carl sagan: quote unquote

No, once the light surrounded me, I didn’t try recalling anything previous. I wish that happened, I’d love to see life on fast reel, but no. Did that happen for you?

Yes. I fell from grace after I worried about my physical body which was in a car crossing railroad tracks.

I guess doubt caused me to fall back then.

Every time I dream of forever, I still want to know, is it forever? Think I need to supress that question next time.

Was it truly doubt or fear of the unknown, surrendering to it? I didn’t state that clearly, like did your doubt stem from the fear of the unknown like the reason you doubted?

So you were not meditating at the time? You were in traveling car?

I can’t say it was fear. All I can guess is that it was too good. When I stood up from the meditation, I remember thinking I’m not good enough to receive that. I didn’t have that thought at the time I was in the light, but maybe a small hint of that idea was down deep.

Yes, one second enjoying the car radio and the smell of the forest in summer as I crossed the tracks, bam, in the dandelion yellow of the emotion of peace pouring through my soul body which fed on it like a greedy baby at first.

OMG Babe, I felt unworthy too but that didn’t start my fall

From my understanding there is a difference between whether the light sort of comes to you or you go towards it. I’m not exactly sure what that difference is or means. But the fact that you were just going about your day or night when it happened is pretty amazing.

Beyond belief. In my thirties, I tried to meditate my way back there over the course of a year. Daily hours devoted to willing my way back to one partial raising of my conscious soul about 3 feet over my body but I was so shocked that it happened I fell back into my body again.

It’s a bitch to do when conscious. Hear people do it while sleeping all the time.

I actually didn’t meditate for a while after that. You would think I’d try again soon. But I didn’t. And when I finally did, I was trying for precisely that, which affected the quality of my focus. I think perfect focus on the breath is what led to it, but I cant reproduce it.

Once was enough to change some of my beliefs.

I kinda think I was simply content in that moment that it happened. I didn’t give it much consideration immediately afterwards other than it was special, I was only 18 at the time. Didn’t start gathering clues until around 32.

I levitated in a lucid dream, in which I was half asleep. Felt powerful.

Yeah, I have had some semi lucid dreams like I knew I was dreaming but wasn’t able to control the dream.

Well, I’m happy to meet someone online who experienced something similar. And I hope I gave ya some good clues on this magical mystery tour. I’ll probably be on the lookout for dandelions next time.

Sounds like astral projection, but dreams make it messy, more like hallucinations of the imagination.

Dandelion color of yellow. Very comforting on the spiritual eyes. Thanks for sharing and never hesitate to share more.

Nice to know the yellow color was comforting. The white was very bright and at the same time in no way harsh, so soothing.

We’ll talk again and share when the spirit mooooovves us.

my father teaches
that on top of your head
rests a lotus flower
and that while you meditate
you visualize the petals opening
and it floods your body with light
as reveals a jewel inside
a god within you
who is the solar angel
a being of a much higher hyerarchy
who bound itself to you
to tutor the development of your consciousness
he is you
he is the part of you that isn’t an ape
he’s pulling the you you out of the ape
little by little
as a part of an effort to collect
all of the little bits of cousciousness from the universe
all sources of light
and make them grow
and unite them
so when you sing the hundred sylables
you call to him
the vajrasattva
to protect your little self
and never let you go
to grow the light in you
to purify you
and guide you to the realization of his solar nature
making you one

dad has been known to be eccentric

Phoneutria,

Loved that whole thing. Felt transported by it. Want to print it out frame it. Or else live it. The last line was so funny. :smiley:

Not sure if this exchange would qualify as an example of Sagan’s assessment in the OP.

But, in my view, it is somewhere in the vicinity of it.

Sagan of course was a scientist. So what would no doubt intrigue him is the extent to which experiences like this can be reconfigured into more substantive evidence for the existence of God and of Heaven.

Whereas my own interest in them revolves more around this: ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop … 5&t=196522

You know, just in case either of them is interested in an exchange more along these lines.

See how it works?

Dasein.

She had this particular father who imparted to her this particular “spiritual” narrative. Others have very different fathers who impart very different lessons instead.

The part where “I” becomes this “existential fabrication” derived from the unique lives that we lived.

Now, however, we need a particular context in which to explore this sort of “spiritual” thinking given that others will have been raised to think very, very different thoughts about God and religion out in particular worlds understood in particular ways.

Then the part where as philosophers we attempt to pin down the most rational manner in which to think about God and religion.

You know, if that’s even possible.