Come Back!

I miss anyone that I could have a healthy discussion with… sprinkled with humour and lacking uncalled for aggression - Typist and Maynard James Keenan… those two I miss the most.

Thanks Obe. :slight_smile:

I have a sense of humor. :slight_smile:

Can’t you see that I’m always laughing at the world? Can’t you see me smiling all the time?

I bet that I could get a laugh or chuckle out of you.

All great suggestions; especially Xunzian.

I thought he got banned for some reason, but Imp definitely belongs on the list.

Definitely!

Well, I think it’s fair to say your assessment of James is rather charitable, albeit a little disturbing. You seem to treat him like a sort of sage or spiritual advisor.

I bet you could :wink:

I for one don’t miss the drunken master.

His philosophy was way too esoteric. It was always eastern philosophy this and eastern philosophy that.

You know there are books on eastern philosophy available for anyone to read.

I prefer Western over Eastern. Less emphasis on mysticism.

You know, at first glance I was inclined to agree with you, but I’m actually not so sure that’s correct.

Wuddup, brethren.

Wassup kid? Glad you stopped through. How goes it?

I saw a post by you over at KTS and thought it was a sad state of affairs that you’d rather post your ideas there than here.

Sometimes you wannnna go, where everyyybody knows your name…
aaaand they’re always glad you came…

What I’m curious to learn is this: how much closer to “objective morality” are they over at KTS?

And a sad state of affairs indeed: knowthyself.forumotion.net/t1486-this-and-that

Mo and Satyr: Towering male egos more in line with this:

He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles from The Magus

More and more I am convinced exchanges of this ilk revolve around this. The more impotent some folks [mostly men] are the more they seem compelled to huff and puff in places like that. And places like this too. And I don’t necessarily exclude myself either. But these things [human motivation and intention] are always so damn complex.

That’s actually a far more interesting thread than what’s been going on here lately.
Mo is being tested but he’s also testing Satyr. They are both wrong in opposite directions, one missing the honesty and another the optimism to arrive at an actual statement.

True. Way too many Kids here. And, as I noted above [or somewhere], it is obvious that Satyr has given some serious thought to many of the things that folks tend to think of philosophers pursuing. So has Monooq/Mo/von rivers.

But, as I proposed to statiktech above, they are both locked into this bullshit psychological agenda where the other has to admit that he is wrong. In this respect they are [to me] both moral and political objectivists.

In this sense: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296

All that “I am a river to my people” crap.

Well, if it is crap of course.

Nice catch with the disclaimer at the end.

It seems to me little difference if one labels people negatively because they will not admit one cannot be certain about something
or one labels people, if Mo has for example, because they will not admit there are moral truths. It seems to me both sides want the other to perform a linguistic move the other is unwilling to make. And here we have the epistemological relativist - meaning you - putting people in a set with a label, a set you elsewhere blame for making things worse - with occasional disclaimers.

I find this high moral ground, because it is one, with an occasional disclaimer, rather odd.

But you know that.

It’s just that you worded things a new way, and so here I am, coming at it from yet another fruitless angle.

It’s not an agenda, it’s called an argument. You’ll find those occur in philosophy pretty often. Nobody has to admit anything as a good argument should speak for itself.

That, in my opinion, is still more productive than simply throwing your hands up and remaining in a state of relativistic indifference because the subject is complicated.