Philosophy ILP style

Why can’t Biggus just admit that he made a mistake on the distance to Galactic Center and he meant to write “years” instead of “light-years”?

So much simpler and more honest than what he is doing.

Actually, the fact is that you accuse me of this when the points raised in bold above was taken from an article I read in regard to an assessment from nasa. So, if there is a mistake, I am not the one who made it. Besides, the point was that even if we could travel at 186,000 miles a second it would still take us four and a half of our years to reach that destination. The main point then being to note just how simply staggeringly immense just our own galaxy is in an observable universe containing about 200 billion additional galaxies: nasa.gov/feature/goddard/20 … ly-thought

Now, in regard to your own particular “I” here what are the odds that those who don’t agree with everything that you say are talking “rubbish”?

Taking me back to this:

Let’s explore this together, okay? If nothing else, you may well succeed in embarrassing yourself less.

How did I make the mistake in merely noting an assessment from nasa above?

Oh, and when are you going to get around to responding substantively to the points I raised about the points you raised about me above. Think of all the additional mistakes you might find!!!

And mostly what I am doing with you is chipping away at whatever is left of your very own Real Me. Convince me that it is as rock solid as it once was 10 years ago.

After all, how else to explain your at times barely contained reaction to me? :sunglasses:

Even regarding something that is basically irrelevant to the point I am making about “the gap” in exploring what you think you know about abortion and Communism and all that there is to be known going back to all that none of us really know about the existence of existence itself.

Chip…chip…chip, :wink:

:cry:
Do you need someone to talk to?
:cry: :frowning:

Maybe you just did not understand what you were posting?
Why don’t you go back and look at your mistake?
The error is with you, not NASA.

You typed this

“To reach the center of the Milky Way galaxy it would take 100,000 light-years.”

This is bollocks.
Obviously you are not big enough to admit it.
This makes you look stupid.

Do you need me to explain your mistake again?

You are demonstrating exactly the sort of bullheaded intrasigence of the ILP Forum.

iambiguous is, of course, incorrect when he writes that it would take “100,000 light years” to reach the center of the Milky Way from here, and I’m sure he misread whatever NASA source he used.

From here, the distance to the center of the Milky Way is about 25,000 light years. This means that it would take light, which always travels at c in a vacuum, 25,000 years to travel from earth to the center of the galaxy.

How long it would take an astronaut to travel to the center of the galaxy is an entirely different matter. It would depend on his velocity.

What iambiguous meant to say is that it would take an astronaut 100,000 years, not light years, to travel from here to the center of the galaxy, but even this is true only if the astronaut were traveling at 25 percent of the speed of light. At different velocities, the transit time would be different.

No material object can travel at light speed. However, in principle anyway, space ships could be accelerated to an appreciable fraction of the speed of light — though almost certainly this can’t be done in practice, since the energy requirements would be, well, astronomical. The faster an object travels the greater its mass, hence the more energy that would be needed to accelerate it faster. For a material object to travel at light speed means it would need an infinite amount of energy, clearly impossible.

But if you could accelerate a ship to, say, 99 percent of the speed of light, then it could arrive at the center of the galaxy in a little over 25,000 years.

But there’s a catch! This transit time would only be as judged from the earth. It would be an entirely different matter on the space ship. The traveler’s clock, ticking normally, would estimate the transit time to the center of the galaxy as a few weeks, a few days, even a few minutes or seconds depending on how fast it was actually traveling. This is because space is relativistically length-contracted in the direction of the ship’s motion. So the trip could be quite short indeed from the standpoint of the ship if it were traveling very close to the actual speed of light. This fact, of course, is the root of the so-called Twin’s Paradox, which isn’t really a paradox.

The fact is that it’s 25,000 light years to the center of the galaxy, and if a traveler’s clock reads a few seconds to get to the center of the galaxy, then it’s a fact that his clock is WRONG!

If it took him 1,000 years according to his clock to get to the center of the galaxy, he MUST be saying he is traveling 25 times faster than the speed of light, because it takes light 25,000 years to get there!

I posted this 10 years ago:

Say a star was 100 light years away from you. It emitted light in the year 1911, and the light arrived at your position in the year 2011. Just as the light reached you, you started traveling towards the star at 2c (twice the speed of light). As you traveled towards the star you would be encountering younger and younger light from the star that was emitted after the original light that emitted in 1911 that reached you when you started traveling.

When you get to within 50 light years of the star, you will have traveled for 25 years, and traveled a distance of 50 light years. So the year is 2036, and the light that hits you there was emitted 50 years ago, so the light left the star in the year 1986.

When you get to within 25 light years of the star, you will have traveled for 12.5 more years (37.5 total), and traveled a distance of 25 light years (75 light years total). So the year is 2048.5, and the light that hits you there was emitted 25 years ago, so the light left the star in the year 2023.5.

When you get to within 1 light year of the star, you will have traveled for 12 more years (49.5 total), and traveled a distance of 24 light years (99 light years total). So the year is 2060.5, and the light that hits you there was emitted 1 year ago, so the light left the star in the year 2059.5.

When you get to the star, you will have traveled for .5 more years (50 years total), and traveled a distance of 1 light year (100 light years total). So the year is 2061, which is 50 years later than when you left in 2011, because you traveled for 50 years.

And what makes you think that he meant that? He never said anything like that.
The greatest speed ever achieved by a space craft is 0.05% the speed of light. (a solar probe)
THe big problem is that the faster you go the more mass you have that resists more acceleration. There is no means by which any craft could ever achieve a quarter of the speed of light. And the other things is that having reached a great speed there would also have to be a period of decelleration that would mean that you would just go speeing by.
Additionally the centre would not be where it was when you started out. Add to that the gravitational forces pushing this way and that during the trip. It would be very difficult to calculate this 3 body problem.

No, you are completely wrong. If his clock says it took him 1,000 years to get to the center of the galaxy, it is because space is length contracted in the direction of his motion. This is because the speed of light is measured to be invariant in all inertial frames. It would take him 1,000 years because the distance he travels is shorter form his point of view, than it is from the point of view of the earth.

Well, I think he did mean to say 100,000 years, because what he actually said, 100,000 light years, makes no sense. I think he just made a simple mistake and wrote “light years” when he meant to write “years.”

NO, YOU are completely wrong!

Light travels at 299,792,458 m/s, in a vacuum. If it takes light 25,000 years to travel from Earth to the center of the galaxy, then the DISTANCE between Earth and the center is 25,000 light years. NON Negotiable!

BY DEFINITION, the distance from Earth to the center is 25,000 light years. That distance is NOT observer dependent!

You are assuming Einstein’s 2nd postulate is correct, and it is NOT!

Einstein’s second postulate is that light is the same as measured in all inertial frames. This has been empirically demonstrated to be correct. If you think these demonstrations are false, the burden of proof is on you to show why. I suggest you take it to the relativity denialism thread you started sometime back. Should be good for a hoot! :laughing:

Postulate one, the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames. Postulate two, the speed of light is the same as measured in all inertial frames. Consequence: relativity of simultaneity, time dilation and length contraction. Pretty simple.

Already done! See my thread Absolute Velocity
ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=197281

We can continue this discussion in that thread. Start by explaining why it took .65 seconds to get to the Z receiver. Mind you, the numbers and equations are flawless, of which I created those equations!

TOTAL BS!

What you have on your hands is a piece of trash theory that uses a box of Band-Aids to cover all the wounds.

See Fudge Factor on Wiki, and how Einstein OWNS that page! LOL

:astonished:

Whatever you say, Motor Mouth! :mrgreen: I still like your avatar!

When you can tell me why it took .65 seconds then we can talk. Til then your BS remains BS! :smiley:

I don’t think it is flawless.

Your light square - it contracts in size because of its speed.

:greetings-clappingorange: