Why evil is not necessary

In reply to @Dan1’s op

My position stands as…

Degrees/a scale, not opposites.

In wars, both sides kill people… yet one side is deemed good/right, the other side deemed evil/wrong

Opposites = manipulation of the masses / a scale = seekers of truth justice and harmony

That was like playing a game of ‘ping pong’ with both hands tied behind my back…

…but yea… y’all are worth laughing at. :woman_shrugging:

When argument is proven to hinder progress… as evidenced, in this [deserted] thread.

Trousers, being > substance

IMG_3173

Is evil not based out of ignorance?

but here’s an interesting juxtaposition:
Hosea 4:6 & context

Do we agree on what evil is?

Wiki says, " Evil is commonly seen as the opposite, or sometimes absence, of good. It can be an extremely broad concept, although in everyday usage it is often more narrowly used to talk about profound wickedness and against common good."

In any good story, the bad character is necessary to keep a certain tension in a story. Tension is needed in a variety of cases, not only to let an arrow fly, but also to make music on an instrument. Opposites play a significant role in human discourse, contributing to the richness and complexity of communication and thought.

Opposites also form the basis of dialectical reasoning, where ideas are explored through the tension between opposing forces or perspectives. This process often leads to deeper insights and understanding as contradictions are reconciled or synthesized.

I think there is a case for saying that the “evil” in mythological writing has this role, and although there is always a different perspective, it doesn’t have to be as dark as often portrayed. The opposites that I see in human history should in fact work together, such as the warrior and the sage, the male and the female. As Yin and Yang portray, there is always a little of the opposite in all of us.

Evil is failing to acknowledge, in other words violating, recognized consent. First you must recognize consent. Evil is not necessary in order to recognize consent, or to acknowledge it.

Long story short.

Sorry, but those are just words that intend to suggest content, but are empty.

Try addressing something someone has said and presenting a counter argument. That is what I was trying to point out.

In a colloquial sense, “evil” is anything I am not happy with.

I’ll respond to you once you’ve listened to this playlist 5,000 times.

“Bob”

Okay then, you have no intention of discusing the point.

Veni Vidi Vici

See last posts.

…that is why, placing good and evil on a scale -rather than pitting them against each other as opposites- helps alleviate that problem, of daubing all that we dislike or misunderstand, as evil… or as George Santayana puts it:

IMG_3230

She compares herself to Gaius Julius Caesar. Silly girl.

I did no such thing.

A good point, but I would refer to my statement:

The line between good and evil runs not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either — but right through every human heart .” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

1 Like

I disagree.

Tension is needed in a variety of cases, not only to let an arrow fly, but also to make music on an instrument.

We are neither weapons nor instrumentals, plus… that is a different kind of tension, must we emulate it?
Not everything we see/hear, we must do.

Opposites play a significant role in human discourse, contributing to the richness and complexity of communication and thought.

…an example of that being?
I benefit little, from that endeavour…

For related discussion:

I agree. When we look at good and evil being the absence of it, is good rooted in wisdom and if so, the absence of wisdom results in evil.

Can one be both wise and evil? The absence of wisdom is what causes evil in my eyes.

I suppose it depends on what you are reading, but almost all sources have the balance of good and evil, with the good having a slight advantage – unless it is a tragedy. Evil plays a crucial role in the Hero’s Journey by serving as the primary antagonist or obstacle that the hero must overcome. Without evil or conflict, there would be no tension, and the journey would lack depth and meaning.

Antagonism evokes strong emotions from both the characters and the audience. Whether it’s fear, anger, or despair, the presence of evil intensifies the story’s emotional impact. It keeps the audience invested in the hero’s journey, rooting for their success, and feeling the highs and lows of their experiences.

It wasn’t so much a call to emulate it but a metaphor for the natural tension that allows a result. Even our bodies have antagonistic elements, particularly in the context of biological systems and physiological processes. One of the most well-known examples of this antagonistic relationship is the interaction between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.

These two systems often work in opposition to maintaining homeostasis or the body’s internal balance. For example, when the sympathetic nervous system is activated during a stressful situation, the parasympathetic system restores balance once the threat has passed.

I think you do benefit. You just don’t see it connected to what we are talking about.

Opposites provide a sense of balance and harmony. Just as in the examples of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems or the insulin and glucagon hormones, the interplay between opposing forces helps maintain equilibrium within our bodies and minds. Think about physical exercise, when we push or pull against a weight that effectively opposes us or exercise our bodies outside our comfort zone.

But contrasts also create opportunities for growth and learning. We often learn and grow the most when faced with challenges or situations different from what we’re accustomed to. These contrasts push us out of our comfort zones and compel us to adapt, evolve, and develop new skills and perspectives. Facing opposites builds resilience and strength. Overcoming adversity or navigating conflicting situations can strengthen our character, resolve, and emotional resilience. These experiences teach us valuable lessons about perseverance, adaptability, and problem-solving.

Opposites add depth and complexity to our experiences. Life is rarely black and white; instead, it’s filled with shades of grey and a multitude of contradictions. Exploring these contradictions and embracing the complexity of human existence allows us to better understand ourselves, others, and the world around us.