Calling All ILP Historians! (A Selfish Request from psyque)

For those who know the REAL me, you know that I am too busy to return to this site with the same fervour I had a number of years ago when I last visited here. For those who know only the persona (my new name and the title of the Subject says it all), please don’t waste my time with silliness. I’m asking this out of sheer curiosity with no other motive: I was recently wondering whatever happened to the people I used to engage on this site a number of years back; I’ve incorporated some of those experiences into my lectures and media appearances over the years and even reached out to Tab Rasa via Facebook a little while back–somehow his name popped up as someone I might know but he never responded to my message. But I never returned to this site until now because I realized just how easy it is to become consumed in mental masturbation and flame wars with people whom I don’t even know and who, because of the nature of the net, are able to address me in ways they wouldn’t be able to do in real life. If you think this post reads as arrogant, please get over it; I’m simply stating facts.

In any event, out of nostalgia, I was hoping to get an update on whatever happened to some of the main characters that used to populate this site maybe seven or eight years ago (I cannot remember when exactly I was last here). If any of them are still around and want to comment, please do. If anyone wishes to report on their latest or last activities on I.L.P., that would be greatly appreciated as well. As stated above, this is simply a request out of curiosity and nostalgia–nothing more. I am far too busy to engage in any silliness so please understand that I am not looking for anything beyond information. If anyone wants to PM me, please feel free to do so as well.

All the best,

psyque_just_briefly

Hi Psyque, assuming you are the real psyque and not some witty imposter,

I’m back here again, having broken away from the site several times but always found a reason to get drawn back. I still have some fun here but it’s also because there are a number of posters who’ve been here for years who I’ve always found interesting and want to at least get what the fuck it is they are on about. The most amusing recent episode was a Cuban Missile Crisis moment with the mods that resulted in Pav starting a thread asking if he should quit as a mod that degenerated into some extreme silliness very quickly.

You might say that nothing’s changed.

Hi SIATD,

Yes, it is really I. It’s funny but good to see you back here. I actually remember some of our more “interesting” exchanges quite vividly. Thank you for the update. I’m trying to recall if Pav is the globe-trotting entrepreneur who had a head shaped like an Eastern European (according to The Adler). Sadly, I do remember such details, whereas I can barely remember what I had for breakfast these days, since I am back to my 100-hour work weeks and so any new information does not stick as well as things that I SHOULD have purged from my memory but which is still kicking around in there…Of course, if Pav is someone else, than I’m an idiot…

Hey psyque it’s Gobbo.

Hi SIATD. Yes, it is I. I wrote a message earlier today but I don’t see it posted–have I been “banned lite” already? I hope this message gets through; I will not re-write the entire post I had written in case it’s going to show up later. If it doesn’t, I’ll write again. Thanks for responding–I remember you well…

Hey Gobbo,

How’s my favourite fellow pot-smokin’, ball-playin’, conspiracy-proferrin’ Canuck?

Hi psyque,

There are few if any of the people you engaged with that many years ago. The internet is very convenient. Just a click of the mouse and it all disappears. That has been the pattern here. Some of us drift back now and again, but most just disappear into their real lfe - or find another hobby. SIATD had it pretty much right. I can’t think of anyone who has been around consistently if at all, so I can’t help you very much. Hope things are going swimmingly for you. Thanks for dropping in.

Thank you, tentative. I’m not going to write much b/c I’ve written several messages over the past few days and none of them has been posted. Here’s hoping…

This might be of interes to you psyque:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169817&hilit=ilp+legends

Hi psyque, sorry for the delay. First five posts require mod approval, and we’ve been a bit short-staffed lately. But you’ve passed your five now, the rest of your posts will be visible straight away.

Thank you for explaining that, only_humean. I shall now respond freely (but appropriately–don’t worry!)

Now that I know my responses will be posted, I will thank you properly, tentative. I’ll also peruse the site a bit to see if a few old-schoolers have returned for nostalgia’s sake.

Thank you, oughtist. Great link! It gives a good retrospective of the people I remember (many of them at least). I literally laughed out loud when I saw the impression that I happened to leave.

I appreciate the feedback that various people have provided. Would anyone of these people–or others–be able to give me a line on either Shyster or Tab? I had both of them in my Email lists years ago but Email accounts come and go, unfortunately…Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, I checked out the thread in the Psychology and Mind section (natch) dealing with Pedophilia and the DSM-5, since those are issues I speak about in class and in the media regularly. I soon received a stark reminder about why I had to avoid these kinds of forums in the first place: Notwithstanding the great potential to debate or share ideas with incredibly intelligent, insightful, creative, articulate etc. individuals, these kinds of sites can lead to hours upon hours of fruitless discussion with people who are not capable of modifying their positions no matter what. Rigidity truly is the antithesis of any discourse–or mental health…

Hmm… How true, how true…

That’s called “projection” when you do that: disowning our own traits onto another.

That’s called ‘one-upping’ in NVC. In philosophy-speak it’s called “argument from authority”. In colloquial language it’s called ‘putting on airs’, it’s done to try to conceal an insecurity… such as if someone doesn’t really have much insight about an issue they pretend to be open-minded and well informed about. Hmm…

I’m not really an ILP historian, but I’ve been here for a good while. Pretty much just talking about smoking weed until someone says something that’s just too easy to attack. Then I just go back to talking about drugs again. Yeah, that’s about it.

Good :slight_smile:

Pav is PavlovianModel146, the mod of the Social Sciences forum and he’s a quite stationary hotel manager from what I know. I’ve got no idea who the person is that you’re thinking of, but then I never paid much attention in phrenology class. You are a lot of things, but an idiot is not one of them. For what it is worth I look back on your verbal assault on me with some fondness, and thank you for it. I am a much happier person now than I was then.

Tab is still about occasionally on ILP, and I imagine you can contact him via his blog at:
writeitorbust.blogspot.co.uk/

Good to see that, Gobbo. And I appreciate the irony in your new name…

Hmmm…I do remember the name but I’m trying to remember why I would remember you in particular. The weed smoking was more a Gobbo thing–not that it’s not common among many people, but it was “his” thing on ILP…I’ll have to infer that we didn’t have any memorable run-ins–which is probably a good thing… :wink: