Where does art come from?

Bob, I know you were born and grown up in England and lived in England until your military service. But you have been living in Germany for some time. Are you still thinking in English or already in German?

Hi Alf,
I do a bit of both, and I start writing in German sometimes but mostly in English. I translate everything into the respective ā€œotherā€ language, especially words that I initially canā€™t translate despite knowing their meaning. That is because I was always a communicator, and made a career in Germany, but took a lot of inspiration from Anglo-American sources.

Are you multilingual yourself?

That is probably because I read how language comes from primordial music, which evolved from the spontaneous rhythm of nature and developed more varied sounds. Flutes have been dated as 40,000 years old, suggesting that music was getting sophisticated even then. Learning to control the breath and recognizing the fundamental frequency or pitch must have come after learning to use the breath to form sounds which eventually became words. So, the theory that language evolved as songs borrowed their rhythm from nature supports the idea that early songs were initially an immediate participation in nature, echoing or mimicking its many sounds, and finally giving them a semantic symbol. Probably the sound an animal made was the initial ā€œnameā€ given to that animal, and so on, failing that, Owen Barfield wrote, ā€œWhen a new thing or a new idea comes into the consciousness of the community, it is described, not by a new word, but by the name of the pre-existing object which most closely resembles it.ā€

Ancient language symbolised many experiential correlations, the prime example being the word pneuma for wind, breath, and spirit. This indicates an immersive experience, with the spirit always present in the breath and the wind. It seems that Owen Barfield discovered this in ancient languages and said, ā€œBefore the scientific revolution, [man] did not feel himself isolated by his skin from the world outside to quite the same extent that we do. He was integrated, or mortised into it, each different part of him being united to a different part of it by some invisible thread. In his relation to his environment, the man of the Middle Ages was rather less like an island, rather more like an embryo.ā€

I also said,

That could show you that I am, in fact, on a different page to you.

For me, you are going off on a tangent, and it may all be correct and verifiable, but I am just saying that if I am impressed with a colour, a shape, or a curve that I try to mimic, I am not necessarily communicating, but trying to discover what that is. I may, as a result, wish to present my understanding and mimicry, but that is a second step. As an impressionable child, I drew many things that I saw, but the drawing was about me and the object, not about third parties.