soul being saved?

Subforum: Religion and Spirituality
Thread title: soul being saved?

Yeah, I totally don’t get why people are constantly associating all these religious terms with the mind/body duality discussion :icon-rolleyes:

I just realized I’m being a sarcastic ass (even more than usually). Oh well.

And most of the posters are atheists.

What up with that? :confused:

the reason soul is not a good word…it may imply something about immortality…I don’t want that …the word spirit is not the same as soul…

you are both wrong…

Do you know about the Holy Spirit? Lots of religious meaning. Immortal.

phyllo—I thought the holy spirit was a substitute term for holy ghost…that is part of the trinity…I think you are just being picky…without any substance…

If you are trying to get away from ‘negative’ associations, then changing from ‘soul’ to ‘spirit’ is not moving very far.

Do you have some more specific differences in mind which make ‘spirit’ a superior concept?

phyllo—why are you having so much trouble here…soul is not a good word because it implies something that you have… that needs to be saved to go to heaven…I like the word spirit because it does not imply that…why cant you get this…

If you look in the dictionary, some definition give spirit and soul as being the same thing. Other definitions give them as only slightly different ideas.
Ghosts are also called spirits, so immortality is closely connected with the word.

Maybe I don’t get it because mind/body duality is not a big deal for me. Nor is the idea of having my soul saved. :confusion-shrug:

How do you know there is no immortality?

Well it says spirit is a synonym for soul, so… yeah.

I have always agreed and seen that scriptures often conflate soul with spirit. But none of those people were perfect. And they conflated things that were strongly related but not truly identical by today’s standards (the only perspective you have). By today’s technical standards, a soul is a very different thing than a spirit in the same way that 4.375 is very different than 4.000. They round out to be the same, but there is a significant difference to those looking very close.

james is right on…but I need to focus this discussion because we are getting mired down in definitions…
I am starting a new thread called spirit being saved?

turtle,

Then you have to define “spirit” in the sense that YOU mean it.

I’m just not seeing it. They seem the same to me. Just another way to say it honestly.

exactly…see spirit being saved? thread

for those that want to save souls they can stay here…if you are interested in saving human spirits please go to the saving human spirits…thank you

Essentially the same thing… but ok.

You’re doing the very thing you’re against.

what do you mean