What do Atheists hold Sacred?

It is curious that although atheists critique specific religious beliefs, particularly those of Christianity and Islam, they often exhibit an aggressive and dogmatic commitment to their own atheistic worldview themselves. The intensity and passion with which some atheists criticise religion can be comparable to religious fervour, and some have a strong emotional investment in their rejection of religious beliefs, especially if they have personal experiences with religion that they consider negative or harmful. This emotional intensity can lead to an aggressive expression of their views.

Like religious communities, Atheists often form tight-knit groups where shared beliefs and values create a sense of identity and belonging. In such cases, criticism of religion serves as a unifying force within the atheist community. Although they assert the absence of belief in deities, many vocal atheists approach their worldview with a high degree of certainty, similar to religious believers. This often comes across as dogmatic, especially in discussions with religious individuals.

Lastly, in societies where religion has played a significant role in shaping laws, policies, and cultural norms, atheists may feel a need to push back against what they perceive as undue religious influence. This resistance can contribute to a passionate and aggressive stance.

Some atheists critique religious institutions but hold broader ideological or philosophical positions beyond atheism. Although atheism doesn’t inherently prescribe any particular set of values or ideologies beyond that specific disbelief, individual atheists adopt various worldviews, ideologies, or political stances contributing to their overall perspective. In some cases, vocal atheists may align themselves with ideologies like secularism, humanism, or even anarchism.

Contempt for religious people can arise from various factors, such as personal experiences, disagreements over values and ethics, or frustration with perceived harm caused by religious institutions. But we must distinguish between criticism of religious beliefs or institutions and disdain for individuals who hold those beliefs or for people in general if they do not express criticism of religions.

There is a distinction between religion and honouring something one considers sacred, although the two concepts can be related. While religion often incorporates the concept of the sacred, not all instances of honouring the sacred are tied to organised religious systems. People may have deeply held personal or cultural beliefs that involve a sense of the sacred without adhering to a specific religious doctrine.

Honouring something sacred is a more general concept independent of organised religion. It involves recognising and showing deep respect for things considered special, holy, or set apart from the ordinary. Honouring something sacred may involve rituals, ceremonies, or personal practices reflecting reverence or significance. Sacredness can be attributed to various aspects of life, nature, relationships, or ideals. For example, an individual might consider nature, a personal value, or a cultural tradition sacred without being part of an organised religious system.

This is why I think that atheists often hold something sacred, even though they may not have thought about it very much. Whether their behaviour is in keeping with the sacred they revere, they must ask themselves. Examining the behaviour of atheists in relation to what they may hold sacred becomes a nuanced exploration. Some atheists may prioritise values such as reason, scientific inquiry, humanism, or social justice, and their actions should align with these principles. Others may emphasise personal autonomy, free thought, or secularism and reflect those ideas. The key is to engage in open and respectful dialogue, recognising the diversity of perspectives within the atheist community and beyond.

Freedom, from Abrahamic-Christian-Juden-Moslem-Tyranny.

Freedom, from mind-viruses and spiritual parasitism.

Freedom, to worship our Ancestors, the Old Gods, the European Pantheon.

You feel oppressed? That is interesting! You don’t feel represented, feel like a hard-done-by minority? I suppose ranting about other minorities is the best solution.

Oh, you can “catch” spirituality now? I didn’t know that, but I suppose masks won’t work … what? You always wear a mask, okay, that may be a good measure. But how do mind-viruses spread? I can’t see a mask helping with that. Oh, I see, you isolate yourself. Well, yes, I suppose that is one way. I still can’t see how mind-viruses work - perhaps you can explain.

Do you mean like Confucianism? In Confucian traditions, especially in East Asian cultures, filial piety is a key concept. It involves showing respect, obedience, and care for one’s parents and ancestors. This can include performing rituals, making offerings, and maintaining ancestral graves.

I’ve heard that people venerate the spirits of Ancestors through prayers, rituals, and offerings and that the idea is to seek guidance, protection, and blessings from the ancestors. Do you have altars or shrines dedicated to your ancestors? I’ve seen some that use photographs, personal items, and offerings such as food, candles, or incense. Families often gather at these altars during specific times or events to pay respects and seek the support of their ancestors.

Regarding the European Patheon, no unified pantheon encompassed all of Europe. Do you mean the Greek Pantheon? The ancient Greeks had a rich and complex pantheon led by gods such as Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Athena, and Apollo. These gods and goddesses were associated with different aspects of life, nature, and human endeavours.

You probably mean the Norse Pantheon, which was prominent in Scandinavia; there were gods like Odin, Thor, Freyja, and Loki. These deities were associated with war, thunder, fertility, and mischief. Although the Celts, who inhabited parts of Europe, including Ireland, Britain, and Gaul, also had a diverse set of deities associated with nature, war, and fertility. Examples include Lugh, Brigid, and Cernunnos. Something like that would better fit your attitude.

Dealing with one or two of you Abrahamic thralls, is fine, easy even… the problem is that there’s billions of you, Jewish Gollums.

You have it backward. I am the spirit; you are the parasite. Abrahamism is the parasitism, upon the European body, mind, and spirit.

You would know, if you were European. You might have been, 1000 years ago, but like most Abrahamics, you were converted at some point, and you’ve been a willing, enthusiastic, loyal Slave, since then.

I know what you mean. Only last year, I was driving down the M4 and on the radio, they said there was a wrong-way driver on the motorway, and I said, “You must be kidding. There are thousands of them!” Then the lefty-policemen stopped me and had the gall to say that I was driving the wrong way!

Aha, you think I’m the infection? Interesting, I wonder if I infected all of those patients of mine and the people I gave advice to when their elderly parents became bedridden. Especially those who were dying could have been infected. It is horrible to think what kindness can do.

Okay, you think I am no longer European? That is odd because I have dual nationality, and neither passports say “Abrahamism” on them. I can’t remember metamorphosing, but does a butterfly remember crawling about?

Lies are very comforting, I understand. Can you guess how many centuries ago your ilk converted? Was it by the sword, or voluntarily? I’m guessing yours did it voluntarily, without much resistance.

Nope, your poison works by destroying memories. Why does your ilk hate idol-worship, why do your LORDs outlaw it?

My particular type? Do you mean panentheism? The term was coined by the German philosopher Karl Krause in 1828 to distinguish the ideas of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel (1770–1831) and Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph Schelling (1775–1854) about the relation of God and the universe from the supposed pantheism of Baruch Spinoza, after reviewing Hindu scriptures.

I realised I was a panentheist a few years ago, but no sword was involved. :violence-duel:

Idol worship does seem a bit stupid. The worship of a cult image or “idol” made out of wood or stone as though it were a deity does seem even worse than saying a human being is God, although I have said in the past that if we are all expressions of the sacred Unity, then that wouldn’t be so bad.

I’m aware of your Spinozian influence. My question was, when were your ancestors converted to Protestants and Jews, and how?

No, your LORDs did not outlaw it because “it seems a bit stupid”. Abrahamism spreads its nihilistic parasites by severing humanity’s connection and relationship with Nature. And it’s your stated religion that says a human being is God. It’s humorous how you mix things up.

I’m becoming very aware of how little you are aware of. Look it up if you want to know how Christianity spread, I wasn’t around at the time.

How I mix things up :smiley: You are so mixed up that I can’t compete.

I don’t need to look it up. Your ancestors were enthralled by whatever Abrahamic variant you belong to, and here you are today, asking what Atheists hold Sacred. You can’t imagine the world without YHWH, Israel, and serving Jewish, Zionist interests. You can’t imagine rejecting it all, and becoming unaffiliated, or seeing Life without blinded eyes. I don’t expect that you can or will ever see such. You lack the ability and fortitude to understand such a foreign perspective.

“Atheist” is a term meant to deride rejection of “The Monotheist One God”. You are ignorant as to European Gods, or how they represent Nature.

And you, boy, are just an antisemitic waste of breath. You assume so much that facts don’t play a role. It is just your unbalanced imagination that makes your world. I couldn’t know that you would show such a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

My question about what atheists hold sacred didn’t have to be answered by you if you feel that it is a deriding term, but you did. For me, atheist means just that, someone who has no belief in the existence of God or gods. I couldn’t guess that you would answer, despite you having your “European Gods.” I really don’t care, but once again, you make a mistake and blame someone else for it. That is all you can do. There is always someone else to blame. You don’t get much more dazed and unable to think clearly than you.

Lastly, you know nothing about me. You can’t because you are unable to see beyond your monochrome version of the world. You see no colours, no nuance, no subtlety, no poetry, no beauty, no love. It is all manipulation for you because you have no substance, you are living on borrowed time, and when you’re gone, no one will even notice.

What do People who like strawberry ice cream hold sacred? Stereotype much?

How would you like a world where Bigfoot was held sacred? On the money it read “In Bigfoot We Trust.” There were buildings that people go to every Sunday to worship Bigfoot. The organizations that worship Bigfoot don’t pay taxes.
People wore gold Bigfoot necklaces. Everywhere you went people talked about Bigfoot. Children were brainwashed at a very young age to worship Bigfoot. Children were told to pray to Bigfoot, and that sometimes Bigfoot answers their prayers.
Would it seem silly to you that when a town burns to the ground in a wild fire, that someone responded by saying, “Thank Bigfoot my little dog was not killed in the fire”?
When a doctor saves the life of some dying person in the hospital, the first response out of the saved person is “Thank Bigfoot.”

Believers are absolutely NUTS!

So you hold nothing sacred! Also nuts!

Sacred is about getting the most people on your side as possible. We’re all accountable to each other.

That can work like the stock market.

Your stock goes up…

Your stock goes down.

That’s a warning from me motor daddy.

Your argument was elegant, but you missed a step.

Calm down there, German Zerker, you’re all bent out of shape. You had me worried there for a second, showing composure for a few responses in a row, thought you might be a worthy opponent to debate. Now I’m relieved.

I don’t need to know anything about you, really. I’m attacking the Nihilistic Disease that you carry, that separated you from your European birthright so long, long ago.

I have often wondered whether atheists value concepts related to transcendentals—attributes that are said to be universally present and true. The transcendentals are traditionally understood as the three properties of being: the Good, the True, and the Beautiful. These concepts have roots in classical philosophy, particularly in the works of Plato and later developed by philosophers like Plotinus.

The Good refers to the concept of moral goodness and the ultimate source of value. It encompasses ideas related to ethics, virtue, and pursuing the highest moral ideals.

The True represents the pursuit of truth and knowledge. It is associated with the idea that there is an objective reality, and our understanding of the world should align with this reality. Truth is often considered a fundamental aspect of wisdom and intellectual virtue.

The Beautiful pertains to aesthetics and the appreciation of beauty in various forms. It goes beyond physical attractiveness and can include the beauty of ideas, art, and experiences. The pursuit of the beautiful is often seen as a way to transcend the mundane and connect with deeper aspects of existence.

These transcendentals are considered to be interconnected and reflective of the ultimate nature of reality. Different philosophical and religious traditions may interpret these concepts differently, but they generally represent fundamental aspects of human experience and aspiration. I assume they also mean something to atheists but have their own specific meaning. It would be interesting to hear what an atheist would say to this.

I’m an atheist. I see pure spirit. As I was explaining about power in another thread. You need support to have power. The game is having the most support from others.

That keeps us good.

As for the rest… I never wanted to exist.

I know losing support sends you to hell, very deep pits of it.

Transcendence is a simple concept. “It’s all just constructs.” That’s easy to achieve. But there’s more work after that, you have to make friends. I use the word support instead of friends.

I only see beauty in crafting my new dimension.

It will be my masterpiece. I can’t do it alone though. To think so is foolish.

What I hold over everyone’s heads. You’re eternally damned if I don’t finish my project. Having been to the pits of hell. I already know what awaits you.

I’ll build the dimension myself. I just need to be left alone. That’s the only support I ask of you.

There doesn’t seem to be many atheists around, or none that hold anything sacred.

But all kinds of people hold various things sacred beyond religious beliefs. Here are some examples:

1. Family: Many people hold their family bonds and relationships sacred. Family values, traditions, and connections can be deeply cherished and respected.
  2. Cultural Heritage: Cultural identity and heritage can be sacred to individuals and communities. This includes customs, languages, arts, and historical landmarks that hold significance.
  3. Nature: For some, the natural world is sacred. They may hold deep reverence for the environment, ecosystems, and wildlife, seeing them as deserving of protection and respect.
  4. Personal Values: Individuals often hold their own principles and values sacred, such as honesty, integrity, compassion, and justice.
  5. Human Rights: Many people hold the principles of human rights and dignity as sacred. This includes beliefs in equality, freedom, and the protection of basic human rights for all individuals.
  6. Knowledge and Wisdom: The pursuit of knowledge and wisdom can be seen as sacred by many. This includes academic pursuits, philosophical insights, and cultural wisdom passed down through generations.
  7. Creativity and Art: Creativity and artistic expression can be held as sacred by both creators and audiences. Art, music, literature, and other forms of expression often hold deep personal and cultural significance.
  8. Community: Community bonds and relationships can be sacred to many individuals. This includes connections with neighbors, colleagues, or members of a shared interest or identity group.
  9. Memories and Traditions: Memories of significant events, as well as cultural traditions and rituals, can be held as sacred by individuals and communities.
  10. Justice and Fairness: Concepts of justice, fairness, and equity can be held as sacred principles by many, guiding their actions and beliefs about how society should function.

So it isn’t that sacredness is purely religious.

The whole idea that God has two purposes one for Israel and one for the Church is not biblical.
The jew has been grafted out of the vine but can be grafted back according to Paul if it (he or she) accepts Jesus.
The jews need to study the prophecies, go back to the Old Testament and read Daniel Chapter 8 and 9.
The city of Jerusalem is no longer a scared place because of the rejection and crucifixion of Christ.
Israel itself has divorced itself from God.
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQZBomfogUs]