or more imperil the realization of the goals we all hold dear, than our failure to make clear by words and deed that our law is not the instrument of partisan purpose,’” Garland said, quoting the former attorney general.

If confirmed, Garland said it would be “my mission … to reaffirm those policies as the principles upon which the department operates.”

Hunter Biden and Durham probes continue
A test of that commitment looms with the continuing federal tax investigation involving the president’s son, Hunter Biden, and the pending inquiry into the origins of the Russian investigation led by Connecticut federal prosecutor John Durham, appointed by former Trump Attorney General William Barr.

President-elect Joe Biden’s son was in the spotlight during the presidential campaign for his business dealings with Ukraine and China.
President-elect Joe Biden’s son was in the spotlight during the presidential campaign for his business dealings with Ukraine and China.
USA TODAY
Before departing in December, Barr resisted Trump’s calls to appoint a special prosecutor in the Biden case.

At the time, Barr said the investigation was being handled “responsibly and professionally” by federal prosecutors in Delaware.

Although all presidentially appointed federal prosecutors are expected to submit their resignations during transitions to new administrations, the Biden administration said the Trump-appointed U.S. attorney leading the Hunter Biden inquiry and Durham would remain to complete their work.

“These were decisions that were made in order to fulfill (Biden’s) promise of maintaining independence and ensuring that he sent that message and every action that was taken,” Psaki said earlier this month.

The enemy within: Is domestic terror law now necessary?
The Capitol assault was still fresh when a long-simmering debate began anew: Is federal law enforcement adequately equipped to confront the resurgent domestic terror threat.

The question, which has prompted new calls for equal penalties for both domestic and international terror offenses, is certain to spill into the Senate hearing for Garland, who during his previous Justice tenure, oversaw the investigation of the Oklahoma City bombing — the most deadly domestic terror attack in U.S. history.

In remarks prepared for delivery at Monday’s Senate hearing, Garland cast the fight against extremism as “central” to the department’s mission.

“We have to do something,” House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said this month during the first congressional examination of the domestic threat following the Jan. 6 attack. Thompson has since sued Trump and Giuliani.

Trump supporters clash with police and security forces storm the US Capitol in Washington D.C on January 6, 2021.
Trump supporters clash with police and security forces storm the US Capitol in Washington D.C on January 6, 2021.
ROBERTO SCHMIDT, AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES
More: After massacres and thwarted plots, federal authorities confront limits in fighting domestic terror

For some, including Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, a former chairman of the Homeland panel, the remedies should include legislation that treats domestic terrorists no differently than their international counter-parts.

During the Homeland panel hearing, McCaul said the Capitol attack “cries out” for such action.

“I think it sends a strong message about where Congress is that we treat domestic terrorism on an equal plane as international terrorism,” McCaul said.

U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Austin, shown at an August 2019 meeting, said this week an Austin company is making progress toward a COVID-19 treatment.
RICARDO B. BRAZZIELL/AMERICAN-STATESMAN FILE
More: Domestic extremism has become ‘mainstream,’ could threaten American life for 20 years

While domestic terror is codified in federal law as an effort to “intimidate or coerce” a civilian population or government, there are no corresponding criminal penalties to back it. That has forced law enforcement to head off potential threats with the tools at their disposal, including leaning on the public to provide tips and charging suspects with violating weapons laws, hate crimes or illegal threats in the absence of a domestic terrorism charge.

The government has moved to thwart right-wing extremism when it appeared to be on the precipice of violence, though authorities face significant limits in the form of free speech rights.

And some fear that a revamped domestic terrorism law raises the prospect of formally designating groups as domestic terror organizations, similar to ISIS or al-Qaeda, merely because their messages may be repulsive.

Brian Jenkins, a longtime terror analyst and senior adviser at the Rand Corp., said any effort to single out specific domestic groups may only deepen the country’s partisan divide.

“While (a domestic terror law) looks like an attractive option now, it may not be easily applied,” Jenkins said.

Jenkins said Garland, whose prosecutorial experience is steeped in domestic terrorism, may be uniquely suited to confront the current threat environment.

Deputy U.S. Attorney Merrick Garland, left, and interim U.S. Attorney Patrick Ryan answer questions during a news conference May 18, 1995, in El Reno, Okla. Garland, a Harvard lawyer, was the Justice Department’s point man on the Oklahoma City bombing investigation.
DAVID LONGSTREATH/AP
“This is someone who oversaw the investigation of Timothy McVeigh who was charged, convicted and ultimately executed for carrying out the worst domestic attack in U.S. history,” Jenkins said, referring to the Oklahoma City bomber. “And Garland did that without a domestic terrorism law.”

Are troubled police agencies back in DOJ’s crosshairs?
Garland’s nomination follows a summer of racial justice protests, prompted by deaths and injuries of Black men and women during police encounters.

While the incidents highlighted troubling law enforcement tactics, they also called attention to the Trump Justice Department’s departure from enforcement strategies that had sought to hold police agencies accountable for misconduct.

The Trump administration launched one investigation into a law enforcement agency during its four years, compared to 25 inquiries into “patterns and practices” of conduct in police agencies during eight years of the Obama administration.

Civil rights advocates have argued that Trump’s deference to law enforcement has seriously undercut confidence in policing in Black communities, and Biden has vowed new scrutiny of police tactics led by a re-invigorated Justice Department Civil Rights Division.

If confirmed, it would be up to Garland, however, to set the tone on how aggressively to pursue those priorities.

“That mission remains urgent because we do not yet have equal justice,” Garland’s prepared remarks state. “Communities of color and other minorities still face discrimination in housing, education, employment, and the criminal justice system; and bear the brunt of the harm caused by pandemic, pollution, and climate change.”

More: 12 charts that show how racial disparities persist

Paul Butler, a Georgetown University law professor who prosecuted public corruption at the Justice Department, said Biden recognizes that policing problems are worse than “a few bad apples.”

“I think that will be a new and unique opportunity for the attorney general because no president has described bias in the terms that Biden has used, including frequently referencing white supremacy and systemic racism,” Butler said. “The reason that that’s a challenge is that systemic racism is built into operations and policies and even law. It’s daunting.”

In December, Biden joined an online meeting with seven civil rights group leaders to hash out the path forward.

During that meeting, Kristen Clarke, president of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, told Biden the administration needed to undo “extensive damage” in enforcing federal civil rights laws.

Vice President-elect Kamala Harris (L) looks on as Kristen Clarke delivers remarks after being nominated to be civil rights division assistant attorney general by President-elect Joe Biden at The Queen theater January 07, 2021 in Wilmington, Delaware.
CHIP SOMODEVILLA, GETTY IMAGES
“We need this administration to make fighting white supremacy, confronting racial violence, addressing police violence and tackling rampant voter suppression topline priorities,” Clarke said at the time.

More than a month after that meeting, Biden nominated Clarke to serve as an assistant attorney general in charge of Justice’s Civil Rights Division. Biden also nominated another leader on that call, Vanita Gupta, CEO of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, to become associate attorney general.

Since then, Gupta, the acting Civil Rights chief in the Obama administration, has become a target of the conservative Judicial Crisis Network, which has sought to brand her as a proponent for defunding police.

Vanita Gupta is President-elect Biden’s nominee for Associate Attorney General.
ANDREW HARNIK, AP
But Michael Waldman, president of the Brennan Center for Justice, called Gupta a “gifted leader” for her service in the Obama administration, when she pioneered accountability for abusive police departments.

She also fought to protect voting rights at the leadership conference, for “elections that are free, fair, secure and safe,” Waldman said.

Biden, meanwhile, has made no secret of his regard for Justice’s civil rights mission.

“The Civil Rights Division represents the moral center of the Department of Justice and the heart of that fundamental American ideal that we’re all created equal and deserve to be treated equally,” Biden said when introducing his team of Justice nominees last month.

In preparing for the hearing, Garland noted in his written remarks that Senators had asked why he would agree to leave a lifetime judicial appointment to return to Justice.

“I have told you that I love being a judge. I have also told you that this is an important time for me to step forward because of my deep respect for the Department of Justice and its critical role in ensuring the Rule of Law.”

© Copyright Gannett 2021

Trump’s fate hangs over attorney general nominee Merrick Garland’s confirmation hearing
KEVIN JOHNSON AND BART JANSEN | USA TODAY | 2 hours ago

Merrick Garland, Biden’s attorney general pick, has a long history with the Justice Department. Here are three things to know about Judge Garland.
USA TODAY
When Merrick Garland accepted President Joe Biden’s nomination to serve as attorney general, the federal appeals court judge said he looked forward to a Justice Department “homecoming” where he first began in the Carter administration.

Yet any celebration marking his return to Main Justice – 24 years after departing for the federal bench – could be short-lived.

Not since Watergate has any attorney general nominee faced the kinds of questions awaiting Garland as he prepares to take his seat Monday for a confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

DOJ: The Justice Department urgently needs a reset. Enter Merrick Garland. Is he up for it?

The rolling crisis that defined the Justice Department and its relationship with former President Donald Trump, who repeatedly sought to bend the agency to serve his political interests, is now just one of many challenges facing the nominee.

SUSAN WALSH, AP
Last month, a resurgent domestic extremist movement was thrust into public view during the deadly Capitol siege. The stunning assault has launched federal law enforcement authorities on one of the most far-reaching investigations in history while raising deeper concerns about the government’s capacity to contain the threat.

As senators weigh confirmation, Garland is certain to be confronted with pointed inquiries about whether Justice should investigate, and potentially prosecute Trump, for inciting the Jan. 6 riots that left five dead, including a Capitol police officer.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., all but threw Trump’s fate to the Justice Department last week when the former president was acquitted by the Senate at his impeachment trial.

“There’s no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day,” McConnell said following the Senate trial. “No question about it … He didn’t get away with anything, yet. We still have a criminal justice system in this country. We still have civil litigation and former presidents are not immune from being held accountable by either one.”

More: Donald Trump rips Mitch McConnell as each seeks to exert leadership after impeachment trial

While there is little open opposition to Garland’s nomination, a striking departure from 2016 when President Barack Obama’s pick for the Supreme Court was blocked by a Republican-controlled Senate, the contentious nature of the challenges before him now make Monday’s hearing perhaps the most anticipated of any Biden Cabinet nominee.

At virtually every opportunity since the close of Trump’s impeachment trial in the Senate, the Biden administration has deflected questions about the former president’s potential criminal vulnerability for inciting the Jan. 6 riots.

More: Trump impeachment trial vote acquits him in historic second impeachment proceeding

“We’re doing something new here,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said last week, adding that an “independent Justice Department (would) determine what any path forward and any investigation would look like.”

Aside from the not-so-subtle dig at the Trump White House, which routinely intervened in some of the most politically sensitive matters at Justice, Psaki effectively put the department — and Garland — in the hot seat.

Pending confirmation, it now will be largely Garland’s call on a criminal investigation and the resulting shadow Trump may cast on the new administration.

As much as Biden has sought to rid Justice of the kind of politicization that marked the Trump Justice Department — from the dismissal of FBI Director James Comey for his management of the Russia investigation to dropping the prosecution of former national security adviser Michael Flynn — any decision involving Trump is fraught with political implications.

William Yeomans, a former Justice official whose service spanned the administrations of Jimmy Carter and George W. Bush, said that if the facts ultimately lead to Trump, the former president “must be held accountable.”

GETTY
“It has been and must remain a fundamental tenet of our adherence to the rule of law that we do not tolerate the use of the prosecution power to target individuals simply because they are political opponents,” Yeomans said. “That generally means we must proceed with care in prosecuting a former president, particularly one of a different political party. But, it does not mean that a former president whose crimes are uncovered by a fair and full investigation should escape accountability.”

Alberto Gonzales, who served as attorney general in the George W. Bush administration and faced difficult questions about the administration’s torture policies during his Senate confirmation hearing, said Garland should not commit “one way or the other” on the possible legal jeopardy facing Trump.

“Given the political nature of the case and the public interest, he may commit or at least say he would consider appointing a career prosecutor to make an initial assessment (on) whether a formal investigation should be commenced,” said Gonzales, one of two Republican attorneys general who have announced their support for Garland.

At the same time, Gonzales said Garland “may be pressured by Republicans to formally recuse himself from the final decision whether to prosecute.”

“I am not aware of any legitimate reason he would be required to do so under DOJ regulations if he wants to make this decision,” Gonzales said. “There is no financial, political or personal reason I know of to recuse. But he will be pressed about this.”

On the campaign trail, Biden said the Justice Department had been transformed into the “president’s private law firm” under Trump, who casually penetrated the institutional firewall with a well aimed tweet.

“I want to be clear to those who lead this department (about) who you will serve,” Biden said when introducing Garland as his nominee Jan. 7. “You won’t work for me. You are not the president or the vice president’s lawyer. Your loyalty is not to me. It’s to the law, the Constitution, the people of this nation, to guarantee justice.”

View | 9 Photos
Garland has taken his lead from Biden, drawing stark parallels to the post-Watergate era when Justice faced a similar challenge to separate itself from the raw political interests of a president.

While accepting the nomination, he invoked the name of Edward Levi, the revered former attorney general nominated by President Gerald Ford to restore the department’s credibility following the Watergate scandal that led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon.

“As Ed Levi said at his own swearing in, ‘Nothing can more weaken the quality of life, or more imperil the realization of the goals we all hold dear, than our failure to make clear by words and deed that our law is not the instrument of partisan purpose,’” Garland said, quoting the former attorney general.

If confirmed, Garland said it would be “my mission … to reaffirm those policies as the principles upon which the department operates.”

A test of that commitment looms with the continuing federal tax investigation involving the president’s son, Hunter Biden, and the pending inquiry into the origins of the Russian investigation led by Connecticut federal prosecutor John Durham, appointed by former Trump Attorney General William Barr.

USA TODAY
Before departing in December, Barr resisted Trump’s calls to appoint a special prosecutor in the Biden case.

At the time, Barr said the investigation was being handled “responsibly and professionally” by federal prosecutors in Delaware.

Although all presidentially appointed federal prosecutors are expected to submit their resignations during transitions to new administrations, the Biden administration said the Trump-appointed U.S. attorney leading the Hunter Biden inquiry and Durham would remain to complete their work.

“These were decisions that were made in order to fulfill (Biden’s) promise of maintaining independence and ensuring that he sent that message and every action that was taken,” Psaki said earlier this month.

The Capitol assault was still fresh when a long-simmering debate began anew: Is federal law enforcement adequately equipped to confront the resurgent domestic terror threat.

The question, which has prompted new calls for equal penalties for both domestic and international terror offenses, is certain to spill into the Senate hearing for Garland, who during his previous Justice tenure, oversaw the investigation of the Oklahoma City bombing — the most deadly domestic terror attack in U.S. history.

In remarks prepared for delivery at Monday’s Senate hearing, Garland cast the fight against extremism as “central” to the department’s mission.

“We have to do something,” House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said this month during the first congressional examination of the domestic threat following the Jan. 6 attack. Thompson has since sued Trump and Giuliani.

More: After massacres and thwarted plots, federal authorities confront limits in fighting domestic terror

For some, including Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, a former chairman of the Homeland panel, the remedies should include legislation that treats domestic terrorists no differently than their international counter-parts.

During the Homeland panel hearing, McCaul said the Capitol attack “cries out” for such action.

“I think it sends a strong message about where Congress is that we treat domestic terrorism on an equal plane as international terrorism,” McCaul said.

U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Austin, shown at an August 2019 meeting, said this week an Austin company is making progress toward a COVID-19 treatment.

More: Domestic extremism has become ‘mainstream,’ could threaten American life for 20 years

While domestic terror is codified in federal law as an effort to “intimidate or coerce” a civilian population or government, there are no corresponding criminal penalties to back it. That has forced law enforcement to head off potential threats with the tools at their disposal, including leaning on the public to provide tips and charging suspects with violating weapons laws, hate crimes or illegal threats in the absence of a domestic terrorism charge.

The government has moved to thwart right-wing extremism when it appeared to be on the precipice of violence, though authorities face significant limits in the form of free speech rights.

And some fear that a revamped domestic terrorism law raises the prospect of formally designating groups as domestic terror organizations, similar to ISIS or al-Qaeda, merely because their messages may be repulsive.

Brian Jenkins, a longtime terror analyst and senior adviser at the Rand Corp., said any effort to single out specific domestic groups may only deepen the country’s partisan divide.

“While (a domestic terror law) looks like an attractive option now, it may not be easily applied,” Jenkins said.

Jenkins said Garland, whose prosecutorial experience is steeped in domestic terrorism, may be uniquely suited to confront the current threat environment.

Deputy U.S. Attorney Merrick Garland, left, and interim U.S. Attorney Patrick Ryan answer questions during a news conference May 18, 1995, in El Reno, Okla. Garland, a Harvard lawyer, was the Justice Department’s point man on the Oklahoma City bombing investigation.
DAVID LONGSTREATH/AP
“This is someone who oversaw the investigation of Timothy McVeigh who was charged, convicted and ultimately executed for carrying out the worst domestic attack in U.S. history,” Jenkins said, referring to the Oklahoma City bomber. “And Garland did that without a domestic terrorism law.”

Garland’s nomination follows a summer of racial justice protests, prompted by deaths and injuries of Black men and women during police encounters.

While the incidents highlighted troubling law enforcement tactics, they also called attention to the Trump Justice Department’s departure from enforcement strategies that had sought to hold police agencies accountable for misconduct.

The Trump administration launched one investigation into a law enforcement agency during its four years, compared to 25 inquiries into “patterns and practices” of conduct in police agencies during eight years of the Obama administration.

Civil rights advocates have argued that Trump’s deference to law enforcement has seriously undercut confidence in policing in Black communities, and Biden has vowed new scrutiny of police tactics led by a re-invigorated Justice Department Civil Rights Division.

If confirmed, it would be up to Garland, however, to set the tone on how aggressively to pursue those priorities.

“That mission remains urgent because we do not yet have equal justice,” Garland’s prepared remarks state. “Communities of color and other minorities still face discrimination in housing, education, employment, and the criminal justice system; and bear the brunt of the harm caused by pandemic, pollution, and climate change.”

Paul Butler, a Georgetown University law professor who prosecuted public corruption at the Justice Department, said Biden recognizes that policing problems are worse than “a few bad apples.”

“I think that will be a new and unique opportunity for the attorney general because no president has described bias in the terms that Biden has used, including frequently referencing white supremacy and systemic racism,” Butler said. “The reason that that’s a challenge is that systemic racism is built into operations and policies and even law. It’s daunting.”

In December, Biden joined an online meeting with seven civil rights group leaders to hash out the path forward.

During that meeting, Kristen Clarke, president of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, told Biden the administration needed to undo “extensive damage” in enforcing federal civil rights laws.

Vice President-elect Kamala Harris (L) looks on as Kristen Clarke delivers remarks after being nominated to be civil rights division assistant attorney general by President-elect Joe Biden at The Queen theater January 07, 2021 in Wilmington, Delaware.
“We need this administration to make fighting white supremacy, confronting racial violence, addressing police violence and tackling rampant voter suppression topline priorities,” Clarke said at the time.

More than a month after that meeting, Biden nominated Clarke to serve as an assistant attorney general in charge of Justice’s Civil Rights Division. Biden also nominated another leader on that call, Vanita Gupta, CEO of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, to become associate attorney general.

Since then, Gupta, the acting Civil Rights chief in the Obama administration, has become a target of the conservative Judicial Crisis Network, which has sought to brand her as a proponent for defunding police.

But Michael Waldman, president of the Brennan Center for Justice, called Gupta a “gifted leader” for her service in the Obama administration, when she pioneered accountability for abusive police departments.

She also fought to protect voting rights at the leadership conference, for “elections that are free, fair, secure and safe,” Waldman said.

Biden, meanwhile, has made no secret of his regard for Justice’s civil rights mission.

“The Civil Rights Division represents the moral center of the Department of Justice and the heart of that fundamental American ideal that we’re all created equal and deserve to be treated equally,” Biden said when introducing his team of Justice nominees last month.

In preparing for the hearing, Garland noted in his written remarks that Senators had asked why he would agree to leave a lifetime judicial appointment to return to Justice.

“I have told you that I love being a judge. I have also told you that this is an important time for me to step forward because of my deep respect for the Department of Justice and its critical role in ensuring the Rule of Law.”

© Copyright Gannett 2021

USA TODAY

SUSAN WALSH, AP

GETTY

View | 9 Photos

USA TODAY

RICARDO B. BRAZZIELL/AMERICAN-STATESMAN FILE

DAVID LONGSTREATH/AP

ANDREW HARNIK, AP

© Copyright Gannett 2021

“Count me out,” Graham (R-S.C.) said in an impassioned speech on the Senate floor, adding that he was sad to see his journey with Trump end this way. In an interview two days later, Graham said “he’d never been so humiliated and embarrassed for the country” and spoke in palpable frustration over how his longtime ally handled the riot.

Support our journalism. Subscribe today.
Just weeks later, he is singing a different tune. Graham is set to visit the former president’s gilded Mar-a-Lago Club on Sunday to spend two days golfing and dining with Trump. He has spoken to the former president nearly daily since Jan. 6 — more frequently than any of his Republican colleagues in the Senate — and served as an informal adviser to Trump’s defense team during his Senate impeachment trial this month.

Meanwhile, Graham said he has not spoken with President Biden, a longtime friend from the Senate, since his Jan. 20 inauguration.

A group of Trump supporters confronted Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) at Reagan National Airport on Jan. 8 after he condemned the violence at the Capitol. (Reuters)
Graham’s post-presidential embrace of Trump — which puts him squarely at odds with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — is the latest twist in his on-again, off-again relationship with a man he once called a “kook” and warned could destroy the party. It comes after the four-term senator said he reviewed polling in South Carolina and across the country that shows Trump’s enduring strength among Republicans, even after the Jan. 6 insurrection that resulted in five deaths.

“If he ran, it would be his nomination for the having,” Graham said of Trump in an interview. “I don’t know what he wants to do. Because he was successful for conservatism and people appreciate his fighting spirit, he’s going to dominate the party for years to come. The way I look at it, there is no way we can achieve our goals without Trump.”

Graham is now positioning himself as a leader of the pro-Trump wing of a party that is increasingly divided about how to reckon with the divisive 45th president.

In Graham’s view, embracing Trump is simply practical politics. To critics, he is showing a willingness to tolerate Trump’s attacks on democracy in exchange for proximity to power.

In the wake of the Capitol attack and the GOP’s losses of the House, Senate and White House, some in the Republican Party’s upper echelon are calling for a different path forward, worried that Trump’s toxic brand will prevent the party from winning general elections in 2022 and 2024.

Former United Nations ambassador Nikki Haley has said the party needs to turn the page on Trump, who she said has “fallen so far.” After voting to acquit Trump in the impeachment trial, McConnell delivered a scathing speech, calling him “practically and morally responsible” for the violence at the Capitol — and he has told allies he plans to never speak with Trump again.

Some are trying to pave a path in the middle: Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel is scheduled to visit Mar-a-Lago next week to meet with Trump, even as she vows to stay neutral in the internecine warring, according to a person familiar with her plans, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the private meeting. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy also met with Trump at Mar-a-Lago, in part to encourage Trump not to attack any incumbent House Republicans.

Graham walks out of a meeting room for Trump’s defense team on the fourth day of the Senate impeachment trial. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)
But Graham is all in. While he told reporters a day after the Capitol attack that “the president needs to understand that his actions were the problem, not the solution,” he now says he was talking narrowly about what happened Jan. 6. His “count me out” remarks were a reference to attempts to challenge the 2020 election results, he says — not a statement that he was finished with Trump.

Two days after the insurrection, he met with Trump for four hours to discuss quietly finishing his term and the potential of impeachment, among other topics. He then flew with him to Texas the next week and called fellow senators, urging them not to support a move to convict Trump in a trial and bar him from future office. In private and public, he has taken on Republicans who are critical of Trump, including McConnell, who he has pushed to change course.

“He doesn’t speak for most Republicans when it comes to the comments he made about Trump,” Graham said of McConnell’s speech after the impeachment trial. (He added that McConnell deserves credit on other fronts, such as furthering the appointment of conservative judges.)

On Feb. 13, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said former president Trump could still be held accountable within the criminal justice system. (The Washington Post)
A spokesman for McConnell did not respond to a request for comment.

Longtime GOP operatives and people who know both men have said Graham is simply seeking to stay relevant and likes being close to powerful people.

Matt Moore, a prominent South Carolina political consultant who worked for Graham in his 2020 reelection campaign and once chaired the state party, said the explanation for Graham’s posture is simple: he wants to align himself with the party’s most popular figure.

After previously facing criticism in his home state for not being conservative enough, Graham was reelected last year by double digits after his strong embrace of Trump, who romped to victory in South Carolina.

And Graham, more than anything, according to both allies and critics, wants to be as close to the action as possible.

“It’s smart politics,” Moore said. “Republican voters love President Trump. He wants to have a seat at the table than not. He knows a smart bet when he sees it.”

Graham is also well aware that those who cross Trump pay the price with his supporters. Two days after his “count me out” speech, Graham was accosted by pro-Trump supporters who denounced him as a “traitor” at Washington’s Reagan National Airport. This week, Haley’s Facebook page was inundated with thousands of commenters attacking her for criticizing Trump. The former president rejected her request for a meeting, a Trump aide said. And party officials in Kentucky have denounced McConnell and called for his resignation.

Trump-McConnell clash threatens to settle into a cold war as GOP eyes midterms

Graham has disappointed those in South Carolina who preferred the more moderate Graham — the one who was closely allied with Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who died in 2018, and at one point worked on a deal with President Barack Obama to cut carbon emissions that ultimately fell apart.

His critics say they remember a Graham who despised Trump and what Trump stood for — and was not so craven, in their view. One longtime McCain confidant said Graham is no longer in touch with many of his old friends.

Amanda Loveday, a former executive director of the South Carolina Democratic Party who helped run a Biden super PAC in 2020, said it was frustrating to watch Graham continue to prop up Trump.

“Like a lot of others, I have voted for him,” she said. “Everyone in South Carolina used to think he was the most reasonable man in Washington, and that has changed. Now people think he has tied himself to a horse that is unexplainable. There really is no explanation to it. He has the power to tell the Republican Party that they’re moving on.”

One Biden ally, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe a private conversation, said Biden asked last fall “what had happened to Lindsey.” The longtime former senator from Delaware, who once regarded Graham as a friend, was “shocked” by some of Graham’s comments during the campaign.

The White House declined to comment.

In an interview, Graham said he still planned to negotiate policy with Biden at the right time, and would like to work with him on an infrastructure deal.

“Joe is a fine man,” he said. “There will be a day for that.”

Graham took a very different stance toward Trump when the real estate developer was running for president in 2016. The senator regularly questioned his fitness to lead and said the Republican Party deserved to be destroyed if it selected Trump as the nominee. At one point, Graham called on Trump to “stop being a jackass,” prompting Trump to taunt him at a rally and read Graham’s cellphone number out loud.

But Graham said that once Trump was elected, he wanted to help him be successful — and has grown to like him.

Some former Trump aides and GOP strategists say Graham likes the stardom of being around Trump. Even Trump has remarked to allies that he is surprised at Graham’s approach after their brutal 2016 encounters, and former Trump aides said Graham was always angling to get on the golf course with the president.

Trump shakes hands with Graham during a November 2019 event about judicial confirmations in the White House. (Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
Jason Miller, a spokesman for the former president, declined to comment, other than to say that the two men have a “very friendly” relationship.

In Graham’s telling, he spends time with Trump because “I genuinely like his company.”

“During the primary, I ran out of bad things to say about him. It’s an odd thing that we wound up where we did,” he said, adding: “I had more access to him than any and all presidents combined. He’s a good listener, believe it or not.”

Nowadays, he said he is driven simply by what is best for the GOP, which he says has a “conundrum” on its hands.

“You look at the polling, it shows he dominates the Republican Party, but that a majority of the general population wanted to convict him,” Graham said. “From November 3rd to January 6th he took a giant step backwards, but he had a consequential presidency. His policies are going to stand the test of time. If President Trump continues to be sort of disciplined and talks about policy, some of those personal issues will begin to lessen.”

Trump is expected to speak at the conservative conference called CPAC in Florida for his first post-presidential address, an aide said. His speech will focus on the future of the Republican Party and immigration, the aide said.

During the impeachment trial, Graham emerged as Trump’s top ally in the Senate. He regularly huddled with the lawyers, giving the team feedback from the Senate conference and proposing arguments that might keep certain Republican senators from voting to convict, and calling Trump sometimes multiple times a day, according to Trump advisers.

“He made me feel comfortable,” said David Schoen, one of Trump’s defense attorneys. “He said, ‘Don’t be nervous.’ He was very friendly the entire time.”

Graham’s post-election call with Raffensperger will be scrutinized in Georgia probe, person familiar with inquiry says

Trump initially hired another team of South Carolina lawyers upon Graham’s recommendation but split with them days before the trial. Graham said he wasn’t bothered by the abrupt change.

“Not at all,” he said. “There were too many cooks in the kitchen.”

Now, Graham says, he is intent on talking to Trump about helping the GOP win the Senate and House in 2022. Before heading to Mar-a-Lago this weekend, Graham said he was in Arizona to get an update on the border wall with Mexico, hoping to make one of Trump’s signature issues a 2022 priority.

Still, even as he touted Trump’s sway, Graham acknowledged that the party needs to expand its reach — a tacit acknowledgment of how the former president has polarized the Republican brand.

He said he planned to talk with Trump about how he can help make Republicans more electable, ticking off the very demographic groups alienated by the former president.

“Trump has got to up his game. The Republican Party has to up their game. But I like the way we’re headed,” Graham said. “We’re becoming the working-class party, and his populism is helping us. We just need to get suburban women back. What hurt us was style more than policy. Too much drama. Too much over-the-top. We’ve got to get the independents back.”

© 1996-2021 The Washington Post

Supreme Court allows release of Trump tax returns

Updated 10:29 AM ET, Mon February 22, 2021
article video
Supreme Court allows release of Trump tax returns What you need to know
The Supreme Court cleared the way for a New York prosecutor to obtain former President Trump’s tax returns.
The documents will be subject to grand jury secrecy rules that restrict their public release.
The ruling deals a massive loss to Trump who has fiercely fought to shield his financial papers from prosecutors.
Our live coverage has ended. Read the latest on the Supreme Court case here.
2:11 p.m. ET, February 22, 2021
Trump slams SCOTUS decision on his tax returns
From CNN’s Ariane de Vogue
Former President Trump has released a statement responding to the Supreme Court’s decision on releasing his tax returns to a New York prosecutors.
“The Supreme Court never should have let this ‘fishing expedition’ happen, but they did,” Trump said in the statement.

The former President went on to call the decision “all Democrat-inspired.”

“This is something which has never happened to a President before, it is all Democrat-inspired in a totally Democrat location, New York City and State, completely controlled and dominated by a heavily reported enemy of mine, Governor Andrew Cuomo,” Trump continued.

More on today’s ruling: The Supreme Court’s decision is a bitter loss for Trump, even if the tax records are shielded from public disclosure, after he consistently argued that the subpoena issued by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance was overbroad and issued in bad faith.
It means that the grand jury investigation into alleged hush money payments and other issues will no longer be hampered by Trump’s fight to keep the documents secret.

The ruling was issued without comment or noted dissent.
Vance celebrated the order, saying in a tweet, “The work continues.”

12:01 p.m. ET, February 22, 2021

Trump’s accounting firm says they’re “committed to fulfilling” legal obligations
Mazars, Trump’s accounting firm, reacted in a statement to today’s Supreme Court ruling, saying it is “committed to fulfilling all of our professional and legal obligations.”

The company added: “Due to our industry’s professional obligations Mazars cannot discuss any clients, or the nature of our services we provide for any client, in a public forum without client consent or as required by law.”

Following today’s Supreme Court ruling, although Trump’s personal lawyers may continue to fight their appeal in the case, the fact that the documents will be released by Mazars, effectively ends the dispute.
The subpoenas span documents from January 2011 to August 2019, including Trump’s tax returns, from Mazars. The documents relate to the Trump Organization’s employment of Trump’s former lawyer, Michael Cohen, and hush money payment Cohen allegedly made to two woman who claimed to have had extramarital affairs with Trump.

11:23 a.m. ET, February 22, 2021

These are the Trump financial documents that Manhattan District Attorney Vance will get to see
From CNN’s Ariane de Vogue and Kara Scannell
Today’s Supreme Court ruling means that the grand jury investigation into alleged hush money payments and other issues will no longer be hampered by former President Trump’s fight to keep the documents secret.
The documents, however, will be subject to grand jury secrecy rules that restrict their public release.

The subpoenas span documents from January 2011 to August 2019, including Trump’s tax returns, from his long time accounting firm, Mazars. The documents relate to the Trump Organization’s employment of Trump’s former lawyer, Michael Cohen and hush money payment Cohen allegedly made to two woman who claimed to have had extramarital affairs with Trump.

Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance’s office is investigating whether the Trump Organization violated state laws and is looking into the legality of tax deductions, including from conservation easements and consulting fees the company took, as well as what the Trump Organization told lenders and tax authorities about the value of its assets.

Vance’s investigation started its investigation in earnest in August 2019, initially looking into the hush-money payments Cohen facilitated to silence two women’s claims that they had affairs with Trump. The former President has denied the affairs.

Vance’s office has said the records are crucial to the investigation, in part because of the statute of limitations for the potential crimes they are investigating.

10:37 a.m. ET, February 22, 2021

The events that led to today’s ruling
Today’s Supreme Court ruling to clear the way for a New York prosecutor to obtain former President Trump’s tax returns is the culmination of an ongoing battle between the Manhattan DA’s office and the former President.
Here’s a look back at the events that took place before today’s decision:

Last July, the Supreme Court, voting 7-2, rejected Trump’s broad claims of immunity from a state criminal subpoena seeking his tax returns and said that as president he was not entitled to any kind of heightened standard unavailable to ordinary citizens.
The justices sent the case back to the lower court so that the President could make more targeted objections regarding the scope of the subpoena.
In October, a federal appeals court said “there is nothing to suggest that these are anything but run-of-the-mill documents typically relevant to a grand jury investigation into possible financial or corporate misconduct.”
Trump’s personal lawyers then took the case back to the Supreme Court, urging the justices to put the lower court ruling on hold while the justices considered whether to take up the appeal.
10:17 a.m. ET, February 22, 2021
Manhattan District Attorney responds to Supreme Court order: “The work continues”
Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance released the following statement Monday in response to the US Supreme Court order in Trump v. Vance:

“The work continues,” the statement read.

More on today’s ruling: The Supreme Court decision is a bitter loss for Trump, even if the tax records are shielded from public disclosure, after he consistently argued that the subpoena issued by Vance was overbroad and issued in bad faith.

Vance tweeted his statement earlier today:
10:23 a.m. ET, February 22, 2021
What you need to know about the Supreme Court’s ruling on Trump’s tax returns
The Supreme Court cleared the way for a New York prosecutor to obtain former President Trump’s tax returns, dealing a massive loss to Trump who has fiercely fought to shield his financial papers from prosecutors.
The ruling is a bitter loss for Trump, even if the tax records are shielded from public disclosure, after he consistently argued that the subpoena issued by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance was overbroad and issued in bad faith.

What this means for Trump: The grand jury investigation into alleged hush money payments and other issues will no longer be hampered by Trump’s fight to keep the documents secret. The documents will be subject to grand jury secrecy rules that restrict their public release.The ruling was issued without comment or dissent.
Some background: Last July, the Supreme Court, voting 7-2, rejected the Trump’s broad claims of immunity from a state criminal subpoena seeking his tax returns and said that as president he was not entitled to any kind of heightened standard unavailable to ordinary citizens. The justices sent the case back to the lower court so that the President could make more targeted objections regarding the scope of the subpoena.

© 2021 Cable News Network. A Warner Media Company. All Rights Reserved

<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<>>>>>><<<<<>>>>>

Merrick Garland:

His attorney general confirmation is a foregone conclusion taken from the last two hours of hearings.

On particular to the above shift to prosecution of violation of tax laws, his statement of an objective, non partisan process was quite appearent and honest, and his plea for across the board faith in his honesty seemed like an unnecessary invocation
In fact , it appeared, that even Senator Cruise was satisfied with his given answer.

The question was about the equal responsibility to prosecute politically favored donations, such as IT&T case under the Nixon debacle and yet to resolve cases of the same sort accurred under the Trump administration., as well as the fear of unfair antitrust legislation toward Google, where it is a big Democratic donor.

There was little to conflict with the idea of relegation of political duty taken up by an objective Justice Department, and although toward the end, Barr did stand up well to pressure, overall he left the department in need of rehabilitation.

Trump plots future – and revenge – from sunny Florida link

Updated 7:31 AM EST, Thu February 25, 2021

(CNN)In a South Florida war room, occupied most days by a party of one, a former President of the United States is plotting his return – and his revenge.

He typically spends mornings on his nearby golf course, making and taking calls from a golf cart that doubles as his mobile, and self-driven, office. The multiple trips to the links in the last few weeks have served to accomplish a long-promised goal, says someone who spent time with him recently: Donald Trump claims he has increased his drive by 20 yards, a new favorite brag to golfing partners, or anyone who will listen.

Eighteen holes later, he leaves his Trump International Golf Club and returns to Mar-a-Lago, where he retreats within his quarters to his own private living space, separate from that of his wife, and ponders two main questions: Who is with him? And who is against him?

According to multiple people familiar with Trump’s current habits, who requested anonymity to speak freely to CNN about the former President’s day-to-day focus, his stated goal – barring impact from ongoing criminal investigation – is to run for president again, in 2024. Of course, he has no incentive to rule it out right now – keeping himself in the mix helps sustain his kingmaker role. Looking to flex on 2022, he hopes to prove to both critics and supporters that he is the GOP’s most effective puppeteer – a role he will likely remind the party of during his weekend appearance at Conservative Political Action Conference.

His short-term goal includes watching his son Donald Trump Jr., the MAGA base’s fervent mouthpiece, barnstorm his way across the country on behalf of Trump loyalists and supporters for midterms.

Donald Trump Jr. deposed by DC attorney general as part of inaugural funds lawsuit
“Once 2022 kicks into high gear, expect Don (Trump Jr.) to be an extremely active presence on the campaign trail,” a person who works with Trump Jr. told CNN, confirming not only the younger Trump’s taste for political battle but that of the former President, as well.

Donald Trump’s influence on the elections is becoming clearer by the day. Just Tuesday, former Sen. David Perdue announced that he will not launch a campaign, though he had very recently filed papers to do so. The decision follows close on the heels of Perdue’s recent visit to Palm Beach, where he played golf with Trump, says a person familiar with the Georgia Republican’s schedule.

On Tuesday evening, according to The Washington Post, Trump held court with Ronna McDaniel, chairwoman of the Republican National Committee. The quest, say those familiar with the visits and calls of varying Republican politicos, is to feel out where the former President’s head is on the party’s future, and whether he feels inclined to assist or oppose a particular person.

“We’ve seen this for years now – Trumpian offers of encouragement that are more like the mafioso ‘nice little business you have here’ threats,” says Doug Heye, a longtime Republican strategist and consultant who formerly worked in senior communications roles for leadership on Capitol Hill. “The problem for these candidates moving forward is that despite always hustling to score points, Donald Trump doesn’t give points, he only takes them away. One at a time.”

Family dynamics in flux

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner move out of DC and lease luxury condo in Miami
At Mar-a-Lago, the family is closing ranks around the former President, and his plans, but the leader of next-gen Trump politics is not Ivanka Trump, long thought to be heiress to her father’s domain, be it real estate or politics. She’s been the subject of effusive comments from Trump: In 2019, in the same breath, he touted Ivanka Trump for both US ambassador to the United Nations and head of the World Bank, and in an interview with The Atlantic he said she would be “very hard to beat” if she were to run for president herself. But apparently Ivanka Trump not only has zero interest in politics at the moment, three people close to her tell CNN, she also has been surpassed in popularity with Trump’s base by her older brother.

In 2019, it was clear that Trump Jr. was the ranting Republican hype-man the base couldn’t live without. Trump Jr. was not only in high demand for appearances and events, but he also was filling rooms, spewing conspiracy theories on social media, freewheeling with his attacks on Democrats, so-called RINOs (Republicans in Name Only) and anyone who did not agree with Trump’s theories and policies – truthful or no.

Ivanka Trump, ensconced now in an expensive seaside Miami condominium while a new mansion nearby is set for build on a $30 million plot purchased late last year, wants “nothing to do with politics,” a friend of hers said of her current state of mind.

Instead, she is “getting her family settled, and that’s her only focus,” said the friend.

Trump has been to Mar-a-Lago to visit her father since moving to Florida, says another person familiar with her comings and goings, but her interest in discussing her dad’s next pass at the White House is nil. The five years Trump spent on the campaign and in the White House “was a lot,” her friend told CNN, and talk of a political future is verboten. Paparazzi have captured shots of Trump in recent weeks, mostly lounging on the beach adjacent to her new home. One day she was spotted reading “The Book of Joy” by the Dalai Lama.

But the absence of interest in political engagement, if understandable, paves the way for her brother to shine even brighter in his dad’s orbit – even if he is not the favored child. (In an interview in 2019, Trump said of his older son, “Don is, uh, he’s enjoying politics; actually, it’s very good.”)

Trump Jr. and his girlfriend, Kimberly Guilfoyle, have served as highly effective surrogates for his father for close to three years, about as long as the couple have been a couple, and they show no sign of slowing down. Next week the pair will host a high-dollar meet-and-greet fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago, for South Dakota’s Republican governor, Kristi Noem, a person with knowledge of the event told CNN.

Noem is up for reelection in 2022, and the $1,000-per-person event will technically be Trump and Guilfoyle’s first official foray into the election cycle. The party’s VIP experience, according to the person familiar, includes participation in a roundtable discussion with Noem, Trump and Guilfoyle, as well as a photo – the price of the upgraded face time is $4,000 per person. No word on whether the former President will make an appearance, but Noem is a friend – she once gifted the then-President with an $1,100 4-foot replica of Miount Rushmore with his face included, according to a New York Times report.

Sunshine State headquarters

Trump to speak at CPAC in first public appearance since leaving White House, while Pence declines invitation
Like his sister, Ivanka Trump, and his half-sister, Tiffany Trump, who also recently made a move to Miami, Trump Jr. intends to make the Sunshine State his permanent residence. Two people with knowledge of the situation said he intends to move closer to his ex-wife, Vanessa Trump, and the couple’s five children.

Vanessa Trump spends a good deal of the year in Jupiter, Florida, where her ex-husband has been eyeing an $11 million waterfront mansion in the town’s exclusive Admiral’s Cove development. A person familiar with Trump Jr.'s ventures would not confirm the purchase of the home, which, according to real estate records, is under contract pending sale, and a representative of the real estate firm handling the sale would not comment to CNN on speculation Trump is the buyer.

But the commitment to Florida, an enthusiastically Trump-friendly state the former President won last November – indicates the Trumps aren’t tied to New York City as their hub. Besides, it’s much more pleasant for Trump to host his visitors at Mar-a-Lago, which has a built-in audience of members, many of whom are also sycophants.

One person familiar with Trump’s activities at Mar-a-Lago says he’s more and more acting as CEO of the club, involved in operations, renovations and membership. For a time, his Palm Beach neighbors expressed disdain that Trump would be living mere blocks from their multimillion-dollar mansions – a disruption they no longer wished to endure after the last four years of security and privacy challenges.

“I really don’t think most Palm Beachers are even thinking about Trump any longer. He really never leaves his two clubs,” said Laurence Leamer, a part-time Palm Beach resident and author of two tell-alls about the area, “Madness Under the Royal Palms” and “Mar-a-Lago: Inside the Gates of Power at Donald Trump’s Presidential Palace.”

Trump is habitual, which makes it all the easier for those who want to find him, to seek his blessing or beg forgiveness for turning their backs, a practice Heye thinks will only increase in the months to come.

“For many, the fealty never ends. But part of Trump’s bet when his campaign became serious was that the party would bend to him, he would not bend to the party. He was right,” he said.

© 2021 Cable News Network. A Warner Media Company. All Rights Reserved.

>>>>>       >>>>>>><<>>>>>>>>

Raging Trump

POLITICS
Trump rages at top Republicans even as advisors urge him to focus attacks on Biden, Democrats

Former President Trump continues to rage at top Republicans who push back against him, despite some advisors insisting he should take aim at President Joe Biden and Democratic leaders instead.
Sen. John Thune, the No. 2 Republican in the Senate, and longtime GOP political operative Karl Rove are among the targets of Trump’s anger, according to people familiar with the matter.
Trump spokesman Jason Miller responded to CNBC’s request for comment for this story by emailing: “Fake news. We’re focused on winning back the House and Senate in 2022.”
RT: Donald Trump, serious, pensive 191101
Former President Donald Trump
Tom Brenner | Reuters
Former President Donald Trump continues to rage at top Republicans who have criticized him, despite some advisors insisting he should take aim at President Joe Biden and Democratic leaders instead, according to people familiar with the matter.

Sen. John Thune, the No. 2 Republican in the Senate, and longtime GOP political operative Karl Rove are among the targets of Trump’s anger, these people said.

These people declined to be named in order to speak freely.

Trump spokesman Jason Miller responded to CNBC’s request for comment for this story by emailing: “Fake news. We’re focused on winning back the House and Senate in 2022.”

CNBC had asked which Republicans Trump intended to target during midterm primaries after the former president said he plans to back several primary contenders who support his Make America Great Again agenda.

There are 20 Senate seats currently held by Republicans, including four who aren’t running, which will be up for grabs in 2022. Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska is the only one of the seven Republicans who voted to convict Trump in his second impeachment trial who is up for reelection next year. The entire House is at stake, as well.

Trump’s anger at Republicans who have criticized him was most publicly evident in his statement lambasting Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., whom Trump called a “dour, sullen, and unsmiling political hack.”

Trump’s remarks came after McConnell, even after voting to acquit the former president in his second impeachment trial, said Trump was responsible for the Jan. 6 Capitol Hill riot. Trump said in response that he plans to back primary contenders in the 2022 midterm elections who stand with him.

Advisors have told Trump that many Republican voters, who have been polled by the former president’s strategists, do not want to see an all-out war in the GOP. Instead, they would rather see Trump focus his attacks on Biden and top Democrats.

Sen. Rick Scott, chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, has told associates that he wants to persuade McConnell to engage with Trump in order for the two to settle their differences ahead of the midterms, according to one GOP advisor. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., is reportedly planning to meet with Trump this weekend at his Mar-a-Lago resort in an attempt to play peacemaker.

Chris Hartline, a spokesman for the NRSC, told CNBC that Scott is “not involved in mediating anything. He’s focused on the future and winning back the Senate. He’s spending every day raising money and talking about how important it is to save this country by stopping the Democrats’ mad rush into socialism and loss of freedom and prosperity.”

“I don’t know if he’s spoken to the Leader recently but we don’t talk about private conversations he had with other Senators,” Hartline added.

Representatives for McConnell and Scott did not respond to requests for comment.

Still, Trump’s allies aren’t backing away from the idea that support for his agenda will help Republicans in primaries.

“When you know you’ve got the muscle of President Trump behind you, and all of the devoted loyal followers of the president, and even as important or more important, his America First policies, that’s going to be hard to beat,” Roy Bailey, a Texas businessman and former head of Trump Victory, a joint fundraising committee between the campaign and the Republican National Committee, told CNBC.

Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., a staunch defender of Trump’s in Congress, tweeted that Republicans will be rejected by the base of the party if they don’t embrace the former president’s agenda. Gaetz has called for the ouster of Republican House leader Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., after she voted to impeach Trump.

Rove has emerged as a leading Republican critic of Trump, and the former president isn’t happy about it, one person said. Rove, an ex-senior advisor to former President George W. Bush, wrote a recent op-ed in The Wall Street Journal defending his longtime ally McConnell and holding Trump directly responsible for the party’s losses in the dual Georgia Senate runoffs.

“Mr. Trump lost those Georgia seats by making his campaign appearances there not about the need for checks and balances on the incoming Biden administration, but instead about his rage over losing the presidential election,” Rove wrote on Wednesday.

Trump is also mad at Thune, who is up for reelection next year, another person said. The South Dakota Republican voted with Trump over 90% of the time, according to FiveThirtyEight data. But he has also been a vocal Trump critic regarding the Capitol Hill insurrection.

Trump had warned in December that Thune would face a primary challenge after the senator said efforts to challenge the Electoral College results would “go down like a dog” in the Senate. The Cook Political Report has Thune’s race as “solid Republican.”

After voting to acquit the president in his impeachment trial, Thune said: “What former President Trump did to undermine faith in our election system and disrupt the peaceful transfer of power is inexcusable.”

Thune criticized Republican activists in a recent interview with the Associated Press. He said that these activists have engaged in “cancel culture” by rushing to censure GOP lawmakers who voted to support Trump’s impeachment.

Thune, according to the AP, said he plans to assist candidates “who don’t go off and talk about conspiracies and that sort of thing.”

“At the grassroots level, there’s a lot of people who want to see Trump-like candidates,” he said. “But I think we’re going to be looking for candidates that are electable.”

© 2021 CNBC LLC. All Rights Reserved. A Division of NBCUniversal

<><><><><><><><><><><>>

<><><><>>>>><

<><><>>

Taxes!

The Week

Journalist Tim O’Brien, who’s seen Trump’s taxes, thinks Trump’s accountant will now flip in D.A. inquiry

Bloomberg’s Tim O’Brien, one of the few journalists who has seen former President Donald Trump’s tax returns, told MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell on Thursday night he will sleep better now that Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance finally has eight years of Trump’s financial documents, from 2011 to 2019. Trump “is very afraid of what’s in these documents, I think,” because they put him in serious criminal jeopardy, O’Brien said, but he isn’t the only one implicated.

O’Brien went on to explain why he thinks it’s likely Trump’s chief accountant, Allen Weisselberg, will flip on Trump. “The thing to really focus in on here is that it’s not just the tax records that Cy Vance has now,” O’Brien said. “He probably has reams and reams of the accountant’s work product. This is a criminal case, they’re going to need to prove criminal intent on the part of Trump, his three eldest children, Allen Weisselberg, and anyone else in the Trump Organization who’s fallen under the parameters of this investigation. And if there are email and notes and other records of communication about what they intended to do when they inflated the value of buildings so they could get loans against them and then turned around and deflated the value of the buildings so they could pay lower taxes on them, and there’s a communication around that that predates any of these tax entries, that is gold for a prosecutor.”

A few hours earlier, O’Brien told MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace that the particular eight years of documents Vance’s team has “is important, because it predates Trump’s ascent into the White House, and I think helps build the narrative around the money trail and Trump’s motivations for his destructive and obscene dance with people like Vladimir Putin. It’s a shame they couldn’t go back further — think this is one of the tragic misses of Robert Mueller’s investigation, he could have gone back further, I think, than Cy Vance is able to into Trump’s finances.”

O’Brien also underscored that the investigation implicates at least Eric Trump and Ivanka Trump, and “it also targets people inside the Trump Organization who might flip on Trump if they’re exposed to criminal liability,” but “the brass ring in all of this is that if Trump has a criminal conviction, he cannot run for president again, and that’s looming over this entire thing as well.”

"CPAC

Published February 26, 2021

Last Update 3 hrs ago

Is Trump the GOP’s future? Here’s what CPAC attendees think

Trump still leader of the party, CPAC attendees say, but many think Gov. Ron DeSantis should be 2024 presidential nominee

Former President Donald Trump isn’t the leader of the free world anymore. But many of the attendees at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Orlando, Florida, still want him to be the leader of the Republican Party.

The annual conservative confab, even during its first event after the Trump presidency, is still very much a pro-Trump gathering.

Make America Great Again hats are some of the most popular attire among the attendees, and there’s plenty of locations for people to buy more Trump gear. There are even some folks in “Students for Trump” yarmulkes and the viral “Lady MAGA” drag queen is one of the most visible attendees.

But despite the pro-Trump nature of the gathering, many attendees aren’t necessarily committed to Trump being the 2024 presidential nominee. In fact, many CPAC attendees thought Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who gave the first major address of CPAC Friday, could be the party’s standard-bearer going forward.

“I think President Trump is the leader of the Republican Party. He is still the leader even if he’s not president – at least of our party,” said Val Biancaniello, who was a Pennsylvania delegate for Trump at the 2020 Republican National Convention. “I’m looking forward to President Trump coming here and speaking on Sunday, seeing what he has to say. He still has a huge amount of support in the Trump base.”

But despite her support for Trump, Biancaniello said she thinks 2024 may be DeSantis’ time.

“I really like Ron DeSantis in '24. I think President Trump has a huge role in our party … fundraising and helping candidates get elected. His America First policy is still a very strong sentiment,” she said. “If the theme of CPAC is ‘America Uncancelled,’ I think Ron DeSantis is really the face of that right now … He’s a proactive governor instead of a reactive governor.”

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis speaks at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) Friday, Feb. 26, 2021, in Orlando, Fla. (AP Photo/John Raoux) (AP Photo/John Raoux)

“We’ve seen this with [Ronald] Reagan. Even when Reagan left office we didn’t want to see him go away, because obviously when someone does good for a party you don’t just want to push him out,” said Aaron Rosenthal, who runs a Facebook Page called Americaplus.

“The way it stands right now, if I were to make my very own prediction, my hopes as a native Floridian is it’s going to be our very own Ron DeSantis,” Rosenthal said when asked about who may be the 2024 nominee.

“He was our past president so he’s definitely a leader,” Michael Straw, the Media Borough, Pennsylvania, Republican Party Chairman, said of Trump. “At this point, I think we have to look at a multitude of leaders because he may not be the only person that’s looking at the nomination for 2024.”

“If Donald Trump doesn’t get in, I’m gonna say Gov. DeSantis” will get the 2024 GOP nomination, Straw added.

Media Borough, Pa., Republican Party Chairman Michael Straw told Fox News that Trump is “definitely” a GOP leader but that the party should be looking to “a multitude of leaders” ahead of 2024. (Fox News)

Aaron Timpko, a CPAC attendee who is a Florida native and took advantage of the fact that CPAC was moved to Orlando to explore the movement, also told Fox News DeSantis may be the best person for the GOP in 2024.

“Donald Trump undoubtedly has a role as a leader of the Republican Party,” Timpko said. “With how much he has changed the Republican Party … he will continue to be a leader going forward.”

“I’d have to go with DeSantis or Ted Cruz,” Timpko responded when asked who might be the 2024 GOP nominee. “Somebody who is not Trump. Somebody in the Republican Party who can stand up to the media with a bit more regality than Trump can. Despite how wonderful he was for the country, we can’t have a media focusing on him for the next four years instead of Biden.”

“One-hundred percent, I think he has a role,” Carson Wolf, who is attending CPAC with his parents, said of Trump. “I think he defined the future of the Republican Party as a populist organization. You know, we used to be so conservative and always sticking to the same rules and the same set of standards that haven’t evolved. But he has pushed us forward in helping us become a more national populist side of things.”

Carson Wolf is attending CPAC with his parents. He said He would be happy with former President Donald Trump as the 2024 GOP nominee but would prefer Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis or Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Texas. (Fox News)

But Wolf said he hopes the GOP will go with someone other than Trump as its 2024 presidential nominee.

“I can see him as the Republican nominee,” Wolf said. “I personally really want to see somebody like Gov. DeSantis or somebody like Dan Crenshaw running. I think we need a new face, you know? But I love Trump and I’d be so satisfied to see him in 2024.”

Meanwhile, Donald Trump Jr. will deliver an address to the CPAC crowd on Friday while the former president will be the keynote speaker on Sunday afternoon.

On Friday, CPAC kicked off with an emphasis on the Constitution.

High-profiles speakers including Cruz, R-Texas, and Mike Lee, R-Utah, spoke about the Bill of Rights and how it applies to modern America.

Lee’s speech was titled “Why the Left Hates the Bill of Rights … and We Love It.”

Cruz is considered to have potential presidential ambitions, as are Sens. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., and Josh Hawley, R-Mo., both of whom also addressed CPAC on Friday. "

©2021 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved.

SUN FEB 28, 2021 / 11:58 AM EST
Trump to proclaim himself as the future for Republicans in speech

"Former President Donald Trump on Sunday will declare himself the dominant figure in the fractured Republican Party and attack President Joe Biden in his first major appearance since leaving the White House nearly six weeks ago.

“I stand before you today to declare that the incredible journey we began together four years ago is far from over,” Trump will tell the Conservative Political Action Conference in Orlando, Florida, according to speech excerpts released by his team.

“We are gathered this afternoon to talk about the future --the future of our movement, the future of our party, and the future of our beloved country,” he will add.

Trump’s tumultuous final weeks in office saw his supporters launch a deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 in an attempt to block Congress from certifying Biden’s election victory, a win that Trump falsely claimed was tainted by widespread fraud.

A civil war has erupted within the Republican Party with establishment figures like Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell eager to put Trump in the rear-view mirror and others, like Trump ally Senator Lindsey Graham, believing the party’s future depends on the energy of the pro-Trump conservative base.

“The Republican Party is united. The only division is between a handful of Washington D.C. establishment political hacks, and everybody else all over the country,” Trump will say.

Trump fervor at the four-day CPAC event has been so strong that Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. declared it “T-PAC” and participants rolled out a golden statue of the former president.

Trump has discussed privately running again for president in 2024, according to advisers, but the speech excerpts gave no hint of what he might do.

“That’s going to be a decision he makes down the road,” Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel told CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

In the short term, he is making plans to set up a superPAC political organization to support candidates who mirror his policies, an adviser said.

Trump’s speech will include attacks against Biden to try to position himself as the lead critic of the new president, including on immigration and security along the U.S. border with Mexico, and the slow reopening of schools closed due to the pandemic.

“We all knew that the Biden administration was going to be bad–but none of us imagined just how bad they would be, and how far left they would go,” Trump will say. “Joe Biden has had the most disastrous first month of any president in modern history.”

The Biden White House has made it clear it plans to ignore Trump’s speech.

“Our focus is certainly not on what President Trump is saying” at CPAC, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters last week.

© 2021 Reuters. All Rights Reserved.

BBC News

CPAC 2021: Who won the Republican civil war

01 March 2021 US & Canada

If you’re looking for evidence of a Republican civil war, the Conservative Political Action Conference was not the place to be.

No grappling with the party’s future in the face of Donald Trump’s defeat. No pondering the loss of control of the US Senate.

No reflecting on continued minority status in the House of Representatives. And certainly no regret over the January assault on the US Capitol by a mob of Trump supporters.

The annual gathering of right-wing activists isn’t exactly a representative cross-section of the Republican Party, but it does show where the passions of grassroots and youth organisers reside. And within the confines of a sprawling hotel conference centre in Orlando, Florida the Republican fight over the future of conservatism, if it ever happened, appeared to be over with hardly a metaphorical shot fired.

It’s still Donald Trump’s party - and on Sunday, he basked in the reflected glow of the crowd’s adoration.

“Miss me yet?” Trump asked the thousands, many maskless, cheering in the ballroom. “I stand before you today to declare that the incredible journey we began together… is far from over.”

Also far from over is Trump’s fixation on his election loss last year. During an extended riff on the topic Sunday evening, which included a criticism of the US Supreme Court for declining to overturn the results, the CPAC crowd responded with a chant of “You won! You won! You won!”

Trump’s 38 days of self-imposed seclusion after leaving the White House haven’t lessened his willingness to traffic in the kind of unsupported claims of election fraud that culminated in the attack on the US Capitol - an event he made no mention of during his speech.

Trump did coyly hint at a 2024 president bid, however, saying that he might beat the Democrats “for a third time”.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESCheering crowd at Cpac 2021
Image captionAt Cpac this year, Trumpism drove the agenda
There has been a tradition in modern US politics for former presidents to refrain from direct criticism of their successors, at least in the opening days of a new administration. On Sunday this became only the latest tradition that Trump discarded, as he lashed out at Democrat Joe Biden for his handling of immigration and the coronavirus pandemic recovery.

He also defined what he considered his political ideology - “Trumpism” - including reformed trade deals, regulatory cuts, low taxes, gun rights, “strong” borders and “no riots in the streets”. It was all part of a nearly two-hour speech which at times felt like the former president’s attempt to test out new political material for the Biden era, leavened with a heavy dose of aired grievances.

There were dozens of various panels and speakers at CPAC over the course of the three-day event, but Trump was the rhetorical fireworks at the end, and Trumpism drove the agenda and dominated the conversation.

Gold statues and white nationalists
CPAC has sometimes been referred to as the Star Wars cantina of the Republican Party - a hodgepodge collection of quirky characters from across the conservative galaxy. There was plenty of that this year, with an Uncle Sam on roller skates, a “samurai futurologist” from Japan whose adverts ran nonstop in the convention hall, a merchant hawking Trump-themed hammocks and the much-reported gold statue of Trump in red-white-and-blue shorts (made in Mexico by an American expat).

There were also some unsavoury moments, such as the America First Political Action Conference event that drew Cpac patrons to a nearby hotel on Friday night, where organiser Nick Fuentes made remarks heavy in racially tinged rhetoric.

“Our country was founded by white people,” Fuentes said. “This country wouldn’t exist without white people. And white people are done being bullied.”

He also praised the January Capitol attack as “awesome”.

The following morning, Congressman Paul Gosar of Arizona - the one Republican officeholder who spoke at the Fuentes event - attempted to distance himself from the controversial remarks.

“I denounce when we talk about white racism,” he said at the start of a CPAC panel on immigration. “That’s not appropriate.”

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionThe former president - and a gold statue of his likeness - drew the crowds
That evening, Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Green - who was recently censured by the House of Representatives for social media posts about conspiracy theories and endorsing threats to Democratic politicians - made an unscheduled appearance at the conference.

Dozens of people lined up to pose with her for photographs.

Ambition in Trump’s shadow
CPAC has traditionally been a proving ground for Republican politicians aspiring to higher office. Over the course of three days, an array of contenders tested how messages and applause lines might resonate with the well-heeled grass-roots activists and college-age conservatives who made the trip to Florida.

Senator Josh Hawley of Missouri - at times sounding a bit like Democratic Elizabeth Warren during her 2020 presidential campaign - railed against powerful technology companies like Google and Twitter, which he said should be broken up.

Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas offered a “law and order” theme.

“We’ve seen what happens when people lose the nerve to defend America,” he said. “Last summer, chaos and riots engulfed our streets.”

Kristi Noem, governor of South Dakota, touted her decision to keep her state’s schools and businesses open during much of the coronavirus pandemic as a victory for freedom (despite her state having a Covid-19 death rate that is one of the highest in the US).

“Covid didn’t crush the economy,” she said to cheers. “Government crushed the economy.”

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionTexas Senator Ted Cruz made an appearance - right on the heels of his trip to Cancun
Even the auditions from political suitors were still mostly about Donald Trump, however. His son, Donald Trump Jr, got some of the biggest cheers on Friday. His former secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, noted his accomplishments in foreign policy and tied himself to the entirety of Trump’s political record. His former economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, said the development of Covid vaccines and a recovering economy were one of Trump’s greatest achievements.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, who gave the conference’s introductory remarks on Thursday morning, talked up the power of the Trump attitude.

“We can sit around and have academic debates about conservative policy,” he said. “But the question is, when the klieg lights get hot, when the left comes after you, do you stand strong or do you fold?”

The former president, time and time again, was simply the biggest applause line for speakers here.

Hawley received a standing ovation for noting that he objected to the Senate certification of Biden’s electoral victory on 6 January, even though he was labelled an “insurrectionist”.

Image captionBridgette, from south Florida, felt welcomed among fellow conservatives
Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, who has had a rough few weeks after a family holiday to Cancun during his state’s weather-related energy crisis became a public-relations disaster, got a warm reception from the CPAC crowd, with a speech heavy on personal liberties in the face government-enforced Covid lockdowns. His clincher, though, involved the man who beat him in the 2016 presidential race.

“Let me tell you right now,” he said. “Donald J Trump ain’t going anywhere.”

A loyal base
Among the conference’s attendees, seldom a discouraging word was heard regarding the president. For them, the election was stolen; the party was his; the January attack on the US Capitol was the distant past; and the future for Trump has a rosy hue.

“What I love about President Trump - and I still call him my president - is he started the movement about what we needed for conservativism,” said Mary O’Sullivan, a college student from Massachusetts. “A lot of conservatives in the past were very quiet in their views, but he kind of woke a lot of people up to not be silent and stand back but rather take action and take initiative.”

Many conference-goers acknowledged that the past few months have been a challenge for Trump supporters. Watching Biden recite the oath of office and quickly roll back many of the executive actions taken by Trump - particularly on immigration - was disheartening. Being able to gather around fellow conservatives who share their continued support for the former president alone was a psychological boost.

“We just needed to have some backup and people that really feel what we feel,” said Bridgitte Bass, a retiree from south Florida. “We needed to know that there is support out there for us and that maybe we can start spreading the word and not be so afraid that we’re going to get attacked or shut out or cancelled.”

Video captionCPAC attendees express their fears about Joe Biden’s presidency
And while the 6 January riot was hardly acknowledged from the CPAC stage - even when the conversation turned to law and order and criticism of the Black Lives Matter unrest from last summer - when pressed most spectators acknowledged that the images from that day, of Trump-clad supporters fighting police and vandalising the US Capitol, was damaging to the movement.

“The unfortunate part is we get labelled with some of the fringe on our side - and we have nothing to do with them at all,” said Sany Dash of Texas, who ran one of the merchandise stands at the CPAC convention and has travelled to Trump rallies and other conservative events for several years.

Her current selection of souvenirs includes T-shirts, flag purses, socks and bejewelled cowboy hats. One thing she isn’t selling - yet - is anything touting a potential Trump president in 2024.

“We’re holding off out of respect,” she said. “We want to hear the president give us the green light that he’s running.”

Read more from Anthony
Cancel culture: Have any two words become more weaponised?
What next for Trump - and Trumpism?
What the impeachment verdict means for Trump, Biden and America
Can Biden move America beyond Trump?
Whether Trump’s future includes another presidential bid is a complicated question. There were plenty in Orlando who expressed hope that the former president might make a return to the White House, but the annual CPAC secret-ballot straw poll taken of conference attendees gave a more mixed picture.

While 95% of those who responded wanted to see Trump’s policies and agenda continue and 89% strongly approved of his job as president, only 68% said he should run again. In a trial heat of potential 2024 candidates, Trump garnered 55% of the vote, with Florida Governor DeSantis at 21%.

It was a dominating lead, but not the sort of prohibitive advantage that would dissuade some of the other presidential hopefuls from continuing to test the water.

The absent dissenters
Voices critical of Trump within the Republican Party stayed far away from Orlando this weekend, either by choice or because they received no invitation to speak.

Former ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley, who left her job in Trump’s good graces but distanced herself from the president after the Capitol attack, reportedly declined an invitation. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, the highest-ranking officeholder in the party, was not welcome.

Video captionThe BBC’s Anthony Zurcher visits a Florida coffee shop for people on the political right
Mitt Romney, the party’s 2012 presidential nominee, offered his analysis of the former president from back in Washington.

“I don’t think he is the leader of our party in terms of the thought leader or the policy leader, but he obviously has enormous support and will have as much influence as he wants I think,” he told the BBC. “Will there be new voices that step forward? I hope so - but everyone is trying to be as much like Donald Trump as they can be.”

Romney has said that Trump could end up the party’s pick if he runs again in 2024, and even McConnell has indicated he would support the former president if he’s the choice of Republican voters.

Only Liz Cheney, the daughter of the former vice-president and third-ranking Republican in the House of Representatives, has been unequivocal in her opposition - and that opposition has come with a price.

In his speech on Sunday, Trump named-checked every single congressional Republican who voted for his impeachment or conviction - ending with Cheney, who he accused of being a warmonger.

“Get rid of them all,” he said.

And while Republican leaders in Washington may be relieved that Trump said he would not start a third party with his supporters, they’re probably less enthusiastic about his pledge to unseat his critics and adversaries within the party.

“I will be actively working to elect strong, tough and smart Republican leaders,” he said, to yet another standing ovation.

Video captionHow Mike Pence became a villain in Trump world
Trump recently endorsed a primary challenger to Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio, one of the House Republicans who voted to impeach. It is sure to be just the beginning.

Last week, Senator Rick Scott of Florida - the head of the committee responsible for electing Republicans senators - sent a letter to Republican donors and activists claiming “the Republican Civil War is now cancelled”.

His declaration may end up premature, but a war between the former president - cheered on by rank and file Republicans and lauded by elected officeholders with the most ambition - and a scattered array of politicians and commentators isn’t much of a fight.

Copyright © 2021 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.

OPINION

Is Donald Trump a declining parody or a terrifying threat? Mastio & Lawrence on CPAC 2021
Can we agree with Trump? Yes, we are 'in the middle of a historic struggle for America’s future,

Former President Trump speaks to a crowd at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Florida, promises not to start a new political party.
STAFF VIDEO, USA TODAY
Donald Trump emerged from his luxurious Palm Beach exile to wallow in the warmth of devotees at the Conservative Political Action Conference 170 miles away in Orlando. Is he a spent supernova, or a giant barely submerged land mine that could obliterate the landscape at any time? Either way, we’ve seen our future. There will be no avoiding him. Deputy Editorial Page Editor David Mastio and Commentary Editor Jill Lawrence consider his Sunday speech, all 90-plus minutes:

David: Trump’s CPAC comeback speech revealed a sad little man, angry at local courts and politicians and disappointed in the federal judges he seated, but who “didn’t have the guts or the courage” to bow to him. Trump tried to carry on as if he hadn’t been impeached after the Capitol was ransacked by a mob, but even the lies seemed faintly ridiculous. “We will win. We’ve been doing a lot of winning,” was the wacko fib he launched his speech with, as if he hadn’t cost Republicans control of the House of Representatives, the Senate and the White House. Trump Republicans know that truth.

And even with a golden Trump idol on hand, 45% of CPAC attendees, in the organization’s straw poll, said they’d vote for someone other than the former president in the 2024 Republican primary. That’s a disappointing showing for a man out of the limelight for only a few weeks and way up from 2019, the last time the straw poll was taken, when fewer than 20% were looking for an alternative to Trump.

If he can’t get to 90% support at CPAC, the core of the Trumpian Republican base, he’s going to be weaker nationwide. Maybe Republicans are looking for a new messenger, even if they’ll stick with the redefined platform of Trumpism. That’s the one optimistic takeaway I saw anyway in a crowd happily nodding along to nonsense.

Jill: I had no luck finding any sliver of hope. Trump came out to the strains of Lee Greenwood’s totemic Republican song about being “proud to be an American," and then his whole speech was an attack on America, laced with ad hominem attacks on his enemies, from Joe Biden (cruel, anti-science and not grateful enough to Trump for his COVID shot) to Liz Cheney (“warmonger”), including a callout of every member of Congress who voted to impeach or convict him. That is frightening.

Checking the facts: Trump clings to his election falsehoods at CPAC

Even more frightening was his checklist of voter suppression measures for state legislators — no early voting, “eliminate the insanity of mass … mail-in voting,” voter ID required, and (cue the outrage) get rid of automatic registration for felons and welfare recipients. Why? Because our election system is worse than a third world nation and, oh yeah, he won, but maybe he didn’t, but he will again. Maybe in 2024.

Fact-checking is a useless exercise for a speech like this one. It was a swollen greatest-hits parade of lies, laughable braggadocio, deliberate double talk, ugly insults, ugly transactionalism and — from the man who tried to overturn an election, incited a deadly riot and is under investigation in many civil and criminal cases — the despicable (from him) claim that “we know that the rule of law is the ultimate safeguard. We affirm that the Constitution means exactly what it says, as written. As written.”

Former President Donald Trump at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Orlando, Florida, on Feb. 28, 2021.
JOE RAEDLE, GETTY IMAGES
Most disastrous first month in history
David: Maybe I am drunk on relief that Trump is no longer in office, but I found a lot to be positive about in the quality of the lies Trump delivered. They were down, way down.

He referred to “Joe Biden’s anti-science school closures,” when every parent who has been awake and home-schooling or hybrid schooling their kids knows who was president when schools closed and when they failed to open this fall. Those are Donald Trump’s school closures, if any president has anything to do with them.

He called Biden’s first month in office the “most disastrous … in modern history.” Please, is that even plausible? It doesn’t take some fact-checking whiz kid to point out that’s not true; it merely takes consciousness, or a look at Biden’s approval ratings. If anything, this has been the most boring first month in history. We’re reduced to getting worked up about Neera Tanden’s mean tweets.

Trump says his listeners are going to face “$5, $6, $7" a gallon gas. Yeesh. Gas prices are going to triple? I’ll take that bet.

RINOs are out to “destroy our country itself.” Everyone knows that the Republicans in name only are plotting just that.

I know this is wildly optimistic, but I’ll just say it: Trump is becoming a parody of himself, and his hold on the Republican Party is only going to weaken. Four years is a long time, and without constant access to American brains, Trump is going to fade.

View | 7 Photos
President Donald Trump speaks at CPAC 2019
Jill: There were actually a few points on which I found myself nodding in full agreement with Mr. Trump. For instance, when he said that “we’re in the middle of a historic struggle for America’s future, America’s culture, and America’s institutions, borders and most cherished principles,” why yes, yes we are. “Our security, our prosperity and our very identity as Americans is at stake, like perhaps at no other time.” Yes to that, too.

Disinformation pandemic: Fake news victims are using lawsuits to shut down the lies. Can courts cure this plague?

He is the threat. He and those who follow him and believe him when he calls the Republican Party “the party of love.” I truly hope you are right that he is fading. Listening to him echo his Jan. 6 speech, I was haunted by the prospect of more violence, more killing, from those who aren’t satisfied by a conference at an Orlando Hyatt or watching it on TV.

I suppose there is some encouragement in the “mere” 55% support level for Trump in the straw poll, but isn’t second-place Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis just a mini-Trump? Together they’ve got 76% of that crowd. Not enough to give me hope. And you know what did better than anyone? Trump’s agenda at 95%. Whatever the heck that means. Sex, lies and racism? Deadly riots fueled by Trump delusions? Corruption and grifting and cozying up to despots? How about potentially criminal, irrefutably fatal dereliction of duty in the face of a pandemic?

No, I’m not over it yet.

I just wish I didn’t have to be reminded of it again. And again. And again.

Trump will be with us, world without end, God help us. "

© Copyright Gannett 2021

WTRF

Today Is The Day QAnon Believes Donald Trump Will Be Reinstated As President

14 hours ago

(WTRF)- QAnon has marked March 4th as a very significant date in their calendar.

Antifa website redirects to White House website
QAnon who gained attention during the Capitol Insurrection on January 6th believes this is the day Donald Trump will return to power as president.

The FBI is listing this as a domestic terrorist threat.

Experts say QAnon follower’s latest theory will cause further humiliation for the radical group when their threat fails.

QAnon believes a secret law that was actually passed back in 1871 changed the United States into an actual corporation.

In essence, to these followers, all presidencies after Ulysses S. Grant have been illegitimate.

This would make former President Donald Trump the 19th president instead of the 45th.

The reason behind the March 4th date is that this is when presidential inauguration ceremonies used to take place before it was moved to January 20th in 1933.

Both Capitol Police and Metropolitan Police Departments are continuing to monitor potential threats and are aware of the significance of QAnon’s March 4th date.

U.S. Capitol Police are increasing security around the building following threats of more violence from a militia group Thursday.

The U.S. House of Representatives has canceled its Thursday session because of the threat.

_
Watch… this… space?

Interesting information, on legislative and electoral changes.

DONALD TRUMP

Trump, RNC clash over using his name in fundraising

The RNC’s counsel said it “has every right to refer to public figures" while engaging in political speech. Trump responded, “No more money for RINOS."

March 9, 2021, 12:34 PM EST
By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The Republican National Committee is defending its right to use former President Donald Trump’s name in fundraising appeals after he demanded they put an end to the practice.

In a Monday letter to Trump attorney Alex Cannon, RNC chief counsel J. Justin Riemer said the committee “has every right to refer to public figures as it engages in core, First Amendment-protected political speech" and said "it will continue to do so in pursuit of these common goals.”

But he maintained that Trump had also “reaffirmed” to the chair of the RNC, Ronna McDaniel, over the weekend "that he approves of the RNC’s current use of his name in fundraising and other materials, including for our upcoming donor retreat event at Palm Beach at which we look forward to him participating.”

Trump responded to the letter with a statement that put that agreement in doubt.

“No more money for RINOS," or Republican in name only, he stated. “They do nothing but hurt the Republican Party and our great voting base — they will never lead us to Greatness.”

Trump instead again urged his supporters to send their contributions directly to his own Save America PAC by using his personal website, adding, "We will bring it all back stronger than ever before!”

The flap reflects the tensions that have divided the GOP in the months since Trump left the White House. The party is eager to tap into his popularity among the Republican base to raise money ahead of next year’s midterms. But that runs counter to Trump’s instinct to control the use of his name and image as he aims to position himself as the undisputed leader of the GOP.

DONALD TRUMP

Trump, RNC clash over using his name in fundraising

In his first major speech since leaving office, Trump urged his supporters to give their money to Save America, his political action committee, instead of the GOP’s traditional fundraising organizations. And on Friday, his group sent letters to the RNC and others asking them to “immediately cease and desist the unauthorized use of President Donald J. Trump’s name, image, and/or likeness in all fundraising, persuasion, and/or issue speech," according to the RNC letter.

The House and Senate Republican campaign committees and a Trump spokesman did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The RNC and Trump’s campaign worked hand-in-hand during the 2020 election, including raising money through a joint fundraising committee. And ties between them remain.

Trump is scheduled to speak at the RNC’s spring donor retreat in April in Palm Beach, Florida, and has told McDaniel that he wants to continue raising money for the RNC even as he amasses cash for his own pursuits. That includes exacting revenge by backing challengers to Republican incumbents who crossed him by voting to impeach him for inciting the Capitol riot.

Despite the letters, the RNC and others have continued to fundraise off of Trump’s name.

“CONGRATULATIONS! You have been selected as one of the FIRST to be invited to claim your Trump Legacy Membership,” the RNC wrote in one appeal on Sunday.

“We NEED 10,000 patriots who still stand with President Trump before midnight tonight," “URGENT: TRUMP SUPPORTERS NEEDED,” added the National Republican Senatorial Committee Monday afternoon.

The Associated Press

NBCNEWS.
© 2020 NBC UNIVERSAL

youtu.be/kX7OmK8I-v0