What's for dinner?

The web says… to thicken sauces with cornstarch (will also probably help the flavours to bind together fully) and add a little sugar for that umami touch… but only to dishes that require a sweet edge.

I’ve tried to use 5 spice before… without success, so maybe a little of it goes a long way.
[/quote]
Chinese Five Spice is true in the count of spices within, but most Chinese five spices vary in their spices used which is a bummer if you are non-Chinese because you have no idea which tastes better. There are at least six different Chinese five spices on Amazon, maybe more. So I took a shot in the dark hoping I bought a winner. (zonk!)

Ham steak, butter beans, zucchini, and brussel sprouts soup seasoned with garlic, onion, black pepper and thickened with corn starch. Still simmering.

Sounds nice Wendy… I also bet it tastes nice too?

I had something similar for dinner too, but with minced lamb, carrot and courgette… stuffed now, until tomorrow now, until some time will arise when I will become hungry again, but until that time arises I will not be compelled to eat.

Delicious. The zucchini(courgette?) was unnecessary but it needed to be cooked up before it spoiled. Next time, more ham and brussel sprouts.

i bought a humongous cast iron pan and cooked these shortribs in it the other day. they were decent. it took forever.
Screenshot_20210319-212339_Gallery.jpg

this pan weighs like 20lbs and basically fills up an entire oven rack. it’s huge.

amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-74 … 03&sr=8-10

ignore that one with a piece of foil on top of it. cheap ass foil tore right off when i was basting those shits.

You cook? :open_mouth:

I liked the part of the description that said ‘easy to clean’. lol

Yeah, he’s a full blown gourmet, his stuff appears fancy schmancy and all that jazz. While it looks worthy, taste, tenderness is everything. Is it everything?

He definitely follows recipes better than I do.

Challenge for Mags-cook something completely new and different with pics. It can be an entire meal or one course, any course. Up for it? Have you ever made a seafood ceviche?

Taste is important, yes… for me, nutritional value and taste are the main priorities in my meals… in that order.

I have, yes… and a duck tartare with a pomegranate adornment, once, but I don’t think I’ll chance the health-risk a second time, in making another duck tartare. :laughing:

Currently poaching a whole chicken breast, in a garlic-and-ginger salt-and-pepper, seasoned broth. Will add some angled-cut vegetables and fresh chilli, when nearly ready… and serve.
__

Edited to add: I ate the entirety of it throughout the evening… must have needed the protein for my post-workout refuel. The flavours were amay.

i didn’t really follow a recipe i just watched a bunch of youtube videos when i was bored then went and got some shit and threw it all in that pan, put it at like 225 degrees and left it in there for like fucking forever pretty much all day. i put the potatoes and carrots and garlic chunks in there raw and just let them steep in there in the wine until they were all soft and the shortribs were done. they weren’t too bad but i think i can do better. gonna try again soon.

its just cast iron so you kinda clean it and put some oil on it so it doesn’t get rusty or anything its easy to clean but heavy especially with all that wine and all those shortribs in it.

i literally never go into grocery stores like ever except last week it was going to snow a lot so i went into one and got all this shit like i found a 10lb thing of ground beef and so for a week i just made tacos and burgers and once i just threw a big blob of meat onto a pan and baked it for a while and just had meat chunks for dinner. im probably going to have a heart attack or something.

That wasn’t the challenge dish, was it? There was no going out on a limb with that dish.

May make the marzipan later. Gotta buy the cashew flour and try to make a marzipan’ish dessert with it next.

Hmmm, wonder if the Thai spice mix will be better than the Chinese?

Making this egg, bacon, and veggie casserole again tomorrow, however this version will have more eggs and less flour.

I was right there with you… up until the meat chunks, lol, but nutritional input is nutritional input… right? at least you ate.

I have a self-cleaning oven… it was a godsend and a blessing all rolled into one [-o< lol. I shattered the glass door once, when I set it to clean without having first cleaned the grease off the glass… who knew that it would heat up like a mo-fo and so shatter, due to having to endure the higher temperature.

I want a self-cleaning house, but I fear that that ship may never arrive, well… not in my lifetime anyway.

Lol.

That was a quick n easy dinner, but the flavours were banging. I can cook most things, but I can’t eat most things, so I only cook what I can eat… paleo and low-FODMAP, which doesn’t make for a huge range of variety. Ah well.

Marzipan is awesome… almond flour sure makes good desserts.

I think that Thai flavours are easier to recreate at home than Chinese ones… though Chinese is delicious.

it’s gonna get like 1000 degrees in there you gotta be careful with that.

My version of ‘low carb’ marzipan. Hated having goopy hands so it didn’t get kneaded much. Also, I need to order a finer almond flour. Tastes pretty good though.

The door auto-locks itself, when in that mode.

Yesterday, had a sashimi salad dinner… salmon sashimi, on a grated-carrot julienned-cucumber and sliced ginger and chilli salad, with a simple fresh sea-salt and fresh lemon-juice dressing… followed by a slice of pan-fried chicken breast later in the evening… I was craving protein. :smiley: