Who Someone Is

If you ever feel like there are things about you that no one else can relate to, that’s who you are.

But you are also the things (about you) that other people can relate to, and/or the things (about other people) that you can relate to. As long as you have your own reasons for why it’s relatable to you, having something in common with someone else doesn’t mark you as inauthentic. But if you say no (or yes) to those things when others don’t, that (saying no/yes) is you more than it is others.

If you can’t figure out where you got it from and you don’t observe it in anyone around you, it’s you.

Or it’s in your genes.

Or … ____.

Friendship is seeing the same thing about yourself in someone else (that you don’t often see in others), and being okay with it, or at least accepting it.

Ichthus wrote,

That is not necessarily so, Ichthus. It may just be that someone has not yet met those people who are willing to understand and to accept him or her - and also say: "Hey, that is me too! I am just like that.

It may also mean that a person is not at the point in their own life where they can accept and understand who they themselves are.

It may have more to do with someone lacking confidence in their self or having low self-esteem.

I think that having that kind of attitude/perspective can put one into a very lonely atmosphere.

God is a being who is sui generis, yet we are made in his image. Do you think he lacks self-esteem?

I was speaking about us humans, not God.
How can we even think in terms of self-esteem where God is concerned?

Give me a few examples how we are made in God’s image.

That’s very well-said, and I agree… for me, it’s not so much about being the same as our peers/others, as it is about understanding the/each other(s) and respecting others’ boundaries.

I agree, MagsJ. I’m sure Arc does, too. I think we’re all saying the same thing from different angles.

Arc thinks it is important to recognize sameness, and I agree. You think it is important to recognize otherness (boundaries), and I agree. I doubt Arc would disagree with that.

Sameness doesn’t mean “not an individual”. Just like God being sui generis (Original) doesn’t rule us out as being made in his image: able to treat each other as a self, and respect each self’s otherness (boundaries).

…another excellent question, that needs to be answered.

The way Kant used it, self-esteem means responsibility or ownership of our choices.

Or.God helps those who help themselves

Ka’t must’ve heard it.

It means we have what it takes to treat the other as self. In his image.

In other words… we can show others the same mercy he shows us (unless we don’t).

To be perfectly responsible is to be perfectly merciful. To esteem yourself rightly is neither false humility or overinflated pride.

It also means to care about one’s self - one’s mind, body, emotions, spirit in a way which does no harm but rather protects and makes one’s life well worth the living - just as we would want to do for others or someone who we value and esteem.

The opposite end of that pole would be ego and arrogance.

A balanced view. Thank you for sharing it.

_
…but will it resonate, with whom it was intended for. :-k

MagsJ, I need a hug.

That is a good question, MagsJ.
It is a journey and a process so hopefully at some point in time it will resonate, maybe with a shiver up and down the spine lol when the signal is meant to be “picked up”.

When was the last time you closed your eyes, gave yourself a hug and just listened?

When was the last time you closed your eyes, gave yourself a hug and just listened?

When was the last time I didn’t is a better question.

What would you really like to say, Arc?

G’head. We’re all ears here.

Ichthus,

May the LORD bless you and keep you;
May the LORD make his face to shine on you and be so, so gracious to you;
May the LORD lift His countenance toward you and give you His perfect peace.

Amen.