The Information of Meaning

Fall 2021 Summary

It was a wild semester in Dr. Carter’s Information of Meaning course. I hope it is not my last course with the youngest grey haired man I ever met. I loved getting to know him by way of his many stories, jokes, classroom routines, and emails probably more than I loved the subject matter, which is saying a lot. I’m not one to cry in public, but almost want to, thinking about this semester coming to an end. The intention here is not to blub, but to review some of what stands out from the reading assignments this semester, and perhaps tie some of it together. Had I known then what I know now, I would have been recording every song and story Dr. Carter told from the beginning of the semester, and interweaving it into this review. I suspect it would turn into a novel or more to really do the whole thing justice. We have been enriched! His life really should be a movie. Something along the lines of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas meets Forrest Gump. I can neither confirm nor deny this semester was like the first time you (ahem never) drop acid. Absolutely no one could have prepared me for what was coming. Even if it wasn’t the first time. Mind definitely blown.

Charlie Gere’s Digital Culture covered the history of technology up to 2008. The thing that stands out most to me is that this sort of “rationalization” or “signification” (digitization of information into discrete elements) toward efficiency in communication and storage is not new - although advancing exponentially to a point it will outgrow us if we’re not careful - but is something the human has done since we made our first conscious choice. It is that sort of human culture that produced the digital age, rather than vice versa, and it is the sort of human culture we shape and that can continue to shape our technology.

It’s almost like we were patterned to be this way. As we read in Richard Powers’ The Gold Bug Variations (TGBV), digitization is in our very genes - the ones and zeroes of our discrete alphabet-like elements, the base pairs encoded in our DNA transcribed into RNA, revealing the codons of our unzipped amino acids read like words by ribosomes translating them into our proteins, “and on and on” as Dr. Carter would say.

“The God of the scientists, one is tempted to suggest, created man in his own image and put him into the world with only one commandment: Now try to figure out by yourself how all this was done and how it works,” (23, Hannah Arendt, as quoted in TGBV). Arendt’s thought affirms one of my favorite quotes from Galileo about not feeling obliged to forego the use of reason, senses, and the intellect with which God has endowed us.

“And as seekers, we may well discover from science many interesting answers to the question, ‘How does life work?’ What we cannot discover, through science alone, are the answers to the questions ‘Why is there life anyway?’ and ‘Why am I here?’ … In my view, DNA sequence alone, even if accompanied by a vast trove of data on biological function, will never explain certain special human attributes, such as the knowledge of the Moral Law and the universal search for God,” (88, 140, Dr. Francis Collins, head of The Human Genome Project, writing in The Language of God - unassigned). Dr. Collins believes in an evolutionary process that does not exclude the possibility of God’s intimate involvement at every step of the way (205).
In my view, after learning spring semester how cognitive scientists distinguish between human and animal language, it is like God wrote his programmed language in us and for us the way someone engraves a tiny riddle into a diamond that only a jeweler’s magnifying glass can help you read–but as yet we have no interpreter, no rosetta stone that tells us what it all means. We have only our bodies running a program we didn’t design, like we’re AI. The programmed language in our bodies even corrects for errors in the signal. Who designs a program only our bodies can decode? It has to be someone with a jovial sense of humor who understands the way nerd engineers tick and wanted to give them something fun (but of weighty importance) to figure out, like the riddle at the beginning of The Gold Bug Variations (I assume).

We are wise to heed Dr. Collins’ warning against leaving ethical decisions solely in the hands of scientists. A discussion of social construction/evolution of science and the ethico-political implications is also covered in Pandora’s Hope by Bruno Latour. Perhaps we are wise to prepare for…

…a scenario similar to the one we read about in Earth Abides by George R. Stewart, where much of the world dies from a probably engineered virus, or the scenarios labeled “never” or “unacceptable” in Dr. Collins’ book, including “designer babies with precisely predictable outcomes” (269). Yes, the times they are a-changing, aren’t they? But we’re still dignified individuals who can shape the sort of human culture who can swim against the digital tide, right? Earth Abides was actually the second book we read this semester. The digital age hit the reset button back to the Pleistocene, basically. We had to rethink everything about what organizes our cultural fabric, rip out the seams, and start over. COVID-19 restrictions have forced many of us to reevaluate our values and what we’ll accept as a new normal, and we don’t seem to be learning good lessons. Our liberties are worse for the wear, worse than after the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, and science is worse for the wear, especially when it comes to losing public trust. We used to think science was just silly when it couldn’t decide if something was healthy or not - now we think it’s political propaganda and eugenics. It’s as if we stand on a precipice of becoming tools, or becoming aware we’ve been tools for a very long time and will potentially never be pretend-treated like persons again. Digital Culture traced some of the history leading up to this, ironically kicked in to high gear by folks who used to be free-loving hippies. Makes no sense. The worst tyrants have the best intentions. Or some b.s. Oh well.

The two most influential books for me this semester, though, were Pandora’s Hope (Latour), and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Persig. Together with Kant, Hegel, Levinas, etc. they helped me fill out the Venn Diagram thingy I birthed in various courses after a very, very long and complicated pregnancy stretching back to 2007 and even earlier. It synthesizes all my splintered, scattered, disorganized thinking into a tidy, neat, intelligible whole. It digitizes it, if you will. Some say that takes the soul out of everything, but that makes about as much sense as saying sheet music begets silence (save that one soundless song Dr. Carter played at the beginning of the semester, paired with abstract art that was all white, LOL!!!). Nah. Sheet music helps you play… and if there are others around, it helps you all get on the same sheet of music, unless you prefer cacophony. First the sheet music (or at least the order it represents - we can always improvise)… then the actual playing of music… then the dancing. If we choose. And of course it will always be a work in progress. It was sort of designed that way.

A Word on References

I loathe doing references. I would accept demerits in order to avoid doing references. If I ever get as far as an actual thesis, I will probably be paying someone to do my references. Say no to references. Please don’t flunk me for plagiarism. If somebody wants to know the publisher and year, that’s why God made Google.

Ask me for my updated Venn DIagram thingy if you’re curious. I’m actually going to start working on it as soon as I submit this. It’s the one I submitted for the midterm. It is mostly still the same, just needs some tweaking. Maybe I’ll share it without invitation when I’m done, depending on how fast I finish. Thank you for teaching me this semester. Live forever.

References are lame, and you’ve been writing too many Undergrad Essays to boost your GPA.

Yes, life and biology are very interesting, especially when one escapes the dull, dusty, damp halls of Academia.

DNA and Genetics encode the behaviors of life. There are patterns within those codes. All you need to do is study the behaviors of an individual, and then his genetic group (Ethnicity), and then you can begin to parse and deconstruct those patterns and behaviors. The result is what we call “Morality”. The justification of Morality is what we call “Ethics”. The battle of these Ethics and Morals is called “Politics”, Genes against Genes.

The Spiritual Battle of all Life, the Immortal Battle. The Eternal Battle within your Blood (Agon),

Two thousand years attempting to corrupt what the Greek and Roman Hellenes offered to Humanity and Civilization has failed:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdN3c0aWKQk[/youtube]

Don’t have time or desire to entertain racism.

As for reducing morality, ethics, or politics to genetics, the Golden Rule (self=other) is found in every major culture in history…

Pretty sure they’re gonna have about as hard a time reducing that to the genes as they are reducing the mind to the brain.

pshh over pshh

Re: undergrad… well… I don’t think I’m cut out for academia. That’s why I need background music.

P.s. Tell Spotify to fix the track glitch.

open.spotify.com/track/1GxlODOZ … 8ySxq792QJ

cute kid.

Just got hold of this sorry was on the road; but assure you that I am paying close attention don’t feel neglected as soon as home will …

:slight_smile: Your assistance is also needed in the triads thread.

How can I assist you with it?
Give me a hint.

I suspect , not, you jest…

But don’t take it to heart, this is a philosophy forum, Ichthus.

The last reply on there is a puzzle to me. Is it a puzzle to you?

Aristotle‘s four causes came up in my class this evening. I’m not sure how well either the professor or I understood them. I felt she really did a good build up to it in terms of talking about the two worlds. I tried to give the example where the information in DNA is like the blueprint of a table (human), but she wasn’t sure it would work, because DNA isn’t just idea. …unfortunately she is the one professor not recording the lectures, so I can’t go back and review and untangle and make clear. But at least I have the original text. Well, in English.

Anyway.

Very Meno’ is kind of puzzle. Today’s problem .Jesus’ problem as well between the seen and the understood

Blessed are those who can understand without seeing.

…not to shew ignorance for knowledge for it’s own sake strictly variable …m? But whose help whom?

Trying from the planetary cosmic teacher. Works contrary at inception.

If it hurts, it must be …?

Open up and say ah. an optical malady.

Meno to Meno don’t know what your talking about.

That figures…

And isn’t this exemplary to the conditional ’ source- resource problem particularly characteristic to Meno, with which a universal doubt occurs, and that neither kniws; putting to rest re-visittion?

Even old MN an science aristoteles may have had a glimpse of, where did the ionic come from? Child’s play? I am keeping that ’ secret until he grows up.

Even if other wise thought.

“Meno to Meno don’t know what your talking about.”

You wouldn’t like Sisyphus when she’s angry.

Decode that.

Why would he get angry? Because of the unending struggle that entails a natural process of eternally obeying the laws of gravity?

And in fact I do like the eternal view from up above, in spite of a litany of underground choruses’ silent agreement.

It may be dread is the word in feeling as the stone does as it’s hurled down from the height, much as it’s Yung hunN component felt symbiotically related to it?

Are you saying such book causal effects must remain down there , in a singular cave ?; condemned to an equally singular Compression of no ro exit? But the neadle can always breath through a whole that can perceive and travel through unperceived crevices…

U mot wrong or right, it just depends on a relationship between foal and informal structured.

The door is really never can close, the exit from inside is the entrance from outside: so the locked and impossible world may be a mere.fantasy.

Alienation follows logically through that panic the closure of which still stands in a world of united hear and seen opening.
I see no threat in opening : reopening a previously open environment, closed for a bit for fear of differences.

I pray to sysyphus to remember when masks were an unnecessary and woren merely to express, not to hide an internal tragedy. While secretly dreading such resounding evocation of a mere white discrepancy.

Quietly closing this chapter, but then burying his face in his hands, departs in a veil of tears.

" oh why do things like this not happening recurrent To Me?

I think Maggie is right, no one knows where Meno stands.

Even Meno.

The hidden fear of most vampires; fear of rejection.

I dare you to say it clearly to my face. Good luck with that.

But then, how can a symbiotic relation be fractured, on the basis of general principles?

No way. or, the hi way.
Liberalism failed in the new left turn, because such lack of credible posts on the contrary.

“Psychology and philosophy share the same roots: both study primarily of human beings, although one revolves around what the human condition is (philosophy), while the other tries to understand why the human condition is what it is (psychology) and how it functions exactly, given particular contextual locations.”

I gotta protest Meno.

Philosophy is the study of wisdom. Meditation on the human condition might or might not fall into that category.

Psychology is the study of thought, which is only a subset of the human condition as a whole. The mistake on this point is what made us vulnerable to neobudistic sophisms such as “you are not your mind, there’s also your liver and other stuff.”

I might agree that they are boths studies of human things. But there is a leap there.