Is Knowledge Static?

What I mean by the title, is that people seem to form opinions about things in relation to what they think.

Fair comment?

So if we hold these views, do we suppose them to be ‘the right ones?’

Because although I have learnt alot about philosophy in the past few years, I still hold the (sort of) same views about the world. I just have more evidence to back it up.

SooOo…bringing me to the point I want to get at. What do you think is the practical function of knowledge?

Is it static, or is it constant? Can you ever settle for an answer to a problem and say “THIS IS WHERE I STAND, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT”, or do you have to keep developing, questioning, ripping apart, reviving, enlightening, and working towards some sort of “fundamental”?

I read somewhere that Einstein says its not merely about the facts, but the “capacity for thinking” that you gain by attaining these facts in the way you went about attaining them.

For example, reading alot of philosophy puts you in the mind of the philosopher, not to become a carbon copy of them, but to read and become a better, clearer, more articulate thinker in the field of philosophy.

What you think? Discuss.

(BTW, if this has been discussed, or in a different forum, advise me accordingly. :slight_smile: ) [please]

Sounds like a Plato versus Nietzsche argument. Plato’s ‘forms’ versus Nietzsche’s ‘continual becoming’. I am inclined to agree with Nietzsche, there is only ‘interpretation’ or ‘perspectives’.

I think that in the absence of some catalyzing event or epiphany, most people’s worldview & philosophy is pretty well solidified by about age 25 (and this has been supported by a bit of research). People with a “mature” worldview tend to filter everything through the lense of those preconceptions. Not that younger people don’t, too- they just lack the experience to really have a coherent idea of how the world works and just how they think about it. Their opinions are more maleable and they’re generally more easily swayed by a good arguement, even if it’s sophistry.

Bear in mind that I’m only speaking in generalities. YMMV.

I should clarify that I’m referring to opinions, not ideas of science, etc. Even the most rigid person can read a paper and agree that, say, sacharrin doesn’t actually cause cancer. It’s ideology that tends to get rooted deep in one’s psyche.

Hello, I’ve just joined today, and this is my first post: as this topic is one that shapes my world on a daily basis. To me, knowledge: like life, is fluid - why should something be so: just because you said it at that point in time. In my years of thinking/ being: I have come to undertand that things will just be, and knowledge is one of the tools that helps us along in life - to keep going/ progressing/ keeping on top: knowledge also has to evolve, or we get left behind.

I believe the world and the universe and human behavior is all static and exists with patterns and blah blah,

But human understanding is what is fluid and flows into our little brain in different quantities and qualities (subjective notion of course) throughout our human lives.

But the world still exists as it is regardless of our thinking of how it is.

Yeah, but what makes you think that your view is ‘right’?

Not in the sense of ‘i’m right, you’re wrong’ etc.

When people disagree about things, more specifically, what do you think causes them to become advocates of their own opinions? Why don’t we just agree with the other person? I’m sure this question has been covered in lectures in universities, so i’ll leave that there for now.

I guess my main concern iiiis…

What is more important…

a) Knowledge?

or

b) Your way of thinking or capacity to think?

immagination is more important than knowledge

albert einstein

the world is flat

-Imp

I am not sure if you are responding to the einstein quote with this or not, please elaborate.

Einstein did not say knowledge is not important, he just said that immagination is more important. And, I personally agree.

it was true knowledge at one time, the world is flat. knowledge isn’t worth much is it?

it had nothing to do with einstein, and I agree with his quote.

-Imp

Knowledge is man-made, and isn’t always correct, or becomes revised when more facts arise to back up a theory - ie. degree graduates’ IQs go up by 2 points after having studied, but if you have a naturally high IQ: it can only go up, or stay the same, but never go down ie. innate knowledge!

I do agree that the universe is as is, and sentient beings navigate within it: using innate knowledge to do so: to stay intact/ survive.

Knowledge is not infallible, but it is most assuredly is valuable. How much did you pay for your computer?

Einstein. Even Einstein can be correct on occasion, though it mystifies me why anyone would quote him on social, political, or philosophical matters. He made enough mistakes in Physics, why would we quote him on matters where he is clearly not qualified?

How much did my computer cost? Huh?
I’m typing away on my work’s Dell, and do not own my own computer - I spend my money on clothes, healthy food, and being the best socialite I can be: by partying at the coolest/ poshest/ bars and clubs - hell, why not!

We are all born with innate knowledge/ qualities that we may or may not know we have, and that we utilise as and when the need arises: to survive socially.
Our schooling/ learning/ qualifications is what we learn along the way: to survive vocationally and earn an honest crust.

I guess our innate knowledge is static/ constant, but will/ can be re-defined and added to when replication occurs; learned knowledge is volatile: as this is constantly being updated and revised: by ourselves and others.
I guess this would be represented as a sine wave (like all things can be) the trough being innate/ the peak being learned: knowledge, and I guess we live between these frequencies: each unit’s being unqiue to them.

I like to define living as ‘navigating the world’ to the best of one’s ability: by using ‘what we’ve got’ (both the physical and mental.) :sunglasses:

Hi Will,

my penny worth on the subject. I have less interest in the accumulation of knowlege the golden value is UNDERSTANDING. Some posses huge volumes of so called knowlege yet understand very little of true values. In my life span 73 years I have met all over the world uneducated people who have an intimate understanding of lifes real values. In industry I have worked alongside trained professionals who can add all the numbers and know what the book tells them but give me the person who understands what he is about.

Accumulation of knowlege through education is a must but accept the result may qualify you but does not equip you to handle life. that is a college you attend throughout life

Kevin Taylor

B - The capacity to think.

There are enumerable examples of people who are well-educated but believe in ghosts, UFOs (extraterrestrial), astrology, numerology, religion, etc.

To see the scope of the problem, I would recommend purchasing all three seasons of this show:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00019 … ance&n=130

That’s beautiful! :smiley:

I agree now. Knowledge is useless without USING it, but to use it effectively you have to understand it.

Capacity to think, therefore, trumps on that basis.

Knowledge is the resource. You create anew from that resource of knowledge, to find value in what you know, by understanding it and using it to the capacity in which YOU define. That in essence could be… creativity? (Or plagiarism hehe :laughing:)

Thanks Kevin!

Wow, like… everyone just completely ignored you in your first thread Magsj.

You even pointed out you we’re a posh socialite, fucking around on your work computer, and still nobody noticed you after several attempts to get a word in.

They couldn’t even tell you’re moderator material, just some boring person to ignore.

How you become a moderator with this sort of start?

Carleas, I’m very posh too, can I be a administrator?

This so has to be put in the archives.

I’m so posh. Poshness… posh… pooooooooooooossssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooossssssssssssssdsssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

When you drag that word out, you gotta suck your air back in involuntarily, has a ie sound to it, turning Posh into Poshie, which sounds a lot like Pussy. Might be the origins of the word.

Posssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh

Did you ever get your own computer, or are you still too busy spending your savings getting drunk? I hope Carleas demanded you get a computer before you became a mod.

Poooosssshhhhhhhhhhhhh I’m Sean Connery, I’m so Posh.

:laughing:

I was ignored for a few days more, and I didn’t come back till a year later…