Why is God male?

In the bible man is created in Gods image. However the bible was written in a time of complete male dominance. So when written it would obviously be written by men for me to read. So to have God as a female would just not happen.

However in this day of modern feminism, if the bible were to be written today, would God be a woman?

It could happen. God is a male because the culture that gave us our teachings on God has firmly entrenched gender-concepts, and God seemed to resemble the masculine moreso to them. Whether or not those gender concepts have any objectivity to them, and to what degree they apply today, would be a subject for another time.

In Plato’s Cratylus, Socrates gives a modest attempt in discerning the etymology of ‘god(s)’:

Thus the word ‘theos’ originally refers to motion (or running). While my knowledge of Greek is nonexistent, I suspect it was not a sexually-influenced decision to deem God a male (i.e. something with a penis) - but rather a linguistic necessity, much as how in other languages (German for example) most inanimate objects are either masculine or feminine. Perhaps I am incorrect, but one could argue, therefore, God is not male at all in the biological sense, but only linguistically.

Daybreak hit it on the nose. It is common practice across all cultures to assign male or female attributes to concepts. Oddly, in some matrilineal cultures, the dominant God(s) ARE female, but there is usually a male or two hanging around for… well, you know.

We usually use “he” as a neutral pronoun, although I don’t know, whether language/habit was the same for the people who wrote the old and new testament.

Should the Bible have read “She”, I’d be more assured that the writers really meant a female.

Acutally, Niclas, that’s a point that even applies today- when someone refers to God as ‘she’, they are more likely to be stating something meaningful and important by using that pronoun, where as someone using ‘he’ is more likely to just be using it as a placeholder. That’s the main reason why I’ll never refer to God as ‘She’ in discussion- not because I think God is a dude, but because using ‘She’ implies certain beliefs and associations that I don’t share.

Also, the Bible and other sacred texts use a pronoun to describe a function. When the active force of God’s will or yang is being described, then it is described as male (active). The soul and wisdom for example is portrayed as female or yin (passive) in relation to it.

Of course by the time the PC experts get through with destroying the Bible by removing these descriptive pronouns, it will be much more difficult for future generations to derive the meaning from it they could.

I answer this question a long time ago.
If God was not male why would he choose a woman to bear his son?

Because men don’t bear children.

Because the males had status/reputation. So, the Catholic Church wants you to think God is male, boosting men’s status.

This is basically a semantical question. Same question as " why human is often referred as MAN?"

If God created MAN to be his image, where does that place women? joking :wink:

Wants WHO to think that? Men, who were the only ones reading theology or getting educations back in the day? Women, who were too busy keeping homes to care? Talking about preaching to the choir...

Or are you trying to say that the whole “God is male” thing was written into the Bible in the 70’s to combat the bra-burners?

My point exactly. :wink:

God as she does not offend me , i just have to be more cautious around her territory (everywhere :astonished: ).
God as a male , ok this i refuse to argue with because well i personally don’t see it even though jesus is sometimes considered god for some reason id’e rather not know.
Niclas pats your shoulder welcome to ILP , you can call me matt
(if you want , people usually don’t).

It stems mostly from the idea (that still exists) that a “man” is the head of a household.

God is the head of the household in regards to Humanity, therefore, God woud have to be male.

Archaic, outdated, and biased - yes. But you have to remember the time in which a single “God” (as oppposed to many God’s and Goddess’ were worshiped) was born. Added to that the time in which the bible was written - and it makes perfect sense.

Of course Mary is refered to as Mother Mary - Mother of Christ (and in some circles refered to as “little Mother”) It’s why we refer to Nuns of a higher order as “Mother” - wives of God.

I see no reason in pulling apart ancient (albiet outdated) texts for the sole purpose of political correctness. Whether you believe or don’t in Christianity or even a God is entirely beside the point - bigger and more important issues require our attention.

No, I don’t, because now you can’t be gender spcific, so I think if the Bible was to be written today, God would be God, or an it.

only a man could be so arrogant and so incompetent at the same time

How is what I said arrogant?

The Creator Being is no less duality than anything else in creation.

Talmud and Kabbalah …

The interesting part, as especially concerns the created, manifested, occurs with a dialogue between Creator and the right “hand” of said being, Sophia … in the english translation … or the “wisdom of creative force”.

No thing of particular masculine traits could create a manifested physical dimension of such inspiring, intense beauty, and utter, violent certainty.

Duality. No thing is of but one part.

God is absolute. God is neither masculine nor feminine.

A