US Election 2016

This pope is dope

Don’t forget the most important ingredient- sour grapes!

Seriously though, if you think the DNC handled the election perfectly, I can only say maybe you watch too much MSNBC and Young Turks. Hillary barely campaigned at all, didn’t have a message other than “Trump is garbage, I’m not Trump”, they stole the nomination from the preferred candidate then flaunted the fact by promoting the people who did it. They demonstrated naked, public resentment from the groups who’s votes they needed.

I mean, if you think calling the other guy sexist as virtually your singular campaign platform (broken up only by when you’re calling him racist instead) and then you turn around and lose the white woman vote, you must be doing something wrong.

As Zizek said, Hillary’s loss is the price she paid for screwing Bernie (and what he represented).

The Dems handled it almost perfectly, in the limited sense that the ideal win is by as small a margin as possible (and in that sense, to the extent it can be credited, Trump’s campaign handled it yet-more-perfectly because he won by a very small margin).

Getting support is not a free lunch. At some margin, you can only increase votes by diluting your platform or lying to voters. To the former: a president enters office with a limited pool of political capital, so the more promises made, the less capital can be spent on each. To the latter: you can get white working class votes by promising a wall and tariffs, and you get business votes by promising easier trade and cheaper labor – but those promises are contradictory, and at least one of them must be a lie.

Basically, you don’t want more votes than you need. With hindsight, we can say Clinton should have hedged a little more, but that’s not to say that she wasn’t within the margin of electoral noise from a very good win.

As my friend said, who predicted Trump’s win almost a year ago, he knew Trump would win for the simple reason that my friend, who would otherwise never vote, was actually motivated to vote this time-- to vote for Trump, of course. This mere fact alone was enough to prove to him that Trump would prevail.

Trump versus Hillary was the perfect contest, a perfect representation of the opposing forces here. Bernie may have defeated Trump but that wouldn’t have been such a perfect contest, basically that contest is truly between what we call neoliberal globalism versus national and individual self-determination. It really is that simple.

I knew Trump would win from the very beginning.

Using my psychic powers I made Hillary lose the election.

Hey, I have no problem with the Democrats continuing to win in the style they’ve been winning for the past six years. If the Dems doing everything right gives the GOP both houses of Congress, the majority of state governments, and 35-state wins in the presidential elections, then I guess we both like how things are going.

Yeah. Again, “almost”.

And this time it is not as the saying goes, ‘too close to comfort’, but too far from comfort. That is the disturbing thing, which ever way it goes. The victim: Trust.