What films are you watching right now?

m.imdb.com/title/tt10681322/

Hells yea I’m watching this one next.

Impossible, we all know the evil capitalist gringos invented putting their pilots and soldiers on drugs.

Ray c’mon let’s go

My arse let’s go… they’re filming midgets

youtu.be/eShXvAyfFjM

In Bruges

Masterpiece.

Actually a really cool town.

youtu.be/xl8zdCY-abw

This series is out-fucking-standing. I’ve been glued to it for the last 24 hrs and am now on season 2, episode 2. All day and all night I’ve been in this shit. Prolly another two days on it because I believe there’s a season three.

If you like that shit, I recommend you watch the Colombian narco-soap it’s based on:

Escobar: Boss of Evil (they translate as “lord,” but “patron” is a word Colombians use just for bossman).

What strikes you is the levity with which they did all this shit. They had so much fun.

The best is when he sends tanks into parliament.

The mentality of an Escobar correlates more with a Roman patrician than an Italian mobster or a Cuban revolutionary.

They got the end wrong, but what actually happened is disputable without autopsy reports. Most likely Pablo shot himself in the head on the roof rather than being killed by the police. They’d have gotten him anyway, but that’s not the point. The point is that Pablo took his own life before those corrupt fucks could finish him. Can’t know for sure without some forensics and a recovered bullet (the shot was in the ear).

But I’d never compare him to those useless bourgeois Roman patriarchs that were born into wealth. Pablo was a peasant when he started his criminal career.

But I had no idea how corrupt the Columbian oligarchic government really was until I dug in a little deeper. Vigilante right wing death squads sanctioned by the government to get it done, whatever it takes. My disgust with capitalism in Latin America just went up three notches, and my admiration for left wing guerilla warfare and organized crime has just been signed and sealed. I had no fucking idea how corrupt the Columbian ruling class was back then (and could still be for all I know).

Bro if blackie coulda got that car bomb a little closer to the presidential palace, he’da blown all those putas straight to hell.

The right wing death squads were created as a response to guerillas, whose favourite tactics include assassinations, kidnappings for any amount of time, extortion, rape, and torture. You are trying to understand something that is as available to you as quamtuum cryptography.

You watch one show, produced no doubt by Hollywood communists, and suddenly you are an expert in South American politics.

Colombia has had one of the most unprecedented rises from poverty in the last 20 years, because the government finally let the gringos in to deal with the drug oligarchs, as well as taking a heavy hand with the guerillas and basically wiping them out, and businesses were finally able to thrive. Comparing Colombia now to almost any South American country, except maybe some parts of Brazil and Chile, is like comparing Norway to Thailand. 20 years ago Colombians were fleeing their country in droves, and it was the laughing stock of the subcontinent.

We all fall in love with Escobar, because the motherfucker was a cowboy. But he and his kind were responsible for keeping Colombia in a quagmire of poverty and terror the likes of which a gringuillo like you could scarcely imagine.

Lol I knew it wuz comin. This is the part where I refuse to do the leg work to prove you wrong (I’m just too lazy). As a general rule, any economic improvement made by a capitalist system would be at least doubled had the same circumstances, people and effort they made available, existed. This is almost an a prior truth it’s so obvious.

… and please don’t play the ‘i’m from Venezuela u gringo, u know nothing about Latin America’ card, because u know jack shit about Colombia until u Google it.

You would need 10 years and 50 books.

Striken.

Yeah spell check thought I was talking about the clothing line.

Bro I don’t even think there are fifty books about Colombia.

Exactly.

Me and colombia are already off to a bad start. I’m doing some research on the history and what’s the first thing I see?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiento_de_Negros

I guess the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

I guess I’ll see you again in 10 years.

Hahahaha everything’s relatively good until the 20th century rolls around. No mention of any outstanding conflict until what happens?

Right wingers assassinate a liberal candidate for president.

“Its cause was mainly mounting tensions between the two leading political parties, which subsequently ignited after the assassination of the Liberal presidential candidate Jorge Eliécer Gaitán on 9 April 1948.”

And I thought this would involve some leg work. Lol.