Ugly

There is plenty of philosophy about beauty…

I’ve been wondering about “ugly” these days. Firstly, what is “ugly,” what makes something or someone ugly? And also how is it to be ugly? How does this affect ones life?

Here are a few quotes about “ugly” to prime the pump:

Saludos Gorgias,

Quite an interesting topic, but it is true, we spend more time discussing beauty than uglinness. Gee, I wonder why. I believe ugly to be highly subjective, just like taste. I don't believe there is anything on Earth that could be consider ugly by all of its 6 billion+ inhabitants. Let alone by all the living creatures on Earth. Therefore nothing is absolutely ugly.

I’ll give you an example, one thing that I find repulsive, that I can’t even stand to think about are baby birds. Not necessarily the ones fresh out of the egg, but more of the juvenil type, the ones that are barely beginning to have their feathers growing in. I cannot stand to see them with their bare quills. In other words, they just have the shaft of their feathers without the soft, furry component.
Other people may not find that repulsive like me, they may not find it beautiful either, but I certainly consider that one of nature’s most barbaric manifestiations of ugliness.

Edher

I also find what you describe “repulsive.” Why is that? There would seem to be a great many things that are a little similar in appearance to baby birds. A toad is also ugly. Flesh has to be smooth, or else it’s ugly? But also the form of a face. My face may be rather ugly, but could it be shown by math and statistics, or by some rules?

This program taught me more about beauty and uglyness in five minutes than all the philosophy and psychology books on beauty I’ve ever read: morphases.com/editor/ . Try taking an average face, and transposing the features from another average face onto it, suddenly you’ve got a beautiful face. Obviously greatly distorting any feature will produce ugliness, but what about more subtle ugliness?

Hello again Gorgias,

That's seems to be an incredible website but I'm having a really hard time using it because wheneven I press Select Random face it shows me a face and then half of it goes away. Maybe I'm pressing the wrong option. 

Well, you're the first person that I talk to that finds that repulsive as well, I've told others about it but to them it's more of a "meh." They're indifferent about it. However, I will have to disagree with you with the toads, I actually like the little amphibians, I used to have a pet toad as a child and was left with a broken heart when it decided to escape in the middle of the night. But you're right though, many people share your perspective when it comes to skin, the smoother the better. I feel like my Self is contradicting itself since it finds a baby bird to be ugly but a toad to be average. I guess it might be because in the case of a baby bird it feels as though it bears its skeleton on the outside, all those thin furryless shafts resemble bones and well, the connection is self-evident. 

When it comes to people though, I absolutely agree with you, the smoother the skin the better. 

Edher

Martin Luther King Jr,was quiet the man of wisdom.

I saw you walking down the street just the other day
I didn’t see your damage from that far away
I should have got a clue when the kids started screaming
You walked up to me with your buck teeth a gleaming
Your hair was all frizzy and your face was a mess
I thought it was a sack but it’s your favourite dress
You hurt the trees feelings and the birds all flew
I don’t mean to insult you
Oh wait! Yes i do.
Your teeth are yellow, they’re covered in mould
You’re only fourteen you look a hundred years old
When looks were handed out you were last in line
Your face looks like where the sun don’t shine
Did you fall off a building and land on your head
Or did a truck run over your face instead
There ain’t no pill cos you ain’t ill You’re ugly!
U.G.L.Y you ain’t got no alibi you ugly eh! Hey! You ugly x2
What you really need is to wear a mask
And book that plastic surgeon fast - (girl)
You’re scary - you’re hairy I heard about you
You’re the main attraction at the city zoo
You’re so fat and ugly with a belly full of flab
When you wear a yellow coat people shout out cab
(so funny)
You got eyes like a pig and your nose is big
And with hair like that you should be wearing a wig
Uncle fester remember him? I never knew that you had a twin
You can’t disguise your googly eyes
In the miss ugly pageant you win first prize
Yo mama says you ugly -
You ugly!
U.G.L.Y you ain’t got no alibi you ugly eh! Hey! You ugly x2
Get busy x9
Yo mama says you’re ugly
Get busy
Yo mama says you’re ugly
Get busy
Yo mama says you’re ugly
Get busy you’re ugly! U.u.u.u.
Now i feel like blondie
U.G.L.Y you ain’t got no alibi you ugly eh! Hey! You ugly x2 Quasimodo
Camel breath
Squarehead
Ugly! Chicken legs
Pig face
Chin like bubba
Ugly! Fish lips
Toad licker
Poindexter
Ugly! Spaghetti arms
Limp butt
Freak show - ugly! U.G.L.Y you ain’t got no alibi you ugly eh! Hey! You ugly x1
U.G.L.Y - you could make an onion cry
U.G.L.Y - like an alien chased by the F.B.I.
U.G.L.Y x6
U.G.L.Y you ain’t got no alibi you ugly!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphne_And_Celeste

you’ve said quiet the mouthful.