Who REALLY wants pot to stay illegal?

Why don’t you ask the lawmakers and enforcers? I’m not a cop. I hate cops. I don’t understand why you’re asking in this thread. The question is misplaced, Kris. You might as well go in to a Baptist church and ask them for a copy of the koran.

Because not enough people ask cops. Instead of the jaywalk being odd on it’s own, she would be considered odd for asking.

Curioiusity is now deemed highly unsual.

I"ve heard parking meter cops talking with people about why they do what they do, and it sounded like the guy wanted to have purpose in his paycheck, that’s all.

Hard to have an opinion that goes against your bread and butter. Same as OP.

I am asking Humpty because, you claimed ;

Laws are not generally made based upon morality they are based upon hazardous situations that cause harm or or disruption or bring in money to coffers. There are pretty stupid laws in the books. You can’t take your horse into a bar or you can’t tie an alligator to a fire hydrant etc etc, There is a website dedicated to stupid laws still on state books and worldwide . I used to have it as a favorite because it was funny as hell. See if you can’t find it then tell me about laws and morality. :smiley:
There are laws that are supposed to be about morality but if you look closely those are the ones to fill coffers for the most part. Pot being illegal is one. Other hard drugs well, its fairly obvious having people being able to go out get crack or heroin or acid from the corner store is fairly stupid and dangerous. I for one do not want to go out on the streets knowing there are drivers by the dozens hopped up. It bad enough with drunk drivers , one or three tripping on acid would make the drunk drivers look fairly tame. Smoking pot is about the same as drinking. A bit of a different high but, still not as dangerous as the others.

You smoke it anyway.

Not me anymore I am allergic to it. I get epileptic seizures from it. Not a cool thing to have happen. Found out that it was the THC from tests and I quit. I was 18 when that happened, Heck I only got to get high for about 6 months. Found out from those tests that I have a sensitivity to many drugs… I stick to beer. :smiley:

I didn’t really mean you.

Yeah, it gave me trouble eventually too. Used to love it. Now the smell of it reminds me of those troubles. No more.

Yea, smells can drag memories back hard can’t they? I walk near airplanes , smell the jet fuel and grease and it brings back pleasant memories from childhood. My Dad was a jet mechanic for the military. He would come in the door pick me up and give me a big hug, he always smelled of fuel and grease. I love that smell. On the other hand I smell cherry flavored anything and it brings back memories of chronic pain and illness, Horrific cough syrup and pills… yeck.

I didn’t say anything about how they’re made. I was talking about how they’re presented. Look at this: link. These sorts of questions wouldn’t even arise if people recognized laws for what they are. This person asked this question because something, somebody, presented laws to him as fundamentally moral. This IS how laws are presented. It wouldn’t make sense to kidnap people and lock them up in a dungeon for some amoral reason. Nobody would stand for that (I hope nobody would stand for that). People have to think it’s moral, or else they would fight the system.

Not all laws are presented as moral. Sure the major crime ones are but, so many of the minor ones are not. And that is why I gave the jaywalking law as an example. what moral could possibly be presented for Jaywalking? If as you say the law enforcers present laws as moral then you should be able to say what morality is being abused when a person jaywalks. If you can do that then daaamn you have my respect for being able to pull something out of nothing. :smiley:

I imagine they’d say something like, “It’s endangering your own safety and the safety of drivers and passengers in cars.” Wasn’t that hard to figure that one out kris.

So how is that moral? Is it an intentional endangering??? If it is intentional then I would agree with you.

I don’t know of too many incidents of accidental jay-walking

Endangering others (without their consent) can certainly be a moral evil, and thus justifiably criminalized.

Endangering yourself (and, equivalently, others with their consent) is different. If we believe in self-ownership (the alternative being some degree of slavery), it is not clear how we can justify criminalizing self-endangering.

Oh come on, Humpty you know what I mean, Is the Jaywalker intentionally out to cause harm? Morality is intent not action.

You’re allergic to THC, or allergic to (something in) weed?

I really, really want pot to remain illegal.

I also want to illegalize smoking and drinking alcohol.

And what else? Fatty foods? Mountain climbing?

How about mandatory morning exercises? One of the early scenes in ‘1984’ comes to mind…

Its the THC. I had our family doctor run some tests. The THC builds up in a gland at the base of my skull or somewhere near there and does not leave so when there is too much in my system Wham, epilepsy time. That was pretty expensive for a kid making minimum wage, but, I could not let my folks know. Found out that because of my genetic makeup I tend to be fairly sensitive to chemicals natural and manmade. Yippeee :unamused: . Redhead, browneyed people are so rare that they really have never studied our gene makeup and why the difference. I in 10000 or 15000 redheads are born brown eyed. The Doc wanted to take some more tests for free, for the medical field. Oh sure just poke the crap out me and make me a lab rat… No thanks :smiley:

I may restrict excessive gorging and consumption of sugar, but not illegalize any food, drink, or diet by law.

Mandatory exercise seems like a good one; I’d have mandatory exercise too. I don’t see the point of tolerating any type laziness in a society.

Totally missed the point.