The Inner Way

People are born into this world dependent upon their parents to explain what life is all about. The problem is that many parents in areas where Christianity was dominant haven’t fathomed this out for themselves, let alone able to pass the acquired understanding on. Christianity has failed to gather the majority of a formerly Christian population under its wing, except where fundamentalist and conservative beliefs are still active.

The odd thing about these groups is that they are very often opposed to each other, so that one can hardly speak of one faith in one set of doctrines. It is probably this acrimony towards each other that weakens the position of Christianity in the world, which can only be offset by the military and economic strength of those primarily Christian countries. This in itself, judged by the recorded words of Christ, is a sure sign of its failure. It is disturbing that countries who profess themselves as Christians should be initiators of an economic system that contradicts at all levels the ideas of Christ.

There seems to be only one refuge for those attracted by the gentleness and humility of Jesus and that is in eastern wisdom, where the practise of introspection, common to Semitic and Indo-Germanic teaching, is still active. Of course, the first excursions of western people into eastern meditation was accompanied by mistakes and exploitation, but it became apparent for a number of these, that Christianity does not lack introspection, but that it has been merely covered for many people throughout history – especially under influence of the modern. Some of these people have returned to Christianity and are attempting to regain the contemplative perspective.

I think that Christianity needs its myth as a myth and not dished up as history or proven fact. The figure of Christ became a myth under the influence of Paul “even if we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know him no more” because Jesus from Nazareth, the historical figure, has been taken up into the divinity of the Christ. We cannot talk about the Mystery without myth, since we get caught up in the insight that “the name that can be named is not the enduring and unchanging name.” It is the reality behind the name that we are trying to access with the use of myth.

What I am pointing at is that all forms of externalised faith must lead to contradiction and hypocrisy, since we are talking about a paradox. That is, an experience which conflicts with our expectations, and which apparently, though not actually, is inconsistent with or opposed to what we conceive life to be. The paradox is however a construction of our own blindness and inability to gain a full picture of reality. Recognition of this leads us to be humiliated by our sinfulness, and withdraw to the inner chamber. This is the simple teaching of Christ.

Shalom

too simple it would seem …

These wings come at an invisible price.

Military strength does not offset or compinsate for the decay of love and sanity within a nation.

Jesus is like frosted lucky charms.

But if you went through the whole book, you’d see that Jesus’s father isn’t so nice, and if you went through christendom’s history…

Contemplative, at what cost and with what foundation?

I somehow don’t feel so compelled to believe that they want or have access to the reality behind the name, no matter how reveared a dream can be.

Also, why call it Christianity at all?
It’s not the way Jesus would have wanted it, I figure.
Let’s just call it Paulism.

Humiliation…?
That’s a good word for it…

You’re online right now.
Did you read it, Bob?

Hi Dan,

I agree, but there are enough “Christians” who think it does.

I have been through the book, believe me. But you need to understand the meaning behind those ancient words and not just assume you understand at face value.

I’m afraid I don’t understand the question.

Again, here we have to differentiate. I am saying that scripture shows that early Christians understood how important myth was, whereas today, we have lost all bearings and try to use rational thought on everything. Anything that doesn’t stand up to rational thought is rejected – except when it suits us.

Unfortunately, Paul didn’t want this either – but he has been misconstrued to be read that way.

I can think of no other word for it …

Shalom

The Inner Chamber
Mat 6:6 But you, when you pray, enter into your inner chamber, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
In the meeting I reported about in the wretched man thread, there were many people in that meeting who looked a little dejected when I spoke about the inner chamber. I will be following it up there. But what is that inner chamber? What does one do there?

In the past I have heard people saying it is the food chamber in the middle of the house, which would have hardly been a good place to pray. But it clearly stands in opposition to praying on the streets. So the emphasis lies on the “secrecy” of this communion as against the open display of the pious. The chamber (or closet) some place of privacy and retirement (Isaac went into the field, Christ to a hilltop, Peter to a roof). Secret prayer is to be performed withdrawn from everyday life, that we may be unobserved, and so avoid pretension; undisturbed, and so avoid distraction; unheard, and so avoid praying for those listening on.

But what occurs in that room, what does it mean to pray? Is it a reverent petition made to God, an act of communion such as in devotion, confession, praise, or thanksgiving? Is it the intercourse of the soul with God, in contemplation or meditation, or in direct address to him? No rules are anywhere in Scripture laid down for the manner of prayer or the attitude to be assumed by the worshipper. In scripture we read of people kneeling in prayer, bowing and falling prostrate, spreading out the hands, sitting or standing. Diversity is a characteristic of prayer.

The examples of prayer that have been assimilated into scripture show that prayer does have a number of purposes. Perhaps we could use a few metaphors to describe these uses.

THE CHANGING ROOM
Luke 18:14 … every one who is exalting himself shall be humbled, and he who is humbling himself shall be exalted.

Those who enter that inner chamber persuaded that they are better than others have already had their reward. Those who enter the inner chamber aware of the fact that he is unable to be anything but a sinner, gain the rest for their souls that they are seeking. The inner chamber is the place for honesty, it is the place where we figuratively strip off our street clothes and take up the “white garments” given to us so that we can take our place in the realm of God. There is no belonging there without the changing room:

Mat 22:11 … And the king having come in to view those reclining, saw there a man not clothed with clothing of the marriage-feast, and he saith to him, Comrade, how didst thou come in hither, not having clothing of the marriage-feast? and he was speechless.

It is the assumption that we have no need for change that is so dangerous, the assumption that we have the full picture, have found our spiritual balance, and can teach others as a master or teacher. In fact, we are nothing but brothers and sisters, permanently marked by our inability and it is only by humble reception of inspiration that we have anything to say at all. The lack of humiliation is what makes externalised religion so misleading and dangerous.

Mat 11:29 … learn from me, because I am meek and humble in heart …
Mat 18:2-3 And Jesus having called near a child, did set him in the midst of them, and said, `Verily I say to you, if ye may not be turned and become as the children, ye may not enter into the reign of the heavens; whoever then may humble himself as this child, he is the greater in the reign of the heavens’.

THE GATEWAY
Mat 7:13-14 "Enter in by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter in by it. How narrow is the gate, and restricted is the way that leads to life! Few are those who find it.

The inner chamber is also a gateway. It isn’t true that it is just open space and it isn’t true to experience either. There are a million ways to die by misadventure and it is relatively easy to destroy in seconds what had been built over years. Those who heed the counsel and discipline themselves to enter their chamber also thereby practise daily entering “the gate that leads to life”.

THE SANCTUARY.
Eph 2:18-19 For through him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones, and of the household of God

“Those who live by the sword, shall perish by the sword” ~Jesus Christ
The un-satisfied dream of universal justice,
Hanging on a $25 cross at walmart,
Killed by those who he wanted to save,
Almost made me want to cry,
But I got angery instead.

Well, you can tell how I feel about it in my latter words^.

Do they contemplate in shame, in guilt, in pride, in joy, in pain or in confusion? And for whome?

Ah yes… The days of gods and magick…
The days of courage and the immortal soul…

For me, humiliation is one of the quickest and easiest things to muster.
I know myself better then I know anybody else, so I could critisize and insult myself very deeply and horrably, but I don’t want to do that…

Selfishness, Ego, Self-satisfaction:
In the same way as an archer fires his arrow with difficulty, human morality has fired its arrow in an unusual direction. Selfishness is polarized, and seen only in the light of those who are ignorant of the value of other humans around themselves. No matter how vast a mans ego and selfishness are, sufficient compassion and understanding will cause him to do good onto others for his own great and glorious name. Selfishness and ego can potentially empower good will and alturism, but instead they are seen only at their worst. This phenomenon is the father of slave-morality. It is the deconstruction of the ego; sometimes even the hatered of the ego and self.

Truth the bombardment of deconstruction, and the fires of critic, the human mind tries to refine the opinion. They wish to amputate and remove what is judged as unfit. At its best, this is the streamlining and optimizing of existence, at its worst, this is suppressive suicide.

I do not consider a human body to be the property of another man. I do not consider slavery to be just; this is why, when the gods denounce the men, I wonder why they would not instead “stroke the ego” in the same manner as someone would stroke the fur of their beloved pet. Why not say to man: “You are good, but you can be even better, and you deserve it!”

Change through nurturing – is not a form of control. It is instead an empowering act. For this reason, man’s will to control the other is more often seen then man’s will to empower the other, and god does not say:
“All of my beautiful creations. Do what thou wilt.”
Instead god says:
“Sinful man, do what I wilt.”

There is the deconstruction or the construction of the ego, which extends from another man’s will to control his environment. In pain and in pleasure, they do what they were meant to do, whether it be wisdom or madness.

IMO, if you really believe that God has will save your life somehow, that idea of a reward helps make up for this discomfort:

• The humiliating, unnatural shame of having to answer to someone far more powerful then you for everything that you’ve ever done.

Slave-morality:

The god of abraham changed me.

He made me happy.
He made me sad.
He made me hopeful.
He made me mad.

He knew what I needed,
And was there for me.

But so many other times,
I wanted him to love me and reply,
But the line went cold.

It’s like waiting by the telephone at night.
You want him to love you,
You want some attension, some interaction,
…And then you’ve got nothing left to feel but unworthy and low after you’ve been ignored.

It was pretty sad.
I hated myself.
I thought Satan was controlling it all.

god made me frustrated.
So much words,
Never any actions.

god made me cry,
And he broke my heart.

He got my hopes up
With is friends.
They told me that he wanted me.
I thought it was real.

I tried to give myself to him,
In some sort of sacrificial marriage of moral heights.

I bought the rings.
My mom payed for the seramony.
But I just didn’t get what I needed from him.

I felt dead and hungery.
Hopeful and lost.
I had nothing left to cling to other then my frustration,
Because it was freedom’s fault that god can’t rule the earth.

After a while…
I got mad.

I sent him hatemail,
Because the love letters didn’t work.

Nothing worked.
I felt so worthless.

He never called me.
I didn’t want to pretend that I was talking to him
To satisfy my deep loneliness.

Years passed.
I tried to get over it.
I was too scared to cheat on him.
I thought the other gods would be even worse.

I was scared of the divorce.
The legal work looked deadly.
I had faith then.

Now I realize there was never anything between us at all.
There was no relationship to start with.

I was inexperienced with love,
And I didn’t no what to expect from that kind of man.

I was vulnerable.

I was touched by the Jew…

Some days it made me want to die…

Maybe if we all just stop naming everything, and do what it is that needs done, nothing more would need be said.

When people want and they have not, they speek of.

Did you read my two replies before this one?

Bob wrote

No, it is part of the lawful degredation of Christianity into Christendom

Hi Dan,

Whereas the anger is understandable, that is also a sign of “neglect” in a quasi medical sense. It is the inability to care for or attend to an attribute properly – namely, the separation from wholeness and consequently the partial view of reality. In truth, Christ-Jesus died because mankind is blind to this truth of which he was a witness – and that is why the mythical death is repeated over and over again in the liturgy of the church (although it is well disguised, I admit). Our anger should turn into humiliation, because Christ didn’t just die 2000 years ago, put to death by Romans or Jews, he is put to death by us every day.

Throughout history there always has been a scapegoat, someone who carried the blame and was sacrificed to protect the masses. It is this truth that was taken up into the temple ritual with the intention that the rite should cause the humiliation I have spoken about. Beginning with Abraham, the covenant with God was one-sided, because we are one-sided. We are unable to keep the covenant – this is the truth that needs to be acknowledged and humility should be the result – instead, there grew a notion that God loved to smell the smoke of sacrifice.

Jesus was the next step, not just the “pick of the flock”, but someone who personified the Oneness of the Ineffable, who fulfilled the law by being meek and humble in heart, and was the first of the sons of God who would enter into a new covenant, a new quality of communion with the Holy One. A greater injustice could hardly be done and it had its results – until people found a different scapegoat: the Jew. Another travesty of justice and the great sin of Christianity (amongst others) – because if there is one thing that the Cross of Christ teaches, it is reconciliation.

Infused contemplation, as it has been called, is like being steeped into the holiness of God, or being permeated by his spirit. It is altogether something that those experiencing this communion feel they cannot bring about – it is grace and a gift. Leading up to that, one may have spiritual experiences, consolations, visions and revelations, experience enlightenment which in turn may bring about shame, guilt, joy, pain or confusion, but reconciliation and faith is the gift of God, which is what those witnesses confess.

The soul becomes immortal when it no longer hears the ticking of that clock of sin and death and when the soul is free through reconciliation. Courage grows in clarity, and faith can move mountains. Unfortunately, there is a great deal of vanity still attached to “the good old days” – something that has always accompanied mankind – and it is this vanity that is often brought back to life, not reconciliation.

Then you are not talking about humiliation in the same way as I am. It isn’t self-abasement, but the clear insight of who I am, the disillusionment that helps us see a little clearer. It may, as in my case, bring you to your knees at first. It may lead you into seclusion for three years, like with Paul. It does change you – although our nature remains the same. What is different is that I know of my “addiction” and am no longer fooled by sin. I know that humility is the best way and I have an address to which I turn for rest for my soul.

Shalom

Hi Mas,

I think that there would be confusion if we did that, it would suffice if we understood that the names we give things an metaphors for a reality that we fail to fully comprehend - and use names like the tao te ching uses names.

Shalom

I wouldn’t have hurt him.

They killed Jesus because of his blasphemy.
They killed him out of zeal for their idea of god.

I don’t know why the word “we” is used.
There are those who are not so bad.

We need to keep the covenant?

Scapegoating is a historical sign of societies which cannot handle the problems which they themself cause. Jesus died near to the time in which the Jewish nation died [was captured].

It is a sign of civil decay.

At first there is a reason for revolution in the government.
Then relief from the previous stress causes nationalism and zeal for culture.
Later on after the first generation dies out, there will only be residual fragments of the original dreams and the original thankfulness.

Before very long, the civilians totally forget about what they usedto be and why they usedto be it. After the inner decay, the people are stupid and misguided even more then usual, and exploitive dictators appeal to the shallow mannerisms of the flock as a source of control over them.

I wish more people read my posts.

During the holocosts, yes, but that shit was just fueled by politicians.

Semitic fundamentalism still burns strong today, no matter whether it be Christendom, Islam or Judiasm.

In history they have been known to hate eachother, because each of them believe that their god is perfect & has the right to dictate what humans do with their life.

It’s the same old spiritual slavery throughout the centuries.

To me, it felt like the warm blanket of insanity. I just couldn’t pull myself into it. I didn’t want to lie to myself. I didn’t want to believe a god that wasn’t there.

Humans create faith for and within themself, it is not a gift from anyone.

Or… Freedom from self-judgment?

What can I believe in, other then gods messengers, who are always false?

There is too much humiliation, throughout humanity, if the person looks at what they are instead of looking at what they are trying to be and what they were taught to be.

I don’t need anymore discouragement from existence and what I actually am.

Dan~,

I don’t mean to step into the soft stuff, but having been raised ina strict christain home, I too couldn’t figure out why God seemed to be talking to everyone but me. I finally rejected the whole thing. Actually, the rejection was just a re-creation, only the antithesis. Eventually, I saw through my own stupidity, and gave up “God” completely. The moment I did that, I found God. I don’t mean in the creator, personal father figure way, but in just having a sense of something beyond myself. To this day I have no words to convey what THAT is, and I never will. My point is, that we look through that which is to find that which is. We create a fence between ourselves and the universe and spend our lives looking for the gate. There is no fence.

Makes you wonder who you are…
Easy to get frustrated or guilty from then on.

IMO:
Inspiration is not god.
Thank yourself for inspiration. You created or can destroy inspiration and higher states of consciousness.

Do “we”?

This is the same old story I see everywhere.

People fall in love with the universe and feel some kind of intimacy, even though the universe doesn’t give a fuck or respond.

I don’t want to lie to myself, or put hope where there need not be any hope at all.

My apologies Bob, that was more in response to Dan(…squiggle here).

You stated it clearly enough in your initial post, and it would appear that we understand one another well enough, conventions of name are an understood construct of human language and attempted understanding.

Acceptable, as long as the symbols are viewed as less than the object or article to which the convention has been attached.

I disagree. You must be reading a different bible than the one I have. If you are looking for a nice happy peaceful religion then Christianity isn’t it. Conflict of ideas and argument about objective truth is evident from the birth pangs of Christianity. Paul’s letters are a good example and thus half the NT is argument and correction, not simply nice stories about healing the blind and cuddling children. The denominationalism of the church today is natural and healthy and testament to it’s life and vibrancy. Only where the church is completely dead is it quiet and peaceful. The church is in a battle until the end of time. Those who imply that the church should stop fighting don’t understand it’s purpose. Christianity is not a methodology to make the world a nicer place, it is a message of radical change and eternal salvation. Those who would use iJesus words to preach peace to everyone around them are simply misled. Jesus said…

Matthew 10
33But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven. 34"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -

Jesus is only gentle with his sheep. He can be a fearful sight for those who are not or who come against him. You are taking refuge in eastern wisdom because you misunderstand who Jesus was and is.

Revelation 19
11I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. 12His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.”[a] He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

Dan~,

You might have missed something there. I don’t stand outside the universe, I’m part of it. Do I feel some kind of intimacy? Of course. Why not? It’s me. The universrse doesn’t care or respond? You’re here aren’y you? How much more do you expect?

I really don’t understand this last statement. Lie to yourself about what? Hope for what? I don’t do either of those things. The fact that we can’t “know” in some sort of scientific objective way doesn’t mean that it rules out all possibilities.

I’m not standing around waiting for some burning bush to start talking to me, but the patterns of nature say something, even if I can’t say what it is. That isn’t lying or hoping for anything.

Hi Ned,

I thought you might somehow …

So you take the Bible so literally that you prevent Christianity from being happy and peaceful. If you could understand that the greeting Jesus often used “Shalama bayta” – peace to this house and family – you would appreciate that Shalom, Salaam (Arabic) and Shalama (Aramaic) derive from a verb that means to be fulfilled or complete, much more than our contemporary “peace”. If the aim is to be complete, why be at odds? The Shabath is the day of completion and rest.

We know that he foresaw the division that he would cause, which was quite normal for a country split by their differing political affinities and aspirations. If he gathered people to follow the Way, they would come from out of various Sects and Groups. On another note, Jesus consoled the fear that his followers had, that they would be cut off: (Luk 8:48 ) “And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.”

The “tohubohu” and “chôshek” stand in opposition to the creation of light and form. It is order that is brought by the creation, an order that culminates in the shabath – which was made for man. The Sons of God are made whole and go in peace wherever they may go, which explains why they should pass on that peace: (Luk 10:5-6) And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house. And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again.

There is a calmness and imperturbability in these words which is unfortunately lacking in Christianity.

Shalom